What's Hideous, Weighs 15 Pounds and Can Support a London Bus? F1's New Halo

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by GTPNewsWire, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Rossell2

Rossell2

I admit that my concerns were less of the "we don't need this" more of a "will this do what it needs to do?" on the halo.

The answer is "Definitely". I think the great halo debate can now rest.

2. fortbo

fortbo

Yeah agreed. What we saw full demonstrates it’s effectiveness to those who were doubting it. I’ll still never understand people who hate it for looks or because it takes away from the spirit of F1 because somehow dead drivers are a better option than subjectively hurting the looks of a car. :rolleyes:

Rossell2 and Scaff like this.
  3. Samus

Samus

Not that it's really needed, we've all seen the past incidents without it and the gruesome results, but someone on Reddit rendered what appears to have happened with the Halo splitting the barrier open.

[​IMG]

Rossell2, FoRiZon, fortbo and 3 others like this.
  4. 05XR8

05XR8

Maybe F1 should go full on Indy. Would the glass shield have helped protect from the flames? Just for a few more moments.

5. NotThePrez

NotThePrez

Flames? Debatable. When the car split in two, the fuel tanks instantly ruptured and all of its contents went all over the place. I'm admittedly pulling this out of my butt, but since the glass shield covers more "area" than the halo, it's just as likely that fuel could've gotten on the glass and made it even harder for RoGro to climb out of the car the way he did.

That being said, I have doubts that Indycar's glass shield would have forced open the steel rails like the Halo did while also A) Maintaining structural integrity and B) not causing potential harm to the driver.

6. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I don't see why it wouldn't have similar performance considering it's basically a halo wrapped in polycarbonate.

7. NotThePrez

NotThePrez

Well then, I stand corrected.

8. Grand Prix

Grand Prix Premium

I think a closed cockpit would have been disastrous in Grosjean's crash. You need that space above the cockpit to get out quickly.

Something to be concerned about is, what would happen if he was unconscious? The medics/marshals would have to put the fire out first, or go into the flames to unbuckle his harness and pull him out of that small space between the halo and hot guardrail. It was extremely fortunate that he was able to get out by himself. Note that he opted to grab onto the hot guardrail to haul himself up, instead of grabbing the halo. I thought that was interesting. The guardrail made the space above the cockpit smaller to get out of, and also provided a means for escape.

Of course without the halo his head would have hit the guardrail and he wouldn't be able to get out of the car, as he would be dead.

9. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

He might have been dazed/shocked/panicked and grabbed the first thing he felt could get him out of there. Survival instinct is far greater than any training out there.

TenEightyOne and Grand Prix like this.
  10. Peter.

Peter.

The thing that bothers me so much is that this isn't even one of those accidents that you say this would have ended badly 20, 30 years ago but we have come so far. This would have ended very differently 3 years ago.

Going from not being sure if the Halo was necessary, to wondering why extra head protection took so long, with the sport being open cockpit for its whole existence. This single issue has basically guaranteed that under specific, but not improbable circumstances that a driver could meet his demise.

TenEightyOne likes this.