What was your most hyped game(s) during each of the generations you played through?

• Thread starter ICEYOU3
  • 45 comments

ICEYOU3

(Banned)
United States
Selatapura, Usea
I'll begin, I started gaming in the 5th generation on the original PlayStation, but didn't become an avid gamer until Generation 6 so I'll start there.

Generation 6 (PS2/XBOX/GC/Dreamcast)
- Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2), I was in my preadolescence for the majority of this period and it was a magical time to be a gamer, it literally rained video games during this time period. You could pick up a game from a bargain bin and chances are it was going to be a hit (That's how I discovered Gran Turismo 3). I still play Tekken Tag twenty years after it's release and it's honestly my favorite game of all time at this point. It was more than just a fighting game, it had a certain vibe, style about it that you just don't see in games these days.

Generation 7 (PS3/360/WII)
- Tekken 6 and Gran Turismo 5/6 (PS3), after the 6th generation I was ready to move on to bigger and better things. I didn't start playing video games competitively until these two games dropped in 2009/10. I consider the 7th gen my favorite gen and my prime as a competitive gamer. Gran Turismo 5 (and to a lesser extent GT6) greatly impacted me. The racing league I used to run started here, the games influenced my tastes in music moving away from crappy dubstep to elegant genres like Jazz and Contemporary, it influenced my sense of aesthetic as well as increasing my passion for cars ten-fold and lastly pushed me harder to try and achieve my dream of becoming a car designer someday. I met lifelong friends on GT5/6 and I don't think there's been any other franchise that has had the same kind of impact on me that Gran Turismo has had.

Generation 8 (PS4/ONE/WIIU/NSW)
- Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4), I catch a lot of flack from the fAnBoIs whenever I say this, but I didn't like the PS4 and felt the console was a low point for Sony (even know it really wasn't). I'm a massive Ace Combat fan and during this time the franchise's future was up in the air after a rash of poor sales and decisions that almost killed the series. Development for it was troubled and Namco even threatened to cancel the project, the game eventually launched and proved to be quite successful and was well received. If this game was canceled or had failed the PS4 would have been a dud to me. It saved what was already a mediocre generation for me. I only own eleven games for my PS4.

Generation 9 (PS5/SERIES)
- Gran Turismo 7 (PS5), yes the generation is still young but I can't think of any other future releases that I'm super hyped for besides GT7 at this time. In fact I'm dedicating the next year to improving my race craft so I can shoot for the game's platinum trophy. I'm very excited for this game, being a big car guy as well as a avid racing fan. As I've stated on this forum before, I'm optimistic this generation feels like it's going the way of the 7th generation. It's like all the console makers and developers are going all in and we as gamers will inevitably win. It will be an interesting era indeed.

So that's it, my top-3 favorite franchises of all time are Tekken, Ace Combat and Gran Turismo (as you could have guessed). Looking forward to reading your stories below. Oh! And it's pronounced ICEYOU...

Last edited:
If you count Handhelds as well.

Generation 6 - V8 Supercars 3

Generation 7 - Pokemon Black (still my favourite game to date)

Generation 8 - Mario Kart 8 (only reason I brought a Wii U)

Can't say for Gen 9 but Switch is in a weird bubble between both gens

I don't know the generation numbers so let me do it by console. I'm afraid I'm quite predictable and boring:

Sega Mega Drive II (aka Genesis) - Probably Sonic 2 & Knuckles, I remember the delirious joy of plugging my oldest, most favourite game in the top of a weird-looking cartridge to play that old game as Knuckles, who naturally was really cool in that '90s rad dude mascot kind of way.

Playstation - Metal Gear Solid, no doubt. And I say that as someone who loves cars almost solely due to Gran Turismo. I remember the first time I heard of it, a full page ad near the back of a magazine, showing Snake, the back of the helipad truck and REX; I'd been really into Transformers and Power Rangers as a kid so I was well into anything mecha-adjacent and MGS was definitely that. Front Mission 3 and GT2 are close.

