Who do you think might replace Nelson Piquet Jr

• Thread starter Craig HP
  • 55 comments

Who do you think might replace Nelson Piquet Jr?

• Romain Grosjean (Renault Test Driver and GP2)

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Lucas Di Grassi (Renault Test Driver)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nick Heidfeld (BMW Sauber First Driver)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bruno Senna (GP2 driver)

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Mark Webber (Red Bull Second Driver)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Giedo van der Garde (Renault Driver Development)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nico Hulkenberg (Williams Test Driver/F3 Euroseries)

• Sebastien Buemi (Red Bull Test Driver)

• Ben Hanley (GP2 and Renault Driver Development)

• Sakon Yamamoto (Renault Test Driver)

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other (Post who and your reasons below in fourm)

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lets be brave and face the truth. Nelson Piquet Jr has not had a particually succesful career and this year he is really not doing himself any favours by justifying that statement. Take his Formula One campaign this year in his debut season. It has been far from smooth. He has made many errors in during testing and race weekends, and some of these have even led to clumsy accidents. Such as free practice at Monaco...

So my question is simple. Who do you think will replace him as Renaults second driver if he does not up his act and Renault chooses the sensible option of telling him to "sod off". I would like to think they would give Anthony Davidson a try, after he was unfortuante to lose his drive at Super Aguri due fiancanal difficulties. However, since he has been a test driver for so long before joining a back feilding team, he has never really achieved the results needed to attrect a winning team like Renault. In my view, Romain Grosjean is the most likely choice, as he has proven himself a very capable driver in GP2, on some occasions beating Timo Glock who had raced an F1 car before. Romain also has links with Renault as their test driver at the moment. I think Renaults other test driver Lucas Di Grassi also stands a good chance too.

Bruno is still fighting for the GP2 championship and will contiune to. I don't think any of the current F1 drivers you listed will move.

I don't know who will replace him this year but I reckon Bruno is coming up next year and he may take the Renault place then.

Bruno is still fighting for the GP2 championship and will contiune to. I don't think any of the current F1 drivers you listed will move.

I don't know who will replace him this year but I reckon Bruno is coming up next year and he may take the Renault place then.
Yeah, he has proven himself as a winner twice already in GP2!

Bruno seems to getting it together finally, when he hit that dog last race it was so stupidly unlucky.

He wont go to renault though, it'l be none of the above.

I think it's fair to mention how uncompetitive and difficult the R28 is. It would be unfair to judge Piquet's performance based on other rookies or his teammate, a double world champion, who is struggling with said car. Piquet has had only five races and his performance only underscores how well Alonso is coping with R28. Any other young driver would likely fare the same. After tossing Kovaleinnen, Flavio might think twice, look at the remarkable difference a car swap made for him. Renault have lost their way in car development...

Romain Grosjean is an incredibly talented driver but he has a GP2 title to fight for and he’ll unlikely give that up to drive an uncompetitive F1 car for less than half a season, so I don’t think he will replace Piquet. It will most likely be someone who will just do the rest of the season and move on.

I can see Flavio signing someone to race for the rest of this season, putting them into testing for 2009 if they’re worth keeping and giving them a race-seat for 2010 when Fernando leaves.

Takuma Sato!

From what I understand he is the most likely replacement. I believe there is to be a shoot-out style test for the drive before the end of the year if Piquet doesn’t pick up his pace, and Sato is probably the best driver whose name gets mentioned as likely candidates for the shoot-out test.

I think it's fair to mention how uncompetitive and difficult the R28 is.

Yes, it is a bad car. But unless he picks up his pace and consistency in the next few races do you think he is likely to be the man who can lead Renault’s championship challenge when Alonso leaves?

I would like to think they would give Anthony Davidson a try, after he was unfortuante to lose his drive at Super Aguri due fiancanal difficulties. However, since he has been a test driver for so long before joining a back feilding team, he has never really achieved the results needed to attrect a winning team like Renault.
I'd hardly say Renault is a winning team. They struggled through '07 and they're only marginally better this year. They might have won before, but in Formula One it's there here and now that counts. Yesterday is nothing more than a memory.

And Anthony Davidson never struck me as anything more than solidly unspectacular.

I still think you should give Piquet more time.

I guess the struggle he had at Monaco triggered this thread right? Well, it's one of the hardest tracks you could ever race on in one of the fastest cars on earth, in which he's had very little experience with.

I'm suprised nobody has thought about Nick Hiedfeld. The reason I put his name on the poll options is that there have been rumors that if he carries on getting upstaged by his younger and less expirenced team mate Robert Kubica, he might lose his drive at the BMW Sauber team at the end of this year!

