What would you do...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Feral Pigeon
  • 47 comments
  • 2,608 views
Wait, Feral, you are saying you don't think there will be that much fabrication required in making an FF minivan into an FR layout?

:lol:

Is everyone missing what I'm saying?

Ugh, I mean that the engine swap will be moderate, the drivetrain swap will take ages, and the brakes and suspension and wheels and tires will all be ridiculously simple.
 
let's say you have a junked-up car, or something kinda vanilla, what would you do to make it un-boring?

First, I'd have to have something vanilla.

I've always quite liked the idea of something like this if I was ever going to select a car with absolutely zero image:

1393837_1.jpg

Kia Magentis(/Optima) V6. At one time, the cheapest brand new V6 car in the UK.

Then, I'd remove the majority of the interior trim, boot trim, sound deadening material, aircon stuff, airbags, roof lining and so on. Not sure how much it'd save, but I suspect a reasonable amount of weight would be lost.

Then, I'd drop it on some cheap alloys, give it generic springs and shocks and some half-decent tyres, and a racing seat.

I'd then dress up as an old lady and scare seven shades out of people on B-roads. After I'd got bored of doing that, I'd give it what it deserves at the 24 Hours of Lemons.
 
First, I'd have to have something vanilla.

I've always quite liked the idea of something like this if I was ever going to select a car with absolutely zero image:

1393837_1.jpg

Kia Magentis(/Optima) V6. At one time, the cheapest brand new V6 car in the UK.

Then, I'd remove the majority of the interior trim, boot trim, sound deadening material, aircon stuff, airbags, roof lining and so on. Not sure how much it'd save, but I suspect a reasonable amount of weight would be lost.

Then, I'd drop it on some cheap alloys, give it generic springs and shocks and some half-decent tyres, and a racing seat.

I'd then dress up as an old lady and scare seven shades out of people on B-roads. After I'd got bored of doing that, I'd give it what it deserves at the 24 Hours of Lemons.

I'd take that one step further...by taking that very car and giving it the Supertouring treatment. XD

In fact...that's basically what I'd do with about any car like that....
 
Is everyone missing what I'm saying?

Ugh, I mean that the engine swap will be moderate, the drivetrain swap will take ages, and the brakes and suspension and wheels and tires will all be ridiculously simple.

It won't be moderate. Do you understand the difference between transverse and longitudinal mounting?
 
Is everyone missing what I'm saying?

Ugh, I mean that the engine swap will be moderate, the drivetrain swap will take ages, and the brakes and suspension and wheels and tires will all be ridiculously simple.

Sir...

The engine swap's difficulty is directly related to the drivetrain swap. A Quest already has a VQ35DE. Simply turbocharging it would be relatively simple and relatively inexpensive... Turning it 90 degrees, finding room under the floor for the trans from a 350Z, a driveshaft, and sticking a rear differential in it is an order of magnitude more difficult. Mind you, the turbo setup alone would cost north of 5 grand the instant you think about it and that's not taking into consideration the need to strengthen the transmission and ideally get a limited slip differential designed for it as well. So look forward to spending 10-15k on top of the original purchase price to get a ~400hp FWD minivan.

And what do you get for your 30 large? A minivan that sounds like it's got an exhaust leak and is slightly faster than a 350Z with minor bolt-ons. Still want to convert it to RWD? Kay, there's a bit more weight now, making it slower, and another 10 grand to get someone to do it. It still wouldn't handle well, it would be less practical than it was originally, etc etc.

The turbo Aerostar Toronado is talking about is indeed doable for fairly little money even if you have a shop do it all... And you get a reasonably lightweight AWD van with 400hp. :lol:
 
If I really wanted to do that, I wouldn't be looking at another car and I'd keep the R31 Skyline I have right now. RB20/25DET, 5-speed manual conversion and an LSD from a Silhouette. 17" Speedy Deception wheels and some lowered springs, Bob's your uncle.

Unfortunately, labour costs and the fact that it's essentially polishing a turd prevent me from having the willpower to do this.
 
I would take a '96 Buick Skylark sedan and do a RWD drivetrain swap. Can't decide between a built F20C or a nicely built GM 3.6.
 
Get a 2010 Ford Ranger with the 2.3L Duratec. Slap on a bunch of Cosworth Duretec engine components. And you've got an awesome mini sleeper truck. Make it a 4wd version, and you've got a miniature Raptor.
 
Get a 2010 Ford Ranger with the 2.3L Duratec. Slap on a bunch of Cosworth Duretec engine components. And you've got an awesome mini sleeper truck. Make it a 4wd version, and you've got a miniature Raptor.

Have fun with 280hp on race gas :p

Best bet would likely be a set of forged pistons/rods, Cosworth intake manifold, ported head, bigger cams, Cossie or other, and a turbo.

Preferably with a 6-speed manual and a nice prerunner-esque suspension setup. Raptor? What Raptor? We fly higher and faster. ;)
 
Get a 2010 Ford Ranger with the 2.3L Duratec. Slap on a bunch of Cosworth Duretec engine components. And you've got an awesome mini sleeper truck. Make it a 4wd version, and you've got a miniature Raptor.

Ford Ranger + 5.0, you got yourself a winner.
 
Volvo 740 Wagon + 2JZGTE.
 
Oh yes, the Volvette...:D

Language Warning
 
Ford Ranger + 5.0, you got yourself a winner.

New 5.0 FTW. Better heads than the 4.6 DOHC? More displacement? Same ridiculously large external dimensions?

Yes please.

Volvo 740 Wagon + 2JZGTE.

Or the above. 5.0 Coyote + 740 wagon + owner's choice of power adder = lolbye. A JZ would make Jeff start talking to you at night.
 
But wasn't this done with an LSx? Why wouldn't you just do that? MORE TORQUES RAWR

How original would that be? Even the JZ swap is getting unoriginal.

RB26 740 Wagon? Or maybe even an S54!
 
Actually an LSX would be pretty original. All aluminum 454.
 
Oh, just go with a World Products Merlin if you want to go THAT big. 572 BBC, aluminum.
 
How original would that be? Even the JZ swap is getting unoriginal.

RB26 740 Wagon? Or maybe even an S54!

Somebody put an RB25DES into a road-legal Volvo 240 Estate. It was up for sale a few months ago.
 
Back