Wheel and MT much faster?

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Using a pad, I think I've come to the limit of my laptimes (can't get any GR3 car around Dragon Trail faster than mid-1'38). Is a wheel and manual gearbox worth tenths or full seconds? I don't appear to have the dexterity to use a manual 'box with a pad... probably my age.

Try using the 6 axis motion steering with the d pad! It's good fun.
I've tried several ways but this works the best (for me).
Gear L2R2
Throttle/brake right stick
Sensitivity 1

Perhaps switch on some aids in the beginning.
It's "almost" like a wheel :)

I will try that, thank you

We’ve got TVs everywhere but nowhere to actually mount a wheel and pedals. I have looked at a whole seat thing but there would probably be tears if that appeared in one of the rooms

Try using the 6 axis motion steering with the d pad! It's good fun.
I've tried several ways but this works the best (for me).
Gear L2R2
Throttle/brake right stick
Sensitivity 1

Perhaps switch on some aids in the beginning.
It's "almost" like a wheel :)

I tried this, and I just cannot get used to it. And I've used a wheel before (just don't have the space for one right now).
Something about the total lack of anchor makes using the motion controls all funky.

To OP's question, I'm not sure what times I was putting on Dragon Tail I think mid 1.39 on a pad - but I'm using manual and it's fairly easy to adjust to.

Using a pad, I think I've come to the limit of my laptimes (can't get any GR3 car around Dragon Trail faster than mid-1'38). Is a wheel and manual gearbox worth tenths or full seconds? I don't appear to have the dexterity to use a manual 'box with a pad... probably my age.

Don't know with PS4 but with ps3 there was no difference.
The 'problem' with the pad is you steer to much or floor the throttle to quick.
It took me a year before I drove the same laptimes when I started using the wheel.
And everyone's got his limit
:cheers:

Not 100% sure about the wheel, but MT will always make you faster.

Especially with cars that take longer to change gears, staying in a higher gear on certain corners can help you gain almost half a second in some cases. The current one make daily races with the peugeot is a good example.

We’ve got TVs everywhere but nowhere to actually mount a wheel and pedals. I have looked at a whole seat thing but there would probably be tears if that appeared in one of the rooms

Get a wheelstand Pro, can be folded away quite easily when not in use. They do them for most popular wheels. Just Google it ;)

MT for me key, the ability corner without the AI deciding what is best can be a win onn its own. Times when my mid 4th corner trumps their high 3rd. Then theres slower cars that the game gets all wrong, like todays 1 makes.

MT for me key, the ability corner without the AI deciding what is best can be a win onn its own. Times when my mid 4th corner trumps their high 3rd. Then theres slower cars that the game gets all wrong, like todays 1 makes.

There have been many times I've wanted a lower or higher gear. Interlagos yesterday was certainly one. I had to tap the brake mid corner to down shift. I've tried and tried to get the MT to work for me with the pad... I guess I'm just not coordinated enough. I've used a wheel before, I liked it and could use the paddles fine. It's been a few years since I owned one tho.

Yep, in that Renault Sport thing on Supersoft tyres. Can't do it in anything else! 39 in 911 RSR and R8, 40s in 458. Not tried anything else. Married with work and children!

I thought it it might have been with racing hards (was going to say that is might impressive!)

A wheel and manual will definitely make you faster, but just like anything it takes time and patience.

The wheel will give you more precise steering, you can place on the track better, and I have found it to be a lot more consistent than using a controller when trying to thread the needle in a turn. The throttle and brake pedal provide the biggest advantage in my opinion (with a controller you cannot instantly apply full accelerating or braking force like you can with pedals, and it is impossible to modulate at around 85-100% pressure with a controller).

As others have mentioned, manual will help you stay in the cars powerband, and you can make the choice of staying up or down a gear for traction or acceleration, and it's fun!

full
Was the 1.38 done with BOP on hard tires?

No! Stock settings with softs. Porsche was a 40.1 not 39. Brain fade.

Last edited:
I always used auto with GT6 but with PD changing the button layouts, I had to drop my R2+square combo to triggers only. Switched to manual 3 or 4 days ago (X and square for gears) and I'm already quicker, plus the extra level of control I've got on holding the right gear for specific corners has made it a lot easier to see where I can gain even more time. Short shifting has been invaluable too.

I'm still learning the finer points of making the most of manual gears but what I've learned so far has been game changing in a big way.

Playseat challenge an option perhaps? Just fold it up and move it away.

A wheel is worth honing your real life reflexes and skills. If you don’t ever plan on transferring these skills to real life driving, stick with the controller.

You have to go MT on a ds4 if you want to have competitive times. L2=brake R2=gas gives you modulation control that can match pedals. Triangle for upshift and square for downshift works best for me. You lose so much time with an AT tranny thats for sure. The only downside a ds4 has when comparing to a wheel is the directional input because a wheel can give you smoother turns. Played with a controller from gt1-gt6. Finally got myself a wheel for GTS and ive been faster, but I am still able to almost match my wheel times with a ds4. Was able to gold all driving school and mission challenges with a MT DS4. But the wheel is definitely quicker by a bit.

I used to be so stubborn to use a manual before just like you. Ive been an old school gt gamer where my muscle memory was programmed for X=gas square=brakes. Good thing that there was a long break in between gt6 and gts and i would have to thank gta online for remapping my brain to use L2 and R2 for gas/brakes lol

I used to be so stubborn to use a manual before just like you. Ive been an old school gt gamer where my muscle memory was programmed for X=gas square=brakes. Good thing that there was a long break in between gt6 and gts and i would have to thank gta online for remapping my brain to use L2 and R2 for gas/brakes lol

I have struggled to change gear, brake and steer at the same time. However, I’m not known for my patience...

I have struggled to change gear, brake and steer at the same time. However, I’m not known for my patience...
Yessir it takes awhile to get used to but I guarantee you that it is possible coz I used to think just like that too!

Back