What's so great about GT5?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kamdoon
  • 40 comments
  • 2,805 views

Kamdoon

Premium
Messages
231
United States
lakewood
Messages
Khamdoon
Like the title says: no sarcasm, no "but's", but what do you think draws all of us to so passionately play a driving video game?

As far as myself, admittedly a newbie (GT5 is my first racing game):

--The adrenaline. A friend of mine was saying that 1st person shooters have more adrenaline rush because you can never know what surprise is around the corner. I responded that if your car isn't about to damn near slide off the road you are driving too slow. Every fraction of a second is a surprise at 400 kmph.

-- The FEEL. When I was a younger dude we would go to this thing called an "arcade", and play the driving games there. No force-feedback, no g-forces, no quadruple variations in perspective, no nothing; let alone changes in camber, toe, height, etc., and certainly not in HD. Which brings me to --

--The graphics. Say no more.

--The variation in cars. As per above, springs, dampers, height, tires etc. have an absolutely different feel between cars. Each car is unique, and although I obviously haven't driven them all (maybe two), I get the feel that I know what the difference is between driving, say, a '64 Vette on racing slicks and a '66 GT on comfort hards.

--The courses. Nurburgring. I feel like I have driven it already (no disrespect to those who actually have :)) My cousin and I are actually planning a trip there to drive it because of this game.

-- The community. What a great collection of intellects, hosers, engineer geniuses, wannabees, teenagers, old goats, hard-core drivers, women drivers :ouch:, harebrained theoreticians and NASCAR scientists; F1-ites and Burning Man drifters; weekend warriors and unemployed dudes; kids with oppressive parents and parents with oppressive kids; well, you get the idea.

Why do you like GT?
 
because running it in my PS3 keeps my room warm in winter.
 
The little details that make it so different.

A proper 787B sound.

The SuperGT series event (Suzuka on weather change is absolutely brilliant).

The racetracks (although some are missing)

The sheer amount of cars.

The ability to paint any car pink and then beat someone online with it.
 
Nurburgring, sunrise, partially cloudy, in car view, the only music playing is the roar of your engine

No other game can do this like GT5 does
 
It's one of those games that you just love.now I don't know about anybody else but I cant just dive in a Ferrari and drive it.playing this game(the real driving simulator) is just great.fulfils your driving desires in some perspective.plus I would rather drive like a nutter on a game rather than real life and risk someones(or your own) life.
 
Because being able to drive 1000+ cars on a fantastic re-creation of the Nurburgring with weather and time change will never get old.
 
After having a PS2 I went for a 360 and discovered Forza 2 and 3. Then after my 360 decided it wanted to become a microwave I did a bit of reading and bought a PS3 and a G27 purely for GT5 and Shift. Having played many racing games over the years I cannot justify the hype over GT5 and the time it has taken to develop the game with so many flaws and missing features.

Compared to Forza 3 for example, to say I was dissapointed is an understatment. Lack of tracks such as Mugello and Catalunya, no livery editor, the silly car ticket system and having to see it pull up out of the darkness every time. Then the in race game save has been an after thought that should have come as standard.

Dont get me wrong, it is a good game but I believe that Forza has the edge and that PD are lacking behind in most areas.

People may think that I am being a bit harsh and thats fine, its just my opinion but to be a "real driving simulator" these factors all need to be sorted along with a host of other issues. Maybe GT6 will deliver more in 2043 when its released but Im sure by then that Forza will be even further ahead.
 
The fact that gt5 is the fifth part of one mans dream. The fact that its a gt game. The fact that it's flawed like an Italian supercar that makes it have character and soul. And the fact that I can take some of the rarest cars on the planet and drive them like it was my last day. Also it has super physics that make each of it's 1000+ cars feel different. Plus favourite track in the world - the high speed ring. Don't forget the cars developed specifically for this game and then made in real life. Then there's the feel. Its the feel Of driving gran turismo. Gran turismo is unlike any other game ever made. Its not a game. It's an experience. Froze and shift have many good qualities as do twilight and Lamborghini. But there is only one Harry potter and one Ferrari and there is only one gran turismo. It's fantastically detailed and absolutely special.
 
Like the title says: no sarcasm, no "but's", but what do you think draws all of us to so passionately play a driving video game?

