Which arcade-style racing games you wished to be announced for next-gen?

• Thread starter GTxForza
  • 29 comments
Australia
Australia
The arcade racers I would love to see it announced for next-gen are:

Returning IPs:
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Project Gotham Racing 5
  • New MotorStorm
  • Ridge Racer 8
  • New Sega Rally
  • New Scud Race
  • New Daytona
  • New Blur
  • New Motorhead
  • Burnout 6
  • Midnight Club 5
  • New Shutoko Battle
  • Midtown Madness 4
  • New F-Zero
  • New WipEout
  • New Quantum Redshift
New IP idea:
  • A Gran Turismo/Forza spin-off set in the future, featuring licensed concept cars and having futuristic race tracks to look similar to Top Gear 3000, F-Zero and Wipeout.

Last edited:
Without a doubt, my first candidate would be Project Gotham Racing 5. Even if they took all the key selling points from PGR4 (Kudos system, various locations consisting primarily of city circuits around the world, unique garages and quirky challenges) and repackaged it in a modern game, I would be satisfied! 👍

Other candidates include:
  • A modern take on Split/Second
  • Rallisport Challenge
  • Open-world Gran Turismo game
  • Alternatively, Gran Turismo still on closed tracks but with a festival backdrop, narrative and primary focus on upgradeable road cars
  • A remake of Need For Speed ProStreet (similar theme to the suggestion above)
  • New Midnight Club with multiple open-world maps
  • New Burnout (Ideally following in the footsteps of Takedown and Revenge, not Paradise)
  • New Motorstorm - Not fussed on the format, make it happen!

Last edited:
The arcade racers I would love to see it announced for next-gen are:

Returning IPs:
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Project Gotham Racing 5
  • New MotorStorm
  • Ridge Racer 8
  • New Sega Rally
  • New Scud Race
  • New Daytona
  • Burnout 6
  • Midnight Club 5
  • New Shutoko Battle
  • Midtown Madness 4
  • New F-Zero
  • New WipEout
  • New Quantum Redshift
New IP idea:
  • A Gran Turismo/Forza spin-off set in the future, featuring licensed concept cars and having futuristic race tracks to look similar to Top Gear 3000, F-Zero and Wipeout.
Great idea for a thread.

Sadly I think the golden age of arcade racing games is gone, as they don't work so well under the current games as a service model. The best we can hope for is remasters and compilations.

Burnout 3 Remastered seems like a no-brainer. Personally I would love a Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) remake and an ultimate version of Outrun 2/2006: Coast 2 Coast.

A MMO Shutokou Battle game could be very cool, where you make your own gang and race other gangs and for gang leadership. A nice big map could also include Kaido Battle.

A MMO Shutokou Battle game could be very cool, where you make your own gang and race other gangs and for gang leadership. A nice big map could also include Kaido Battle.

Well, that did exist over 15 years ago. It was basically TXR Zero but online and creating your own teams of course. If only MMOs weren't so expensive to make and operate. If they ever come around again I do hope it includes all of Shutokou and Kaido, even if they're not on the same map. Just all of it in one game would be grand.

Last edited:
Well, that did exist over 15 years ago. It was basically TXR Zero but online and creating your own teams of course. If only MMOs weren't so expensive to make and operate. If they ever come around again I do hope it includes all of Shutokou and Kaido, even if they're not on the same map. Just all of it in one game would be grand.
But it could work under a service model. Maybe a collaboration between Genki and Ivory Towers could make it happen.

Sadly I think the golden age of arcade racing games is gone, as they don't work so well under the current games as a service model. The best we can hope for is remasters and compilations.
Traditional arcade-style racing games are now the purview of indie/smaller developers, like other niches cast aside by the mainstream years ago that have since thrived or at least found a cozy corner on Steam and the Switch. There's no point in looking for a full range of gameplay experiences from major publishers anymore.

I always thought that demand for ultra-realism in racing game spaces and the rise of GTA Online basically removed any need for modern arcade racers.

The Circuit Superstars game looks fun. If that were combined with Car Town, without the waiting and coin collecting thing, thats a game worth developing.

I've got to keep pushing Automodelista to the top of my requests. For what could be done on the old systems, it'd be mind-blowing what could be accomplished tomorrow.

- Definitely, Sony should make open world GT spinoff.
- Crew 2 should get crossplay patch and content creator update
- someone should make classic NFS remake(OpenNFS and eightzerodrive)
- FH in Japan
- Criterion should make modernized Most Wanted 2012

Arcade racers seem more niche than sim racing now a days. If I had to choose one it would be FH5 I guess, if it was on PS I would probably buy it.

Just any would be good. What do we have so far?

GT7
WRC9
Dirt 5

That's seriously it for car racing games announced on PS5. Two rally game PS4 ports and GT7. Very bad.

Last edited:
Coast_2_Coast.jpg

OutRun 3 would be awesome. I wish Ferrari would play ball....

