• Black (Flat or Gloss)

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Silver

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
Australia
Brisbane
Punknoodle_Nick
Ever since I bought my car I've been searching for the perfect rims for my Celica. Its been a long process but I'm happy to go with my choice of 17" SSR Professor SR1s - Link - which are available in all different stud patterns and offsets to suit my car. They also have a pretty fat lip for a positive offset wheel, which is what I was after. Perfect.

I was thinking of going 18" but I've decided against it for a number of reasons, tire price is one, ride quality / handling is another and the other is that I think smaller rims, when done right, have more of a race orientated look because of that extra rubber around the outside.

I was fairly set on colour too - white. Lately however, I've been having second thoughts on that colour. I know it comes down to my choice at the end of the day as it's my car but it would be interesting to guage your opinions. All the rims have a polished lip, keep that in mind.

This is my car, so you can see the colour:

P1000071.jpg

lowered.jpg

White: I've seen white wheels on my colour car before and it looked good (Think OZ wheels) and I think it would have a serious track car sort of look to it.

white_lrg.jpg

But there are other options as I said, and I think the direct competitor for the white wheels is Super Black Coat, such a great colour that I think will go great with my car:

sbc_lrg.jpg

Of course there is also flat, or gloss black but I don't think either would suit my colour. There sure are nice though.

black_lrg.jpg
flatblack_lrg.jpg

And lastly, there is silver, tried and true, but I think just too plain.

silver_lrg.jpg

What do you think? Basically I'm not after flashy, I'm after more of a tough, race look.

Is bronze too flashy? Or or those the wheels you want and you don't want to have them painted/powder coated?

SP1s? Awesome.

Get the centers painted something interesting. Teal would look fantastic. A deep blue maybe. Or maybe mix up some metal flake with it. Maybe a creme-ish white or biege. I think the contrast of shiny maroon paint on luxurious satin-brown painted centers would look fantastic.

Whatever you choose, don't be boring. You're bolting up some SP1s and since you're already ballin' at 80% you might as well go for broke and get them custom painted.

EDIT: Stupid Exploder. I'll fix that link later, I'm at school...

Last edited:
Ignore any color suggestions by Keef; he is color and taste blind.

I'd suggest black of some sort, as it will complement the black trim around the head lamps and other parts of the car better, while anything else will just kind of be there, out of place on the car. A satin finish would probably be best, as it wouldn't be overly flashy but would avoid the "hey Ma, look at dem wheel I painted with this here rattle can" look as well.

I'd suggest black of some sort
What shade of black do you prefer?

Anyways, something halfway interesting. What's more custom and personal than actually painting your own wheels?...

6e5d5d6c.jpg

5a8660be.jpg

I'm not suggesting metallic magenta on a maroon car, I'm just giving you an example.

4836641490_18dc648f53_b.jpg

orangesp1_2.jpg

Tell you what, I'm just going to post S1s because nobody does anything interesting with SP1s. If you custom paint those things you'll be one of very few interesting results on a Google image search. That's one more reason why you should do it.

Oh look, and FC looking sexy on custom blue S1s...

35799630.png

s2k_s12p_custom.jpg

4380386227_78b389ee0b.jpg

6.jpg

6zr0xw.jpg

civicmf2.jpg

I digress.

White would look good, I'll vouch for that. White-centered SP1s always look good on anything. Compliment the white wheels with colorful lug nuts for that little bit of attention-grabbing detail. But whatever you do, don't get them in black. Please lord, don't do black. Don't do silver or polish either.

Don't forget to stance the balls off that car, too. That makes any wheel look good.

EDIT: Ideally you should get them powdercoated, not painted.

Last edited:
I'm totally with you on the custom colours, but I reckon only on a black or white car...
Black and white makes it easier because you can simply use anything. There's a bit of color theory involved with painting wheels on a whatever-color car. Break the rules and it looks horrid, but do it right and it's great. Bust out your color wheel and start experimenting!

Color%20Wheel%20Finished%20Website.jpg

Blues and oranges provide an interesting, attractive contrast - they're complimentary colors. Reds and greens, same thing (as long as you avoid traditional Christmas shades). Purples and yellows? Fantastic.

Pay attention to companies with "trendy" logos and color schemes and good typography. The people that came up with those color schemes didn't pick at random - they went to school for it.

Just happened to have an example laying on my desk so I went and took a picture:

downsize4v.jpg

Light blue contrasting in between orange and red-orange. It's nice.

Also, you could get the wheels painted body color. It wouldn't look dumb because you'll have the polished lip and black tires separating the two. Actually it would look great...

fd_s13p_blue_800.jpg

punks_not_dead2.jpg

IMG_5055.jpg

Need some proof for teal-on-maroon?

5192830057_28b5bcc9ac_b.jpg

Gorgeous color combo.

Now that I think about it, my favorites would be body color, or teal/aqua/light blue.

images

I'd say white would look odd on SP1's, they just aren't the right shape to pull off a white finish. Satin Black looks pretty cool.

If you really wanted white then you'd need a wheel that would suit the colour, for example.

3487d1194838776-oz-racing-wheels-suit-oz-wheels.jpg

Beg to differ on sp1s not looking good in white, I think they look incredible :) Getting dirty is not a problem I clean the car often and keep it in the garage, it only gets used occasionally as I have a work vehicle. Polished and black get just as dirty.

