Why do you guys like the AE86 so much??

• Thread starter SiRDelSol
  • 65 comments
'Cause I have one.

Mine is actually a crappy ae85 and I'm prolly gonna get another ae86 soon 'cause I don't feel like spending money to get an lsd, brakes, engine, etc. (i got the ae85 for $300) To be honest, its not a looker and its not a car for most people (i recommend having another car as a daily driver.) You probably won't find one for cheap that's in good condition so its either spending loads of money just fixing it up (I spent well over 1k just getting the ae85 to decent drivability) or buying a well loved one which'll run you way over 5k (at least) that most people will point and laugh at u for spending that much money on a car that probably runs 0-60s in 8-9 seconds.

Basically, if you're not willing to spend the time to get to know cars and work on it urself, and if ur lazy, the corolla is not a car for u. Ur much better off buying a newer 240sx. The Corolla is more a labor of love than anything rational.

BTW, right now I'm just hoping to God that someone will develop a engine transplant kit for putting the Renisis into the Corolla. My God I think that would be the hottest engine transplant ever. :)

Hey, your working for toyota in Japan?? Thats pretty cool man. I am starting an internship this fall in Michigan with them. What are you doing in Tokyo for Toyota? Is it with the one company that they work together with for their trucks now? I spent a year in Yokohama and I had a friend who would come to work for Toyota for a few weeks at a time. Usually he went to Nagoya, but once he came into tokyo for a few weeks for the truck division...

Hey, your working for toyota in Japan?? Thats pretty cool man. I am starting an internship this fall in Michigan with them. What are you doing in Tokyo for Toyota? Is it with the one company that they work together with for their trucks now? I spent a year in Yokohama and I had a friend who would come to work for Toyota for a few weeks at a time. Usually he went to Nagoya, but once he came into tokyo for a few weeks for the truck division...

I don't work on the trucks (no diesel mechanic's licsence...) at Toyota. I mainly work on all cars. I did work for TRD with the 2000GT (SW20) and 3000GT (JZA80). Nothing crazy, because I wasn't that good when they came out. My dealership sold the last Supra made. I did some of the work on that specific car, but once again, nothing crazy. The best advantage of working here is that I can get parts for basically nothing. I got a complete Formula Atlantic 4A-G which is a very expensive engine for about 800,000¥. My dad has been getting better deals than me, and he doesn't even work... but I won't get into detail on what he drives... Right now the dealership I work at is finished, but the garages aren't finished... so I have about a week left before I head out to work, which is why I'm talking on a forum. Do you work for Yokohama?

-Tom

One more thing, i don't think anyone mentioned. No one makes a cheep, light, RWD car anymore. At least nothing available in North America. The Only FR cars now are Mecedes, BMW, nissan Z, S2000, and a bunch of others. But you get the picture. These car's arnt cheep. And now that the 86 has become so popular they are pretty expensive when you find them.
3000-4000 for a 20 year old car? well most of the ones i have seen are in pretty good condition so it might be worth it, but still. I wonder how much of the market to jump at a cheep low powered light RWD car? something in the Civic, Neon price range.

yeah your right... i dunno y i thought it was fr... oh well...

that proves your point even more...

american cars you ahve left out... mustang, camaro, firebird, corvette are all fr...

I bought my 86 for $1700 with no body damage, and a freshly swapped redtop engine (13 extra horsepower) that had about 40,000 miles on it. The whole car is in great shape. You can find them cheap, just not at a moment's notice.

All I gotta say is if I ever got a AE86, which I doubt I will. But if I did, i'd deffinatley put a CA18DET in there as my first choice, second choice would be a SR22DET.

peeka boo

Attachments

• rob_1.jpg
    rob_1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 90
SR20DET in the AE86 is a great swap, but I think that the cars should have an engine made from within the company. I've done work on several 1JZ/2JZ-GTE's in AE86's. The RX-7 ultimate swap is a 20B. The Civic swap is I think, the B18C5 (great engine... just FWD). The best overall swap for the AE86 is the 3S-GTE though. Light, has power, and it looks awesome.

-Tom

C&Y Performance in Japan put a 2JZ Single Turbo into a Trueno. They are aiming at 9.5s down the 1/4 mile on street tyres.

Hoo baby!

I forgot to add, they are using a Trust T88H 34D turbo, and the car is pushing close to 950HP. They're main problem is traction, they actually have steel plates, a bag of blue metal, and loads of wheel weights stuck in the back above the rear wheels.

Once they are happy with the times on street tyres, they are going to tub the car, and run it on slicks.

Originally posted by bengee
yeah your right... i dunno y i thought it was fr... oh well...

that proves your point even more...

american cars you ahve left out... mustang, camaro, firebird, corvette are all fr...

Yes, I did remember the American cars I just didn't feel like writing them down. But yeah the mustang is not too expensive but it's not light and my impression of the base model is not so hot handling wise. I wonder if people would buy a 140hp RWD car, and I guess there would be a sport model as well, at about 200HP to compete with the RSX-s and, Sentra SE-R, Neon RT.

The more I think about it the more complicated it gets. Since all the good stuff would go into the sport model which would end up costing 30k CAD$. The base would probably not have much in the handling department. It probably would not be worth it if you could just get the sport model for a few grand more. And I doubt the general population would jump at the FR idea. Hey Cudaman do you still have that link for the new “86” that you invented? At least, I think it was you.

