What's the Oldest Car you've Ever Driven?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jim Prower
  • 56 comments
  • 3,861 views

Jim Prower

The Big Blue Ford.
Premium
Messages
10,620
Messages
gtp_jimprower
Ever had the wheel of some antique brass? a rattly old Ford or a big, floaty Chrysler? Ever felt the strain that comes from manual clutches and gigantic steering wheels? So, man, out with it! Let's see what you've driven.

Myself?

1927 Ford Model T. Followed closely by a '31 Ford A, and a '51 Chrysler Windsor.

Model T Operating Procedures.
1. turn key to "BATT," retarding spark to full, giving some gas with hand throttle. Hit starter on floor.
2. Remember that you forgot to turn on the gas. go around, open the hood, open the valve.
3. hit starter again. If you flood it, go to front and use crank. Hope it doesnt' rip your arm off.
4. It Fired! Advance spark, quick! even more difficult if you used the crank! Also, reduce throttle.
5. Move "Reverser" bar on your left side, by the door, to center "Neutral" position. Press "R" pedal (In the center, where the brake would be,) to move backward. Give just enough gas to move the car.
6. stop using the pedal on the far right, the brake. Your gas pedal is in your hand, remember?

Congratulations! you're out of the drivway! Just a few more steps...

7. Press "C" Pedal halfway in, (On the far left) and move the reverser bar to full forward. Give some gas and push "C" down fully. This engages low gear.
8. Guess about when you're moving 10-15 MPH, as you have no speedometer, and simultaneously lift halfway off the "C" Pedal, and reduce throttle with your hand.
9. wait for engine to coast down, then lift off "C" completely, engaging High gear. give it some gas to accellerate.

Congratulations! You're moving! remember to keep a firm grip on the wheel, as you have no power steering, and it's probably pretty loose. Perform steps 6-9 to stop and leave from a stop sign. Use Bicycle Hand signals to signal turns, as you have no turn signals. Make sure when you're waving at other people that you keep a firm grip on that wheel, and a big smile is required.;3

The Model A and the '51 Windsor are light years ahead. The "A" DRives like a normal stick, other than the fact that you have to wait for the engine revs to fall, as you have no synchro and the flywheel's heavy. It's kind of like a Big Rig. the Windsor has a unique 2-speed semiauto with a "Safety Clutch" that has to be disengaged in order to change from "N" to "D," "oD," or "R." Otherwise, It's a big, floaty, typical '50s car with an automatic and no power steering or brakes, and squirmy Bias Ply tires.

So, your stories?
 
The oldest I've ever driven? An '82 ford escort. It was the first manual I'd ever driven. I wouldn't shift into first gear properly, so I had to start from 2nd.

lol.
 
1988 Mazda Multi Problem Vehicle.

I don't really drive very much.
 
I highly reccommend to anyone to find a guy who'll give you a ride or let you drive his old machine. There's nothing like it.
 
I drove a 1953 Chevy Shortbed truck.
Manual trans with shifter on column.
The starter was a push-pedal on the floor.

Then there was a 1954 Ford Sedan.
Fully restored right down to the tube radio,
Also a 3-on-the-tree.
 
Original non restoration: 1970 Pontiac GTO
Restored: 1956 Chevy Nomad
 
I would say late 1980s Taurus. Driver's ed car.
 
32' Ford Coupe, although it was a completely redone street rod.
 
Bah, 1988 RX-7...
 
My dad's 1963-1/2 Ford Falcon. Before he upgraded the front brakes to discs, it required both feet to stop. It turns as quickly as a Nimitz carrier, and has an awesome 2-speed Slug-O-Matic transmission.
DSCF0191a.jpg
 
me dads '56 land rover series one, other than that a few 70s series 3's, off roading of course :sly: and one on a rally track once too :p im not a fan of the "ball plus stick" gearstick tho lol
 
Mine was a 1978 VW Beetle convertible this summer (2007). It was the first and only stick shift I have ever driven, its brakes were shot and there were no seat belts. In all honesty it was the most fun I ever had driving. It was warm summer day with the top down. The loudness of the engine and the joy of finally driving a stick shift was just awesome. Sure it was only a 15 minute drive and some stalls but I was on a windy country road and it was so much fun. I only had my permit at the time so my dad was with me and it was a nice time.
 
