What you'd like to see for the GT6 Photomode section: A community thread!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 55 comments
No matter what competition changes are implemented, there is no accounting for peoples taste. A terrible picture to one person is great to another.

I gave up on the comps a long time ago apart from the odd, very rare entry because my taste isn't the same as the rest of GTP. So many times i've voted for a picture that has bombed in the comps...it's just how it goes.

I do agree that the GT6 photomode forum is nowhere near as friendly and as sharing as it was over on the GT5 one, the like button has a lot to do with that but i also think that GT6 enticed a lot of new players who share pictures for the sake of it...and to many of us who take our photos a bit more serious we find it hard to stand out amongst the hundreds of part time happy snappers.

Don't get me wrong, we welcome everyone here but i think the GT6 forums are just over saturated with people who revel in just sharing anything without a thought.

I'd love a weekly thread that votes ONE picture in a week...a proper Hall of fame!

I would never want our photomode forum to become an elitist haven, but i also don't want it to become a library of terrible photos and lazy likers!

I've been close to leaving GTP a few times since GT6 came out but i still like the group atmosphere on here from the original GT5 members.

You know leeislee I thought the LIKE button was a good idea but reading the past comments I slowly began to realize that I too was getting lazy, like veryferry wrote. I remembered, what I liked about this forum was the great communication. Of course, the LIKE button never stopped MoMo PeeZero anyway; that's a case that should be handled clinically. :lol: Since I moved to GT6, I maybe have praised/criticized a photo less than ten times, the rest was LIKED. So I am making a conscious decision to comment on threads more. The LIKE button has its purpose but let's not over do it. I'll try contribute to this community and not be a spectator.

So, what I'd like to see for the GT6 Photomode section is everyone make an effort to make respectful comments. It doesn't have to be too long.

A new GT6 game, so, new players will find these forums, come in, do their thing, get bored and leave. Hopefully some will get inspired enough to purposely express themselves artistically making every picture count. I do my part in in trying to educate others when I can. Until that time, let's bite our lips and push on.

I completly agreed with you @leeislee.

---

I've been away from this forum for a couple of different reasons but I have to admit that the LIKE button was a detail that, in the photomode community, had a great impact. When I was more active in this section, I was the member in the entire forum with more "likes"... but I didn't like it. Because although I knew people were pressing the "Like" button a lot in my shots, the feedback wasn't the same as it was before this feature came along.

I want to make clear that I do not share my work just to recieve feedback. But, at least before the "Like" button I didn't have the information/relation on the amount of people that was viewing my stuff and those saying something about it. ^^ I obviously appreciate every single post of every person who spends a minute to give some feedback.

The concsious decision not to press the like button in this section would be nice. But it's hard :) I'll try to do it myself and leave a brief comment when I can instead of pressing the like button.

Last edited:
@zzz_pt - I was going to "like" your post, but realized the irony of it. :) Instead, I'll just say that I agree with you and Lee. It takes more work to peruse the galleries and meaningfully comment, but I believe it's worth it. Photo sites like 500px and Flickr, for example, are diminished in my opinion, by the "like" button. But then again, comments like "great shot", without any constructive criticism or explanation are not much more helpful. Nevertheless, the current system on GTP is probably the best compromise. In a perfect world, we would all give and receive constructive criticism and accolades on each deserving post, but alas, there is only so much time.

I'd like to see a Realism Photomode Competision, with the 2.0 edit rules and the goal being to create the most realistic looking photo possible, and of course the poll would be voting for the most realistic shot.

I'd like to see a Realism Photomode Competision, with the 2.0 edit rules and the goal being to create the most realistic looking photo possible, and of course the poll would be voting for the most realistic shot.

Let us simply test the result by inviting one of the next 2.0 poll winners to dictate this theme:

Create the most realistic looking photo possible.
CAR: any or none
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS: realistic looking impression to a very high degree

Have a look at a typical GT5 PMC threat back in April 2011. We had 10 (!) pages of posts with criticism, questions, compliments and pics galore. Then, as a judge, you really had to pick a selection for the poll. Nowadays during some polls the limit is not even reached.
Makes me a little bit unhappy ...

@Raphaele - I'm unhappy about that too, but there's not much we can truly do about it; I blame the lower numbers on a combination of things. GT5 was fresh, and while it was massively delayed, it was still our first full-featured GT on PS3, so having a Photomode to finally take pictures of this generation combined with that anticipation to really expand this community. GT6 came along three years later, and it just isn't all too different from GT5. Actually, as much as some of us lamented the loss of GT4's Photo Travel locations and some tracks, GT6 continues that trend by removing all the GT5 Photo Travel locations - a decision that makes even less sense considering the lack of a generation jump. Combined with Photomode having a few drawbacks that weren't present in GT5 (oh, and the continued lack of any real DLC support / continued delays from PD on things like Zahara and the track creator), it's not too surprising to me that this section hasn't seen the rampant activity that the GT5 one enjoyed.