Perg, $1700 sounds like a great deal. Up here in Montreal 86's are almost non-existant. No one seems to like FR in the winter. I love it though, I had an 87 Toyota Cresida or was it 86?. I had the absolute best time in the snow and rain. lol is was quite the site to see me trying to drift a half rusted fat POS with an auto transmission in the rain. Yup, it was pretty stupid.

I have seen maybe 2 or 3, actual FR corrola GT-S's the but I am starting to see more, it seems like the GT-S is becoming more popular, even the FF one, now that more people have seen Initial D.

I still think the ultimate engine transplant would be the Renesis. 250hp naturally aspirated? Damn you can't go wrong. However, I understand the school of thought that engine transplants should stay in family. (I think its the law in Cali where ure only allowed to transplant engines that are newer and from the same manufacture.)

Oh yea for all you ae86 fans, you should check out the concept Dodge Razor. I've already started saving for this car and I consider the Dodge Razor to be the spirtual successor to the AE86. GM has not announced yet if they're actually gonna make it but I'm saving up in case they do. Yes I WILL BE THE FIRST IN LINE!!!!

Originally posted by JrunkenC
I still think the ultimate engine transplant would be the Renesis. 250hp naturally aspirated? Damn you can't go wrong. However, I understand the school of thought that engine transplants should stay in family. (I think its the law in Cali where ure only allowed to transplant engines that are newer and from the same manufacture.)

Oh yea for all you ae86 fans, you should check out the concept Dodge Razor. I've already started saving for this car and I consider the Dodge Razor to be the spirtual successor to the AE86. GM has not announced yet if they're actually gonna make it but I'm saving up in case they do. Yes I WILL BE THE FIRST IN LINE!!!!

I don't think I'll be seeing any Renesis rotaries in any AE86's, but then again, you never know. It's a great engine... very advanced. I don't know how to work on them yet...

A Dodge be the successor to the all powerful AE86? I have to see pictures, because I know we're not getting it over here. I still don't get it. :confused:

-Tom

its the successor because it is a cheap rear wheel drive car... that is the only reason it will be its successor... i dislike dodge very much tho.... prolly would wait a bit and see how it lasted before i would irsk such a venture

yea I like the Dodge Razor 'cause its "target" stats are 2500lbs, 250hp, rwd, and target price under 20k. I actually think its truly heinous looking but then again I don't think the Corolla is much of a looker either and looks aren't everything. So translation: Cheap, RWD, and decent power. :) I think the Dodge Razor was supposed to make an appearance in GTC Seattle...

Anyway, Dodge is dragging they're feet and there are other potential successors to the AE86. A rumor I heard from a little birdy that Mazda was looking into making an RX-3. yummy

ah and Bengee, the Dodge Razor uses the same engine that's in the SRT-4 and PT Turbo so reliability should be okay (but then again it IS made by Dodge)

We were supposed to get GTC Seattle but nope. I saw some screenshots and they had the Dodge Razor in it. But no GTC Seattle (at least not that I know of)

Drifster, it was a highly doubtful source but supposedly Mazda wants to spread the cost of research on the Renesis to other cars. So look for a Mazdaspeed RX-8 hopefully by next year, an RX-7 (FE) in the coming future, and if all goes well, maybe an RX-3 (lightweight RWD rotary under 20k), a rotary pickup or maybe a new Cosmo. Of course all this is probably BS but we can always dream. :)

(and yes I know the Mazdaspeed RX-8 body kit already came out but I'm talking about the car not the body kit)

If you have to know why the 86 is such a good car go out and drive one. I have a 86 with a stock engine VERY underpowered but still fun my buddy just bought the new lancer evo and to be truthful i wasnt all that impressed exept for how well it accelerated. But i guarantee if i put as much money in my 86 as his evo costs it would tear his up any day. Plus it handeles better than Than the evo any day exept exits where awd has the advantage. Thats just my .02 cents

for me, AE86 is a good and nearlly its the best, not acctually in power, but performance, its hard to find a 2 door, light weight FR and still got such wide wheelbase( normally 2 door is kind of short in wheelbase )

weight : 50/50 weight balance

light weight : normally FR car is slightlly heavy than FF car (other than 4wd) and now days, its hard to find a FR car that got such light weight

wheelbase : long wheelbase normally will suffer understeer and when its oversteer when pushing too much, its hard to pull back with counter steer and sometime long wheelbase respond is slower, and short on wheelbase normally will make the car oversteer and when a car always get over steer, u will spend too much time to watch out the back and speed, because of that your turning speed will get slow because of that

and this car can make over and understeer( if u got enough skill and a nice car setting )

and the main reason why its good is, its used by many good driver like driver in JGTC, most of them still using that car, and most of them still like and remember that car because they COME from that car.

some of my friend ask me, Evo and AE86, which one u want, i never think of anything and i just said AE86, and from this, u can see how much i like this car.

iono why the AE86 would be a good beginner car...its not cheap in america, the parts are hard to find, and basically, in america the car just sucks.

because of initial D, the car has become very popular and the price has risen alot. its hard to find an AE86 with less than 120k miles for less than 3000 dollars.

i think the reason that everybody likes it is because of initial D.

Back