what went wrong with GT5?

United Kingdom
Sheffield UK
Jonesy-ov-s5
I decided to blow the dust off Gran Turismo 5 Prologue seeing as I hadn't played it since 2010.

since I have a new ps3, I had to start again so I bought a Honda Integra Type-R DC5.

I was amazed straight away at how realistic the car actually sounds compared to the one in GT5. the one in GT5 sounds like a hair dryer and nothing like it should but on prologue it sounds brilliant.

i also thought the car handles better in prologue than it does in GT5, infact the whole physics engine feels better in prologue.

i don't think i can go back to playing GT5 now that i have noticed this.

so what went wrong between prologue and the full release? how could they mess the sounds up so much because there is lots of cars in GT5 that share the exact same sound as eachother.

could it be down to it being rushed and fans demanding it when kaz needed longer?

if you have prologue still, get it out and see for yourself and see what you think.

Complaints.
50210aac1861334ce7014f5a.png

Complaints everywhere.

We have just received a hot batch of GT6 news - and you bring up one of the oldest questions? Yes...we get it, GT5 has some dumbass flaws, get over it.

And when people bring up the bloody engine noises, it really infuriates me. :irked:
Two 'words': User BGM

Last edited:
Complaints.
*snip*
Complaints everywhere.

We have just received a hot batch of GT6 news - and you bring up one of the oldest questions? Yes...we get it, GT5 has some dumbass flaws, get over it.

And when people bring up the bloody engine noises, it really infuriates me. :irked:
One 'word': BGM

Bit rude.

He's justified his issues and is asking what others think rather than launching into a tirade. I'd say this was probably one of the nicer 'complaining' thread.

Back on topic, I never got round to spending much time on GT5 Prologue. I thought that I'd somehow spoil GT5 for myself because I wouldn't be diving into it's new look and feel afresh.

But a few Youtube videos later, and I agree with you. Prologue definitely sounds better, to me at least. I'm by no means an expert.

Complaints.
50210aac1861334ce7014f5a.png

Complaints everywhere.

is there somewhere that says once GT6 is announced you are not allowed to talk about previous versions?

why once something new is announced, it be a game or a console, everyone just forgets about the old?

i was just baffled why they seemed to have gone backwards with GT5.

sorry i made a thread :irked:

I've seen some videos on GT5P and I really like the menu system and the feel of navigating them. The sounds remind me of menus of games on the previous generation of consoles. I like that.

I wish I could own GT5P, so I could experience it on my own. But from what I've seen and heard, it sounds better than the full game.

Complaints.

Complaints everywhere.

Nice edit... NOT.

I like how you said the OP was an unnecessary complaint when he actually wants to know why the full game is (in some aspects) worse than the preview game.

Last edited:
I've seen some videos on GT5P and I really like the menu system and the feel of navigating them. The sounds remind me of menus of games on the previous generation of consoles. I like that.

I wish I could own GT5P, so I could experience it on my own. But from what I've seen and heard, it sounds better than the full game.

ye i too think the menu's seems better and the select sounds feel classic.

also noticed on prologue when you crash a car, it sounds normal like you would expect. but on the full game when you crash, it sounds like someone banging on the side of a panel van.

Bit rude.

He's justified his issues and is asking what others think rather than launching into a tirade. I'd say this was probably one of the nicer 'complaining' thread.

Back on topic, I never got round to spending much time on GT5 Prologue. I thought that I'd somehow spoil GT5 for myself because I wouldn't be diving into it's new look and feel afresh.

But a few Youtube videos later, and I agree with you. Prologue definitely sounds better, to me at least. I'm by no means an expert.

i first got a ps3 in 2008 and thought prlogue was the real deal. never knew it was a taster lol.

i can remember getting the ps3 home (it was the GT5 Prologue package) and getting excited about playing a new Gran Turismo on a monster machine and feeling some what disappointed when all i could do was do some events and not being able to do any licences or tune my car and do proper races.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not that i'm going to get into this discussion again but did you seriously just suggest that background music is any sort of solution or fix to the poor vehicle sounds?

Not that i'm going to get into this discussion again but did you seriously just suggest that background music is any sort of solution or fix to the poor vehicle sounds?

Looks like it.

I meant User BGM. :ouch:, and yes.

(I don't care if an annoying little girl can't believe it's her birthday.)

If you're really that anal, and can't stand the sound of an in-game car - stick on some tunes and move on.

Last edited:
Which still serves no difference in regards to engine sounds, graphics and physics. It's the equivalent to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "Lalalala".

Sorry, I had a bit of a misunderstanding regarding what was asked.

Yes, if you have some sort of problem, where the sound of a CG car annoys you - you have two options:

• Turn off sound effects, or
• Turn on some music

Whinging about it solves nothing. Especially since GT5 itself has now reached it's final moments.

So you're either suggesting to race with just music or in total silence?

Do you realise how important sound is in driving and motorsport? No offence, but your suggestions to the OP are terrible. Complaining does works, patches and DLC prove that, if the whole World just put up with what it was given everywhere and were told not to criticize, almost anything made would be shockingly poor and we'd all be miserable.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a little bit of quality in a product, people pay good money towards immersing themselves in these CG cars. It's certainly cheaper and safer than doing it for real, not many people can afford to buy a race car, hire a whole team and partake in some form of international championship.