PS2 - sorry to say it was MGS2, if we're strictly talking hype leading up to release? I remember my mum got me Zone of the Enders for my birthday, she actually got the guy in Game to sell it to her a day early, and I didn't even play it for weeks because I was just too excited about the MGS2 demo. I played the actual game to death, but MGS3 was better. Hitman 2 has to have an honourable mention, as does Gran Turismo 4.

Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure. I think I single-handedly caused the demise of the Dreamcast by never actually buying any games and playing the hell out of demos (there was one with a 6-wheeled tank, something like Red Dog? MDK, Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil: Code Veronica...) but of the handful of games that came with it, Sonic Adventure was just so good. I've tried it on PC since, but I think the fuzzy CRT visuals and subpar mono speaker of my old TV actually added a lot of character, not to mention the Chao "mini"game on the VMU. I miss that controller.

Xbox - Need for Speed: Carbon. I only played it on my brother's Xbox but I remember loving it, as short as it was.

PS3 - Hard to say. I've kept my PS3 solely to make sure I'll always be able to play MGS4 if I ever get the urge to, but I don't know if I'd say it was my favourite PS3 game and I haven't had that urge in years, almost a decade at this point. I have a lot of fond memories of Rainbow Six Vegas, playing it online with my brother and a couple of friends when moved away to university, but I wouldn't say that's my favourite game either. The Gran Turismo games were just bad... But if we're talking hours played, it was probably actually Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Xbox 360 - again, my brother's, he gave up on it after it RROD'd but I fixed it and used it to play Forza Motorsport 4, which I thought was amazing. It felt a bit reminiscent of Sega GT on the original Xbox to me, never a bad thing. I loved driving insanely difficult to drive cars on Fujimi Kaido, but the disc drive had a fault which meant it would switch off mid-game so the track would stop streaming in, the car would fall through the floor and then it crashed.

PS4 - Spider-Man, no doubt. Such a good game. So good, in fact, that I almost decided to try to get a PS5 just to play it again with faster loading times and frame rates. Death Stranding gets an honourable mention for just being so weird and yet compelling. And Horizon: Zero Dawn, that was good too, but Spider-Man edges both out.

Ouya - actually do have an Ouya, somewhere, which I used to stream my PC games back before Valve expressed any interest in that. No Brakes Valet was by far my favourite native Ouya game. There wasn't exactly a lot of choice, of course.

As far as handhelds go, I've only had a GBC, GBA and Vita. My favourites on those were basically all the Metal Gear games... Ghost Babel on both of the former two and Portable Ops + on the latter (I'd already played Peace Walker HD to death by the time I got a Vita).

The hells that?
Arguably the first affordable mass market home computer in the UK. Back in 1981. Before that, machines were too expensive for most people.

It was a standard spec machine with dedicated games, so I guess it was akin to a console.

It had 64k! of memory and you loaded games via cassettes that took minutes to load (and sometimes you got a crash to desktop when it finished loading 😅).

They sold 1.5m units (of which dad bought 2, because the keypad was laid over something like a circuit board that moved, so keys either stopped working with time or changed to other keys...!)

For all its many faults, as a kid back then it was unbelievably exciting to have one.

Imagine the excitement of people buying the first Playstation or Xbox. Except more than 10 years before they even existed...

It's always hard to limit picks to avoid posting a short novel, but sticking to games that really hyped me up in particular does help. Music has a lot to do with how games strike me, so for fun I've decided to include some selections.

