What Weighting Should I use for Macro Photography?

terminator363
When doing super macro shots should I use: Matrix, Center Weight Avg., or Spot?

Evaluative or partial.

Just kidding...just use whatever you usually use.

I tend to work off the histogram anyway. The meter is just a guide...check the histogram to make sure you get the distribution of tones you're after.

Generally speaking matrix (or evaluative on Canon) is the most sophisticated, centre weighted the most predictable and spot metering I've never bothered with on digital. Used to use spot metering on film when I wasn't sure how the other metering patterns would react but you need to meter, lock exposure then recompose and shoot pretty quick or the camera loses those settings....think I get 4 seconds to half-press the shutter and keep holding it until I take the shot or start again.

Spot metering or partial seems most logical bit truth is it doesn't really matter. You just need to get your exposure right. Having a macro flash set is best if needed. You probably have to lower compensations.

terminator363
I'll just use evaluative. I absolutely hate how my camera doesn't have a proper exposure meter. :irked:

I guess you mean incident meter? The reason they don't build those into cameras is you may not be standing in the same light as the subject. That and if you put on on top of a camera it wouldn't work if you turned it sideways.

Basic light meters are not that expensive if you want one but if you want to use one for macro you would need to know about light loss at close focus distances and compensate for it.

Back