What the Weekly Racing Series has Taught Us...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 52 comments
seriously though, i enjoyed getting away from the world-class cutthroat comps i've been in the last year and a half and having the opportunity to show some new OLR players the ropes and assit them in setting up thier cars. nice to make a difference to young drivers. also keep in mind that even though GT3 makes beating a dead horse look like giving birth, it is important to continue cultivating your skills so that when GT4 comes out, you will be ready. already i have seen exponential improvement in all the racers and another cool thing about relatively new guys is that the cheaters have been real easy to bust ;)

P.S. boom, steroids are bad.

Well, it looks like the weekly racing series has come full circle for me.

I was once at the total bottom and working my way up... I hit a peak and although my abilities have improved, Im back to step one - trying to keep up.

This marks an event for me though, a revelation if I could say so.

With a climb from straigh mid pack to what felt like an impossible hieght at the begining has showed me that even being a pro at the gtp, means nothing compared to whats out there.

Racers I once thought to be invinsible are now being shown to me as just another one in a pack of "super racers."

This board vs board challenge has brought an air of excitment to the gtp and will hopefully serve as a catalyst towards a better overall standing and respect for the gtp.

However, as an individual racer, my greatest lesson here at the gtp has been one thing...

There is no such thing as the perfect lap.

You can always lose time, and if you cant do it, someone else can.

i've learned that your time is only limited by their only being 24 hrs in a day....given enough time, an am. can beat a pro.....but its amazing that in half that time a pro can clean house....i thought i was good, but thats until i played others who shared a similar passion of gaming/racing. i appreciate everyones dedication to the sport. its admirable. thanks

-The weekly race series has taught me that no matter how fast you go, there is always someone that goes faster... No wait, I knew this already... :P

-The weekly race series has taught me to use Boombexus's setups because they work good for me. :cool:

-The weekly race series has taught me ( based on the previous statement ) that I still royally suck at making a good setup :lol:

-The weekly race series has taught me to play mind games... the solution here is to make people think you are slow while you might just be a tad faster. Hence they might not try enough to improve their time and you can take the win. Or atleast move up a few places. :D

I think thats enough for now. More to come when the weekly race series teaches me some more. :mischievous:

My knowledge of the car settings has increased a bit. I never used to play with anything but the gear ratios. Also, realized no matter how fast I think I'm taking the corner without taking the right line, I'm not going as fast as I would be with the right line.

I also realized ASM sucks.

hey guys ive put up some ideas for a gt4 weekly race series in a thread. check em out and see if you like em.im in talks with boombexus.if he approves, ill be setting up a meeting to discuss the rules of the tournaments.

Haha and I've learnt that I am willing to turn in 10 laps for each week's race on a specific track, but in Simulation mode I hate (strong word :D) those long races ! :lol:

And I learnt a whole bunch of tuning RWD cars as well. Especially with this week's crazy British Heavy Weight :eek: swaying it's arse all over the place the moment you give some throttle !

There have been four very important races for me:

Week 28, Skyline GTR.
I thought that my friends and I were pretty damn fast. I found this website, and I learned that there are some people out there that are good. This first OLR really put some good sight on everything. I was slow, and I really needed to step things up.

Week 35, RUF RGT
I learned the value of.... ditch-hooking(?). Whatever it's called, you put the inside tire in the dirt to help you turn. I found out that helps a whole hell of a lot. Also, hit the gas when your facing the right direction, not when your going sideways to try and save time. The direction of power and the direction of the car should always be parallel.

Week 36, S2000
Even if you think you have something won, don't stop just because you think you've won. There is bound to be more time you can pick up that someone else found. Also, racing to win isn't a very good strategy. Racing to become a better driver is what it's really about.

