What will it be of GT once Kaz retires or well...

• Thread starter Fat Tyre
  • 240 comments

Would you continue to buy GT games if Kaz would not be in charge?

• Yes

Votes: 123 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • Depends (expand on comments)

Votes: 79 36.4%

• Total voters
....To be clear, I ain't no anti-PD or whatever. I'm just saying, a fresh new blood can, and will, inject an idea or two.

If it's an outsider, even better, 'cuz let's face it, you sometimes do need a different perspective to see a bigger picture.

Remember Tomb Raider? Crystal took over from Core when the original creators ran out of good ideas and the franchise got stuck in the rut.
And GT series is dangerously close too, you know....
Now, I'm not a PCars advocate, but seeing its gameplay vids make me salivate pretty hard. It's making me seriously consider getting one of the two current gen consoles for it. The actual racing bit of PCars just makes me feel a little sad playing GT6...
Ooooops, off topic. My bad. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
I'll buy it if it's a good game. I don't care who makes it. It could be made by space aliens who type all the code with their buttocks for all I care.

I didn't buy any other racing game because they had a rockstar dev lead. I bought them because I thought (or I knew) that they were good games.

I'll buy it if it's a good game. I don't care who makes it. It could be made by space aliens who type all the code with their buttocks for all I care.

I didn't buy any other racing game because they had a rockstar dev lead. I bought them because I thought (or I knew) that they were good games.

Agreed, although space alien buttocks might make me a bit more cautious than the average EA game would.

Since when do sales of a 5 year old game have anything to do with DLC from the last 18 months? Keep moving those goalposts and eventually you'll score buddy:cheers:
Well, maybe the passion Turn 10 has is for money. That might explain the credit card slot built into Forza 5 for that DLC, and all the other microtransactions in it. ;)

Besides, the last thing I'd judge the passion of a developer on is DLC. If that's one of your big yardsticks... well, that's interesting, but I look at many other things in a game. And listen, gaming journos mention that P-word in association with Kaz more than any other developer I'm aware of.

If the direction of GT radically changes under its new master, then I probably would lose interest in the series and stop purchasing it.

I like what GT is and what it aims to be. And despite GT5 sucking and GT6 being somewhat lackluster, mostly since it's what GT5 should've been in 2010... I don't think the core formula of the GT experience is at fault. They don't need to reinvent the wheel, they just need to go back to giving us a significantly more meaty single-player experience like the older games used to... it's sad that GT4 probably has more single-player races in it that GT5 and GT6 combined.

Well, maybe the passion Turn 10 has is for money. That might explain the credit card slot built into Forza 5 for that DLC, and all the other microtransactions in it. ;)

[citation required]

How quickly people forget GT's hilariously ill-thought-out microtransaction plan that would've required over $100 real life dollars to buy a single car.

Besides, the last thing I'd judge the passion of a developer on is DLC. If that's one of your big yardsticks... well, that's interesting, but I look at many other things in a game. And listen, gaming journos mention that P-word in association with Kaz more than any other developer I'm aware of.

What would be a better yardstick for judging a developer's passion? Providing promised features a year and a half after initial release?

Gaming journalists also rated one of the series higher than the other since they've both existed.

This, for me. GT at one point was bought by me because the title on the box, and by extension, the people behind it. That won't be the case for me anymore, for both good and bad: I won't actively ignore it simply because it's a game by Kaz & Co either. If GT7 is a great game - and at this point, the series needs that, and surely Sony wouldn't mind it either - I'll pick it up*. If it's simply a good one, maybe I will, eventually. But I'm done with assuming before knowing the final product.

* - This is under the assumption that PD eventually do make good on their word and bring the Course Creator to GT6. If they don't, I've no reason to believe them on any other future endeavours.

Part of me thinks the future of Gran Turismo would be better off under the leadership of a new person. GT6 has been a huge letdown for a lot of reasons. That's not to say it still isn't a decent game. A Gran Turismo virgin, like myself, had no expectations going in on my purchase. I've experienced hundreds of hours of fun. Still, I am floored that it took over a year for some Day 1 promised features and we are still waiting on others with no expected delivery date. That's sad.

Kaz is a rock star now. Go let him be a rock star and be the "face" of Gran Turismo. But get someone new into the office who wants to stay in the office and get things done. Kaz can go race and make appearances and do all the other promotional stuff.

[citation required]

How quickly people forget GT's hilariously ill-thought-out microtransaction plan that would've required over $100 real life dollars to buy a single car.
Yes, and we have to confront it all the time don't we. Or maybe it's so hidden people haven't even noticed it and many forgot.

I didn't, but it has been mentioned as something that many are glad that SONY hasn't made a big deal about it, and PD increased payouts and added hefty Seasonal rewards around it, so I'm unaware of anyone that felt the need to even bring it up, till recently. Though I had a feeling certain people would. ;)

What would be a better yardstick for judging a developer's passion? Providing promised features a year and a half after initial release?

