Whats with the smaller Grids online?

• Thread starter CHEN255
  • 25 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
chen-255
I noticed this from a few days ago that the maximum grid size has reduced to 12 cars. Has anyone had grids over 20 cars lately?

When I was C class RFP, we were 20-24. But, when I came back to B class RFP, I noticed that we were maximum 12 on the grid. Maybe it's related to a server update, but I think it's more related to the number of people in each RFP class. A lot of people in C => 24 people on the grid, less people in B => 12 people on the grid. I hope that it's not the case...

A class => 6 people and S class => 2 people :-D

Do you think maybe it is because of the moaning about contact? Less cars on track means less possibility for crashing ;)

What he said ^^

Obviously I don't know, but I'd guess it's to allow people to drive cleanly and avoid potential idiots. Fingers crossed they change it as time goes by and the driver rating system separates the clean from the dirty

What's the point of starting in 24th on a 3 to 5 lap race? Your chances of getting into the top10 are incredibly slow and that can make people give up on Sport mode.

I think it makes sense to have full grids for longer races. The ones we have now, are probably OK with 12 cars only.

I'm just guessing here as I usually start between 1-5.

It can be for stability reasons or just testing out different options and spread people more. If you noticed, we had 24 grids before but only 1 race per hour. Now we have races every 20 min or so.

I think they are adjusting the penalties system constantly. In order to do so they want less contacts in races , hence less drivers.

One thing that is unacceptable is getting a 12 seconds penalty for not purposely cutting a chicane on Lago Maggiore. That's sooo unfair. 5 Seconds would already be a lot. And slowing down doesn't always work to reduce the penalty, which is the icing on the cake...

People were complaining that it was too chaotic. I think they will get back to 24 when everything settle down.

What's the point of starting in 24th on a 3 to 5 lap race? Your chances of getting into the top10 are incredibly slow and that can make people give up on Sport mode.

I think it makes sense to have full grids for longer races. The ones we have now, are probably OK with 12 cars only.

It can be for stability reasons or just testing out different options and spread people more. If you noticed, we had 24 grids before but only 1 race per hour. Now we have races every 20 min or so.

up your SR?
I agree you can't win from the back, but I've had a couple of races starting dead last and have finished within the top5 and gotten a podium (at least a mental podium, as the online game seems to ignore this pretty significant part of motor racing)...

up your SR?
I agree you can't win from the back, but I've had a couple of races starting dead last and have finished within the top5 and gotten a podium (at least a mental podium, as the online game seems to ignore this pretty significant part of motor racing)...

Can't you do that with 12 grids? I'm sure you can even if you start in first and never drop to 2nd.

The chances of improving your SR if you start last in 24 grid races are probably slimmer compared to the chances of lowering it. Again, the occasional opposite can happen but probably most of the cases are not so positive.

We're all just speculating.

A lot of people in C class drive dirty. I can't imagine how it is in D class races :-/.

It must be heaven in S class races :-D

You would think they would have run a beta or two to test this kind of thing...........................................................

Can't you do that with 12 grids? I'm sure you can even if you start in first and never drop to 2nd.

The chances of improving your SR if you start last in 24 grid races are probably slimmer compared to the chances of lowering it. Again, the occasional opposite can happen but probably most of the cases are not so positive.

We're all just speculating.

idk, to me it doesn't really matter the size of the grid. I enjoy racing and battling for position, doesn't matter if I'm fighting for 15th or 1st

You would think they would have run a beta or two to test this kind of thing...........................................................

Yep, but IIRC they didn't have half grids during either the demo or the beta and people were complaining a lot already.

Yep, but IIRC they didn't have half grids during either the demo or the beta and people were complaining a lot already.
Exactly.

So the time to test smaller grids and different grid size would have been during the beta and demo.

Exactly.

So the time to test smaller grids and different grid size would have been during the beta and demo.

Maybe the data they're getting is different from that of the beta/demo and they need to test some more. What's your guess about the half grids? I have no idea, I simply guessed it could be further testing after so many complaints.

Keep mind everyone who played and care about sport mode during the demo (most hardcore players I'd say) carried their Dr Sr to the full game, so most of the grids on lower ratings after the game released are probably less skilled players (only appealing to probability here, not stating a fact).

Maybe the data they're getting is different from that of the beta/demo and they need to test some more. What's your guess about the half grids? I have no idea, I simply guessed it could be further testing after so many complaints.

Keep mind everyone who played and care about sport mode during the demo (most hardcore players I'd say) carried their Dr Sr to the full game, so most of the grids on lower ratings after the game released are probably less skilled players (only appealing to probability here, not stating a fact).

Could be to do with server load?
You can't really test for that and you can't invest in servers before you have paid up customers (something Blizzard suffers with at every launch). Maybe they are trying to reduce load and pings across races so that they don't turn into F1 20XX lobbies of people jumping around lag spiking all over the place?

My guess on half grids is that its to try and combat the poor driving standards and issues with contact and how the SR/DR system fails to deal with it.

These were both issues that came up repeatedly in the closed beta, so PD and Sony were well aware of it, as such it was a choice not to test alternatives during the beta (which would have been the time to do so).

Could be to do with server load?
You can't really test for that and you can't invest in servers before you have paid up customers (something Blizzard suffers with at every launch). Maybe they are trying to reduce load and pings across races so that they don't turn into F1 20XX lobbies of people jumping around lag spiking all over the place?

So full grid rooms are on different servers than half grid ones? (Same number of players are racing).

My guess on half grids is that its to try and combat the poor driving standards and issues with contact and how the SR/DR system fails to deal with it.

These were both issues that came up repeatedly in the closed beta, so PD and Sony were well aware of it, as such it was a choice not to test alternatives during the beta (which would have been the time to do so).

Yes. And as I said before, they could have tested it before because people were already complaining. That's why I suspect it could be something more other than only that. But we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Yes. And as I said before, they could have tested it before because people were already complaining. That's why I suspect it could be something more other than only that. But we'll have to wait and see I guess.
Regardless of the reason for it, they would all be subjects that should and could have been covered in the beta.

Keep in mind that the beta was massive in terms of numbers participating, ran for months, ran globally and focused exclusively on the sports mode, given that they had more than enough to ensure as robust a set-up for live as was required.

Now early in the closed beta lag was a massive issue (ping around 120 for myself), which was improved massively during the beta (at the end it was sub 40 every race). The launch version I have not found any lag or ping issues at all, nor have I seen reports of them (not to the same degree as the early beta). As such I find it unlikely that they have reduced the grid count for that reason.

I never got anywhere near a win in the 24 car races as I was always starting at the back mainly, in the 12 car race I’ve won a few times now, fastest lap and on pole, so I for one, welcome our 12 car overlords :D

Back