Which is the greatest rock band of gtplanet.net?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Patrik
  • 23 comments
  • 1,239 views

Wich is the greatest rock band ever?

  • Led Zeppelin

    Votes: 7 17.1%
  • The Beatles

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Pink Floyd

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • The Jimi Hendrix Experience

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Van Halen

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Queen

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • The Eagles

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metallica

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • U2

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bob Marley and the Wailers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • The Police

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Doors

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stone Temple Pilots

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Rush

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Genesis

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Prince and the Revolution

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earth Wind and Fire

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Bee Gees

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Rolling Stones

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • The Beach Boys

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soundgarden

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Who

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steely Dan

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Brown and the JBs

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AC/DC

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Fleetwood Mac

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • The Allman Brothers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZZ Top

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Aerosmith

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cream

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Grateful Dead

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Guns 'N Roses

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Pearl Jam

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Boston

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dire Straits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • King Crimson

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Parliament Funkadelic

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Bon Jovi

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dixie Chicks

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Foreigner

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Bowie

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Talking Heads

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kiss

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black Sabbath

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Beastie Boys

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Nirvana

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    41
  • Poll closed .

Patrik

(Banned)
Messages
2,231
Messages
GTP_Patrik
Here we go!

Took the poll options form another top 50 list (I have never heard of quite many of the bands in there).
 
Last edited:
Whereas being from the US, I've heard of/heard all of those bands! :p

Of course I voted for the ever awesome ZZ Top!
 
Are you kidding how could it not be THE STONES .:sly:

OK then The Rolling Stones.
 
Last edited:
Who really likes kidney stones?


:D
 
I voted Dixie Chicks, but Foreigner is right there.

If I had to pick a Top 5, and at this point I do, it would be:

Dixie Chicks
Foreigner
Bon Jovi
The Beatles
Kiss
Led Zeppelin
 
Just so you know 6=/=5. ;)
 
I went with Van Halen.

Simply put, it was the music I grew up with, and no matter what mood I'm in, Van Halen turns it around in an instant. I'm still a big fan, despite their constant ability to re-form and dismember. Certainly, Diamond Dave is where its at (I've seen Van Hagar perform, not worth the $90 paid)... "Panama" and "Pretty Woman" are probably my two favorite songs of theirs.

But, I mean, c'mon... There are far too many good choices there.

The Beatles is the obvious one as they are quite simply the basis of anything "modern" in R&R. Lead Zepplin was the first to bring in the heavy metal. Pink Floyd remains a favorite because of the musical and visual trip they can take you on ("Keep Talking" as the best example). The Who took everything to a new level... And if anything, the Police get a nod just for taking things in a new direction.

I'd care to argue that this list is missing a few key components...

- The Clash
- The Ramones
- DEVO
- White Zombie/Rob Zombie
- Poison
- Motley Cue
- The Killers
- The White Stripes

...and just because I can...

- Morris Day and the Time
 
Where on earth is other? You mention Van Halen, yet you leave out Cinderella, Tesla, Twisted Sister, & Motley Crue?
 
Yep, a few glaring omissions, Alice Cooper, CCR, The Clash etc.... but there are perhaps too many different types of band in that list for it to make much sense... There's many great bands there that I don't consider "rock" as such, e.g. Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac. I think Rush are as good as it gets in terms of a rock band, but their music is quite a mixture. Yes, Floyd and Genesis have the skill and the creativity, but perhaps not the rock ethos to go with it.

The Who, Queen, Zeppelin and The Stones are all prolific, true rock bands who all deserve a vote or two, but for me the epitome of rock and perhaps the most influential in the genre from the outset would have to be Black Sabbath...
 
...Lead Zepplin...
Funny that you spell it like that, because they were originally called "Lead Zeppelin". However, they soon realized that Americans would miss pronounce the name by saying (leed) Zeppelin. So that's why they changed it to Led.
....The Who, Queen, Zeppelin and The Stones are all prolific, true rock bands who all deserve a vote or two, but for me the epitome of rock and perhaps the most influential in the genre from the outset would have to be Black Sabbath...

If you compare LZ and BS, Led Zeppelin is everything that Black Sabbath accomplished, and a lot more. When Led Zeppelin came out with their first 3 albums, many people compared both bands to no end, but after the fourth album... that all stopped. They brought a whole new meaning to "heavy rock"... which was almost non-existent at the moment.
 
Led Zeppelin , Jimmy Page is the guitar god
 
The Chili Peppers for me. It's a personal thing. Many of their songs you can just feel and hear everything that each member is doing and for me invoke deep emotions and thoughts.They write some of the best songs around.
👍
 
Funny that you spell it like that, because they were originally called "Lead Zeppelin".

Thats 'cause I'm "old school."

YAR!
 
Of the bands listed, I went with Hendrix and the experience, as they were the impetus and inspiration for many, if not most "modern" 3 piece bands.

But really, no SRV and Double Trouble? What were you thinking?:lol:
 
...And no Dreamtheater :(

If I have to vote I'll go with the Floyd
 
Foreigner, eh?

carl.jpg
 
incomplete list.

of those, probably the Beatles
 
1 Vote for the Stones come on thats unreal.:crazy:
 
Who voted for RHCP?
 
you sure the Beastie Boys are rock ???
i thought otherwise
glad t o admit it if im wrong though ;)
 
Back