G.T
I guess the struggle he had at Monaco triggered this thread right?

I was thinking more along the lines of him failing to put in a remotely good qualifying session or race so far this year.

I'm suprised nobody has thought about Nick Hiedfeld. The reason I put his name on the poll options is that there have been rumors that if he carries on getting upstaged by his younger and less expirenced team mate Robert Kubica, he might lose his drive at the BMW Sauber team at the end of this year!
Yeah, but if Nelsinho is on the outer, Flav will drop him by the wayside without a moment's hesitation without waiting for the season to run its course. Heidfeld will still be driving for BMW, so it's highly unlikely that BMW will release him jsut so he can jin the competition. Where Piquet Jnr. has been disappointing, as far as I can see, Heidfeld has just had a bad season.

If Senna replaced Piquet at Renault, I'd have to repeat the last 20 years backwards to repair the rift in the time-space continuum.

Although he is on my FF1 team...

I think it's fair to mention how uncompetitive and difficult the R28 is. It would be unfair to judge Piquet's performance based on other rookies or his teammate, a double world champion, who is struggling with said car. Piquet has had only five races and his performance only underscores how well Alonso is coping with R28. Any other young driver would likely fare the same. After tossing Kovaleinnen, Flavio might think twice, look at the remarkable difference a car swap made for him. Renault have lost their way in car development...

Are you kidding? Alonso is a solid mid-pack threat stronger than what his points total currently suggests. Kovalinen is using the same car as Hamilton as is tied for only one spot above Alonso. Piquet sucks and I do not know what connections his father tapped to get him this years seat.

I think R.Schumacher and T.Sato are excellent choices because both have shown speed in their careers when provided with reasonable cars and they can undoubtedly contribute more to car development than a rookie.

I think it's a bit optimistic to be putting bets on who'll replace Nelsinho, Renault havn't said they want him out, and does anyone remember the difficulties Heikki had at Renault last year? Almost exactly the same case. He's finding it difficult to adapt to race conditions and I suppose after testing cars for years with TC that it's difficult for him to race at the limit without it. I think he'll get progressively better and start to fight for points. Just like Heikki.

As for the whole 'What If?' discussion, I'd have to say that Mark Webber would be most likely to get the seat. We all know that his manager is Flavio and Mark's results so far this year have been fairly impressive. However I must say all the votes towards Bruno Senna are hopelessly optimistic. I wouldn't want to rush him into a race seat, groom him through testing and development and then you'd have an ace up your sleeve. He has talent, most definitely, but I'd like to see him do well in GP2 first. Then I'll accept that he is ready for a Formula 1 seat.

Maybe, but I can't see Renault wanting to hire a rookie if he does get replaced or Alonso leaves. Twice now they've had an underwhelming rookie, and while Heikki got better - and I daresay Piquet will too, he just joined at a bad time because of the lack of traction control - more experienced drivers may not want to go near the team. As much as I dislike him, Alonso is a very talented driver and one of the most tactically-savvy in the field, but he hasn't been able to do much with the Renault this season. The team may not have any choice but to hire rookies until they start consistently getting respectable finishes.

The only way he can possibly stay in next year is to score at least one point this year (He'll be lucky if he does). And if he does, the attention is going to shift towards Timo Glock, who has hardly done much better so far.

After tossing Kovaleinnen, Flavio might think twice, look at the remarkable difference a car swap made for him. Renault have lost their way in car development...

Car-swap did nothing - by the end of last season, Heikki was already a fast, accomplished driver. Until Interlagos, he was the only one to finish every single race, he finished on the podium in devilish conditions in a 4th-row car and also outpaced his experienced teammate from halfway through the season. The car swap just gave him a better car, but changed nothing about his pace.

And Renault, like many other teams, could also stop bothering with the car now. 2009 is so radically different - Blake and I discussed this in relation to Force India - that teams outside the top-3 could pack up and start focusing full-time on the next generation of Formula 1 cars. If you're not battling for the championship, wins, podiums or major points, there's no point investing in today's aero. It is indeed suprising how much innovation we have witnessed so far this season, considering 99% of these parts will be illegal come January 2009.

From what I understand he is the most likely replacement. I believe there is to be a shoot-out style test for the drive before the end of the year if Piquet doesn’t pick up his pace, and Sato is probably the best driver whose name gets mentioned as likely candidates for the shoot-out test.

That's what I heard - and that's what I hope.

