Whitewall Tires

Stock oil doesn't lose power until 800 miles or so.

Funny, my zero miles Skyline GT-B dropped power through every race in this event. The only thing added aside from rims was sport hard tires. Each race I received more a-spec points because of the HP kept dropping.

Ha ha, interesting! You did an oil change before the race, right?

Nope. The only things I added were a fully customizable Transmission, N1 tires (Bought N2 and N3, but only equipped the N1's) and different rims. I did a couple practice laps and racked up 12 miles before entering the event.

I'm around 600 miles into the event, and there is no power change (well, last I checked) and the car still looks shiny new, and I haven't washed the car since starting.

I guess its "special"

Or a cheating car.

I'd find Vogue Tires mounted "from outside the shop" every so often in the Lexus service drive. :yuck: They just do not belong any any car made after 1970.

Oh dear GOD! So that's who makes them! I see these on Cadillacs and pretty much any other large GM sedan (with requisite faux cloth top) on ugly chrome rims all over northern New Jersey.

Just hideous...money can buy many things, it CANNOT, EVER, BUY TASTE!!!

Well, GT oil starts going back to "normal" oil at around 150 miles.

I use mainly "fresh" cars with no miles/km's on them or 6.2mile 10km specials
and I've noticed that when I do my drag strip tunes with them using
kilometer units the point where the power starts to be affected negatively
by oil is 200 km mark ~125 miles

True, and GT oil starts spoiling around the 150 mile mark, give or take a few miles. So depending on that fact Paragon, you could have seen instant power loss on each race.

Hmmm . . . So the stock oil that is in a "new" car will maintain the cars HP rating longer than if you were to perform an oil change? Interesting. I didn't realize that there was a difference.

The GT-B that I ran did receive an oil change before I ran the event last time. So I guess that would follow suite in what you said.

I know that last night I was at 650 miles when I paused for the evening. (First pit stop 72 laps in on the 3rd race.) I should be able to wrap up the race tonight, and be able to check the HP before starting the final race to see how things are holding up.

And if what is mentioned above holds up, then at the end of the series I should be able to identify a HP decrease since I will be past 850 miles on the clock. This will be interesting if nothing changes in the end.

Well it seems to be that way. Car-less did a great study on it which I debated with him all the way through about how power loss is shown dependent on cars and he showed graph after graph on his test cars. These are for new cars and it's very very detailed for various models, including the Spec-C STi. It shows the differences between stock vs GT oil over the start of the cars life.

I have also tried to apply this to the used car market but not to the same success as him with the new cars as your only options there are either used oil vs GT oil.

Here's the link for the study:
CLICK ME, CLICK ME NOW!!

Well, with used cars, the GT oil becomes effectively normal oil after whenever, then begins to properly degrade much later.

Well, finished up the 1000 miles event this weekend and . . . . .

The car is still registering 152hp and the paint is still shiny. The only thing that I haven't checked was if the chassis needed to be refreshed. It still drove like it did when it was new, but then again, I have never noticed a car that had under 200hp get squirrely with a warped chassis.

Even so, I think that this car can be labeled as a Digital Factory Freak.

...interesting...

I know its waaaaaaaaaaay off topic, but the discussion started here, so I figured I would conclude it here.

But to tie it in . . . I did the entire race on N1 tires (White wall tires)

Yea for me. :)

I also noticed that the C3, like the '64 GTO, also has Redline tires when you switch to N(123) tires.

The '70 Chevelle SS has lettered tires no matter what tires are on it.

I know its waaaaaaaaaaay off topic, but the discussion started here, so I figured I would conclude it here.

But to tie it in . . . I did the entire race on N1 tires (White wall tires)

Yea for me. :)

I also noticed that the C3, like the '64 GTO, also has Redline tires when you switch to N(123) tires.

You did the entire 1000 MIles on N1 tires? :boggled: what kind of competition did you face?

Paragon & Parnelli, if we can get the same wear with the C1 fully worked then we DO have a true PD freak car.

You did the entire 1000 MIles on N1 tires? :boggled: what kind of competition did you face?

Yep. Given the C1's Freakish handling ability, it really wasn't to bad.
The car was stock aside from a Fully Customizable Transmission. Auto to 7, final set to 3.730. Topped out at about 120mph on a long straight. (121 if you shifted right)

The line up was as follows:
'65 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA 1600
'70 Marcos Mini Marcos GT
'68 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe (Type-1)
'66 Honda S800
'65 Fiat 500F

The Alfa was about the only real competition. Here is how he finished.
First race - about 30 seconds behind. Built my lead by only having to pit once for gas.
Second race - Lapped 2 or 3 times. I think he finished 3rd to the Honda.
Third race - Lapped 2 times. Finished 2nd.
Fourth race - About 1:00 behind. Through most of the race he hung in around 10 or 15 seconds behind, then toward the end he gave up and fell way behind.