Week 40, Evo VII
No matter how fast you think your going by throwing the car sideways (unless you need to stop really fast, but your still biffing it) or not taking the correct line, or chosing different acceleration and deacceleration points..... Your losing time. I used to think, "Well, I'm taking this corner a little wide, but I bet I'm keeping a higher speed, so its okay.". Nope, not even close... I hope this will stay in my brain. :D

Ive found im not as slow as I thought and ive also found there are people here who can make my best times look like ****. There is a good amount of challenging racers and races. Its fun especially with 8 weeks of holidays coming up. :)

I've only participated twice so far for the weekly races, and it has taught me one thing

I suck

like what others have said before, I am able to own most of my friends at GT3, but that is only because I have a higher powered car than they do or somethign along the lines of that

I've never touched the settings except for changing hte Auto-level for the full-customize tranny

I've only started playing a little bit with settings when i first started drifting in GT3 about 2 months ago.....and now with the weekly races, I am paying closer attention to my settings in order to get the best results/times

but in the end, I come to the conclusion that I suck. lol

I have found that since i learnt to drift, ive become way better at settings and car control. because of drifting i use the "stick" and i found that my throttle control has benifited too. I can kick all my frineds arses at GT3 Inculding my dad. but when it comes to most of you guys its another story (at least the Div 1 and half Div2).

well i gotta give boom a huge thanks because today i decided to try and finish gettin som gold licenses. so i go to my first one which is the camaro at seattle. i hop in start driving do 1 run and what do i see. BAM 14.197. took me one try after literally trying thousands of times to get it before. i completely blame boom for makin me use the camaro last week. my god i almost broke my controller as i jumped up and it flew out my hands.

It seems that every week has taught me something important. Each week I drive a little faster, each week a better tuning of the car comes to me a bit easier, each week, I am able to push myself harder and farther than the week before, and each week, I am a better driver.

Hi
I realize,now that I dont have nearly as much free time,how much fun the Weekly is.I really do appreciate the time it must take Boom to develop and manage a new challenge every week.
I hope to get back to running every week again.Every point made in the above posts sums up the way I feel.
After Christmas I should be back every week,so that I can continue the drive to get into Div.1.
Just my .02...................

Later,
cinjun8

This competition has taught me to better utilise the analyser. I like to jump in and have fun, slide the car and enjoy myself. I'm sort of the "stab and steer", "with reckless abandon" or "reactionary" type of driver. This works when one is intimate with a particular course and car or lucky.

During weeks 14-15, I had extra time to really analyse my saves and have a more methodical approach. I would compare the laps in the analyser and could see what was good and what was bad, with a particular corner (assuming I did get it right). I could run laps with the visual cues in memory and retry the execution of a corner (again and again....), after all, one of the benefits of practice is to ingrain a behavior into the subconscious mind. This made for a more efficient use of practice time. Instead of running lap after lap without a specific reference (leaving too much to chance), I would work on one corner at a time and, hopefully, string them together for a faster overall lap.

Also, it helps when someone gives me a tip on their technique for a corner, one that I may not have imagined.

Sometimes, I will download replays and view them in the analyser to compare with my saves. I once, entered all of the sector times into Excel and labeled the saves. I setup the worksheet with a function that would calculate the lowest number in each row, giving me the fastest sectors. I could then, just enter the sector times and see if there were any improved sectors in a save, then look at those saves with the sectors I most needed improvement. It's a lot of typing, but I felt it was worthwhile when a lot of saves are involved. This is getting pretty far away from fun, IMO.
Some people really enjoy competitions and derive great pleasure from them. For those people, all that typing could be fun if it yielded improved results. Hmmm....nah.:lol:

I also, have gotten really fast at this button sequence: Start_dpad-R_X_dpad-L_X_Start_dpad-R_X_X.

BTW, I have enjoyed the WRS immensely, thank you.;)

P.S.
I wrote this back in June '03 and the bit about loading the sectors into Excel, to determine which replay has the fastest section, still holds true.

Nice write up ODP.

It's really cool to see how everyone has progressed in their GT3 skills and to read the stories of things people have learned or picked up on.
I'm really proud to hear that so many people have learned something or improved in thier abilities.

Thanks to everyone for making the Weekly Race Series a success.

:)

I just learnt that i dont suck so bad after not playing it for a year....hehehehehe

But when it comes down to tuning or anything like that.... im a bit of a dunce... thats why im back ready to take it all in....

:D

I only played in the WRS for the past 2 weeks, so the only thing I learned is that I don't have enough available time to seriously tune and practice. I'd rather have a Monthly Race Series :lol: :lol: :lol:
BTW, the short for it : 'WRS' always sounds strange to me, it's too close to the word 'worse' and it reminds me that I'm not good at all...

Back