Which TIRES do you use drifting?

• Thread starter GoTham-R
  • 210 comments

Which tires and HP do you use?

• Total voters
Comfort Hard all around. Decent speed and grip if you're tuned right, yet easy to slide around on. Anything else seems too grippy.

The problem is: if I wear comfort HARD tires the front loses grip too easily and I can't control properly the car.

Need to sort out your suspension.
More front camber
Soften the front
Or if its to twichy... Soften the rear

Also... Anti roll bar is important

high settings = slippy
low settings = grippy

lower front = grippier front end during a turn

Obviously over doing it will end up in bad results.
Find your balance.

Also a disgustingly over powered car can result in spinning off all the time.
Power does NOT = better results in drifting.. keep it between 300 and 400 (bhp) for comfort hards i think.

Normally I use comfort hard but if I use more hp or it's a high speed course I go up in tire. Some cars just need grippier tires IMHO, like the Aristo

All depends on power and the speed of the track, as said above me :)

So if I'm using a 200bhp car on Tsukuba, It'll be Comfort Mediums, if I'm using a 700bhp on Fuji it'll be Sports Hards, at least.

I am using sports hard in my primary drift car (2002 Nissan Silvia Spec-R - 450hp)... Sports Hard offers me the best amount of grip and speed...

However, I am still working out the kinks in my new '97 Supra that I built up to 560hp and sports hard cannot handle the power... So I had to go up to sports medium which seems to be perfect for the power...

I feel that comfort tires are too slow for my drifting style except for my lower powered drift cars like the AE86...

Comfort Softs all the way around...I actually run my car pretty tight. I have a feeling a lot of people might have trouble initiating on my setup lol

too much HP doesn't necessarily mean bad drifting, i can burn the tires off sideways in a 800HP car or do it in one with 246HP, as long as you can keep that control it doesn't really matter how fast the wheels are spinning

too much HP doesn't necessarily mean bad drifting, i can burn the tires off sideways in a 800HP car or do it in one with 246HP, as long as you can keep that control it doesn't really matter how fast the wheels are spinning

Right, but the issue is all the beginners grabbing vipers just because they think drifting is just side brake and power over. Starting out on an overpowered car gives you too much of a crutch initiating and teaches you sloppy techniques.

If people really want to learn they need to start on something underpowered and then move up if they decide they want the additional power on tap to expand their technique/style.

I think I drift pretty decently, though I'm certainly not pro level, and I'm not sure if my S13 even has 200hp.

I think id have to agree, i think people should start in underpowered cars too, it teaches skill rather than power. Plus in my opinion its alot more fun, and by under powered i mean 250 hp or less depending on the weight of the car.

I have a fast, high speed entry style. The way my suspension is sorted(little rear negative camber), I benefit most from sport medium up front and sport hard rears. Transitions do happen faster, but I like it quicker..but the stickier fronts allow it.

My FC RX7 and RM'd S15 have approximately 320bhp.

If people really want to learn they need to start on something underpowered and then move up if they decide they want the additional power on tap to expand their technique/style.

Cosigned. It forces the driver to find ways other than just mashing on the gas to drift the line you want.

Even using comfort hard tires means you have to either slow down alot or feather the throttle alot in order to get the grip required to not go off the track.

I have a car that goes around the track absolutely amazing on sports hard tires. Problem being that the tires are gone after a couple laps. I hate having to pit after 5 laps. I'll be trying to tune the beast to use comfort hard tires.

i use comfort hard on most of my cars. I'm using a G25 and try to do a lot of deep angle and linking drifts, so my speeds are a lot slower. I find myself getting in the way of some people when drifting online. I can drift on Comfort Soft, but they wear out very quickly and i don't have the precision to put the car where i want all the time. With Comfort Hard it's easier to make corrections and continue/hold a drift even if you go off your line a little. :)👍 I think with a ds3 you probably want a bit more grip, with the wheel you can really fine tune your inputs, especially the steering.

i use comfort hard on most of my cars. I'm using a G25 and try to do a lot of deep angle and linking drifts, so my speeds are a lot slower. I find myself getting in the way of some people when drifting online. I can drift on Comfort Soft, but they wear out very quickly and i don't have the precision to put the car where i want all the time. With Comfort Hard it's easier to make corrections and continue/hold a drift even if you go off your line a little. :)👍 I think with a ds3 you probably want a bit more grip, with the wheel you can really fine tune your inputs, especially the steering.

Interesting

I only use Comf hards. Even on 800 bhp + cars. For people that say its impossible for wheel drifters, after 3 days i got a very good line all round on tsukuba (with a wheel) with a car that has 700 bhp.

To make it fair, and fun to drift i'd say limit all drift rooms to comf. hard. (I know people disagree, but if no-one disagreed, this thread would have been useless :D )

Comfort hard always. You get amazing angles and they are actually great for tandem drift as well, it allows you to make corrections accordingly and get as close as possible. And as someone mentioned previously whether you have 180hp or 900hp it really doesnt matter.

Need to sort out your suspension.
More front camber
Soften the front
Or if its to twichy... Soften the rear

Also... Anti roll bar is important

high settings = slippy
low settings = grippy

lower front = grippier front end during a turn

Obviously over doing it will end up in bad results.
Find your balance.

Also a disgustingly over powered car can result in spinning off all the time.
Power does NOT = better results in drifting.. keep it between 300 and 400 (bhp) for comfort hards i think.

what about my disgustingly overpowered vette? :)

Back