So, continuing a conversation in this thread:

@Nato_777 Is there no other way we can vote? Eg. 3 points to fav, 2 point to 2nd and 1 point to 3rd?
To have an F1 scoring system would have been so cool - (Sorry I know it will be more work for you blokes to tally the scores)
No harm in asking right? 👍 :D

It would be a lot more, yes. I'd possibly consider it for GT6 only because the afore-mentioned lack of activity, and it would handily side-line any potential voting issues (people voting for themselves). The negatives? Like you said, a lot more work, and it might intimidate the casual members of GTP from voting at all; popping into a poll and picking an image takes only a few minutes, but having to allocate points would take longer.

I'd also mention how there's always users who don't bother reading the rules, but that's actually not been much of a problem with GT6, though again, that's probably down to the relative lack of activity compared to GT5.

@SlipZtrEm Please, Can we not have one set of Rules (regarding amount of images per poll in each competition?) :odd:
Maybe we should all vote - TOP 30 Images to go into the poll? :rolleyes:

The numbers were originally chosen to reflect the more "elite" nature of 2.0 - the stakes are higher, as post-game editing allows for a lot more options. We wanted it to be more of a challenge - like @Nato_777 said, getting into the poll alone was viewed as success. I would like to keep 2.0's poll size smaller than PMC, despite it tending to match (or even exceed) the non-editing number of entries, but I am definitely open to shrinking both poll sizes. As it is, there aren't usually enough entries to fill them.

One of the challenges used to be in making it into the poll in the first place - that aspect is almost gone currently. Personally I like that challenge - it pushes you to put your best foot forward each time.

👍

The positives (pushing members to submit only their best, not anything just to make the poll because they know there's space) outweigh the negatives (the occasional bitter member that doesn't make poll), at least for me!

At the end of the day it is something that @SlipZtrEm and I should probably discuss but I'm interested to hear opinions from the wider photomode community. However this thread isn't the best place for that so I think this thread would better serve that purpose for now.

I too would love to hear opinions, so let's hear them guys :cheers:

I really don't think the polls should have a different voting system. If there was even more of a surge than GT5's, yes. But as for now, the section is so empty and with the polls, it's so hard to even fill a section, half the time everyone just gets right in no matter how good, or bad they are.

As for the likes voting... it depends on how early you get your entry in, let's face it. I've gotten more likes than anyone else and still was destroyed in the poll.

maybe if PD brings at least a Photomode update it'll get the forum going a bit more, but I just don't see that coming any time soon. Hell, we didn't get major issues fixed until 1.7.

I am looking forward to Gran Turismo 7, expecting innovations similar to GT5 from GT4.
New platform PS4 should offer some stunning material.
And I hope for new (or neglected) features in photomode like
  • shutter speed below 1/60 sec
  • continuous adjustable colour temperature
  • single frame back and forth during replay
  • additional photoflash
  • curb cams etc.
And I want my El Capitan back!

I am looking forward to Gran Turismo 7, expecting innovations similar to GT5 from GT4.
New platform PS4 should offer some stunning material.
And I hope for new (or neglected) features in photomode like
  • shutter speed below 1/60 sec

The annoying thing is, is that they have the technology for it in GT6 as demonstrated by the FT-1 Press shots.

The annoying thing is, is that they have the technology for it in GT6 as demonstrated by the FT-1 Press shots.
What's even more annoying is that square lights bug that didn't exist in GT5. Yeah I hate when PD shows stuff like that and then holds it, like all the old tracks that were in those videos and stuff. And I hate when they wait to do releases of a bunch of content/features at once. Just put em out as ya finish them, then everyone doesn't complain about how long it's been since an update.

Another annoying thing was that terribly frazzled blur effect when using a telephoto lens with aperture 1 or 1.4.
Seems to me that PD has fixed it since last update 1.07 / 1.08 (picture below, not edited).

blurFX.jpg
blur_new.jpg

Last edited:
Remember guys, the thread is about, "What you'd like to see for the GT6 Photomode section..."; our little corner of the neighborhood. Suggestions and comments on how to make this Photomode forum better.

Does anybody know why there is no longer a 3.0 Masters Series in the Photo Mode competitions? I was blown away the first time I saw the 3.0 edits back in GT5. So much, that it inspired me to learn more and contribute to this community. I never looked back, I truly enjoy editing, that's all I do here. I feel that not including it in the competitions might deprive others of similar inspirations and of course, a challenge for those of us that do participate.
I have wondered why they have been suspended. It might be because of the lack of connection to Gran Turismo. The truly creative solutions to the competition theme challenges sometimes go so far that you might ask, "Is this Gran Turismo?", but of course it is. That's why I now leave or insert the GT logo to my "non-Gran Turismo car" edits.

Remember guys, the thread is about, "What you'd like to see for the GT6 Photomode section..."; our little corner of the neighborhood. Suggestions and comments on how to make this Photomode forum better.