Sorry, I had a bit of a misunderstanding regarding what was asked.

Yes, if you have some sort of problem, where the sound of a CG car annoys you - you have two options:

• Turn off sound effects, or
• Turn on some music

Whinging about it solves nothing. Especially since GT5 itself has now reached it's final moments.

whinging does solve things. it gets the attention of PD and makes them realise. or does it 💡 no scrap that last bit, they don't listen.

EDIT: Nevermind - discussion about something, that I find anal, isn't worth pursuing.

Carry on.

I will add (following your poor argument above):

• We begged for new features and a-lot more popular cars - We got a pathetic set of cars (excl. Aventador) and a few tracks.

• Plus, the highest percentage of the updates involved fixing bugs and hacking.

So yeah...

I'll add to the "poor argument" to counter your poor argument, you're basically saying that if tracks had this much detail, then we should shut up and deal with it. The track detail here is on par with GT5's sounds. You've got a track surface which is shaped a bit like Cote D'Azur, what more could you need? Don't like it? Put your TV in direct sunlight so you can barely see it. Awesome.

That^ sorta' thing nowadays wouldn't cut it. Whereas the engine sounds are something people can deal with.

And I can see you're going to start coming out with nonsense counter arguments.

That^ sorta' thing nowadays wouldn't cut it. Whereas the engine sounds are something people can deal with.

And I can see you're going to start coming out with nonsense counter arguments.

This is where I'm unsure where your logic is going. You can make out what the car is, make out what the track is, and the physics allow you to drive, how come these don't cut it but the sounds do?

And with all due respect, the way you replied to the OP is going to get nothing but nonsense arguments.

I feel bad that guardian has been banned because of a thread i made.

He seems to have posted quite a lot of replys on this forum too.

I have decided im not going to use the forums anymore as my grammar is poor which i cannot do anything about.

Already had a warning for poor grammar and it is clearly never going to improve so i will stop using the forums.

---EDIT---

On my mobile so some words end up with the wrong letters in.

Last edited:
I feel bad that guardian has been bannes because of a thread i mase.

I have decided im not going to use the forums anymore as my grammar is poor which i cannot do anything about.

Already had a warning for poor grammar and it is clearly never going to improve so i will atop using the forums.

:( Sad to see you go so soon.

Good choice getting the old Prologue out from the dust. 👍

So what went wrong between prologue and the full release? Could it be down to it being rushed and fans demanding it when kaz needed longer?

Honestly, I think so.

What a lot of us would consider a complete game is most likely very different to the image Polyphony have in their minds. I feel, although image quality in a game is important, nowadays, PD prioritises it compared to what someone like yourself would consider for a better experience - sound.

I don't think we'll ever see a perfect version of GT. It would just take too long to have image, sound, physics and whatever else to all be spot on. There's always going to be compromises.

is there somewhere that says once GT6 is announced you are not allowed to talk about previous versions?

Not at all, I still enjoy watching videos from Gran Turismo 2. I haven't played it in over a decade, either. Same goes for GT4, I'm even planning on starting to play some of the older titles.

Just because it's old, doesn't mean we should forget about them. There's no limit to when a game becomes obsolete. Especially GT.

GT_Fan_1990

Already had a warning for poor grammar and it is clearly never going to improve so i will atop using the forums.

Hey, it isn't your fault at all bro. The reason he was banned was his fault not yours. Don't feel bad about it. If you were the one causing a problem, I am sure a moderator would have told you in some way.

Far as grammar. My grammar isn't good at all. Some people are better in different subjects than others. Just try to keep your spelling in check, and you should be good.

Enjoy your time here bro. Thumbs up.

That's your choice, and you're free to leave if you please.

But the rules aren't so much that your grammar needs to be 100% spot-on, just that you try your best and your posts are readable. If you're genuinely trying, it'll show and things will be just fine. 👍

The rules aren't because the moderators are Grammar Fascists, but because there are loads of members who have english as a second language, and it makes it easier for them to understand and take part in discussion.

I hope you don't decide to leave for this, but you have my best wishes if you do.

You need to ask yourself did the car handle "better" or "more realistically"

Obviously the handling and physics engine is the flagship success of GT5, and I would chalk up your new development as, GT5P handled 'better' because it was 'less realistic'

Sounds on the other hand are completely relative. I think the sounds in GT5 are perfectly fine and thus your argument is invalid

Sounds on the other hand are completely relative. I think the sounds in GT5 are perfectly fine and thus your argument is invalid

Sounds are no less objective than physics. "Does it sound like the car" (or in some particular cases, "Does it even sound like a car") is no less measurable than physics accuracy; and just because you choose to ignore the results of such a query doesn't make the query invalid.

I feel bad that guardian has been banned because of a thread i made.

Guardian chose his own path of how to act to other members. You did nothing wrong by making this thread.

Last edited:
I sold my GT5P copy back in 2011, GT5 is just bigger and better, I went back to GTP once because of the graphics but I noticed that the tyre sounds where exacly the same as GT1 so it turned me off instantly, there's also 0 sense of speed in Prologue.

Prologue was a good demo but with the full GT5 release, there was no point in going back to Prologue.
Maybe you are just feeling nostalgic...

Back