Nobody seriously considered Heidfeld because, while Kubica is indeed "on fire" this year, Heidfeld is nowhere near terrible - in fact, he is just a tad behind Kubica, pace-wise. No team in their right mind would fire him, because not only does he race consistently, and qualify well (A perfect Q3 streak from Bahrain 2006 to Istanbul 2007 - a record, BTW), it would also be a mistake to let another team have him.

Kovalinen is using the same car as Hamilton as is tied for only one spot above Alonso.

Yes, but Kovalainen had a puncture at Istanbul, through no fault of his own, was forced to start from the pitlane at Monaco, and was ****ed over by the safety-car and pitstops at Melbourne. Considering his bad luck, there's no wonder his tally isn't too high. His pace is "up there", and he outpaced, or matched, Hamilton on quite a few qualifying-sessions, sometimes on heavier fuel-loads.

I think it's a bit optimistic to be putting bets on who'll replace Nelsinho, Renault havn't said they want him out, and does anyone remember the difficulties Heikki had at Renault last year? Almost exactly the same case. He's finding it difficult to adapt to race conditions and I suppose after testing cars for years with TC that it's difficult for him to race at the limit without it. I think he'll get progressively better and start to fight for points. Just like Heikki.

Actually, head Renault engineers have expressed dissatisfaction at his current pace - and Heikki quickly improved to outpace Giancarlo. While I don't expect him to outpace Fernando - with all due respect, he's no Hamilton - he could've at least shown an improvement, like Nakajima and Bourdais show.

As much as I dislike him, Alonso is a very talented driver and one of the most tactically-savvy in the field, but he hasn't been able to do much with the Renault this season.

Renault's problems are beyond what's fixable with driver inputs and developments - it's deeper. The unique nosecone on the R28 provides exceptionally low drag-levels - but also limits downforce (CFD runs by F1Technical users have shown this), a problem further magnified at higher-downforce tracks, where the higher wing-angles force the upper planes of the wing to touch the low nosecone, restricting airflow (probably why Renault need a nose-hole a la Ferrari). On top of that, the actual chassis (the suspension, mainly) isn't very grippy - certainly not like that of the top cars

Renault's problems are beyond what's fixable with driver inputs and developments - it's deeper. The unique nosecone on the R28 provides exceptionally low drag-levels - but also limits downforce (CFD runs by F1Technical users have shown this), a problem further magnified at higher-downforce tracks, where the higher wing-angles force the upper planes of the wing to touch the low nosecone, restricting airflow (probably why Renault need a nose-hole a la Ferrari). On top of that, the actual chassis (the suspension, mainly) isn't very grippy - certainly not like that of the top cars
That's kind of what I was aiming at: Renault are caught up in a bit of a Catch-22. They need an experienced line-up of drivers who can improve the car as it is until such time as Renault's skunk works division swing an upgrade in the direction of the R28. However, given the car's performance so far, they won't be able to retain big-name talent; Alonso is only sticking out the year and seeing what his prospects are for the 2009 season. Renault may be forced to keep taking on rookie drivers who are untested, and if Piquet goes the same way as Kovalainen - or loses his drive - they won't be able to hold onto them. Hence they'll be in a constant state of change, with not capacity for stabilising themselves because experienced drivers may be averse to signing with them, especially if there's other prospects out there; prospects that may not provide a team that is as good as Renault can be. Say for example Barichello's and Alonso's seats are up for grabs next year and Renault is trying to attract someone such as Felipe Massa or Nick Heidfeld. On one hand, you have double-World Champions Renault who have been struggling with the car; but on the other you have the idiot Shuei Nakamoto developing Honda's cars, but with Ross Brawn's presence truly being felt within the team. Honda's RA108 wasn't anything spectacular or radical compared to the other entries for the season with its distint lack of nose-bridge, but Brawn and the team have already made leaps and bounds with it. The only thing that seems consistent with Renault at the moment is their inconsistency. Honda may be seen as the lesser team, but they may be able to reel in drivers Renault were aiming for.

Totally agree with that. I think Piquet is just unlucky to drive a car that is not so much better than last year car, but with no aids as well. But surely he will come back very soon..... :) Also, I think Heikki is just talented and has the pace to match up with the top drivers. Hell, if he was still in Renault, he could give Alonso a run for his money!!! :dopey:

Nick is going nowhere I'm afraid. He is just a valuable asset to BMW and has performed well during the years he was in BMW. He has the experience and the knowledge to build that car to what it is today. Sure Kubica has outperformed him for much of this season, but the gap between them are very little......