Gaming journalists also rated one of the series higher than the other since they've both existed.
I'm sure you're aware of my position on that. I'd much rather GT7 appear as soon as possible than the team spend much effort on an "old" game. And to me it's increasingly, painfully, last gen. For instance, I can't see any Course Maker in GT6 holding a birthday candle to anything the team could accomplish on PS4. Or a Livery Editor. And Movie Maker is either impossible or unworkable on PS3, depending on how you take Kaz's remarks. People would much rather capture video from Forza 4 as mess with its replay recorder, with the long processing time just to render 30 meager seconds of video.

I seriously want to move on to the vaster greener pastures of PS4, and I hope Kaz and the team are doing that full bore.

As for those better reviews for Forza, it sure hasn't helped sales, and I share the view of that yardstick. I still play GT6, and I think about playing Forza 4.

Yes, and we have to confront it all the time don't we. Or maybe it's so hidden people haven't even noticed it and many forgot.

I didn't, but it has been mentioned as something that many are glad that SONY hasn't made a big deal about it, and PD increased payouts and added hefty Seasonal rewards around it, so I'm unaware of anyone that felt the need to even bring it up, till recently. Though I had a feeling certain people would. ;)

I'm sure you're aware of my position on that. I'd much rather GT7 appear as soon as possible than the team spend much effort on an "old" game. And to me it's increasingly, painfully, last gen. For instance, I can't see any Course Maker in GT6 holding a birthday candle to anything the team could accomplish on PS4. Or a Livery Editor. And Movie Maker is either impossible or unworkable on PS3, depending on how you take Kaz's remarks. People would much rather capture video from Forza 4 as mess with its replay recorder, with the long processing time just to render 30 meager seconds of video.

I seriously want to move on to the vaster greener pastures of PS4, and I hope Kaz and the team are doing that full bore.

As for those better reviews for Forza, it sure hasn't helped sales, and I share the view of that yardstick. I still play GT6, and I think about playing Forza 4.
Right. Abandon a game that millions of people paid good money for, in favour of the new "best" thing. Brilliant strategy, I'm sure it'll win over a lot of diehard, loyal fans who don't have a PS4 nor a wheel that works on the PS4, and were hoping for long term support of the the game they bought in good faith a year and a half ago. That's a great idea.

/sarcasm

Well, according to possibly you and a few naysayers here, no one is paying attention to GT6 anyhow. Or could you guys make up your mind on that one of these days? ;)

And lookit. I assume you're taking a break from P CARS to come in here and poke around at a few PC pages and see if anyone has poked at your posted-in threads. Have you even played GT6 this year? Like single player? Have you compared videos of the latest racers or iRenting to GT6? Have you been hugging your speakers with glee over the improved engine sounds in P CARS? Have you compared how many cars you can have on track versus P CARS? I think even on consoles you can have up to 50 cars in offline racing! Jeepers creepers... and no Race Mod in GT6, no Livery Editor, no Movie Maker, no Course Maker or Event Maker...

GT6 is really being hamstrung on this archaic PS3, as capable as it still is.

An improved GT6 with some form of those features I mentioned would be nice, might be really really nice. But in GT7? ZOMG, the potential...

This is just my druthers, and Kaz doesn't Twitter or email me for advice, so don't worry that I'll nudge him into taking a certain course in Gran Turismo development. But if I could... hee hee hee, I chuckle my evil chuckle. :D

I don't care if someone says they have passion for what they do or not. Good for them. Only one thing actually matters to me, the end user, and that it is the final product.

So what if he races in real life? Have I seen any evidence of that translating to an immersive, more authentic representation of a racing series or race weekend in the GT series? Since the answer is an obvious no, again, so what?

Last edited:
It would depend on how whoever, or whomever, 'takes the throne' actually treats & interacts with us, the end-user.

Another 'Q&A' that flops (with no explanation) ?, along with vague round-about (interview) answers & broken (or false) promises ? - Forget about it. 👎

'Person(s)' who constantly acknowledges & discuss & review community input ? - They might have my interest. 👍

For the game itself, I kinda foresee what Hideo Kojima/Metal Gear Solid have going. Product itself has run its course but the big companies want to keep it going. :odd:

For the game itself, I kinda foresee what Hideo Kojima/Metal Gear Solid have going.

Sony decides to let Kaz go so that they can focus on mobile gaming? :P

I could see Sony deciding to turn the series into just a regularly released cash cow produced by the lowest common denominator though (which is sort of what Konami looks like they're doing), and Kaz is probably an impediment to that idea, given that he actually appears to give a 🤬. If he wasn't so highly placed within Sony they'd probably have shuffled him off to another division in Siberia by now.

Sony decides to let Kaz go so that they can focus on mobile gaming? :P

In a sense, Yes, some sort of general 'shift' in what the game becomes. Like with MGS, I grew up with 1 & 2 & loved them, played and enjoyed 3 & 4, but lately - in my opinion - what I've seen in Phantom Pain feels like it's just tacked-on, simply to extend the franchise's life, and even though Kojima is involved, it doesn't feel like he is, it is MGS, but it isn't.

