Who Still Plays NFS: Underground 1?

• Thread starter JakeMR2
  • 35 comments
2KQZC6I.png

From my last playthrough.
That Lan Evo looks GOOD

rubber banding AI, especially 7 laps at Terminal Reverse
The AI's top speed is affected by the top speed of the player's car. A strategy to exploit this is to use the MX5 with stock gearing (and no unique transmission), but with the rest of the upgrades. This reduces the top speed of the MX5, which in turn slows down the AI. The RX7 is the fastest car in the game, but even with stock gearing, it's top speed is too high for this exploit to work.

Been a while since this thread saw any activity again, but I am going to bring it back since I have something to share.

So Underground 1 was a game my dad got on the PS2 way back on March 21st, 2006 according to the receipt, only a few months after we got our PS2 along with GT4, NFSUG2, and Ford Racing 3. I played Underground for a brief time around mid-2006 and generally recall being pretty happy with it as a game. However, after a week or so, possibly a few weeks, I ended up abandoning it simply because I was knee-deep into GT4 and Underground 2 since I had just gotten them for Christmas and would much rather play them instead. That said, Underground 1 just came at a bad time for me and ended up being overshadowed by those games as a result and ultimately overlooked for many years. Apart from going into the game a handful of times to look at things like the tracklist and test it on emulation, I hadn't done any races or spent any quality time playing the game since.

That was, until last night I decided to finally go back to it again for the first time since mid-2006 and finish what I started when I was 12. I am not entirely sure why I didn't do it sooner other than the fact I hadn't been in the right mood and was too focused on other games. I do know one thing though, SestoScudo had shared this video in another thread and that was what sparked me to finally come back to this game after so long.

It was quite a trip looking at the cars I had made when I was 12 and just seeing what all I had done during the brief time I played it back then. I actually don't remember much of them anymore beyond a few small things, but it was nice to see them once again. As for the racing, I was a little pessimistic about how I would feel about it because of what I had heard about its rubberbanding, but it actually was a lot more fun than I anticipated. I am still a little concerned about how much harder the game gets near the end, but so far so good!

That said, it's good to be back and I look forward to seeing what this game had to offer and what all I had missed out on over the years! :) If I feel like it, I may start an entirely new save game once I am done just to get the full experience since it's been many years since I had done so.

Last edited:
I have also been playing both NFS UG1 and Juiced.

All I can say is both have their pros and cons but NFS UG1 is just much more superior especially handling.

Juiced has a very good car list and very good customisation but the game has had me rage quit so many times in the past now I tried it again still the same. The game more so tries many things new at the same time makes a lot of people get bankrupt. Juicied car list is really varied lots of variety I mean its got Jdm, European and American cars. Even the Jdms you get Subaru wrx 22b, honda nsx, honda crx, nissan 300zx, toyota celica 6th gen.

NFS UG1 is just good old fun it also has its fustrating moments but Juiced is even more fustrating.

I can see why most people prefered playing NFS and Midnight club for their street racing fix. Juiced is also unique in its own way but if you want to play juiced just to have fun you are going to be disappointed.

Last edited:
NFS UG1 is just good old fun it also has its fustrating moments
It certainly does, those drag races are where I struggle the most, but when it's not frustrating, the game is fun. (so far anyhow)
if you want to play juiced just to have fun you are going to be disappointed.
Sounds like it's not for me then, especially since you said it was more frustrating.

Back