What to Expect?

United States
United States
GTP_UnicornBacon
NOTE! (This isn't any hype or to set expectations per say... it's just a way to see how the community feels about a new game being released on the Playstation 4. I realize it's very soon and I should probably wait, but being my first gtplanet thread I'm just curious to see what people think.)

After news of polyphony digital's announced ps4 title everyone is already speculating, as any would, towards what to expect. Of course over the last two titles in Gran Turismo has reached the point in which a company is has high expectations, and while Polyphony hasn't failed yet and has been the creator of one of the greatest and oldest racing simulators even with high competition, Polyphony after Gran Turismo 6's release has brought the question of what will PD do next?

Call Gran Turismo 6 what you want, a arcade, simulator, old and new blend or just a title to put out for the 15th anniversary, the game had flaws the community didn't agree with. Personally the titled was a great message to show PD and what they can create on old gen as the consoles shift. It's amazing a gaming company can last 15 years and with game play, you can feel that.

People saying the engine and graphics need to change, but with this franchise we can expect the great movement many of us felt with gt3 and 4 on the ps2 and the change of Gran Turismo 5 on the ps3. The community should, and does have full confidence in PD, to paint the next big picture on a blank ps4 canvas. Where any features, cars and tracks have the greatest chance to excite the gran turismo community and bring back a new gran turismo fan fair that hasn't been felt in years.

A true feeling of virtual pioneering could be on the horizon, but I'm curious to see what the community would love to expect from PD after seeing six fulfilling titles to the franshise. And what to expect from the FIA and PS4 engine.

Last edited:
After news of polyphony digital's announced ps4 title everyone is already speculating, as any would, towards what to expect. Of course over the last two titles in Gran Turismo has reached the point in which a company is has high expectations, and while Polyphony hasn't failed yet and has been the creator of one of the greatest and oldest racing simulators even with high competition, Polyphony after Gran Turismo 6's release has brought the question of what will PD do next?

Call Gran Turismo 6 what you want, a arcade, simulator, old and new blend or just a title to put out for the 15th anniversary, the game had flaws the community didn't agree with. Personally the titled was a great message to show PD and what they can create on old gen as the consoles shift. It's amazing a gaming company can last 15 years and with game play, you can feel that.

People saying the engine and graphics need to change, but with this franchise we can expect the great movement many of us felt with gt3 and 4 on the ps2 and the change of Gran Turismo 5 on the ps4. The community should, and does have full confidence in PD, to paint the next big picture on a blank ps4 canvas. Where any features, cars and tracks have the greatest chance to excite the gran turismo community and bring back a new gran turismo fan fair that hasn't been felt in years.

A true feeling of virtual pioneering could be on the horizon, but I'm curious to see what the community would love to expect from PD after seeing six fulfilling titles to the franshise. And what to expect from the FIA and PS4 engine.
Gran Turismo 5 on PS4... What? Typo right there dude and well to answer your question, there really isn't much to expect yet since the announcement of GTS was really vague and there isn't much detail to even know what's in GTS yet but this is PD we are talking about.

Keep expectations low (or rather: realistic and only based on official announcements and videos/screenshots, not on desire or assumptions) and don't board the hype train, that's all I can advise.

The potential is huge for this title. Unfortunately, that means people will expect it and be disappointed if it doesn't meet their expectations in the end.

This ^

I made the mistake in the past of boarding the GT hype train and being disappointed. Unfortunately, GT is no longer the leading racing title IMO. Forza supplanted them many years ago starting with Forza 3.
It all started with their standards vs premiums nonsense which dramatically reduced the quality of GT5 and GT6 and quite honestly made GT a complete laughing stock with only hardcore, ardent fans defending Kaz and PD to the end with their last breath.

Expect expectations...shortly followed upon release by mass disappointment. We do like to get our hopes up don't we!

We know its not GT7, so we can't really anticipate it will be as big as GT6 was when it releases. However, the fact its a GT title on PS4 is a start. I wouldn't bring my hopes up until we get more information on it to be honest, because we really don't know where it stands in the franchise at this point.

It's a start for PD. A PS4 Gran Turismo game, which the community has been eagerly awaiting. The upgrade in graphics, physics and sound alone should be enough to warrant a purchase. The new cars and the FIA partnership are all added bonuses.

