Wheel setup vs. DS3 setup.

• Thread starter Eric1512
  • 12 comments
United States
Pennsylvania
Redsuns_Eric_DRP
I just got a G27, so I am upgrading from my DFGT that I hardly used. I used my G27 all night and it is 100% better. Now main question is, what is different between a wheel setup and a controller setup. I have tried my controller setups on the wheel, but they just will not do. Thanks. :)👍

mostly, you want something softer for a smoother and faster drift, with the controller i have noticed everything is stiff cause the more stiff/ridged your body is the faster your car transfers and that is what controllers have to do
When you try this with a wheel you can turn the wheels as far as you want unlike the controller so you can whip the car faster so with the car that stiff and you whip the car fast its hard to compensate just how fast to counter steer soooo soften everything and you can be a lot smoother, stretch the corners a lot better, and it will increase you speed

Also just practice more you can't learn how to drift on day one

DriftEmotion FC
mostly, you want something softer for a smoother and faster drift, with the controller i have noticed everything is stiff cause the more stiff/ridged your body is the faster your car transfers and that is what controllers have to do
When you try this with a wheel you can turn the wheels as far as you want unlike the controller so you can whip the car faster so with the car that stiff and you whip the car fast its hard to compensate just how fast to counter steer soooo soften everything and you can be a lot smoother, stretch the corners a lot better, and it will increase you speed

Also just practice more you can't learn how to drift on day one

Thanks bro. And yeah I know. The clutch will take awhile to get use to! I know what I'm doing tomorrow! I gotta work on my wheel tuning capabilities.

Thanks bro. And yeah I know. The clutch will take awhile to get use to! I know what I'm doing tomorrow! I gotta work on my wheel tuning capabilities.

I seriously laughed hard eric... Crap Mis Shift, Crap Wrong Gear, Crap wont shift xD. Crap Clutch Pedal instead of brake:D:tup: Great Night eric had fun

Oh yeah i wish i could get on and help but i cant lol hope to get my ps3 back soon, anyway also you can use the clutch to transition. Right before you transfer, clutch kick and it will whip you car around but right now just pratice and have fun, later eric :D

definitely softer suspension, less camber, toe becomes more extreme, brake balance, gearing.... i think everything lol

Weight transfer is what you're looking for when drifting a wheel

Like you Eric I just got a G27. The controller tunes I have (for my 86, S13 and S14) are controllable (to a state) with the wheel but I have now given these cars wheel tunes, As in just given them stock suspension. Bit easier to use than my snappy controller tunes

Last edited:
Over all you want a softer setup like explained above. 👍

The clutch is unusable in GT5, it is a truly horrid simulation of a clutch so I don't use it, it's more of a hindrance than an advantage in this game. 👍👍 I wish gt5 had the clutch from live for speed. :lol:

The clutch is unusable in GT5, it is a truly horrid simulation of a clutch so I don't use it, it's more of a hindrance than an advantage in this game. 👍👍 I wish gt5 had the clutch from live for speed. :lol:

BTW sense your here CJ may i ask you a question? if you had to work for lets say 2 weeks for 250$ to buy a G27 or work 5 weeks for a T500RS? would you work the extra 3 weeks for a T500RS?

The clutch is a bit dodgey as it doesn't engage until fully depressed but it makes drifting that bit more interesting and involving

I would definitely work for the five weeks, if you can save up the money go for it. I was in your situation almost a year ago and I'm glad I chose to wait, I would have been kicking myself in the 🤬 if I had got a G27. Not that they are a bad wheel they are great, but they honestly don't come close to the T500 in terms of speed and feel. I can say this because my dad bought a G27, I drift on it from time to time when I teach him to drift.

eidt: @Eric You can use the G27 shifter as a sequential after shifting with a paddle shifter, you can then switch back to clutch mode by depressing the clutch. 👍👍

Last edited:
I would definitely work for the five weeks, if you can save up the money go for it. I was in your situation almost a year ago and I'm glad I chose to wait, I would have been kicking myself in the 🤬 if I had got a G27. Not that they are a bad wheel they are great, but they honestly don't come close to the T500 in terms of speed and feel. I can say this because my dad bought a G27, I drift on it from time to time when I teach him to drift.

eidt: @Eric You can use the G27 shifter as a sequential after shifting with a paddle shifter, you can then switch back to clutch mode by depressing the clutch. 👍👍

Cool thanks man, i was debating on this and i think i have my answer :D

Back