When is a win, not a win?

• Thread starter tooma
  • 9 comments
Scotland
Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
iamtooma
I won the current Seasonal at GVS earlier by 0.003s, confirmed by the replay, and, being awarded a GT6 Trophy for a close win of 0.01s or less, yet, get this - the "win" changed to a 2nd place! Huh!

Has any one else experienced this?

Can anyone explain it?

A handful of months back when I used to frequent the Quick Match events, I was racing the Supercar Battle event at Eiger Nordwand. There was only me, and one other person in this room. There were not one, but two races where I won with an obvious lead. (in the neighborhood of 4 seconds ahead of the other guy) and the game reassigned my placing after the second guy crossed the finish line, and put me in second, with him in first. Not only was this reflected in the results, but also in the amount of prize money I received.

I've stayed away from the Quick Match events for quite some time after that. I wasn't sure if the game was screwing up or if there was some "help" on his side. In any case, online can be weird sometimes.

A handful of months back when I used to frequent the Quick Match events, I was racing the Supercar Battle event at Eiger Nordwand. There was only me, and one other person in this room. There were not one, but two races where I won with an obvious lead. (in the neighborhood of 4 seconds ahead of the other guy) and the game reassigned my placing after the second guy crossed the finish line, and put me in second, with him in first. Not only was this reflected in the results, but also in the amount of prize money I received.

I've stayed away from the Quick Match events for quite some time after that. I wasn't sure if the game was screwing up or if there was some "help" on his side. In any case, online can be weird sometimes.

That is really bonkers too Thrasher. It has just taken me another 6/7 go's to win the same race - lol. Twice I was very deliberately shunted off by the AI cars after getting myself in the lead. Stewards Enquiry I say. In another attempt I came 2nd, with the quickest time of all the races, and I was still about 4.5 s behind the leader. It sure makes it more challenging.

In multiplayer that can be the result of heavy lag.

As for the seasonal event and the 0.003 gap, perhaps both cars finished in the same physics tick?

In multiplayer that can be the result of heavy lag.

As for the seasonal event and the 0.003 gap, perhaps both cars finished in the same physics tick?

Cheers eran. I have never heard of "physics tick", but it sounds like you may be referring to a limitation of the system?

Cheers eran. I have never heard of "physics tick", but it sounds like you may be referring to a limitation of the system?

Typically there are different framerates for physics and graphics. Physics are often much faster to calculate (depending on how complex they are), so you can run a couple of physics frames in the time it takes to draw a single frame. For example you might have the graphics running at 60fps and the physics at 300fps. The faster the physics framerate, the better the accuracy and sometimes also the stability.

A tick is a single physics frame. If both cars crossed the finish line in the same physics frame then the game might not be able to determine which car crossed it first and in such a case the winner will likely be the car whose physics were calculated first.

I won the current Seasonal at GVS earlier by 0.003s, confirmed by the replay, and, being awarded a GT6 Trophy for a close win of 0.01s or less, yet, get this - the "win" changed to a 2nd place! Huh!

Has any one else experienced this?

Can anyone explain it?
I had this one on GT5 in an online race.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-tsukuba-–-june-19.284017/page-4#post-8590384

I was trying a 2 stop strategy on tires that were 23 laps old, holding off a 4 stopping driver.

I spun in the final turn and crossed the line backwards. The game said the other driver won, but when the other stewards went back and looked at the replay and timing, they determined I won according to everything the game was saying.

So I had a win that wasn't a win, but then it was. :lol:

Typically there are different framerates for physics and graphics. Physics are often much faster to calculate (depending on how complex they are), so you can run a couple of physics frames in the time it takes to draw a single frame. For example you might have the graphics running at 60fps and the physics at 300fps. The faster the physics framerate, the better the accuracy and sometimes also the stability.

A tick is a single physics frame. If both cars crossed the finish line in the same physics frame then the game might not be able to determine which car crossed it first and in such a case the winner will likely be the car whose physics were calculated first.

Thanks for the understanding eran. You may be the right man to answer this question, if you care to:- for most of the time I have been racing on-line my pace is slow - so much so, that even running stock cars, someone ahead of me can go off, I pass them, and then they can still easily catch and pass me. It is like I am losing frames from my input.

Recently I made another attempt to fix the problem - checking my upload/down speeds, which are ok I reckon; the ping is18ms at best, and 80 at worst. I had my ISP, Virgin Cable, check and open the relevant ports on my router; I upgraded my connecting cable to 'over the top' Cat 7, and I reckon I have a slight improvement now. Does anything else occur to you which may help further? If you can't be bothered getting into this, that is no problem - and no offence taken.

EDK
I had this one on GT5 in an online race.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp-wrs-online-event-93-the-real-tsukuba-–-june-19.284017/page-4#post-8590384

I was trying a 2 stop strategy on tires that were 23 laps old, holding off a 4 stopping driver.

I spun in the final turn and crossed the line backwards. The game said the other driver won, but when the other stewards went back and looked at the replay and timing, they determined I won according to everything the game was saying.

So I had a win that wasn't a win, but then it was. :lol:

Nice one EDK! You got your win - pity there were no stewards for the seasonal - lol. Weird that I was given the trophy though.

Had this occur the other day in the Beginner Seasonal. Got a second place finish but finished .001 seconds ahead. Not the first time this has happened for me while participating in some 1600 offline and online races.

Chalk it up to a glitch/bug. I gladly took the PSN trophy a while back. :)

Back