Traditional arcade-style racing games are now the purview of indie/smaller developers, like other niches cast aside by the mainstream years ago that have since thrived or at least found a cozy corner on Steam and the Switch. There's no point in looking for a full range of gameplay experiences from major publishers anymore.
I think PSP was the peak of arcade racers. There were heaps of great developers devoting time and money to arcade racers. Due to the nature of the handheld, they were designed to be fast loading (unlike PS2), easy to pick up in short bursts, easy to read on a small screen (unlike PS3 which went overboard with effects) and bang for your buck (unlike PS4 and mobile games).

Nowadays, they can be played very well on low spec devices, upscaled, with your choice of controller.

Some really good ideas here already, I'll just add the missing ones:

- Driver SF 2 (or another city)
- Official Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune port
- Official Initial D Arcade Stage port

I'm guessing due to the virus people will be quite reluctant to go out and play in arcades, so now would be the perfect time for Namco and Sega to port MT6 and IDAS0 to consoles :P

Last edited:
  • MotorStorm
  • 1nsane. A new reworked next-gen version of 1insane would be the best off-road racing game.

Not with Bamco continuing to swim in gacha (Drift Spirits) and PCARS/SMS publishing money, no.

I thought Drift Spirits got shutdown a few years ago? And with the way PCARS3 has been received, I'm not so sure the franchise has a bright future either.

Anyway, it's always going to be a longshot. At the moment I'm pretty happy making my own Wangan game with mods in AC and playing MT5 on TP (not gonna say anymore because it's a grey area ;)).

I thought Drift Spirits got shutdown a few years ago? And with the way PCARS3 has been received, I'm not so sure the franchise has a bright future either.

Anyway, it's always going to be a longshot. At the moment I'm pretty happy making my own Wangan game with mods in AC and playing MT5 on TP (not gonna say anymore because it's a grey area ;)).

The Asian English DRSP servers were shut down, but the JP server is still here to stay.

New IP idea:

I remember posting something along those lines a while ago. PD was playing around with these futuristic procedurally-generated cars and I thought it would be super cool to get a game based around them.

I even posted this same picture from the news article in the old post I made. Look at how awesome that looks. Having a racing game based around these kinds of cars but with Wipeout-style teams would be so cool.

There have been several indie-game attempts to make something like this, but they've all been hot garbage from what I've seen. We need a reliable studio to put some backbone into a concept like this.

Screen-Shot-2018-09-11-at-12.44.22-AM.png

Aside from that, Wipeout Omega Collection unsurprisingly didn't sell very well because it's still what most would consider a niche genre. But it was also a remake of a decade-old game. So perhaps a fresh entry into the series would boost interest.

Last edited:
I want a new WipEout built from the ground up, with continuity after HD/Fury, Omega Collection and Pulse, continuing the evolution of anti-gravity motorsports.

And also a non-canon WipEout spin-off similar to Gran Turismo, built as a realistic racing sim with motorsports from the pre-war era until the near future with actual, licensed cars (2025-2030's) - referencing 2048's intro, with teams such as AG Systems, F.E.I.S.A.R., Auricom, Qirex, Piranha (Pir-hana) and many more in a realistic racing environment as opposed to the futuristic theme of anti-gravity motorsports.

And not to mention Ridge Racer 8 and hopefully a sequel to Automodellista.

We all know that Forza Horizon 5 is going to be inevitable anyways (just hoping it's set in Japan, or maybe so it's more unique, either Hong Kong or Seoul).

Last edited:
I want a new WipEout built from the ground up, with continuity after HD/Fury, Omega Collection and Pulse, continuing the evolution of anti-gravity motorsports.

And also a non-canon WipEout spin-off similar to Gran Turismo, built as a realistic racing sim with motorsports from the pre-war era until the near future with actual, licensed cars (2025-2030's) - referencing 2048's intro, with teams such as AG Systems, F.E.I.S.A.R., Auricom, Qirex, Piranha (Pir-hana) and many more in a realistic racing environment as opposed to the futuristic theme of anti-gravity motorsports.

And not to mention Ridge Racer 8 and hopefully a sequel to Automodellista.

We all know that Forza Horizon 5 is going to be inevitable anyways (just hoping it's set in Japan, or maybe so it's more unique, either Hong Kong or Seoul).
I would rather have a Formula 1 Generations game that picked one season from every decade from the 60s right up to current F1.

I would rather have a Formula 1 Generations game that picked one season from every decade from the 60s right up to current F1.

The licensing for that is going to be a nightmare. F1 CE had one car from every decade as bonus unlockables, but getting every car, every team and every track for each decade is a long shot. Your best bet are going to be modded games. I know EA F1 99-02 has been modded to include every season since 1950.

The licensing for that is going to be a nightmare. F1 CE had one car from every decade as bonus unlockables, but getting every car, every team and every track for each decade is a long shot. Your best bet are going to be modded games. I know EA F1 99-02 has been modded to include every season since 1950.
I'd be happy with just Ferrari, McLaren, Williams and Lotus, and liveries to represent the rest of the grid. Also I could even do with a reduced calendar if all the big circuits were in it.

Drive club 2!

Genuinely the only arcade racer I've enjoyed last gen was drive club, would take a sequel all day long! Although I know that's impossible but I can still dream.

Back