Thanx for this hint. I actually felt it was about "What you'd like to see for the GT6 Photomode".

Does anybody know why there is no longer a 3.0 Masters Series in the Photo Mode competitions?

To create an entry for 3.0 Masters takes a lot of time and skills. Maybe some entrants lost their ambition after having missed the polls.

I think the newest competition shouldn't be a 3.0, it should just be a no holds barred comp.

Enter whatever you like, a simple unedited shot or a full on massive edit. It's really down to the individual based on preference or the amount of time they want to commit to a comp.

Every entry accepted!

I think the newest competition shouldn't be a 3.0, it should just be a no holds barred comp.

Enter whatever you like, a simple unedited shot or a full on massive edit. It's really down to the individual based on preference or the amount of time they want to commit to a comp.

Every entry accepted!

I think this is a good idea.

I don't agree, I don't see a challenge in that. You guys make great edits and you chose your theme to fulfill your creative need at that moment, then you post it for others to enjoy and be inspired. If you choose your own theme in all competitions, well nothing really changed. Right now I am working on an edit, posting it in a thread or to use it in competition is the same thing to me. Now, preparing for a themed competition kind of puts us in a level field in that we have to solve the same problem but using our own creative solutions. I have always been surprised with what I or even the other competitors come out with. Sometimes I would have no clue where to start. I would let it "simmer" in my mind a few days, then go for it. Sure it takes time but then this is not easy. I would be fine even if there were two competing. The fun part is in solving a predetermined problem.

Last edited:
I don't agree, I don't see a challenge in that. You guys make great edits and you chose your theme to fulfill your creative need at that moment, then you post it for others to enjoy and be inspired. If you choose your own theme in all competitions, well nothing really changed. Right now I am working on an edit, posting it in a thread or to use it in competition is the same thing to me. Now, preparing for a themed competition kind of puts us in a level field in that we have to solve the same problem but using our own creative solutions. I have always been surprised with what I or even the other competitors come out with. Sometimes I would have no clue where to start. I would let it "simmer" in my mind a few days, then go for it. Sure it takes time but then this is not easy. I would be fine even if there were two competing. The fun part is in solving a predetermined problem.
The idea of ALL the comps is the same...the theme is chosen by the previous weeks winner the same way it works now.

What i meant was that there will be no strict rules as to what you enter. Think of it as a PMC, 2.0 & 3.0 comp all rolled into one.

What kind of edit you enter is down to you and isn't set by rules apart from following the theme and any other special restrictions for the week.

As it was brought up in a recent poll thread:

18 entries 32 voters, makes for a lean poll indeed as G said. May be time to try the 3 vote, 1st, 2nd, 3rd system that has been suggested, possibly some moderator input, please Kyle?

...and congrats Jeremy, Gary & Yui-san :cheers: 1 - 2 - 3 !!!

@youtimestwo I'm wary of moving to a multiple-choice voting style, especially as the current software, despite the new update, does not allow a weighted system; one vote will always be one vote. I'd much rather move towards shrinking the poll size, as we used to do in the past, as it encourages people to really put their best work forward, knowing spots are limited. As ever though, I'd love to see a discussion about it.

I'd much rather move towards shrinking the poll size, as we used to do in the past, as it encourages people to really put their best work forward, knowing spots are limited. As ever though, I'd love to see a discussion about it.

Oh yah, the old days, when judges would eliminate entries to get to poll limits, I remember. Feedback requests, controversy, a genuine participation/interaction between contestants. That's why your a Mod Kyle, old is new, fine fresh alternative, I also want to hear from others, I'm sure there's more than a couple ways to improve the vote shortage.

:confused:

I would love a weighted vote system, unfortunately we don't have the ability to do that so I would be a little wary of how a 3 vote system would play out. Reducing poll sizes would definitely help solve the issue.
Still it might be interesting to trial the 3 vote system and see how it acts 'in the wild'. :)

We know everyone is busy with work, family & life in general. SO-
How about extending the competitions to two weeks at a time
- This will allow more time for more entries and extra week for voting ?
Since there is 4 competitions still running it can be PMC & SSC on the odd weeks 1,3,5 etc. and 2.0 & CCCL starting week 2 on the even ones. (may also free up some time for both Kyle & Nathan) tournament sometime soon ?????????

I cannot think of any negatives at the moment? &
Thank you guy's for doing the competitions :cheers:

Not too sure about extending the comps to two weeks, seems a little long to me but then maybe I just have too short of an attention span. :lol: That said, I will ressurrect the 3.0 Comp in some form soon and that will most likely be a bi-weekly fixture as edits for that are usually more time consuming. Definitely wouldn't want to have the polls running for two weeks though, mostly the votes don't change much after a few days anyway. Still an interesting idea. 👍

Tournament will be coming soon - I've been a little (lot) busy lately and haven't made up the banners etc yet - will discuss more in the Tournament thread shortly - but we could possibly trial a different voting system there.

Back