As far as myself, admittedly a newbie (GT5 is my first racing game):

--The adrenaline. A friend of mine was saying that 1st person shooters have more adrenaline rush because you can never know what surprise is around the corner. I responded that if your car isn't about to damn near slide off the road you are driving too slow. Every fraction of a second is a surprise at 400 kmph.

-- The FEEL. When I was a younger dude we would go to this thing called an "arcade", and play the driving games there. No force-feedback, no g-forces, no quadruple variations in perspective, no nothing; let alone changes in camber, toe, height, etc., and certainly not in HD. Which brings me to --

--The graphics. Say no more.

--The variation in cars. As per above, springs, dampers, height, tires etc. have an absolutely different feel between cars. Each car is unique, and although I obviously haven't driven them all (maybe two), I get the feel that I know what the difference is between driving, say, a '64 Vette on racing slicks and a '66 GT on comfort hards.

--The courses. Nurburgring. I feel like I have driven it already (no disrespect to those who actually have :)) My cousin and I are actually planning a trip there to drive it because of this game.

-- The community. What a great collection of intellects, hosers, engineer geniuses, wannabees, teenagers, old goats, hard-core drivers, women drivers :ouch:, harebrained theoreticians and NASCAR scientists; F1-ites and Burning Man drifters; weekend warriors and unemployed dudes; kids with oppressive parents and parents with oppressive kids; well, you get the idea.

Why do you like GT?

I just think is an unique and fun game. I just love it.
 
After having a PS2 I went for a 360 and discovered Forza 2 and 3. Then after my 360 decided it wanted to become a microwave I did a bit of reading and bought a PS3 and a G27 purely for GT5 and Shift. Having played many racing games over the years I cannot justify the hype over GT5 and the time it has taken to develop the game with so many flaws and missing features.

Compared to Forza 3 for example, to say I was dissapointed is an understatment. Lack of tracks such as Mugello and Catalunya, no livery editor, the silly car ticket system and having to see it pull up out of the darkness every time. Then the in race game save has been an after thought that should have come as standard.

Dont get me wrong, it is a good game but I believe that Forza has the edge and that PD are lacking behind in most areas.

People may think that I am being a bit harsh and thats fine, its just my opinion but to be a "real driving simulator" these factors all need to be sorted along with a host of other issues. Maybe GT6 will deliver more in 2043 when its released but Im sure by then that Forza will be even further ahead.

I couldn't agree more...

Also, the online portion of the game SUCKS. It's not even worth playing really. The restrictions on the cars is way to limited, so I go into a room where it says under 600hp and over 1000kg, I show up in a kick ass Scuderia, only to find people in full on race cars. How is that fair? How do i know that's what they're driving? So, I exit the race, get a car built to race with them, and then they're in bed because I've had to wait ten minutes for menus etc to load and to equip my car.

Also, little things like paint. Shouldn't the whole car be previewed when you choose a paint? Not just a little thingy? (lol)

The various camera angles on hood/roof cams...sloppy at best.

On the plus side...the physics are amazing, the choice of cars simply unbelievable (although there are hundreds I'll never drive), the graphics are beautiful, and the AI is pretty good.

Just like the guys said, don't get me wrong, I love the game but the shortcomings are massive IMO.
 
Toronto122
I couldn't agree more...

Also, the online portion of the game SUCKS. It's not even worth playing really. The restrictions on the cars is way to limited, so I go into a room where it says under 600hp and over 1000kg, I show up in a kick ass Scuderia, only to find people in full on race cars. How is that fair? How do i know that's what they're driving? So, I exit the race, get a car built to race with them, and then they're in bed because I've had to wait ten minutes for menus etc to load and to equip my car.
Online doesn't suck if you know how to use it. How about getting some friends who can join your lounge? Not only would you have bragging rights but you know they'll not bring a 'full on race car' to a production/road car race.

Toronto122
Also, little things like paint. Shouldn't the whole car be previewed when you choose a paint? Not just a little thingy? (lol)
This is already possible, albeit slightly long-winded.
 
Not sure why i play it. Probably because Its the only none super arcade racing game on ps3.
 