Now, there's been quite a collection of neat vehicles, but one in particular caught my eye...and, unfortunately, had very little description...

1939 BMW 327 Cabrio.

Well, well, well! Please, Do tell us more!

Also, @ socomplayer2, Good on ya, enjoying an aircooled VW!
 
Also, @ socomplayer2, Good on ya, enjoying an aircooled VW!

Hell yea. I wouldn't mind getting a restored one when I get older as a weekend car. Of course I would fix it up with a higher cc engine, a new suspension and all that good stuff.
 
Ever had the wheel of some antique brass? a rattly old Ford or a big, floaty Chrysler? Ever felt the strain that comes from manual clutches and gigantic steering wheels? So, man, out with it! Let's see what you've driven.

Myself?

1927 Ford Model T. Followed closely by a '31 Ford A, and a '51 Chrysler Windsor.

Model T Operating Procedures.
1. turn key to "BATT," retarding spark to full, giving some gas with hand throttle. Hit starter on floor.
2. Remember that you forgot to turn on the gas. go around, open the hood, open the valve.
3. hit starter again. If you flood it, go to front and use crank. Hope it doesnt' rip your arm off.
4. It Fired! Advance spark, quick! even more difficult if you used the crank! Also, reduce throttle.
5. Move "Reverser" bar on your left side, by the door, to center "Neutral" position. Press "R" pedal (In the center, where the brake would be,) to move backward. Give just enough gas to move the car.
6. stop using the pedal on the far right, the brake. Your gas pedal is in your hand, remember?

Congratulations! you're out of the drivway! Just a few more steps...

7. Press "C" Pedal halfway in, (On the far left) and move the reverser bar to full forward. Give some gas and push "C" down fully. This engages low gear.
8. Guess about when you're moving 10-15 MPH, as you have no speedometer, and simultaneously lift halfway off the "C" Pedal, and reduce throttle with your hand.
9. wait for engine to coast down, then lift off "C" completely, engaging High gear. give it some gas to accellerate.

Congratulations! You're moving! remember to keep a firm grip on the wheel, as you have no power steering, and it's probably pretty loose. Perform steps 6-9 to stop and leave from a stop sign. Use Bicycle Hand signals to signal turns, as you have no turn signals. Make sure when you're waving at other people that you keep a firm grip on that wheel, and a big smile is required.;3

The Model A and the '51 Windsor are light years ahead. The "A" DRives like a normal stick, other than the fact that you have to wait for the engine revs to fall, as you have no synchro and the flywheel's heavy. It's kind of like a Big Rig. the Windsor has a unique 2-speed semiauto with a "Safety Clutch" that has to be disengaged in order to change from "N" to "D," "oD," or "R." Otherwise, It's a big, floaty, typical '50s car with an automatic and no power steering or brakes, and squirmy Bias Ply tires.

So, your stories?

what a coincidence, I drove my uncles '21 (I think) Model T around the neighborhood before I even had my learners, then I had the wonderful opportunity to drive a very trusting stranger's '27 in the last Montgomery County Fair 👍👍 I doubt there are many experiences that are quite the same
 
Actually, physically, completely 110% driving it on my own: A 1987 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera convertible. I would normally consider cars like my Grandfather's '73 F-150 and my Dad's '80 Chevrolet Caprice, but I was always driving with them helping me with something (I was probably around 10 or 11 when I "drove" them), so they don't count.

But the 911? What a treat it was. It was my first time driving a car that would have actually been considered something outstandingly fast at the time, and needless to say, I was a bit scared. The owner does some vintage Porsche racing with the car so it had been slightly modified; Racing wheels and tires, a few other bits and pieces that I had assumed where there but he never pointed them out.

The first time driving it, I had been in a bicycle race earlier that day, so my legs were unbelievably tired. The clutch was heavy, the stick just a bit vague for my tastes, but my God was it an unbelievable drive. I hadn't ever driven something that felt so immediately "direct" in its attitude, be it the steering or the throttle. Running it upwards of 100 MPH wasn't difficult at all, and when the owner was actually encouraging you to push it just a bit, well, it was just awesome.