3rd generation:
  • Final Fantasy (NES) -- The induction into my lifelong affair with RPGs. I appreciate how brutal it can be. An unlucky insta-death strike to your white mage in the darkest level of a cave might mean hiking all the way back to town. Dungeon excursions really mean something. I've played plenty of other NES games, but this was and is THE game.
Original 2A03 Battle Theme

4th generation:
  • Final Fantasy VI (SNES) -- The peak of the franchise. The intro portion will always remind me of afternoons in the back porch of my grandfather's house around Xmas 1994, playing this on my SNES. Nobuo Uematsu was at his best in this one.
  • Super Metroid (SNES) -- A masterclass in game design and wordless storytelling, across a map that is a joy to explore, particularly when pulling off any of the tricks the pros use to venture where a novice is not expected to be.
FFVI - Searching for Friends

5th generation:
  • Mechwarrior 2 (PC) -- A mecha simulator with a proper sim feel and unforgettable scenarios and music. The DOS versions of the trilogy (there were two expansions) have been preserved quite nicely thanks to DOSBox, and still shine over subsequent Mechwarrior games. People actually still play NetMech, the network multiplayer EXE.
  • Xenogears (PS1) -- I neglected to dig into this broken masterpiece until 2015, prodded by the wait for Xenoblade X. I'm glad it took that long, because I would not have appreciated it the same when I was younger (I played the demo when it was current and wasn't smitten by it). This game and the Xenoblade franchise reignited my passion for RPGs after my interest waned through the '00s.
MW2 - Silent Thunder

6th generation:
  • Enthusia Professional Racing (PS2) -- Top-tier handling physics, innovative gameplay, a refreshingly plebeian car list, a memorable original soundtrack, an atypical attention to detail. I don't really need to explain to many of you. Other devs really ought to have come up with something more like it by now.
  • Live for Speed (PC) -- My first true-blooded sim, with physics few sims can rival to this day. I credit much of my driving skill to late nights spent playing this with a wheel. Going into it after Gran Turismo 3, this game spoiled me and negated being able to enjoy Gran Turismo 4, which led to the heated discussions about GT4 and EPR that cemented my place here on GTPlanet. :D
Theme of Enthusia

7th generation:
  • Forza Horizon (XB360) -- Sim physics finally freed from the prisons of circuits. This game dipped a toe in the vast potential of that concept. In spite of its several faults and physics quirks, I racked up over 20,000 miles driving around Horizon, Colorado. I can also thank it for introducing me to Porter Robinson. Nurture is probably the most inspiring album I've heard in my life.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) -- Like Xenogears, I almost slept on this one and played it in 2015 (it was great; I got to play three Xeno games for the first time in one year). It hit me like Final Fantasy I all over again; a new beginning.
FH1 - Porter Robinson - Language

8th generation:
  • Rain World (NS, PS4, PC) -- Go check it out on the eShop, PS Store, or Steam. Just do it. If it looks interesting, please try it. Don't go very far into looking it up, because it's best to go in blind. Fair warning: expect deaths. Not like all those games that go out of their way to be difficult and deadly, but because life isn't fair, and this simulates life.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) -- Like @neema_t, I enjoy big robots, so I was captivated by the first footage of the mecha in this game. I got so excited I made a superfluous GTP thread. I'm torn on which Xenoblade is my favorite because I want this one to be my favorite, but it is so very flawed compared to the others, yet it does certain things better.
Xenoblade X - THEME X

9th generation:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (NS) -- Again! Mainly to point out you can play it this legitimately definitive edition on the Switch if you have one.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Torna - The Golden Country (NS) -- I don't know how Monolith Soft pull off producing a game of such high quality that extended to 300 hours of play before replaying anything. And I started in again for NG+. Beautiful and enrapturing games.
  • [Next game from Monolith Soft (Xenoblade or unknown)] -- I have full confidence in these wizards. Tetsuya Takahashi is a madman. I think a first glimpse is going to arrive any month now.
Xenoblade 2 - Gormott

Nicely formatted, you seem to be big on JRPGs. I love Japanese games myself but I just can't get into roll playing games. I tried scarlett nexus, sadly it wasn't for me.

Edit: did you not like FF7?

Last edited:
@AISUYU -- I almost included FFVII because I was certainly hyped going into it and while playing it. 🐺 I enjoyed it and still like it, but I consider it a step down from FFVI, and the beginning of the souring of my relationship with FF. It was a turning point for sure.