The only way he can possibly stay in next year is to score at least one point this year (He'll be lucky if he does). And if he does, the attention is going to shift towards Timo Glock, who has hardly done much better so far.
That reminds me, the Toyota is a much better car than the Renault and at times, has the pace to match the top 3 as well. But both Glock and Trulli really can't get the car up there. Not to say Trulli can't be competitive, but the car needs a driver who could push the car to its limit (i.e. Alonso ;)) While Glock does seem to be lacking in both qualifying and race, can't say he's been a little unlucky as well. Oh well, at least Toyota is getting somewhere......

Totally agree with that. I think Piquet is just unlucky to drive a car that is not so much better than last year car, but with no aids as well. But surely he will come back very soon..... :) Also, I think Heikki is just talented and has the pace to match up with the top drivers. Hell, if he was still in Renault, he could give Alonso a run for his money!!! :dopey:

The car is exactly where it was last year - 4th fastest - and Renaults were never famously easy to drive. The rear-biased weight in previous years (no knowing how it is now with the Bridgestones), and a nervous rear suspension this year. As for no traction-control, well, others are stuck up that same creek.

Nick is going nowhere I'm afraid. He is just a valuable asset to BMW and has performed well during the years he was in BMW. He has the experience and the knowledge to build that car to what it is today. Sure Kubica has outperformed him for much of this season, but the gap between them are very little......

Nick is suffering from the same problems Robert did last season - getting heat into the front tyres. Kimi suffers from it as well, while Felipe doesn't. It's a matter of driving-style - smooth drivers will have troubles heating up the tyres - and also with ballast-placement. The more front-heavy a car is, the better it works in a short-run, but the harder it wears the tyres over a longer run.

That reminds me, the Toyota is a much better car than the Renault and at times, has the pace to match the top 3 as well. But both Glock and Trulli really can't get the car up there. Not to say Trulli can't be competitive, but the car needs a driver who could push the car to its limit (i.e. Alonso ;)) While Glock does seem to be lacking in both qualifying and race, can't say he's been a little unlucky as well. Oh well, at least Toyota is getting somewhere......

Toyota is staying where it is because of car-restrictions. As are most teams lately - there's not much time to be found which the other teams don't find as well. However, Renault of all things appear to be the improving ones - from barely-Q3 in the opening rounds, Alonso easily reached Q3 in the last three rounds, and the car appears 4th-fastest (Piquet is no way to judge the speed). The Toyota appears easier to drive, but the Renault is faster.

As for Trulli, I don't think Alonso, Kimi or any other driver for that matter would be more than a tenth or two faster. The problem is the car, not the drivers.

I think it's could also just be a case of Nick having a bad season, which happens sometimes. Kubica hasn't been in the sport nearly as long, so he's adapted to the lack of traction control systems muh better than Heidfeld.

Nick isn’t as comfortable in the car as Robert, but ultimately I think Robert is the quicker driver anyway.

What d

o you mean? Before Nelson Piquet Jr raced an F1 car without TC he never actually tested one much with TC as is my understanding. Also, not one junior formula allows TC.

I feel that my preseason character assassination of Piquet Jr has been thoroughly borne out by his performances. I never really felt that he was anything special, and he's showing it now. Whilst Alonso has knuckled down and started to improve himself and the car (and is generating results because of this), Piquet looks at times out of sorts, scared, and just plain slow. You automatically know which of the Renaults it is that's pointing the wrong way on the opening lap, and when Alonso hit the wall at Monaco it took me some time to believe the caption saying it was not Piquet. Frankly, he's a waste of an F1 seat.

If it comes to a mid-season replacement, who is available? Sakon Yamamoto is the only one really, and that would be like jumping out of the frying pan, into the fire. At the end of the season, you can choose from the likes of Di Grassi, Grosjean, Senna etc, but only once their GP2 commitments are finished. They all know that there's more to life than a temporary run in an F1 seat, and that they'd be better served trying to walk away from '08 with a GP2 championship in their pockets.

I'm also musing about the attractiveness of Renault for a rookie. It has to be the absolute worst team in which to run your first F1 races. The management are so quick to blame their drivers when things are not going well. It doesn't surprise me at all that Alonso - who is, let's face it, almost bone-headed in his lack of consideration for the feelings of others - is the only person in the last 10 years to have gone well at the team.

Williams has a reputation for being tough on its drivers, but at least it doesn't start mouthing off to the press about how badly a rookie is performing after only the first race. Look at how they've nurtured Button, Rosberg and now Nakajima! I've been stunned by the lack of accident damage from Kazuki.

Back