Why do people still like and follow F1 so much?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 138 comments
You said that F1 goes to tracks that aren't good for racing... They are F1 tracks though...

I am referring mainly to the most recent Tilkedromes, the tracks like Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Valencia. Turkey, perhaps the best recent track, ironically was the one that got axed. Granted the cars have not helped either in years though.

Because people don't know or less so forget that F1 actually has an application purpose just like WEC or Moto GP does for bikes, and that is experimentation and R&D for the car manufacturing industry but other industries as well that sponsor these cars. Also as PM said these aren't hybrid cars, do you know what a hybrid is compared to these and WEC? F1 has always been about small engines and has always had innovation that becomes road technology...also how will they lose to WEC? They're different animals that are only compared due to being both highly experimental and top tier.
People like to whinge that the FIA actively discourage creativity, like when they banned Lotus' Reactive Ride Height system. But the 2014 engines represent a massive technical and engineering challenge. We now have two different energy recovery systems, plus the need to get the same performance with a third less fuel. And the cars are still expected to go even faster than last year. I have been working on the F1 in Schools programme at one of the schools I have been teaching at, trying to explain Formula 1 to teenagers who don't really understand what Formula 1 is, but the thing that I have noticed is the way they are immediately attracted to the engineering side of things.

People like to whinge that the FIA actively discourage creativity, like when they banned Lotus' Reactive Ride Height system. But the 2014 engines represent a massive technical and engineering challenge. We now have two different energy recovery systems, plus the need to get the same performance with a third less fuel. And the cars are still expected to go even faster than last year. I have been working on the F1 in Schools programme at one of the schools I have been teaching at, trying to explain Formula 1 to teenagers who don't really understand what Formula 1 is, but the thing that I have noticed is the way they are immediately attracted to the engineering side of things.

Trust me it is a big discussion point that is constantly talked about in the SAE section I'm in, but I feel people should be able to respect the engineering that goes into this and WEC without being one or studying to be one. Rather they get caught up the the almost trvial aspects and forget what it is all about to begin with.

Also it's cool that your teaching younger generations about F1 👍

@Furinkazen Don't forget that Sepang was also designed by Tilke.
And Singapore was not designed by Tilke. He penned the original design, which was extensively modified by an American consulting agency. Tilke's original version ran clockwise, and was entirely self-contained within the streets of Singapore. The consultants added the purpose-built section, added the chicanes along the waterfront (which was Tilke's original pit area) and ran it anti-clockwise, necessitating the Singapore Sling.

Energy recovery is not hybrid power.

The entire point of the new engines is to develop cutting-edge technology. Kinetic and waste heat energy recovery systems are more effective and more efficient that hybrid systems. Toto Wolff reckons the cars will be hitting 370km/h at Monza, all while using a third less fuel.

LMSCorvetteGT2
You're assessment is almost on a trolling level that's how asinine you've come across om the matter. They weren't that quiet and I watched both practices and winter testing footage as well, so I'm well aware of the sound over the video feed. There is more character to the current engines than those before that couldn't be told apart. Even teams with the same engine sound different (e.g Mclaren and Mercedes). The engines sound slightly less noisy than their turbo era predecessors, and if you go and listen to the 1.5t vs 1.6t you'll see the sound isn't any different other than volume of it.

Because people don't know or less so forget that F1 actually has an application purpose just like WEC or Moto GP does for bikes, and that is experimentation and R&D for the car manufacturing industry but other industries as well that sponsor these cars. Also as PM said these aren't hybrid cars, do you know what a hybrid is compared to these and WEC? F1 has always been about small engines and has always had innovation that becomes road technology...also how will they lose to WEC? They're different animals that are only compared due to being both highly experimental and top tier.

No it wont, it didn't before so why would it now?

Just wanted to let you know I read your replies. I had a long post typed up, but decided it isnt worth it. If you believe I am so wrong then I'll just leave it at that. No use in me continuing.

People make so much fuss about the noise, about the tyres, about fuel consumption and a dozen other trivial and petty things that I can only conclude that the fans are only happy when they have something to complain about.
"But the gimmicks are ruining the sport!!!!!1!!!one!!!!"

Did I really just read Valencia called a great track? :odd: :ill:
Yes you did times x2!! cough*22 turns*cough,. The only street course better than Valencia is Singapore but that's helped out by them doing 22 turns again but under artificial light'

Funny thing is I look forward to these tracks, but Canada & Shanghai I like because they are Lewis Hamilton owed tracks and that's my favorite driver in F1 so,....
Same here but I still find the tracks god awful even if my favorite driver for the past several users wins on them quite a bit. The track that enjoy seeing him win at is Hungaroring, now that's a track even when he doesn't win

I like all the Asia F1 tracks, the European ones are OK at best (except for a few good ones), The American ones are sorta, one good and one bad situation and Australia should've kept Adelaide (Albert Park is good but I prefer Adelaide).

Yes you did times x2!! cough*22 turns*cough,. The only street course better than Valencia is Singapore but that's helped out by them doing 22 turns again but under artificial light'

Straights followed by hard, slow corners are not very interesting to watch or drive on.

Monaco is superior to any other street course on the F1 calendar.

Straights followed by hard, slow corners are not very interesting to watch or drive on.

Monaco is superior to any other street course on the F1 calendar.

Monaco is historically very significant, but as an actual race I always find it pretty dull. Unless people have accidents it's very hard for much to happen around there because it's so damn tight. It's one of the races I'd most like to attend, but not because I think I'd see spectacular racing.

As far as the racing goes, I'd say that Melbourne is probably the street circuit on the calendar that produces the best (trying not to be biased too much ;)). It's a bit chicane-ey still, but they all are, really.

Back