Which setting for AI level

• Thread starter Pantheons
  • 15 comments
United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Pantheons
Hi
Being quite new to PCars2, ive left the AI level at default (what ever that is), not to be confused with all the driving aids.

I think the AI level is controled with two sliders? could be wrong?
Whatever it was at (50,50 i think) It sort of felt ok. Until i played rallycross, where it is too easy, can win without too much effort.

I would be nice to know if im playing on 'beginner' or easy or realistic, or Weekend racers etc

1. What AI level do you set yours at?

2. Any tips on what the slider values really mean?

3. What values would indicate realistic, as in this is how pro's drive

Any AI level tips?

For me it depends on car / track.

Try to turn it as high as its really difficult to win. When I played pcars 2. I uasely ran at about 90-100 AI.

I often trained on a combination for several days before I was able to beat it. But its very satisfying, when at first it seems impossible. But after some time you finally beat it.

But as I remember it PCars 2 can be very inconsistent. Some combinations are very difficult and others more easy.

You would think, as PCars2 is a sim, the AI levels would mean more. Id like to know what level of AI human im racing, and aspire to race real equivalent top pro race times.

Id have liked to see levels...
Novice Drive
Novice Racer
Weekend hobby Racer
Serious Amateur
Semi Pro
Professional Racer Low
Professional Racer Mid
Professional Racer High

Then i would know what sort of level i'm racing at, and have something to achieve and progress at.
As it is i've no idea how bad i am.

Names to difficulty levels wouldn't mean any more than a number though. And if they aren't any more consistent across tracks/cars/weather conditions then it wouldn't really matter either, since "All Star Pro" in the wet at Snetterton in a GT4 would still be way easier than "Reasonably Competent" in a Formula C at Donington on a dry March afternoon. One combo might have the bots at 90% setting leaderboard world record times(I can confirm this), another might have them a couple seconds slower than the record at 120%(I'm guessing on that one).

It's a bit annoying and takes some time but you will find a level that works more or less for a starting average pace, and then some cars or tracks they'll be better or worse and you have to adjust accordingly. It would always be that way to a point, but it is more variable in PC2 than most of us would like. The only way to really tell where you are at is to compare your times on the leaderboards, which works pretty well on PC since you can sort by cars but not so well on PS3/Xbox when you just have an overall car genre to compare. If you check an internet leaderboard you can sort that and compare yourself to PC users at least, but that's a pain to do and none of the online boards include more than a handful of console times.

Edit: a couple links to leaderboard sites:
http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/
https://pcars.13ms.de/#/times/1740968730
https://projectcalc.org/

Thanks for the great reply.
Those leaderboards help, I think there are leaderboards in the game too arent there?

Also are PC and PS4 lap times exactly comparable?

Thanks for the great reply.
Those leaderboards help, I think there are leaderboards in the game too arent there?

Also are PC and PS4 lap times exactly comparable?

There are in-game leaderboards, it's just that as I said if you are playing on console they can't be filtered to show only your car so you may be comparing yourself to a car capable of being several seconds faster. If you're on PC then the only real advantage to those sites is ease of use and advanced sorting/filtering/stats features.

As far as I know there is no significant difference between PC and console times in TT, it's just a question of which track/car combos have had times set by top players on which platform. If somebody knows of an advantage for a certain platform I'd like to know too.

Just did Mini Countryman on Wildcrest rallycross, i was 95th fastest, lol. Thats a result for me!!
Does anyone know why...
1. No lights on the car so cant race that at night
2. My times dont seem to be kept (personal times) even though they were valid?

At some point you'll find, that slider doesn't impact AI level much with some combos, making it not different, 0 or 79 percent. Above 80 percent things could be mixed too, but expect cars to be fast and ready for everything, like any weather, and other critical track conditions.

If car has no lights, then there is no way to have any. There some cars that doesn't have lights, if I remember correct there must be also a car without lights in Gr. ...5? Or GTO?

Your times will be kept only when you achieve them in Time Trial mode. In equal track conditions, and regulations.

The game technically stores all your legal times, but only TT times go to the leaderboard because those are set in the same conditions for everybody. Practice/Custom/Career times are stored but it only shows it as your potential time in those modes. It might show on a couple loading screens but not all of them? Unfortunately there is no way to check all of the times it has recorded, or your other stats for cars outside your top 3 "favorites."

Just did Mini Countryman on Wildcrest rallycross does anyone know why...
No lights on the car so cant race that at night

Rallycross races are very short and only take place in daytime.

It's a sport with an interesting history - it was invented one wet weekend! British TV couldn't show any horse racing so there was a huge hole in the live sports schedule. A new motorsport with very short - TV friendly races - was invented that weekend - from memory I think it was 1967. Literally it was invented on the spot in front of live TV!

