Wheel suitable for a beginner

• Thread starter HatMarris
  • 30 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
This is really for anyone but specifically @Tidgney because I just watched your video regarding g29 vs T300

I just wanted to know if, after however much time has passed, your opinions remain the same.

I am limited by budget and only really want to spend around 200 but would stretch to 300 if the differences were worth it. I can get the G29 with pedals and the separate shifter for £189 at the moment and wondered if that made it a better deal than the T300 especially as you point out the stock pedals are pretty grim.

I can’t justify any more expense (I know there are some awesome wheels out there) given my talent (lack of) and other financial priorities.

Really I just want something to help me enjoy the game. I find the controller very awkward for trying to learn manual even with the gears set to the right analog.

Thanks

Go for the G29. It comes in within your budget, and it's generally considered to be a rock solid wheel in terms of reliability.

It may be that the T300 is a better wheel, but somebody who's used both would need to chime in and explain the differences. However what I will say is that I've been using a G29 for the last 6 months, have thoroughly enjoyed it, and haven't really felt the desire to upgrade, at least not to something in the sub $800 market.

OK , so i just upgraded to the 300rs (599 FXX wheel) from the G29

Personally i dont think you can get better than the G29 for the money, my only complaint (maybe thats too strong a word) was the wheel size.
Since playing with the 300rs, i would say its smoother and gives better feedback.. and the wheel itself is bigger.

my stats are here http://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1284256 you can see when i got the new wheel a few weeks ago.

long story short, you gotta start somewhere and i think the G29 is ideal (rock solid build and good performance)

I was in the same boat as you and went with the G29. Haven’t had any issues with it, just plug it in and it works.

T300 is a better wheel but it is very unreliable. I had a T300 RS for about a month before it completely died on me during a race and I currently own another T300 (GT edition), which came with faulty right arrow on D-PAD and sometimes the game pauses itself, or goes to the PS menu so...

I'd go for a G29 if I were you. It is a bulletproof legacy wheel (based on G25).

The G29 is my first wheel. The pedals are perfectly adequate to me for a first wheel. Plus I'm going to adjust their position when I can get hold of the right Allen key.

@HatMarris - I'd go for the G29 as well, because you get a lot more bang for your buck. The TM wheel only has smoother & stronger FFB to offer, & you'll probably want better pedals plus a shifter which will end up being way out of your price range. And, as @Lord Protector pointed out, the T300 has reliability issues (view the results of this poll). The FFB isn't the greatest in GT Sport either, so there's no need for a super expensive set up anyway imo. I myself have a G29, & it's a great solid entry level wheel. Just remember to set the in-game FFB options in GT Sport to 7/4/10 & you'll be fine.

👍

Thanks people

I was in town earlier so I picked up the G29 plus the shifter (does anyone use this or just stick with the paddles)

Never owned a wheel so quite excited about how if feels.

I’ll probably end up buying a playseat challenge at some point as well. The more expensive chairs look great but my PS4 playing is done on the main TV in the lounge.

@VBR

It will be a few days before I get round to using it and I’m sure I’ll work out what it is then but what is the 7/4/10 you are talking about?

in my opinion shifter is a waste of money
in real cars if you had a choice between paddles and shifter you will always choose paddles
same situation is in GT
+ in GT that clutch isn't anywhere close to work good

Last edited:
In GTS the shifter isn't really useful, but if you invest in Project Cars 2 or Assetto Corsa then you may want to use it, especially on those cars that would traditionally have a shifter.

If it was free then it's worth keeping around just in case.

I got the G29 last week and from limited exposure due to a shocking DIY stand for it, it feels like fun. My GT Omega stand arrived today, so I'll get to try it all properly when I get home tonight.

G29 - good choice.

Make sure it's mounted to something solid. Ether a proper stand or a sturdy desk. If the wheel is wobbling about all over the place while you're using it you wont enjoy it and maybe stop using it.

It'll take awhile to get used to it but have fun. 👍

(It maybe better to start with lower feedback settings and work your way up to what feels right to you)

This is really for anyone but specifically @Tidgney because I just watched your video regarding g29 vs T300

I just wanted to know if, after however much time has passed, your opinions remain the same.

I am limited by budget and only really want to spend around 200 but would stretch to 300 if the differences were worth it. I can get the G29 with pedals and the separate shifter for £189 at the moment and wondered if that made it a better deal than the T300 especially as you point out the stock pedals are pretty grim.

I can’t justify any more expense (I know there are some awesome wheels out there) given my talent (lack of) and other financial priorities.

Really I just want something to help me enjoy the game. I find the controller very awkward for trying to learn manual even with the gears set to the right analog.