I like how classy it feels compared to all the other "super extreme crashing nitro action!" racing games. It's not as artificially exciting as many of the other "racing" games I've played like need for speed, but it's also not as bland as many of the sims I've played like the original GTR. It's a great game to just boot up and have fun driving.
 
gt on ps1 was a magic moment for me. i was about 10 years old to that time and didn´t even own a psone. i played the game at a friend for the first time and was infected immediately. ever since then i played every gran turismo, shared stories with my schoolmates in recess and met after school to play together.

now i got my first wheel (g27, including a great rig) with gt5 and it raised fun to a whole new level. there´s no other game giving me such a good impression how it could actually be to drive a racecar (except gtr evo, which has a great physic, too!).

the many cars, the great tracks (even if some of the best are missing in gt5, like el capitan or midfield :( ), option to tune your car as you want.. could write a book here..

ofc gt has never been flawless and after 6 years of development i was a bit disappointed about the content, but still it´s a great, great game.
 
Because it's a racing game. :D
 
Nurburgring, sunrise, partially cloudy, in car view, the only music playing is the roar of your engine

No other game can do this like GT5 does

been doing that since around 2008 in GTR2, granted GT5 looks better (in some cars) but GTR2s physics and ffb are better, and it's not even the best PC sim.

To the OP, Coupled with a steering wheel GT5 gives the only console experience that even remotely gets close to what a good PC sim has been delivering for a while. Take all the good bits and the game is sublime, even with all the things I hate about the game it has enough to keep me playing, whereas I had Forza 3 in June last year and occasionally pick it up for a play but the inability to use a G25 on it (damn you M$hite) kills it compared to GT5.

Premium car + Premium track + G25 = console gaming nirvana.
 
I'm very unhappy about how GT5 turned out and how Polyphony have addressed the problems with it, HOWEVER..

This thread is about what I love about the game, and that is:

Recently starting a race series with friends, so we're racing road cars with equal power to weight ratio's on the same tyres over decent race distances, using the best/better tracks in the game, in a hard, fast and fair race with a variety of different cars.

After spending the first 3 months tearing my hair out about this game, finally it is starting to come good.

This is what I wanted, to race my friends in my favourite road cars which I've tuned and styled, on decent tracks in an equal and fair way.

Now, depsite all it's faults and glaring issues, I'm starting to love this game for the first time since it's release and many of my friends feel the same way too.
 
Last edited:
Too many things to list make me love the franchise but strangely in a pathetic way the GT logo is something of a work of art which gets me fired up for racing any where I see it.
Also the fact that GT is tied in with real world racing in so many ways.
 
The highlight for me is well thought out grinding system.

No game does it better.
 
I still think it is a very good game. The cars, physics and courses are all amazing. I am however very disappointed In the actual gameplay and gt mode in the game, after all the other installments you would think they had the opportunity to take the best feature from the previous games and improve upon them.

The GT mode is so flawed, the majority of it is all endurance races and b spec, very dull and very boring. I like having both these aspects in the game, but not at the expense of fun and challenging events that a) you actually drive the car yourself and b) you can finish in a day.

This game also lacks challenge in the races, yes you can choose to use a slower car and make it more challenging, but the fact is you can coast through the game with very little challenge if you choose to. It takes away from the fun of the race if you know you can ways just switch to a more powerful car and easily win, even if you make tons of mistakes and fly all over the course. There are only a couple of races that offer up even the slightest amount of challenge until you figure out which car to use.

It seems like they spent all the time making the physics and cars feel great and didn't focus any attention on the playability of the game.

Don't get me wrong it's still a good game, I was just expecting a little more after waiting for all these years
 
Nurburgring 4H A spec in an untuned Mines Skyline. Deep.
 
Many cars
Many tracks
Looks good
Feels good
Extra content coming (seasonals)

The first game i have bpught a wheel for, getting it monday
 
i love it because i can play my buddies online
 
I know the game's flaws, actually I get tired of them.

But honestly, this is the one game where you can have an entire Group C race and have a blast doing it. It's not entirely the best game, but when it comes down to the driving, it's quite good.
 
For me the graphics and the best handling of all racing games
Thats why i buyed it
 
(option to tune your car as you want.. could write a book here..

If you bought the collectors edition, they did.
 
A lot of people who like Gran Turismo are people who are car enthusiasts. Notice all the Honda servers, theres like 10 for every 100 servers. Too bad there's not that many VW and Audi servers. And a lot of people like it because of the diversity of the cars. So many ways to play.
 
Back