I do like teal on maroon but not for my car I think, it isn't modified on the outside at all and I think having extreme looking wheels would kind of be out of place..

Bronze... There's an idea. With a nice polished lip would be ok I think. I'll take a proper side on shot tonight and post it.

Anyone know who has a large colour selection of lug nuts?

Floats, thank you for reminding me of some pretty cool wheels. Punknoodle, you do realize you drive a Toyota, right? And do you know what that means? That means this...

DSC01414.jpg

toms%20racing%2015s.jpg

If you were a really cool guy you'd spend months scouring the internet for these and then pay an arm and a leg for them. Epic.

You need a set of gold, three-piece BBS wheels. Period. There is nothing left to discuss.

I'm assuming the ST185 has a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, which means finding good wheels won't be all that difficult.

I'm not sold on the SP1's, simply because I think they need a LOT of lip in order to look right, needing sizing you'd see on a 350/370Z or Supra, for instance.

Volk RE30? CE28N? TE37? Advan RG2? RS? Weds TC105N? Work XT9? SSR Type-F? Enkei RPF1, even? They're all much more motorsport oriented than the SP1 when you look at them, and they're most likely in the same price range.

If you go with brightly colored wheels be sure that there's a chrome/metallic border between the coloring of the wheels and your car, otherwise it just looks bad.

-Fred-
I'm assuming the ST185 has a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, which means finding good wheels won't be all that difficult.

Unfortunately you are incorrect, it's 5x100, with a +35 offset so all the 5x100 wheels made for subarus won't fit either. You can get sp1s pretty much any size and offset you like, plus I really like the sp1s, I think they will suit, so style isn't really the question. Just the colour.

Zenith013
If you go with brightly colored wheels be sure that there's a chrome/metallic border between the coloring of the wheels and your car, otherwise it just looks bad.

All the sp1s have a polished lip mate so that's no drama.

Last edited:
...with a +35 offset so all the 5x100 wheels made for subarus won't fit either.
Why not? You said yourself that...
You can get sp1s pretty much any size and offset you like

Nobody buys wheels "made for" anything these days. Any of the offsets you've ever seen on a nicely fitted car would be expressly forbidden by pretty much any wheel authority like Tire Rack. The art of wheel fitment involves hours upon hours of scouring forums to find a picture of good fitment, and then a few more hours finding the specs of the car in the picture.

@ Keef - exactly, I was stating that the SP1s were good because they come in a range of offsets, this is why I can get them with the offset I require.

You'll see that a lot of wheels that come in 5x100 have a fixed offset of around +47, even the expensive ones, which is the Subaru offset (all those WRX owners prompted the companies to make wheels for them I suppose). My factory offset is +35. Now, at the front there is room with a 7.5" wheel to run an offset of around +30 to get the wheel out closer to the guard without rubbing (which is my aim). If I went with a +47 wheel I'd need to run spacers to get back to standard offset, let alone a +30 offset, which obviously isn't ideal and illegal.

The thing is, the track on an ST185 at the front is wider than the rear, yet the rear guards are pumped out more than the front (go figure). My choices are then, to just run +30 all round and live with the gap between guard and wheel at the back, go staggered fitment and get maybe a +25 or even +20 offset wheel for the back (or a wider wheel to keep the offset the same, but being a 4wd it isn't good to run different size wheels) or keep the same offset all round (makes rotating wheels easier) and run a rear spacer (as I said, illegal.)

The problem is, also, that if I run a spacer or stager the rims and run say a +20 offset, the offset becomes radically different from factory and the handling may be adversly effected. I think I will just run as wide a combination I can get under the front guards and hopefully it will look wide enough in the back to fill up the guards. Its difficult in a 4WD to get the right balance and not totally screw the handling of the car. On a RWD with negative offset, its easy!

Anyway, I was rambling a bit there, the point I was trying to make is that you can get the SP1s in pretty much any offset you want. They also have a super low disc option to make the lip larger, a real benifit for those in FWDs or 4WDs that don't run a negative offset but still want nice lip depth. I bolded that statement because people were worried that this rim wouldn't look good in a positive offset, however with careful selection and going with the super low disc option you can still get around 70mm of lip :)

As I said, I've been hunting for different wheel styles for a long time and taken a lot of things into consideration, and done a lot of homework on them. The SP1s were the first wheels I instantly liked when I first saw them (my preferred style is fat 5 spoke with a lip) and upon inspection I could get them in any size I wanted, and they aren't stupidly expensive like some of the other Japanese wheels out there.

Anyway, enough rambling on why I chose this style (and please people, I really do like these rims so I'm really only throwing around colour choices at the moment) so heres a new photo of the car with a side profile. Had to take a new one since it was lowered, the old one was embarrasing! It looked like it was a Hilux)

P1010429.jpg

Feel free to go 'shopping with it ;)

I'd rock those Tom's wheels on my AW11. They're probably not 4x100 though.

I'd go with bronze TRD T3 5 spokes for the celica.

IMG_5568.jpg

They look a bit plain to me to be honest, colour is OK I suppose, but they definitely ain't me..
Sorry Keef but I'm still leaning towards white or polished. I could rock some teal lug nuts for you tho mate :) That would look pretty cool

Back