When it comes to drifting physics, PD needs to take a page from Codemasters because....

• Thread starter isamu
  • 34 comments
I think everyone slating the drifting in GT7 are missing the point completely.
GT7 is marketed as a driving simulator not a drifting simulator, all the drifting in GT7 is just a few small challenges in the sub menus, a distraction from the racing. It's only there to keep you interested for when you don't feel like racing, much in the same way as scapes & photomode.

Buy the drift BRZ, it drifts welll as it should I suppose.

Drifting is difficult
Thats why it’s difficult in GT7

I used to think the official COD forum was a bit extreme with moaning. This place is unbelievable

” study Grid legends” my god what a statement or is it trolling?

GT7 is marketed as a driving simulator not a drifting simulator, all the drifting in GT7 is just a few small challenges in the sub menus, a distraction from the racing. It's only there to keep you interested for when you don't feel like racing, much in the same way as scapes & photomode.
If GT7 was a real driving simulator, then drifting a car should be just as intuitive as grip driving around a track.

Let's not forget GT7 also features dirt driving prominently both in the pre-release trailers and in the single player world events. There's a whole class of hodge podge rally cars dedicated to it. It's a core aspect of the game.

Are you going to say that the dirt racing in GT7 is anything even close to being a realistic "simulator"?

Drifting is still driving.

So you are asking PD to turn GT7 into an arcade game. No thank you!

I'm not trying to be rude but I think GT7 is not the right game for you. GT7 aims to be realistic, and in real life, driving is not always easy and learning to drift requires a lot of practice. GT7 is not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be realistic, and does it pretty well (although not perfect).

You need to understand that there are basically two types of driving games. Simulators and arcade (and games that fall in between these, but I try to keep this simple).
If you bought GT7, you bought a game that aims to be a simulator. If you buy GRID, you buy arcade. They are totally different kind of driving games and cannot be compared to each other at all. It's like comparing a nonfiction book to a fantasy book.
Simulators aim to be realistic and try to copy and simulate the real life laws of physics as accurately as possible.
Arcade games instead, are more like an artistic vision of what driving could be.

For some people, like me, the realism is equal to fun. The more realistic the driving game is, the more I enjoy playing it. If it feels too difficult for me, I will practice and try to become better at it.
And because I think realism = fun, games such as GRID, NFS, DiRT or Forza Horizon feel super boring to me. Driving in these games simply isn't fun and the way the cars behave make absolutely no sense to me. They behave nothing like cars do in real life.

And funny how you are saying that in GRID you feel like the car does exactly what you want, because that's exactly how I feel when I play GT7.
But when I play GRID, NFS, DiRT or Forza Horizon, I feel like the cars do not do what I want or expect, because the physics in those games simply does not work the way I expect physics to work.
I'm a big gt fanboy for many years. But come on physics are seriously messed up for loads of road cars. Only serious tuning can fix. Out the box many don't replicate real life. No informed person can deny this. For new comers this series will turn them away.FAST!

Last edited:
Back