Who has beat mission 34 with a DS2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter magik10
  • 42 comments
  • 4,064 views
Messages
5
For those of you who have played GT3, you'll notice that the response and sens. with the DS2 is much worse than with GT3. Basically, you're being streered heavily towards buying a DF2 Wheel to adequately compete.

I've beat Mission 1-33 and got Silver/Gold on all the License tests but mission 34, coupled with the SLR is proving very difficult with the DS2. Thus I'm curious who's actually beat it that way?
 
I haven't beaten it, but very close. I don't have much handling problem with it, but I have a lot of problem with the Formula car when it's at high speed. I am also feeling being pushed to buy a DFP or DF.
 
I have'nt beat yet either, and I have the DFP. The closest I have gotten is 14 seconds. I got sick of waiting the 2 1/2 mins between attempts and turned it off after an hour of trying. And trust me, the DFP is awesome! I love it. And it's a blast around the ring, with all the bumps and stuff. It's a good workout!
 
I didn't need to get to mission 34 to feel pushed into buying a DFP. I felt that way the first time I tried to accellerate from a stop. Trying to modulate the throttle with the analog button. :banghead:

I tried and tried and gave up, came back a few hours later and got it on the 2nd attempt. Got lucky I guess.
 
I am close. oooh so close, and I know it. I took a 5 seconds penalty and still finished within 8 seconds. yes, i am using the DS2 but I think I can do it. If i don't i am throwing my ps2 off the balcony!
 
I got it yesterday. It took me about 2 maybe 3 hours.
 
Is GT4 really that bad with a DS controller? Oh man now the game is going to suck. I cannot afford a DFP, I only have a normal DF. Picked it up brand new for $90 Australian.
 
eastley
Is GT4 really that bad with a DS controller? Oh man now the game is going to suck. I cannot afford a DFP, I only have a normal DF. Picked it up brand new for $90 Australian.

It's fine as long as you use the right analog stick for braking & control. People who are using the X button are doomed. To be honest, I didn't know you could even use the X before reading this forum.

I can even left-foot brake with the DS in rally.
 
Maturin
It's fine as long as you use the right analog stick for braking & control. People who are using the X button are doomed. To be honest, I didn't know you could even use the X before reading this forum.

I can even left-foot brake with the DS in rally.

That sucks, PD did that in purpose. I can never afford a DFP but I did here that a normal DF will do just the same job. Such as laps times are the same etc. Is that True?
 
What exactly is the problem with the buttons on the DS2? I can control the throttle easily with the buttons. I actually use square for throttle and X for brake since I'm feathering the gas a lot more than the brake.

I have the DFP and I use the DS2 for license tests because it's a lot easier for me. You can go from full-throttle to full-brake to full-throttle faster with the DS2 than with anything, and the buttons are analog and it's not that hard to push them part-way down.
 
I just tried switching my controllers and modulating throttle and brake are a lot easier with my second controller. I guess I've worn out the springs in the switches in my primary controller, the buttons on the other one are stiffer, much easier to just push part way, especially the throttle button.

I've tried using the right stick for throttle brake and I just can't get used to it. I wish I could, I can see how it would be a lot better, but I just end up trying to steer with both. :dunce:
 
Maturin
I can even left-foot brake with the DS in rally.
What button(s) do you use to do this? It's something that's holding me back a little...
 
Maturin
It's fine as long as you use the right analog stick for braking & control. People who are using the X button are doomed. To be honest, I didn't know you could even use the X before reading this forum.

I can even left-foot brake with the DS in rally.

I was gonna say the same thing. I dont' have GT4 yet (Hoping it'll arrive today) but with GT3 & prologue I've found driving with both analog sticks much easier than using the x button
 
When I first started GT3, I was used to using a wheel on computer games. I was having a hard time adjusting to the two sticks AND road courses (nascar background), but my brother in law told me to "stick" with it. I took his advise on that and took my own advise and quit trying to learn to drive in 1000+ hp cars (mainly the Viper and Skyline). I took his Miata out to the Endurance race and I've been fine ever since. Several friends have came over bragging about how great the are, then when they got in the car they switch to the chase view and use the buttons. None of them have even been competitive, although I think they just have high opinions of their gaming abilities until they come here. I've used the buttons and I can see someone with a lot of practice using them running close to someone with the sticks, but not in the chase view. You just can't react as fast when you're riding behind the car instead of on the bumper.
 