Thanks

My opinion is still exactly the same :)! It's kinda why I wait a few months with each wheel because I want to know the full experience! Price for performance the g29 wins hands down, every time. It's a proven technology, and while there can be issues with the g29 there aren't half as many as the T300. The T300 is a better wheel no doubt when it's working, however the price isn't justifiable and in my opinion in terms of wheels if I was to advise anything it would be;

1. g29 good starter wheel, something to use for a number of years. It's especially good for GT Sport, it's been calibrated very well in the game!
  2. If you are then looking to upgrade I'd jump from a g29 to the Fanatec CSL Elite (If you play multiple sims) or the T-GT if only GT Sport. They are big investments and you won't see a noticeable performance gain from investing a lot more (Don't get me wrong, there might be a fraction like 0.010) but it's never worth it. The only reason you pay more is if you want some easier functions, better experience/feel, more immersion. All peripherals seem fairly equal, it's only at the pinnacle you may see 1/2 tenths in it e.g. controller vs wheel vs load cell etc. (At least in GT Sport other games it changes)

Honestly g29 would still be my backup wheel now however just makes sense to me to have my T300 has a backup to my T-GT!

Played GT since day 1 and never bothered with a wheel. But after playing GTS it's finally dawned on me that if I want to compete in sport mode then I definitely need a wheel. My birthday next week so my gift to myself, G29 ordered and due to arrive Wednesday. My mind made up after reading this thread. Thank you.

@HatMarris

Ok now that you've got the wheel there's just a couple of things you should be aware of.

1. You are very probably going to be slower than when using the controller. This is normal and don't give up. With practice you'll get your times back up again, and wonder why you ever thought using a controller was a good idea to do driving.

2. You're going to have to turn the wheel more than you expect - Sometimes way more than you'd expect.

3. Force Feedback is something where less is very often more. Sure put everything up to 11 and do a couple of laps wowing at the level of feedback, but if you really want to feel the nuances then you'll want dial it back somewhat. I use FFB strength at 3 , and FFB sensitivity at 5. This is really a taste thing so experiment a bit, but just remember that high FFB levels will drown out the details on low torque wheels like the G29.

@amaway same goes for you. Do not think you will automatically be faster with a wheel. Most people are faster with the controller. It takes time to practice to become faster. Keep us posted !

Thanks people

I was in town earlier so I picked up the G29 plus the shifter (does anyone use this or just stick with the paddles)

Never owned a wheel so quite excited about how if feels.

I’ll probably end up buying a playseat challenge at some point as well. The more expensive chairs look great but my PS4 playing is done on the main TV in the lounge.
G29+Playseat Challange the best duo for the entry and budget level! Having the same about for a 3 months and what can I tell you. Awesome experience as a first serious diving simulator :)

@amaway same goes for you. Do not think you will automatically be faster with a wheel. Most people are faster with the controller. It takes time to practice to become faster. Keep us posted !

Fully aware of this fact, it will indeed be a learning curve. That's why I will be going back to school so to speak. Plan on doing driving school , mission challenge and circuit experience all over again. And indeed I will keep you posted on my progress. Thank you. :)

@VBR

It will be a few days before I get round to using it and I’m sure I’ll work out what it is then but what is the 7/4/10 you are talking about?

FFB settings. The most important setting is Torque, 4 is the highest it should be set to, any more than that & you will lose detail from the curbs & road surface etc.

Just adding my thanks to all the contributions in this thread. I've ordered the T300 RS GT a week ago, but got word from the supplier this morning that they have a delay, so while deciding what to do I've read this thread and for now G29 it is from a local supplier [with stock].

Upgraded recently from a (broken) T300 Alcantara to a CSL Elite. I should have bought the CSL right away. That would have saved me money, frustration and have better wheel to begin with. Oh sweet hindsight.

Played with the 29 attached to the stand and what a difference, obviously. Just being able to sense the handling balance of the car and adjust it with actual inputs and not a pad really does feel amazing. Seeing the replay and knowing I made that car move in that way will never lose appeal.

Some quick impressions of the cars I tried this morning.

E30 M3 - evidently looser handling, especially at the rear, but definitely displaying the BMW neutral-to-oversteer balance of old.

M4 - Feels more stable more often and power-over is always waiting for a chance to show up, but it is definitely better in your hands than the pad.

Focus ST - feels much improved on the new tyre model. The playful rear end is there at last and it's very much enjoyable on the wheel because of it.

WRX STI
- very composed when driven for lap times, but the diff actually stops you playing with slip angles, which is a nice touch. Feeling it transition from a small slide to a differential-led understeer moment felt good on the wheel, even if it killed any fun.

Overall, as a wheel beginner, I like how much each car differs in feel and I know I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of testing different cars.

Back