Its a bit odd that I always talk so positively of older cars, that Porsche being the oldest I've actually driven on my own, but I will always be fond of the ancient vehicles. Hopefully we can get Dad's '68 Camaro sorted out before the '09 is sitting in the driveway...
 
I have been in many 1920/30's cars but the oldest I driven myself was a 1953 Pontiac, original/unrestored.
 
what a coincidence, I drove my uncles '21 (I think) Model T around the neighborhood before I even had my learners, then I had the wonderful opportunity to drive a very trusting stranger's '27 in the last Montgomery County Fair 👍👍 I doubt there are many experiences that are quite the same

Aw, ya beat me by a few years. Still, the "T" is something every car enthusiast should try, if for nothing more than the absolutely alien experience.

Actually, physically, completely 110% driving it on my own: A 1987 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera convertible. I would normally consider cars like my Grandfather's '73 F-150 and my Dad's '80 Chevrolet Caprice, but I was always driving with them helping me with something (I was probably around 10 or 11 when I "drove" them), so they don't count.

But the 911? What a treat it was. It was my first time driving a car that would have actually been considered something outstandingly fast at the time, and needless to say, I was a bit scared. The owner does some vintage Porsche racing with the car so it had been slightly modified; Racing wheels and tires, a few other bits and pieces that I had assumed where there but he never pointed them out.

The first time driving it, I had been in a bicycle race earlier that day, so my legs were unbelievably tired. The clutch was heavy, the stick just a bit vague for my tastes, but my God was it an unbelievable drive. I hadn't ever driven something that felt so immediately "direct" in its attitude, be it the steering or the throttle. Running it upwards of 100 MPH wasn't difficult at all, and when the owner was actually encouraging you to push it just a bit, well, it was just awesome.

Its a bit odd that I always talk so positively of older cars, that Porsche being the oldest I've actually driven on my own, but I will always be fond of the ancient vehicles. Hopefully we can get Dad's '68 Camaro sorted out before the '09 is sitting in the driveway...

You know, I love the older cars, too. (Obviously, made this thread...) and you've had the experience of driving an air-cooled 911...damn it, one of the greatest cars ever. great story! 👍
 
I just remembered that when my dad got a 1964 FJ40 for a quick little project that didn't really work out, he let me drive it up the driveway a little bit. I hope whoever we sold it to fixed it up.
 
Aw, ya beat me by a few years. Still, the "T" is something every car enthusiast should try, if for nothing more than the absolutely alien experience.

I was talking to my uncle and apparently it was a TT (t truck I guess?)
 
'65 stang conv. w/ a 4 spd.

My car is an '88 wannabe hachi roku
 
I was talking to my uncle and apparently it was a TT (t truck I guess?)

Yeah, T-based 1-ton truck.

Kinda funny, though, when you think about it: had the same engine, but was twice as big!
 
My dad's 1969 VW Baja Bug
CopyofJuly2004bugfront.jpg
 
Oh, what an awesomely '70s paint job!
 
I drove a old VW Beetle (don't know the year) but it had no brakes, it was yellow, and had basically no acceleration. I look stupid driving a rolling banana peel. Marcus won't get rid of that damn car.
 
I know! It was actually on the car when we got it. It's a fun car to drive though, the engine is exposed and has dual fiberglass packed tailpipes. We rebuilt the engine last winter and redid the interior.
 
My dad had a Bug as his first car...utterly ricerlicious with a hood scoop on the front and rear wing. But it had appreciably more power, could beat a 'Vette on the first 60 feet. rest of the track was no contest to the Chevrolet. also had the prerequisite CB radio (Early '80s, remember...) and he'd made a rather cheap improvement to his wheels by spray-painting them white. Dad said a trucker once commented that they looked pretty smart.

Oh, I forgot...the shag carpet headliner....XD

@ racerx510: Tell your buddy to modify it!!!

Sold it for an S-10. Then married Mom, got a Rabbit Cabrio..then Mom got pregnant with me, and they sold that for a Mk. II Golf, which he kept until his work started giving him a company truck.

Mom's first car was a Ford Maverick.
 
An omigod-this-thing-has-too-much-power-for-a-starter-driver 1970 Plymouth Duster 340. It was a lot of fun until dad yelled at me because I drove it into a ditch.
 
Back