Back to AI - up to level 79 the AI run default setups - beyond that they alter the gearing. I only race default setups online and offline so I normally limit the AI to 79 so we have cars with the same potential top speed. I build up to 79 from (at its most extreme) as low as 15 depending on the car and track and how badly I know it, gradually increasing the field and starting last. The AI are very inconsistent - I find I can win easily in some, but not others so may need to go over 79.

The other slider is for aggression - peoples opinion varies a lot on the level for this - I always keep it at the maximum 100%. Starting at the back stops the AI ramming me at turn one and 100% stops them being so reluctant to overtake.

In terms of speed - the AI varies massively - the fastest guys from my league will sometimes produce lap times better than the AI at 120%, but with some cars and tracks they will be below the 100% time which I observes from practising with AI.

NB you can run the AI very high or low when racing multi-class to give an interesting effect and give you different cars to race against.

Just had some touring car racing on Brands Hatch Indy, because of the BTCC racing next weekend (wanted to know the track well)

I had the AI on 70 and 70, did 5 min practice and 5 min qualy, managed to get pole, just. Won the race.
So set the AI to 85 and 85. managed to get 2nd on pole, and would have won the race had i not put my wheels on the grass near the end and spin it.
Such good fun, loving it.

So this AI setting nonsense, is 85 any good? what sort of level am i racing? So frustrating not knowing the level of opponent i'm racing. How can i Get over that feeling?

Last edited by a moderator:
A little update for anyone whos interested
Did that same race as above but on 100 and 100 AI setting. after quite a few tries, managed to qualify 12th and best finish was 7th but i dont think I could do much better than that.
I didn't do any tuning, should I?
Also im always slow of the line, is there a technique? ive tried all sorts of start styles, and im still slow on the initial launch, especially at AI 100

Last edited by a moderator:
AI is hugely inconsistent between different tracks and cars, mainly because the AIs don't use the full tire-grip-physics model that the player car uses.

1.) Depends on car and track. With Formula Rookie and Ginetta Juniors I had the AI skill somewhere between 90-110 on all tracks. With the SportsCar Lites and Clio Cup I had it around 60 most of the time. I always adjust the 'skill' so I can nearly beat them, and I leave the aggression at 100.

2.) Skill means how fast they drive with no other cars around. Increasing the setting decreases their laptimes but may only make them faster on certain corners, not every corner. Aggression means how aggressive they are with overtaking and defending. If aggression is set low the AI can be 2s faster than you per lap but will not try to overtake unless you leave the door wide open.

3.) Impossible to say because they are so inconsistent, it will be different for every track/car combo. If you want them racing as close to 'pros' as possible for a particular combo, look up a fast human laptime on the leaderboards (with the correct car), tune the AI skill setting until they are matching that time.

AI is hugely inconsistent between different tracks and cars, mainly because the AIs don't use the full tire-grip-physics model that the player car uses.

1.) Depends on car and track. With Formula Rookie and Ginetta Juniors I had the AI skill somewhere between 90-110 on all tracks. With the SportsCar Lites and Clio Cup I had it around 60 most of the time. I always adjust the 'skill' so I can nearly beat them, and I leave the aggression at 100.

2.) Skill means how fast they drive with no other cars around. Increasing the setting decreases their laptimes but may only make them faster on certain corners, not every corner. Aggression means how aggressive they are with overtaking and defending. If aggression is set low the AI can be 2s faster than you per lap but will not try to overtake unless you leave the door wide open.

3.) Impossible to say because they are so inconsistent, it will be different for every track/car combo. If you want them racing as close to 'pros' as possible for a particular combo, look up a fast human laptime on the leaderboards (with the correct car), tune the AI skill setting until they are matching that time.

Thanks for all that.
I think its probably the biggest thing that any next game could improve on, is AI . forget graphics, make AI amazingly realistic and get rid of crap AI slider values.

I like that more games now has slider values.

IMO its a much better system than having like 3 different dificultys or a similar system.

With sliders its posibel to set them so they fit each individual person with much more acuracy.

What I wish was that there was more consistancy. The sliders shouldent havent to be changed and figured out each time we change to a new track or cars.

If for example I can beat the AI at 95 then that should be my setting for pretty much all tracks and cars, and maybe with practise, and better skill I could increase it a bit.

Also I do agre i wish these games would stop to focus so much on what i call bling and other nonsense, and work a lot more on improved AI systems.

I know AI is one if not the hardest part to program, but it seems it is also hugely important, becuase it is by far the mode most people play.

Just look at statistics of games like Gran turismo sport. Its only a very few % of the people who bought it who had ever played online, and of those few % most only did a very few races.

Back