Wheel vs Controller

United States
Columbus, Ohio
nog3861
Just curious as to what all you Snails are using to guide the race car, wheel or controller. If wheel, what kind/type do you have and the settings you are using.
I switched to a wheel in January, a Thrustmaster T150. I know there are better ones out there, but this fit the budget. Pretty happy with it, but my results are still so-so.

Using a CSL Elite with these wheel settings. Note: this wheel has oodles of adjustments, so my 10/10 setting in game is actually similar to a 1/5 setting.

Use to have a Thrustmaster T300RS and on GTS my settings were +1 / 3 / 7 for most cars. I would adjust the torque number a little higher (5) for cars which were a little too squirrely to help minimize oversteer on corner exit.

Controller Sensitivity Setting (CSS) - The description for this implies it is only for DS4 controllers, but it affects wheels too. The setting controls the linearity of the steering input and has a setting range of -2 to +7. Best way to see what it does is to use an open wheel car (FT-1500), go on track and come to a stop. Switch to a view where you can watch the front wheels as you turn the steering. Do this from center to lock and lock to lock. A zero setting seems to work well for most cars when using a wheel, where most DS4 users set this to +7. If you are having issues with turn in, play around with this setting.

Using a CSL Elite with these wheel settings. Note: this wheel has oodles of adjustments, so my 10/10 setting in game is actually similar to a 1/5 setting.

Use to have a Thrustmaster T300RS and on GTS my settings were +1 / 3 / 7 for most cars. I would adjust the torque number a little higher (5) for cars which were a little too squirrely to help minimize oversteer on corner exit.

Controller Sensitivity Setting (CSS) - The description for this implies it is only for DS4 controllers, but it affects wheels too. The setting controls the linearity of the steering input and has a setting range of -2 to +7. Best way to see what it does is to use an open wheel car (FT-1500), go on track and come to a stop. Switch to a view where you can watch the front wheels as you turn the steering. Do this from center to lock and lock to lock. A zero setting seems to work well for most cars when using a wheel, where most DS4 users set this to +7. If you are having issues with turn in, play around with this setting.
Good stuff @JamCar0ne. Did not know that about CSS

Used a controller from Gran Turismo 1 through 5. Picked up a G27 and wheel stand pro early 2011. Great wheel and amazing pedals. Always used lower than normal wheel settimgs to get better feel and control. Wheel stand pro morphed into the Frankenstand.

Switched to T300 and the Pro pedals half way through GT6.

Got out of racing for almost a year, very sporadic for sure and ended up selling everything.
You
Started up GT Sport in 2018 with the controller and knew that wasn't going to work for me anymore. Takes years to develop controller skills for me.

Since March I've been using the T300 wheel( great wheel) with the pro pedals. Added a load cell and loved that so much I ordered a set of CSL Elite pedals. For the wheel settings I've settled on 3/7.

Oh yeah, built a version of Inside sim racings Deathmobile with correct racecar ergonomic specs. See file Driver Position file below.

20180307_135845.jpg

20180312_175800.jpg

20180312_175922.jpg

and couldnt be happier with the set up.

@BradESPN dude you need a proper stand. Scary what you would do with a proper set up. I can share some plans for wood rigs if needed.

Attachments

• Driver_Position.pdf
    218 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Used a controller from Gran Turismo 1 through 5. Picked up a G27 and wheel stand pro early 2011. Great wheel and amazing pedals. Always used lower than normal wheel settimgs to get better feel and control. Wheel stand pro morphed into the Frankenstand.

Got out of racing for almost a year, very sporadic for sure and ended up selling everything.
You
Started up GT Sport in 2018 with the controller and knew that wasn't going to work for me anymore. Takes years to develop controller skills for me.

Since March I've been using the T300 wheel( great wheel) with the pro pedals. Added a load cell and loved that so much I ordered a set of CSL Elite pedals. For the wheel settings I've settled on 3/7.

Oh yeah, built a version of Inside sim racingings Deathmobile with correct racecar ergonomic specs. See file Driver Position file below.

View attachment 744708
View attachment 744679
View attachment 744686

@BradESPN dude you need a proper stand. Scary what you would do with a proper set up. I can share some plans for wood rigs if needed.
Wow nice work

You

Oh yeah, built a version of Inside sim racings Deathmobile with correct racecar ergonomic specs. See file Driver Position file below.

View attachment 744708
View attachment 744679
View attachment 744686

Your wife must love it. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::cheers::cheers::cheers:

@stelephant you should seriously look into trying L2 for brake. It will help you immensely because there are many places you don't need to press them 100% and with L2 you can modulate. Next step would be manual with Triangle as shift down and X as shift up. [] is e-brake and O is reverse.

@spidermonkey do you find the pedals at an angle makes a noticeable difference in precision?

Werd. I've been working on my DIY stand for awhile and it's like Oshawa-Joe's but not nearly as efficient. I'm thinking of scrapping what I have and building his from scratch.

Luckily my family room is about 13' x 24'. I mounted large furniture gliding pads under the rig frame and it can easily be moved with 1 hand. It slides completely out of the way and behind sofa when not in use.
nice

I played GT on a controller for many many years and always enjoyed it even though it was not a realistic way to play racing games. I made the BIG JUMP last year and I can concur it does take some time to get used to, even if you have real world racing experience. You're still mixing real world physical reactions with a simulated "window' so although many things do translate, there are still some gaps the brain needs to fill in. You'll get there bud, just keep plugging away and you'll certainly find yourself beating your old controller pace in time. 👍👍

Back