When PD make tracks for GT7…

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
… why exactly aren’t they able to (relatively) quickly re-make older tracks? I get that making a brand new track from scratch would take a very long time, but look at GT5 and GT6 for example; they still look pretty good by modern standards. Can’t they just reuse those, update them a bit and throw them back out for GT7? Or is it a lot more complex than that?

I get the feeling I may already know the blunt answer to this, but if someone wouldn’t mind explaining why - imagine you’re trying to explain it to grandma! :lol:

I dunno, I was playing GT6 for a bit earlier this evening, and the difference isn’t as stark as the difference between GT2 and GT3 for instance. Maybe some of the textures would want updating, but overall, you’ve got the layout already there, you’ve got all the trackside assets already made. A good chunk of the work already done. Right?

why exactly aren’t they able to (relatively) quickly re-make older tracks? ... if someone wouldn’t mind explaining why - imagine you’re trying to explain it to grandma! :lol:
You can't form the bun and bake it until the dough has risen.

When they make new fake tracks now, they make put them in real world locations, which makes it take longer. If I remember correctly.

They probably do exactly that, but you only need to take a 5 minute look at the tracks in GT7 to see they've essentially been pulled out of the fictional world they came from, and put into a real world location.
Grand Valleys an obvious example of this, but Deep Forest for example, lies in a hybrid fictional-real environment too.

Once you're doing that much work to push the boat out graphically, having a low quality baseline for the circuit doesn't do much for your pace of work.

They probably do exactly that, but you only need to take a 5 minute look at the tracks in GT7 to see they've essentially been pulled out of the fictional world they came from, and put into a real world location.
Grand Valleys an obvious example of this, but Deep Forest for example, lies in a hybrid fictional-real environment too.

Once you're doing that much work to push the boat out graphically, having a low quality baseline for the circuit doesn't do much for your pace of work.

So, a track like Cote d’ Azur wouldn’t have that problem then, would it?

this track never left the PS2, graphically. It was just ported to GT5 and 6, and looked like crap.

They would need to re-scan or remake with creative liberties the buildings, sidewalks, the sea, I see Cote D'azur taking so much work they might just license Monaco.
Always liked the name, even though I believe it literally means “French Riviera”. Gives it a more unique or “special” feel. Like it’s just grander in some way. Imagine this next month:

The following track and layouts have been added:

• Côte d’Azur
  • Côte d’Azur - Electric GP Layout

The following new event has been added to World Circuits:

• Historic Formula Car Masters (🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️)

It would be a monumental amount of work, though. That said, if city tracks will be coming once in a blue moon, it’s not out of the question they go for Monaco, IMO, due to its legacy, and significance, with F1 currently running there.

Last edited:
GT5/GT6 most of the old tracks were basically ported from PS2 , only one that was remade was the Midfield in later GT6

and yes it is a lot more complex nowdays

Last edited:
GT5/GT6 most of the old tracks were basically ported from PS2 , only one that was remade was the Midfield in later GT6

and yes it is a lot more complex nowdays
Apricot Hill, SSR5, High Speed Ring and Autumn Ring were also remade for GT5/6.

It is more complicated because they must think of sport mode when creating a new track. It has to be a track with overtaking opportunities and with a decent location for a pit stop.

I believe it literally means “French Riviera”.
I think some french speaking user could properly translate it,
to me it would literlally mean "At the blue Side", but I know names are different and this is the name of a region, so literlally wouldnt be used anyway :)

Côte could have different meanings but in that case, I strongly believe it means the coast or the shore. So it would be something along Coast of Azur. Similar to Costa Di Amalfi. Azur might refer to the blue color of the Mediterranean Sea.

Last edited:
When they make new fake tracks now, they make put them in real world locations, which makes it take longer. If I remember correctly.
They’ve been doing that since at least GT6, they just didn’t tell us. Cape Ring was located at Cape Sata, Japan, and Apricot Hill was located near Fuji Speedway.

In fact, if you look out to the southwest from turn 1 at Fuji, you can see some sort of structure out there that doesn’t match up to anything on satellite images. It was in GT Sport as well, and I think it’s a reference to Apricot Hill.

In fact, if you look out to the southwest from turn 1 at Fuji, you can see some sort of structure out there that doesn’t match up to anything on satellite images. It was in GT Sport as well, and I think it’s a reference to Apricot Hill.
Do you have any photos of this?

I dunno, I was playing GT6 for a bit earlier this evening, and the difference isn’t as stark as the difference between GT2 and GT3 for instance. Maybe some of the textures would want updating, but overall, you’ve got the layout already there, you’ve got all the trackside assets already made. A good chunk of the work already done. Right?
With each subsequent generation the difference is going to be smaller and smaller, but GT6 tracks mostly look like they're from the PS2, even the few that were updated. The grass is flat, the curves are jagged, the off-track object are laughably low quality. They would look completely out of place in GT7, not to mention PD have made an effort to modify the old track layouts to make them more suited for racing with more overtaking opportunities. It's basically like creating a whole new track and I'd rather have them take a few months for each track instead of re-creating the standard vs premium **itshow we had in the PS3 era.

Yea I had a poke around there when trying to look it up, but didn't see anything in there regarding anything being an Apricot Hill easter egg, or it being in GT Sport.
Sorry about that, I was at work before. It’s this thing, which I’m positive wasn’t there until Sport. BDF27AAE-7C37-4B67-860D-01A981C491B1.jpeg
I guess it could be the golf course or something, but it strikes me as a large structure.

Attachments

• 27835B0A-44A4-4687-8B44-49CBCBDFD437.jpeg
    27835B0A-44A4-4687-8B44-49CBCBDFD437.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 6
  • B76BCBE3-AA45-4FC6-AA4B-47658F3C2EE2.jpeg
    B76BCBE3-AA45-4FC6-AA4B-47658F3C2EE2.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 8
I'd imagine that the main issue is track surface detail. I'd like to know if those older tracks were laser scanned and if so, were they done to the same level of fidelity of the current tracks?

It’s been in an interview or gtplanet update, somewhere. The mentioning of the size of curbs and such track features. All the high flying antics of cars over those curbs, would be a bit much in Sport Mode.
Yeah, it’s been a long time from when I can remember racing against humans in GT6, it’s tough to recall my interactions in the classic layouts of Deep Forest and Trial Mountain. Imagine overtaking or smashing someone into a mountain, on the first lap or last lap in today’s racing. Forget about those antics already happening during the current layouts.

Remodelling/updating classic tracks, may also require PD to reorganise braking zones and overtaking locations. Maybe opening up corners and adjusting camber and tightening & widening stretches of tarmac, are taking PD time to lock in designs.

Maybe at classic tracks, it was harder to pass, than what is capable now, with current physics.

Im sure the devs don't care in the slightest. And I'm probably the only one, but I HATE having to scroll all the way down the tracklist in multiplayer. There needs to be some kind of organisation or ability to add favourites so you can quickly check those track servers once you get kicked from a lobby due to the host leaving.

Back