I dunno about the FFVII Remake. I scooped it up from PS+ and should delete games from the PS4's HDD (which I hate having to do) to try the full version sometime; it did seem like combat was a little better than FFXV based on the demo.

Since you're an Ace Combat fan, you should know that another entry I almost included was the PS2 Ace Combat games in the 6th generation. I only cut them for the sake of length, haha. :guilty: "Zero" from ACZ stood in place of Enthusia's theme song before the cut. Excellent games, helping make me a fan of jet fighters (and older fighters) without any other significant military geekness. My best friend introduced me to Ace Combat with AC2 and AC3: Electrosphere on his Playstation (my window into the PS1 world as a Nintendo kid). AC3 was pretty special. I've also had chances to play Air Combat 22.

Last edited:
Very nice, AC3 is one of my top favorites in the series. You've played AC22? Impressive, because not many have.

Great topic for a thread!!!

PS1 - Resident Evil 3 - after beating the first 2 games countless times the prospect of exploring the streets of raccon city made me super hyped for number 3, is it still to this day my favourite RE game.

PS2- MGS2 - now this was a tough one, the jump in quality from PS1 to PS2 made every new game from a franchised I loved seem like it would be the next best thing, GT3 and FFX are close runners up but the hype for MGS2 was the biggest I have experienced, oh and that demo!!!!

PS3- GT5 - Again a close one, The Last of Us ran it close and ended up ultimately being my favourite game of the generation but for hype itself after such a long wait between entries Gtplanet, GT5 was by far the most hyped game which I rushed out to buy.

PS4 - Resident Evil 3 - my favourite RE game was finally getting remade, the demo was amazing, things were looking good, felt like the hype I used to get for games in my younger years, then release came, finished it twice and sold it on, felt ripped off by Capcom!

PS5 - Battlefield 2042 - thought why not include my currently most hyped game of this generation so far, I think battlefield is back people ;)

Gen 2(?), ZX Spectrum - Lemmings
Yes the machine was ten years out of date by the time Lemmings was ported to the Spectrum but that's the only machine our family had. I was so excited about Lemmings because I'd sneakily played a version on an Acorn in school computer classes when we were meant to be learning. The Spectrum port was monochrome but otherwise a perfect recreation of the version on the 16 bit machines.

Skipped a few generations, my next one was Gen 5, PlayStation: Gran Turismo
Probably the first game I bought on day of release, back when there were a dozen shops in town that sold videogames - no need to pre-order or queue up at midnight. I'd been reading the magazine previews about the "TV quality replays" (hmmm - good but not quite) and wealth of content. This was one of the first games I saw advertised widely, I think even the Champions League football matches had GT adverts the week it was released.

Gen 6, PS2: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
I was late to the PS2 party so Vice City was already Platinum by the time I got my machine. San Andreas was basically Vice City but bigger and although many say Vice City was the better game I disagree, I loved the fact there were three separate regions and a ludicrous variety of cars/boats/planes to steal.

Gen 7, PS3: Red Dead Redemption
I bought my PS3 on the strength of the previews for RDR. GTA for cowboys, what's not to like?

Gen 8, PS4: Red Dead Redemption II
OK I might be getting a little predictable by this stage. I don't have that much time for gaming these days but love open world games like this where for the most part you can play for half an hour at a time.

Gen 9, PS5/Xbox Series: Flight Simulator
I doubt this will stay my "most hyped" game of this generation, but right now I'm counting down the hours until the Xbox version is released on Tuesday. As you can tell from my console choice from previous generations I'm a PS player through and through, but have bought an Xbox ready for Flight Simulator and Forza Horizon 5.

Don't blame you one bit! I'm a PS fan too, but Sony doesn't have 💩 for Flight Sim nor Horizon! Xbox's portfolio is arguably more diverse.

