What would you do?

• Thread starter billskee
  • 33 comments
Lets say you are getting ready for the biggest race of your life. It will be held at Red Rock Valley, and will be 5 laps long. You have just heard that your opponents are going to be the escudo, toyota gt1 98, toyota gt1 99, and the speed 12. You have access to any car in GT2 land, except the four you are racing.
What would you do?

If course it'll be a lot easier with GT2's AI the way it is. But if we assume all things being equal, here's my choice:

The GT-One Road Car can be boosted up to 970HP, so it can be competitive with the Escudo's raw speed (and will blow any of the others away in the process) - yet handles better than either the Escudo or the Speed 12 and is respectable against the GT-One race cars in the corners.

A reasonable second-choice is the '98 R980 road car, which can be boosted up to the Speed 12's HP range, is respectably fast, and is also a decent handler.

Tactic for the win: plan on making distance on the Escudo and the Speed 12 in the corners (especially esses), and out HP'ing the two GT-Ones on the straights.

You have a reasonable chance to win your 'Race Of Your Life'.

GKP

The Venturi LM600 might give them a run for their money. 705hp and 2100lbs looks like the ticket if you can get it to act the way you want to on high-banked tracks.

Originally posted by gkp00co
... is the '98 R980 road car ...

Oops - typo - I meant the '98 R390 GT-1 road car.

There's also a '97 version, but I'm not too familiar with it - haven't driven it much - but it may stand a chance too and since it's a prize car (Gran Turismo All Stars #5 at Laguna Seca) you can get it without plunking down $1,000,000...

Of course we're all assuming competitive AI on the part of the other drivers - otherwise this race is easily winnable with a much slower car. I've won the GT All Stars Red Rock race with the 555HP Skyline Silhouette beating the GT-One in the process...

Also, just having access to soft or supersoft slicks gives you a big advantage - especially on races as short as 5 laps; my guess is that the computer cars always run regular tires.

Finally, are we to consider hybrid cars? You did say "any car in GT2 land". While many of the hybrids might have an unfair advantage, others might be interesting to think about, after all, all true race cars are technically hybrids, aren't they? If the Toyota team needed some part and they could easily adapt something from Ford, don't you think that they would do it? Perhaps include hybrids with a limit of 1200HP or so? What are your thoughts?

GKP

Your absolutely right about the hybrids gkp00co, but unfortunately I don't have a gameshark. I plan to get one sometime, but just haven't done it yet. I just wanted to see what other cars in the game people would use given stiff competition. I know the AI in GT2 is slow in comparison to what those cars can really do. I guess I didn't give it much thought when I was thinking of the scenario.
I guess the point to the scenario is, what cars do fellow GTers consider in the same league with the cars I mentioned.

Originally posted by billskee
Your absolutely right about the hybrids gkp00co, but unfortunately I don't have a gameshark. I plan to get one sometime, but just haven't done it yet.

That's OK - I don't have one yet either but plan to get one as soon as I can (which may be a while yet).

I just posed the question to open up the possibilities. For instance, in real life it was popular to slip small-block V-8 into Datsun 240Z's - my brother even did it to a Chevy Vega - and if the twin-engined Escudo isn't a hybrid I don't know what is.

A 1200HP limit on hybrids would probably keep things close enough not to be too absurd and would still allow for some creativity, I think.

I just wanted to see what other cars in the game people would use given stiff competition. I guess the point to the scenario is, what cars do fellow GTers consider in the same league with the cars I mentioned.

Sure, which is why I started out with a standard GT2 car modified within the scope normally allowed.

GKP

Good question. Probably the Viper GTS-R Team Oreca from Dodge if you can handle it's evil oversteering. 😈 The best RUF possible, suped to the max might be another good choice. Or you can go with the others and choose a GT-One Road Car and supe it up.

It depends on who you are racing against, if the AI, well you could win pretty easily with a low 400's hp Subaru 22b. Any of the 'Special Model' LM type cars will win that race, even the GT300 cars.

If you are racing someone else, who is relatively equal to you in talent, then the choices would be the GT ONE Road Car, and the R390 97' Race model. There are some faster models in the game, but the handling can be tricky at the edge.

The Escudo would be the hardest in that race. If you had a powerful car, on the S turn you could make the speed 12 and gt1s spin out by simply powernig into them on the cornering and knocking them in the sand. 😈

The Escudo, being 4WD, would have a better chance of surving though. :nervous:

well...escudo is enough i think...although maybe it is not the best for some ppl :) .. but i'm more into 4wd .. easy to handle and not so easy to overturn and spinning around

Audi TT LM, my fav car in GT2, the Lotus GT1 racecar (elise) although it is tail-happy its still a good car, also the Vector M12lm is a really light and fast car.

Excluding the Speed 12, all TVRs suck. Escpeically the Cerbera. They are hard as all $#!t to keep under control. Never tried the LM edition, but if it's the same as the one in the original Gran Turismo then, it's not the great.

TVR Cerbera LM IS....is....is a really good car. (forgot what I was going to say) Never the less, the LM is hot!! One of the few cars
that can blow the doors off of cars with 200 more horeses!!

Dodge Concept LM, [R]Ford GT40, & Lotus Espirit are a few more over achievers.

I got the Dodge Concept Car LM. The silver one with the rear spoiler. It carves them up in the races it can enter. It's not hard to handle but not the easiest one. I don't use the Concept LM as much as I'd like to, but don't have any need for it really.

Never tried the [R]GT40, tried the normal GT40 you buy from Ford, but if there both the same than I wouldn't bother about. GT40 handles like crap. Haven't tried the Lotus Espirit yet. Don't really want to. If I buy any car from Lotus it'll be an Elise (tune it up) or the special model Elise what ever it is. :D

Anyway, back to TVRs. If you got settings to stop the Cerberas from spinning out there alright -- but still, I don't like them. The Speed 12 is there only good car. But the Speed 12 isn't a car. It sounds like a train or something in the first few gears.

The [R]GT40 and the GT40 you buy are different, The one you buy has more HP, and a little heavier (NTM you can get it in some cool colors). The [R]GT40 handles like a dream, but I hate it's paint job.

Ooops, I meant to say the Lotus Espirit GT1, Anyway just do'nt let the low HP fool you, these cars are soo light weight, and handle soo well (with proper suspention set up of course).

TVR Speed 12 IS the ultimate though.

I raced the Speed 12 on the test track and got 384km and the Escudo did 394km. Pretty close hey. I'd still use the Escudo because I rather have real stiff turning than spinning out every second. :D

its a hard choice i say one with a lot of hp and handiling but there is too many to chose from isay the old gt40 thats true racing it won lemans in the 60s too so maby it could win

I've got the GT40 Race Car now. It's a sweet car. Handles much better than those other crappy GT40s. I'd prefer a different colour choice though. Light blue on red. :yuck:

It's a random prize car in the Special Stage Route 5 Endurance Race. You either win that or a Lancer Evolution VI Rally Car, the read one you can see at the start of the game when you pick your language. Well, I have the PAL version so it might be different for you ones with the NTSC version.

Latest Posts

Back