I can understand now, what simbin fans experienced at the end of GTR/GTR2/GTLegends, as the same thing may befall GT, and fans will be looking to fill the void somehow too.

I predict the GT title will disappear, but Sony will recycle most of the remainig pieces into another game with a different name and executive producer. It's not happening any time soon unless Kaz sets his sights into a different venture.

I don't think Kazunori Yamauchi as at any real risk of being Kojima'd.

Sure, he might have the same perfectionist nature. But GT is a system-seller exclusive to Playstation, Sony isn't about to throw that away even if the game itself only managed to break even. But GT's still doing a whole lot better than breaking even, so I don't think Kaz has anything to worry about.

GT5 Prologue is the 4th best-selling PS3 game of all-time, for crying out loud. GT5 Actual (2nd best-selling PS3 game behind GTAV) sold more copies than all three Uncharted games combined. The mediocre GT PSP was the 2nd best-selling PSP title, trailing just behind Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. And frankly MH Portable 3rd was just some kind of anomaly, selling as much as it did despite being a Japan-only release.

Calm down, guys. Kaz is gonna be just fine. :lol:

Sure, he might have the same perfectionist nature. But GT is a system-seller exclusive to Playstation, Sony isn't about to throw that away even if the game itself only managed to break even. But GT's still doing a whole lot better than breaking even, so I don't think Kaz has anything to worry about.

GT5 Prologue is the 4th best-selling PS3 game of all-time, for crying out loud. GT5 Actual (2nd best-selling PS3 game behind GTAV) sold more copies than all three Uncharted games combined. The mediocre GT PSP was the 2nd best-selling PSP title, trailing just behind Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. And frankly MH Portable 3rd was just some kind of anomaly, selling as much as it did despite being a Japan-only release.

Calm down, guys. Kaz is gonna be just fine. :lol:
Can't find GT5P on this top 25 sales list from 2015. Or this top 10 sales list from 2014. It's number 23 on this chart as of last month.

@Johnnypenso .....:lol:

so salty.png

Polyphony says GT5P has moved 5.35M units globally here, which contradicts the sales figures posted on those lists. Well really just the last one since the first two don't have sales figures for it.

Plus, it seems that some of those lists are combining multiplatform game sales across all the different platforms they were released on, rather than giving only how much the PS3 versions sold.

But I will concede that maybe it's not actually 4th place like I claimed. I suppose that's what I get for not checking further than Wikipedia initially. But the main point still stands: Gran Truismo still sells very well, and it's still a system seller.

Last edited:
Past consideration is no consideration, though I'm kind of confused why Johnny linked those first two links they way he did. They weren't what I expected when I clicked on them.

Past consideration is no consideration, though I'm kind of confused why Johnny linked those first two links they way he did. They weren't what I expected when I clicked on them.
I just googled "best selling PS3 games of all time" or something like that and that's what came up. When I saw GT5P is the 4th best selling game of all time I could think of at least 5 or 6 games off the top of my head that sold more than 6 million so I was curious. Is there a definitive source for this information?

Is there a definitive source for this information?

Nope. Belay my last... err, second to last. :lol:

I probably should've known better than to start spouting off numbers as facts when Wikipedia was my only reference. But for the curious, here's the specific page I looked at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_3

And even going off of those numbers, GT5P would actually be 5th since GTAV is arbitrarily in the middle of the otherwise sorted list, despite being the top selling PS3 game.

I just googled "best selling PS3 games of all time" or something like that and that's what came up. When I saw GT5P is the 4th best selling game of all time I could think of at least 5 or 6 games off the top of my head that sold more than 6 million so I was curious. Is there a definitive source for this information?
Nope. Belay my last... err, second to last. :lol:

I probably should've known better than to start spouting off numbers as facts when Wikipedia was my only reference. But for the curious, here's the specific page I looked at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#PlayStation_3

And even going off of those numbers, GT5P would actually be 5th since GTAV is arbitrarily in the middle of the otherwise sorted list, despite being the top selling PS3 game.
To be fair, that was a referenced statistic, and the ref points to this page on PD's website.

As concerns the topic: Regardless of the exact number of sales, it's clear GT is one of PlayStation's biggest-selling franchises. I don't see it making much difference who's on top, they'll be making GT for a long time yet. *knocks on wood*

The only reason I'd agree is because of his position within Sony. Otherwise, pretty much anyone is at risk of being Kojima'd.

Say GT was developed like NFS (as a franchise name that was tossed between studios), and Polyphony were the a random third party dev hired to make the latest installment. They might get the call back again, but you wouldn't blame Sony for shopping around either, maybe put Polyphony and someone else on alternating cycles.

Does anyone have an accurate figure for the number of GT6 copies sold so far? Please, no guesses...Please provide a source.

Back