I have only had Playstation until 9th generation.
6th gen- Gran Turismo 4, Need for Speed Underground 2, Midnight Club 3, Burnout 3, NBA Live 2005.
7th gen- Gran Turismo 5, Skate 2, Burnout Paradise, NBA 2K11, Grand Theft Auto V.
8th gen- Wreckfest, Driveclub, The Ctew 2, Gran Turismo Sport, GTA5 "next gen" version.
9th gen- Gran Turismo 7, Forza Horizon 5, NASCAR '21, Forza Motorsport (8?).
Bonus games that will probably happen but might not release this generation- Grand Theft Auto VI, Skate 4.

Based on systems I’ve owned and currently own…

PS1: Driver 2 and Resident Evil 3. There were other PS1 games I liked more but pre-release hype really wasn’t a thing back then unless you or one of your friends read gaming magazines. Internet was hard to come by in the early days and online gaming media weren’t that common either. Most of my favourite PS1 games I didn’t know existed until the day I bought them.

PS2: GTAIII, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2 and The Getaway.

PS3: GTAIV, GTAV, Red Dead Redemption, Gran Turismo 5 and The Last Of Us.

PS4: Red Dead Redemption 2 and Uncharted 4.

Xbox One: Forza Motorsport 6

PS5: Gran Turismo 7

Xbox Series X: Microsoft Flight Simulator and Forza Motorsport.

Last edited:
What was your most hyped game(s) during each of the generations you played through?
Surely this is just the game or games from each generation that either had the biggest marketing budget or best reviews, or both?

If you mean which games you wanted to play the most, isn't that just "favourite" rather than "most hyped"?

Last edited:
Based on systems I’ve owned and currently own…

PS1: Driver 2 and Resident Evil 3. There were other PS1 games I liked more but pre-release hype really wasn’t a thing back then unless you or one of your friends read gaming magazines. Internet was hard to come by in the early days and online gaming media weren’t that common either. Most of my favourite PS1 games I didn’t know existed until the day I bought them.

PS2: GTAIII, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2 and The Getaway.

PS3: GTAIV, GTAV, Red Dead Redemption, Gran Turismo 5 and The Last Of Us.

PS4: Red Dead Redemption 2 and Uncharted 4.

Xbox One: Forza Motorsport 6

PS5: Gran Turismo 7

Xbox Series X: Microsoft Flight Simulator and Forza Motorsport.
Look at that...

We used to get THREE GTA games on ONE system...

Now we get ONE GTA game on THREE systems...!

Surely this is just the game or games from each generation that either had the biggest marketing budget or best reviews, or both?

If you mean which games you wanted to play the most, isn't that just "favourite" rather than "most hyped"?
Not necessarily Assault Horizon was one of my most hyped games of 7th generation and while it had some redeemable qualities it was a disappointment overall.

Last edited:
Not necessarily Assault Horizon was one of my most hyped games of 7th generation and while it had some redeemable qualities it was a disappointment overall.
But... you hyped it?

So you went around telling people how awesome it was, but you didn't like it?

Last edited:
Look at that...

We used to get THREE GTA games on ONE system...

Now we get ONE GTA game on THREE systems...!
GTA Online ruined GTA as we knew it.

Same thing happened to Konami and PES with last week's announcement.

Companies adapt to the market and milk whatever gives them the most money, why bother creating a whole new map, characters story etc when you can sell expansions and cosmetic items online for a 8 year old game and make record profit.

It sucks, the hype for a new GTA game was always exciting.

I have only had Playstation until 9th generation.
6th gen- Gran Turismo 4, Need for Speed Underground 2, Midnight Club 3, Burnout 3, NBA Live 2005.
7th gen- Gran Turismo 5, Skate 2, Burnout Paradise, NBA 2K11, Grand Theft Auto V.
8th gen- Wreckfest, Driveclub, The Ctew 2, Gran Turismo Sport, GTA5 "next gen" version.
9th gen- Gran Turismo 7, Forza Horizon 5, NASCAR '21, Forza Motorsport (8?).
Bonus games that will probably happen but might not release this generation- Grand Theft Auto VI, Skate 4.
Yeah I'm pretty hyped for NASCAR 21 as well, it should be a massive improvement over the shovelware heat games before it simply because of the new engine.