Scored 87/87/87/87 because of no change in power or setup. The Chassis does need to be refreshed, but I haven't because I didn't notice any drastic changes in its handling during the event.

I wouldn't mind running it again with a better grid now that I know how it handles.
But it would have to be after the 10 or 11 other cars that I would like to take through the event.

Paragon & Parnelli, if we can get the same wear with the C1 fully worked then we DO have a true PD freak car.

I was thinking of testing out one. I still have a white, black and 2 reds in the garage.

I'm around 600 miles into the event, and there is no power change (well, last I checked) and the car still looks shiny new, and I haven't washed the car since starting.

I guess its "special"

Or a cheating car.

Well, finished up the 1000 miles event this weekend and . . . . .

The car is still registering 152hp and the paint is still shiny.

I was thinking of testing out one. I still have a white, black and 2 reds in the garage.

I have an unused Chevrolet Corvette C1 in my garage, with these stats;
152hp, 1309kg, 8.585 PWR.

1309kg / 8.585 PWR = 152.475hp.

After 1000 miles (running stock oil), I'd expect a power loss of about 0.0025%, so you should now have about 152.094hp, and a PWR of around 8.606?

...or it could be like the FGT and never lose power.

Interesting. I'll have to check the P/WR tonight when I get in from work.
I didn't even think to check that.
And since I have some unused C1's I can compair their P/W ratio's to confirm what you figured.

I read through your oil/power thread that mafia_boy posted the link for. Very interesting.

The only thing that I don't recall reading was if there was a "final" point at which the cars power would no longer degrade. Or if there was if it was the same through all the cars.

OK . . .I stand corrected. The P/W ratio was diffrent. 8.608 if I remember right.

So it isn't as freaky as I believed it to be.

Sorry all.

Well, not always.. :D

chevelle1.jpg

wow, i never knew that...i have a 54' corvette....i should put on regular tires to have whitewalls....they look better on the old vette.

Yup, i agree. I'm sure, for instance, some PD employees must have driven a C2 by now, since it's been 12 years since the C2 first appeared in GT1. But less than 2,000 C1-era Corvettes were produced from 1953 to 1954, which makes it unlikely anyone over in Japan ever got behind the wheel of one.
According to some source, Kazunori Yamauchi actually visited Jay Leno's garage in the U.S., mostly getting engine sounds, for e.g. IIRC Mazda 110), and saw the Jay Leno Tank Car (which wikipedia claims is officially the Blastolene Special, although I don't see Jay Leno use that name much in other web searches). Anyway, Kazunori Yamauchi expressed great interest in the car, and the rest, as they say, is history.

So I don't see why the budget wouldn't have allowed for at least viewing and possibly listening to, if not riding in, a C1 Corvette.

How come you didn't?? I find it extremely interesting, since I even went for myself looking for some information of the Tank Car in Wikipedia, and I came (:odd:) across that article.

How come you didn't?? I find it extremely interesting, since I even went for myself looking for some information of the Tank Car in Wikipedia, and I came (:odd:) across that article.

I don't know everything there is to know about every single car in the universe. Do you? I probably don't even know 10% of all there is to know about them. That doesn't mean I don't like learning, though.

Last edited:
OK... so I came across this older thread while doing some various GT4 research on cars having the ability to have white wall tires (or thin red walls in one case below). Never did see a complete list anywhere in my research, so here is my list of cars that it works for using "N" tires...

'68 VW KARMANN GHIA-WHITE WALLS MEDIUM
'64 PONTIAC TEMPEST GTO-RED WALLS VERY THIN (Have to look close)
'67 MERCURY COUGAR XR7-WHITE WALLS THIN
'54 CHEVY CORVETTE-WHITE WALLS VERY LARGE
'63 CHEVY CORVETTE-WHITE WALLS MEDIUM
'62 NISSAN SKYLINE-WHITE WALLS MEDIUM
'65 NISSAN SILVIA-WHITE WALL MEDIUM
'62 MAZDA CAROL 360-WHITE WALLS MEDUIM
'72 HONDA LIFESTEP VAN-WHITE WALLS MEDIUM

Last edited by a moderator:
Back