It's not too hard to left foot brake with the DS2 by simply resting your thumb across the X and square buttons. I was straight away close to my old laptimes using this method, but it would take a fair bit of practice to really get it right.
 
Catawba Warrior
I've used the buttons and I can see someone with a lot of practice using them running close to someone with the sticks, but not in the chase view. You just can't react as fast when you're riding behind the car instead of on the bumper.

If you can't react as fast in chase view, why would you use it? Most people don't use it (especially with the new hood view in GT4), and I personally think it sucks, but I don't see how your view affects your reaction time.

Also, how does this relate to using the sticks vs. using the buttons? Are you implying that using the chase view is a disadvantage, using the buttons is also a disadvantage, but you're not in real trouble unless you're using the chase view and using the sticks?

It just doesn't make sense. I can understand people saying they have more precise control with the sticks, but certainly not better reaction time. With the sticks you are moving your thumb laterally and you have to move much farther to apply to apply full throttle. With the button you are squeezing a button that only travels a few millimeters. Obviously if reaction time is your biggest concern you can react faster with the buttons.
 
The X button is not a disadvantage. That's what I used with the d-pad and my controller is worn out.
 
I can even left-foot brake with the DS in rally.
dJomp
What button(s) do you use to do this? It's something that's holding me back a little...

I don't have GT4 yet, but this is what I did in GT3 to beat the Complex String Time Trial with my DS2.

I set the right analog stick push forward to control the gas. I set R1 for brake. I forget what the default action for R1 is but I never used it so no loss.

With the controller set up this way I can already be on the brake as my thumb releases the throttle. I don't have to move my thumb to the front of the stick in order to pull it back and my thumb doesn't slide around as much. I can even dab the brakes without releasing the throttle in order to transfer some weight to the front wheels when entering a corner.

I don't think R1 is pressure sensitive so I can't control the brake pressure, but I find that I'm always hard on the brakes anyway.
 
I have always used the PS2 controler and default settings never had a problem I guess I'll find out when I get to mission 34?!?!?!
 
BadBatsuMaru
If you can't react as fast in chase view, why would you use it? Most people don't use it (especially with the new hood view in GT4), and I personally think it sucks, but I don't see how your view affects your reaction time.

Also, how does this relate to using the sticks vs. using the buttons? Are you implying that using the chase view is a disadvantage, using the buttons is also a disadvantage, but you're not in real trouble unless you're using the chase view and using the sticks?

It just doesn't make sense. I can understand people saying they have more precise control with the sticks, but certainly not better reaction time. With the sticks you are moving your thumb laterally and you have to move much farther to apply to apply full throttle. With the button you are squeezing a button that only travels a few millimeters. Obviously if reaction time is your biggest concern you can react faster with the buttons.

Indeed. If chase view and X-button mashing is so bad, why am I banned from starting any higher than 6th at the predominantly-wheel-usered UKGTP meetings?
 
I have beaten it by approx. .8sec with the button setup, ie. standard controller setup. Key is take every turn as close to perfect as possible, throttle control is essential. Do not always use full braking, and make sure u have the right car balance, or weight transfer. That matters a lot since this is a heavy B!TCH :D. Its crazy fun, and the prize is well worth it.
 
E30 Evo Sport
I have beaten it by approx. .8sec with the button setup, ie. standard controller setup. Key is take every turn as close to perfect as possible, throttle control is essential. Do not always use full braking, and make sure u have the right car balance, or weight transfer. That matters a lot since this is a heavy B!TCH :D. Its crazy fun, and the prize is well worth it.


Thanks for the vote of confidence :) I'll give it a shot this weekend. Maybe I'll buy that car, practice for a while and then race. Once I get 25% and get the F1 car, I'm done with this game. It's a bit repetitive. Is there a flash file out there that has all the tracks and cars unlocked like in GT3?
 
I use the cross and X button. My right thumb has becoming very sensitive with it, cuz I can actually loose the throttle a little like half way, you know you need it when you drive those LMP cars. lol but yeah, i think i am in the market for a DF or a DFP

On my first few tries on mission 34, I was 40 seconds behind, I felt like hopeless. lol, but now I am not that far behind.
 
The closest I've come is 4 seconds in 2nd place. Lost count how many times I've done it.
 
firstrotary
I use the cross and X button.

You've got FOUR buttons, man. You don't have to use the same one for everything.
 
I use the buttons for accerate and brake, i have no trouble what so ever with throttle and braking, i do however have trouble with turning with a DS2, the wheels turn to sharp all the time and its hard to make fine adjustments with the toggle.
 
Back