No, I mean the excitement leading to release or whenever you bought the game.
That's not what "most hyped" means though. In this context, the verb "hype" means to promote or publicise something excessively. If a game is hyped, a company has promoted it to excess; "most hyped" is the game for which the most hype has been created. That would be the aforementioned "game or games from each generation that either had the biggest marketing budget or best reviews, or both".

What you're talking about is games for which you are hyped (meaning "excited" in this context), not games that are hyped. Really the question here should be "What games were you most hyped for during each of the generations you played through?".

And in any case it looks like people are talking about games that they liked the most each generation, rather than those for which the most hype was created or for which they were personally most excited about whether the end result was good or bad.

Personally, the only games I've ever been "hyped" about were the Gran Turismo sequels - with varying results. Everything else I've either bought to see how it is or it's been a gift.

It had 64k! of memory
It had 1k of memory, which you could officially expand to 16k. 64k was possible, but unusable.

The Spectrum had 32k, then 48k, then 128k with the second generation of Spectrum+.

Last edited:
I think people catch the gist of what the thread is about famine lol
Well it confused the crap out of me, and it doesn't look like the responses are entirely on-message either.

And in any case it looks like people are talking about games that they liked the most each generation, rather than those for which the most hype was created or for which they were personally most excited about whether the end result was good or bad.
I’d say hype equals scrutinizing something to the point where you become more and more confident the end result is likeable. If you feel disappointed by a game, then it’s likely you weren’t sufficiently hyped for it, as the hype phase would otherwise have brought up warning signs to even out expectations.

Hmm first computer i had was the c64 and when wwf wrestlemania came out, me and my brothers put our money together and got that. Decent game but as will become a recurring theme the hype never meets the expectation in your head.

Next the master system, but wouldnt say got hyped for a game as unless you bought magazines you didnt really know when games came out. They just turned up on the shelf one day.

I can remember the hype for sonic 2 as well as they renamed it sonic tuesday. Think it even made the six o'clock news but it never really took my fancy.

I would probably say for this generation it was double dragon. Had played the arcade and would look at the box art in the shop for weeks, trying the old bart simpson tactic of hoping someone would buy me it if i stood there looking at it. Eventually did get it but well once again within 10 mins you think what the hells this?

Megadrive. Easy one this. Mortal monday. Man what hype this game had.

Stumbled upon it in the arcade and when the computer beat me and ripped my head off, rather than be dissapointed i was dumb struck. This actually was half decent on the megadrive. Still play it to this day.

Next was the ps1 and too be honest never really got hyped for any of their releases but having played doom on pc doom 2 was probably the most hyped this generation. Good game that. Maybe gt2 on the ps1 as the first one hooked me on the series and got gt2 as soon as i could but didnt get hyped for it.

Ps2 due to the internet taking off, was easier to get sucked into the hype and track a game. The announcement of hitman 2 got me mega hyped. Classic game that didnt dissapoint but the others in the series did i got just as hyped but they never matched the second one.

Ps3 a few here to be honest. Gt5 probably the most hyped and even went out at eight in the morning to get it but well big letdown. Half the features promised werent there and not that good a game. Also deus ex, as a big fan of the first to see this franchise rebooted was awesome and had so much potential. The trailers were pretty cool but half the stuff they used never appeared in the game and it just wasnt as good as the first. Missed that free roam, experimentation of the first.

After so many failures on the ps3 i just gave up getting hyped and would let the review scores from honest fans do the hyping for me

Mind you flight simulator has got me a little hyped. Even swapped to xbox just to play this game so hope its worth it when it downloads.

Last edited:
Back