What song did you learn?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter exigeracer
  • 44 comments
  • 3,579 views
I'm actually a singer that happens to play guitar.
I have lately learned some of the vocals for the latest Toby Keith album "Big Dog Daddy" and a lot of the Vocals from Johnny Lang's new album "Turn Around".
As far as instruments: I've spent the last couple of years playing around with the guitar parts of "Tears in Heaven"
 
weezer-say it aint so
oasis-shes electric
oasis-cigarettes and alchohol

and i recently gave up on
dallas green-like knifes, mainly because ND4SPD broke a string on my acoustic, and the song doesnt sound right on electric
 
Just started working on Velvet Revolver's She Builds Quick Machines last night. Took me an hour to work out that the snare drum wasn't set properly.
 
Last song i learned was LAmb of God - Now You've Got Something to Die for

I haven't learned anythign for a while now but after playing Through the Fire and the Flames on GH3 I want to play it in real life but I know it isn't that easy.
 
Bad Religion - The American Jesus

(I love that riff, and too my suprise it was extremely easy)
 
Buckethead - Jordan.

Well the bass part anyways.
 
The verse and chorus of Masahiro Ando & Isamu Ohira - Moon Over The Castle.

First thing I've bothered to learn since March-April time, which was the first 2:30ish of Iron Maiden - Phantom Of The Opera.
 
J.P. Wayne: Tutorial Jazz 1(?)

Most recently:
Warrant(?): When the Children Cry
Metallica: Nothing Else Matters
Iron Maiden: Aces High
Alan Parsons: Blue Blue Sky
Extreme: More Than Words
Warrant: Uncle Tom's Cabin

However, I have only learned rhythm, lead comes next.
 
I've been frustrated with my playing ability so I took a step back and reevaluated myself. This has changed the songs I learn and songs I had thought I had already thought I had gotten down. Many songs I've listed in this thread I've forgotten how to play, lost interest in playing, and either never learned properly or I've become more demanding with myself so I'm going back to a lot of those ones to re-learn. Anyone been in this situation? Any advice?

Lately:

Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany's
This one's got a tricky transition between chords if you're running open chords. If you slur them it works out nice and sloppy, but still sounds good on acoustic.

Eels - Mr. E's Beautiful Blues
This one's got three parts throughout, so I've learned them all and distribute them as I see fit. Fun to do, but kind of repetitive alone.

Seven Drunken Nights
Irish drinking song that I was introduced to by The Tossers. Easy and fun to do whilst drunk and trying to remember all the things the guy finds and what his wife tells him they are.

Social Distortion - Story of My Life
Classic song that I don't have the vocals down to perfectly as Mike Ness has that harmony threshold he wails into that is hard to confidently replicate. This one still needs work.

Cake - Shadow Stabbing and Sheep Go To Heaven
Both are practicing my rhythm. Stabbing is hella hard to get exact but it's getting there. Songs like these that are so rhythm-based are hard to get good alone on acoustic.

Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
I saw a friend of mine was listening to it on their little MSN "Listening to..." feature. I had totally forgot about this song so I popped it in and was amazed that I had overlooked this piece. It took a little while, but I'm warming up up to it, and slowly feeling it "click."

Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way
This one also has a good irregular guitar part that I am slowly picking up. I'm trying to refrain from any vocals at this point and focusing on the strumming but it's hard not to belt out GO YOUR OWN WAY, you can go your own way!

--

Thoughts?
 
Bad Religion - A Walk

Metallica - Master Of Puppets (the intro anyway lol)
 
(original artist unknown)- Rodeo Clowns

Point Blank- Born and Raised in the Ghetto (at the request of my brother)
 
Light Grenades by Incubus. Guitar. Not hard for me to pick up, and it's a blast to play.
 
Unless I've been horribly misled, Jack Johnson wrote Rodeo Clowns.

I figured that he covered it, but that may have been G.Love and Special Sauce doing that... Brilliant song, nonetheless.

Learned how to play a bit of Lazy by Deep Purple on the guitar as well as all parts for I Saw Her Standing There by the Beatles. One of these days I'll actually pick up some tablature.
 
Back