What WILL you make with a GPS enabled or very detailed track editor?

• Thread starter smskeeter23
  • 1,100 comments
There's a pass through the Appalachian Mountains within the Smokey Mnt Nation Park that is a transcendent experience with a sports car. Beyond technical and over 200 corners. We drove across Country so I can't be there to capture this into GT6. Holy Grail of Mountain twisties.

I'm hoping that after we import the data we can tweak the width, etc.

I expect the data will get placed into the creator, and you will be able to do as much with it as normal, like any other custom track. Worst scenario; the GPS app automatically translates it to a track that can't be edited, which would be a big mistake on PD's part.

I'm hoping that after we import the data we can tweak the width, etc.
I think the original point here though is that if it maps 50/50 either side of your trace, the track will be inaccurate as you haven't driven in the middle of the road.

Adjustment of track width won't solve that.

With the smaller race tracks you DO NOT have to pay to get in. If you show during a track day and just ask for a tour or call before hand when someone is renting out you can sign in as a guest. Back when I worked for Skip we used to allow anyone to watch for free (you just have to sign the insurance waiver) and during down time we'd take them out on track for hot laps for FREE. The idea being we'd get more business and it doesn't cost the company any extra if they're already there. Keep an eye on companies like SCDA and Skip Barber. When they come to town you can get in for free.

Edit: PM me if you're near a track and would like information on how to access for little or nothing. This is strictly for information, I'm not selling ANYTHIG! There was another company whom I don't want to advertise for that sold track laps in exotic cars on groupon for like $100 or $200 BUT if you showed on the day of you could get driven around by an instructor for next to nothing.

Thinking of doing some local routes... there's one switchback near my house that belongs on the Iroha slopes (Initial D) but is a two-lane road... and then possibly some other ideas.

I want this or at least portions of this...

911pass.jpg

Does the GPS tracker track just the route or can it do elevation and more complex stuff?
This is currently unknown. It is probably still in development as it's still in the "to come" list.

It should have elevation changes in, but don't count on it.

All we know for sure is that it can track gps position from its app, and it will create a track based on this.

My feeling on it is that it will have to be fairly dumbed down. I wouldn't expect anything with really high resolution sampling of gps data. I think it will be fairly approximate, and the final track will be a very 'smoothed' (in terms of x, y, elevation) out version of the real thing. Otherwise the error checking and testing will get completely out of hand.

I think the original point here though is that if it maps 50/50 either side of your trace, the track will be inaccurate as you haven't driven in the middle of the road.

Adjustment of track width won't solve that.
I know that. In fact when I was thinking about it this morning I was thinking that it would have to be done in the center of the track to retain the exact configuration. I'm talking about the track width itself, as a simple GPS mobile app won't be able to record those numbers. You'll have to adjust it yourself afterwords.

Obviously, there are limitations, but this is only the first try at giving us gamers with more option and more involvement...

Step by Step, we will be able to make our reality a virtual world even more real !

Again, manage your expectation guys... ;)

PS: i think we will see more and more people suddenly walking in the middle of the roads like zombies... LOL.
Try to avoid them please, they are contributing to the world of GT6!

Last edited:
There's an amazing series of roads through a park near my buddys place that I've had a ton of fun blasting through in my SVTF, that's definitely first on my list of things to recreate. I know it's not going to be perfect but I REALLY hope that this system works well enough, racing friends through familiar corners will be absolutely incredible.

Would it be possible to recreate the Pikes Peak hill climb? I'd absolutely love to try and smash Loeb's record.

In your dreams! ;) You'd probably die a thousand times before reaching the top in 8:13.878 as he did. It's an average 145km/h!

Sunrise highway out by my place. Usually I ride my r6 out there....don't make a mistake, its a long ways down ;)

Attachments

• sunrise_highway.jpg
    sunrise_highway.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 6
I hope we don't have to drive in the middle of an track or road to get the correct GPS data in order to make a proper track in the track editor. If this is the case though it would put a major damper of the feature.

I hope we don't have to drive in the middle of an track or road to get the correct GPS data in order to make a proper track in the track editor. If this is the case though it would put a major damper of the feature.
Illegal in most cases ya...I doubt it though. I'm sure you can still input road width. Shouldn't have an affect on the path though.

As long as people realize this will generate a smoothed out version of the routes we love we shouldn't end up disappointed.

I'm sure if given adjustable track width and some detailed camber options we can get some great results.

If it accurately records GPS data, best case scenario would be to tape your phone on the bottom of your drivers side door (in America) and get the closest to the center line elevation as possible. But think about it, Kaz will HAVE to give us track editing of the GPS data otherwise its IMPOSSIBLE to add banking from your cell phone GPS scans. How lame would that be that it produces hilly roads that remain at ZERO degrees from the left side of the road to the right.

If we record the gps data, you should also bring a video recorder and mount to dash. Ideally the game auto generates the elevations and turns of the track, then you use your video footage to apply road width and banking at various points along the track. Guys with attention to detail like myself, thats all Id need and PRESTO Pacific Coast Highway in GT6!

How precise are those modern GPS apps anyway?
depending on the hardware you'd be using, most phones these days are very precise, mine even shows where I have crossed the road, atmospheric conditions will effect signal also, I have the garmin forrunner gps watch, but then it all depends on how they are implementing it...

Everything is an unknown at the minute anyway...

I'm wondering how it will work on a 2 way street.... I wonder if you'll have to keep your circuit roads separate when you come back to your start/finish line.

I've wrote a letter to the people that I've been receiving GPS track data from if they've encountered something of this fashion, if knowing or not a track will be properly plotted just from the GPS data. It would be more comforting if we had a little more information about this option due to the growing internist of this option since if was first introduced. I wounder if the software is similar to the Nissan GT-R GPS data logger.

Addition:

@ZoidFile comment got the thinking about all the different GPS track App's and software out there that have common files, though will they all work with GT6. Did they take this into account

Last edited:
Kaz will HAVE to give us track editing of the GPS data otherwise its IMPOSSIBLE to add banking from your cell phone GPS scans. How lame would that be that it produces hilly roads that remain at ZERO degrees from the left side of the road to the right.

If the app uses the smartphone's accelerometre, which would record the gravity of the car and g-force pulled, then fix the phone on to a GPS rack, (instead of taping it, why would you do that?!), then it could very well be possible to map the banking of corners, even road bumps.

Back