VBR
Expect expectations...shortly followed upon release by mass disappointment. We do like to get our hopes up don't we!

To be fair, we could expect exactly whatever Polyphony advertise GTS to be, and based on the last couple of games there will still be disappointment when features either underperform or are straight up not what they were supposed to be.

Expecting anything is probably a waste of time at this point. Let the game come out, and judge it on what it is.

I will be expecting nothing special. The main thing is that no matter how good the game comes to be, there will always be somebody who isn't satisfied.

I just read the news, Drive Club using VR @60fps drops car count from 12 to 8. If GTS is going to run @60fps and PD are pushing the PS4 to the limit, we'll see 6 cars like the original.

I just read the news, Drive Club using VR @60fps drops car count from 12 to 8. If GTS is going to run @60fps and PD are pushing the PS4 to the limit, we'll see 6 cars like the original.
They will probable stick to 16... I dont see how they can encrease grid size to 24 or 32 as we hope with PS4. You also forgot that GT games on PS3 are target and run in 60 fps( it has drops i know) and PD just nees to make it stable. Thanks to PS4 power it should not be a problem. Driveclub in other hand is made with 30fps in mind so they could push graphic to the max and now its logical that they need to downgrage visuals and car count.

They will probable stick to 16... I dont see how they can encrease grid size to 24 or 32 as we hope with PS4. You also forgot that GT games on PS3 are target and run in 60 fps( it has drops i know) and PD just nees to make it stable. Thanks to PS4 power it should not be a problem. Driveclub in other hand is made with 30fps in mind so they could push graphic to the max and now its logical that they need to downgrage visuals and car count.
More than 16 cars is definitely possible and Project Cars has shown this to be true. It's a question of where the priorities lie. Do you want 45 cars on track but with a reduced polygon count? Or do we need 250,000 - 500000 polygon count cars? Of course the trade offs are not that simple but the fact remains you can't always have everything maxed out on the ps4.

More than 16 cars is definitely possible and Project Cars has shown this to be true. It's a question of where the priorities lie. Do you want 45 cars on track but with a reduced polygon count? Or do we need 250,000 - 500000 polygon count cars? Of course the trade offs are not that simple but the fact remains you can't always have everything maxed out on the ps4.
Yes its posible but I think that PD will try to put full quality cars in GT on PS4 (500 000 poly per car) as they are created so that can be hard even for PS4. So we will se...

GT5P had 16 cars and hi-res graphics but less content. I'm hoping for the best in GTS, yet keeping my expectations low. After 17 years of Grand Turismo, I finally woke up. ;)

Gran Turismo 5 on PS4... What? Typo right there dude and well to answer your question, there really isn't much to expect yet since the announcement of GTS was really vague and there isn't much detail to even know what's in GTS yet but this is PD we are talking about.
Sorry for the typo :( I get its vague and I wasn't really sure if I should post this. Just curious I guess.

Keep expectations low (or rather: realistic and only based on official announcements and videos/screenshots, not on desire or assumptions) and don't board the hype train, that's all I can advise.

The potential is huge for this title. Unfortunately, that means people will expect it and be disappointed if it doesn't meet their expectations in the end.
Agreed, I should of waited a little longer now looking back. I don't mean any thing by it. Just curious.

It will probably have Gran Turismo Sport on the front of the box, at least.

Until they change the name to Gran Turismo SPORT Extreme Master Sergeant Shooter Extreme MAX GTi Turbo (with optional spoiler pack).

I rather prefer a proper GT game instead but I do expect GTS to have decent offline content as well. Really surprised by this reveal which was leaked some months back. But looking at the trailer has got my hyped. So I am glad at least we will have a game in 2016. Releasing beta version is also great idea :cool:

Very excited/curious about this whole gts thing. Looking forward to more details being released. What I'm expecting at this point? Seeing as it'll be the host for the FIA championships I'm expecting all FIA certified tracks as the track list. Not sure how many that might be, 15 perhaps? I'd expect 1 or 2 to be new to gt tracks and a car count of no more than 150. But I also expect to be completely wrong about all of that one way or the other. Anyway I'm excited!

Pit lane limiter?
Chose your fuel level at the start of race/practice?
Warmup lap, grid formation?
All racing cars, (with no **** road cars)?
Engine stress?

All the things I've mentioned are in Motor "sport".

Back