Why do YOU love Gran Turismo 4?

• Thread starter EJRocky
  • 59 comments
I never noticed that.

Anyway, I like that it has good graphics (except for the shaking screen thing... any one else have the NTSC version and are experiencing that?), I can go as fast as I want to (but I can't drive yet...), and that it's a game that will take me years to finish :P It's an interesting game with a bottomless pit for a story mode (not really a story).

BTW I don't have any pics or vids... but just get the driver's face on screen for long enough and really close (using the triangle button) and you'll see. Well I did. :indiff:

Another reason I like GT4 is no one I know can even come close to beating me, unless I delibrately lose.

I also can drive most of the Ring in my Yellowbird one-handed with my DFP. 👍

ive doen the Nurburgring Nordenschlife but not the Circuet de la Sarthé ones..

they suck!!
Really? I love them. Heck I even did it on LeMans 24 Hours too. Granted, that game had pit saves.

Also I play it because it bugs the hell out of the 'misses', see thinks that I am sad sitting down with my DFP.

Do any other partners think that ?
I actually asked my wife this and she said no. Of course, she will play Sims just as much. You have to get her hooked on a game.

I love GT4 because I love all the cars to choose from. I have found that I can have just as much fun with ultra compact cars with under 100hp as I can with a super car.

Just the amount of cars and the attention to detail on not only the cars, but the tracks too. I (have) owned every GT, and each one never ceases to amaze me.

its a game based on circuit racing, realism, and endless customization in a time when most racing games are based around arcade style street racing with ridiculous graphics and nitrous blurring effects. it has a huge selection of cars from the JGTC, and many from the WRC and other older rally cars.

One word: Depth

I love the attention to detail. I love how I can use real world racing and mechanical knowledge and apply some of it to improve at this game. I find that pretty impressive for a console racer.

Also, this is the only game I give a damn about being good at. Normally, I hear people talk about thier level 156 garden-gnome in W.O.W., or how they pwn noobs all day long in Counter-Strike, I don't care because normally video games don't matter much to me. Gran Turismo is the only exception.

I recently saw a commercial on TV for the BMW X5, the one where it was driving around the Nurburgring. I could recognize some of the points it was on at the track, mainly from my own time driving on it in GT4.

I recently saw a commercial on TV for the BMW X5, the one where it was driving around the Nurburgring. I could recognize some of the points it was on at the track, mainly from my own time driving on it in GT4.
That is exactly the same for me!!! I loved the commercial, and I knew if the car was in GT4 I would drive it right after I saw it, and attempt to beat the time. :crazy:

I love GT because of the variety of the cars, and because it taught me about the history of them. Because of GT, I now love the FIat 500, Honda Beat, Toyota 2000GT, etc.
I love ALL cars now, as long as they have some history or reason they are special. I don't like Ferraris as much as other cars for these reasons:

It's hard to tell the difference/they're all so similar
They're almost always in red.
They seem to think they're cars are the absolute best in the world, or at least one of the best
I can't find much about newer ones that remind me about the old ones

I do love the older ones though, it's the new ones that are kinda meh. :indiff:

Anyway, I'm glad I got into it, because I didn't want to turn out like a silly ricer who thinks adding bodykits and paint gives it "style" which is somehow more important than performance. They want a stylish car? Buy a cheap used BMW, or S2000, no need to make it way 1000 lbs more just to scrape the paint off the bottom.

Am I getting off topic? I'm going to need to use "anyway" the most in my lifetime, just to keep me from straying into the things that I'm straying into right n...

💡

I've had the game for just 3 weeks now and I am well truly hooked, I think my family have seen all the "7 signs of addiction" :)

I love the tremendous depth, the enormous variety of events & other challenges and that they're all possible, but not too easy.

I love having 700 cars to choose from, and they are so different, a substantial number of my favourite cars are available.

I like the driving dynamics, they seem fairly realistic and the other cars seem to drive cleanly, if i do the same. :)

Finally, the 'ring & Le Mans, what more can i say?

I love it because...

* Driving feels very real
* It features Group-C-Cars (unlike most other games)
* You can learn each tracks turns and straights until you know them like your hands back.
* Tracks are beautiful
* It teached me about cars I dont know
* The cars look great
* You can drive a 900Hp car around the nurburgring, you cannot do that in RL.
* You can tune the racing cars (unlike most other racing games)

But there ís an equal amount of points why I hate GT4.:dunce:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

200mph in a million dollar Zonda without having to worry about collision insurance... or dying.

Being able to drive (or at least simulate driving) cars that I will probably never get the chance to lay eyes on in the flesh - and drive them at insane speeds.

The tracks. I love the tracks. Whether I'm good at them or not, I like them all. Hong Kong is a pain in the rear, but I like it. Grand Canyon is piles on a stick, but I like it... No two tracks are the same (Even Sarthe 1 & 2 :dunce:)

Tuning, tuning, tuning.
"I'll have a stroker kit, turbo upgrade and racing gearbox thanks."
"Would you like Nitrous with your order?"
"Sure, why not..."

The ability to, whenever you damn well please, take any car in your garage out for a blat around any of the circuits. Rumbling along in a 600hp TVR Griffith or a Shelby Cobra with that V8 thudding in your ears is a nice feeling. (Obviously real life would be nicer, but with my finances this is about as good as it's going to get...)

I just like the cars, the driveability, the playability, the detail... Sound is so-so, but I don't mind it most of the time. And I love showing off - taking a friend for a scream around Nurburgring in a 787B or showing them 340kph in a plain old STi version 6... with nitrous, of course (How else would you do it?)

I didn't get started in the GT series until pretty late after GT3's release, but I was quick to pounce on GT4 shortly after its release, and a DFP not long after that. I've been hooked ever since. As has been said before by several posters, the game allows you to own and drive numerous cars that I would never be able to SEE, much less drive or own, in my lifetime. I also have been a fan of Le Mans for a while, and being able to race the track in top-tier prototypes is a dream come true.

One time I was watching a race replay in GT3 when my Dad came into my room. He looked at my TV and asked me, "What channel is that?" That's another reason I love the game. It's not photorealistic, but it's damned close!

On a side note, if anyone subscribes to "Road & Track," the Nov. '06 issue featured an article by Philip Hong about the 24hrs of Nürburgring. In the article, he said that he used GT4 to prepare for the race! How's that for realism?

I love it cuz of its realism, attention to detail, and the fact that I fallen love with sports cars in all my life. On a bad day......playing this game with DFP really seizes the day for me.

200mph in a million dollar Zonda without having to worry about collision insurance... or dying.

Tuning, tuning, tuning.
"I'll have a stroker kit, turbo upgrade and racing gearbox thanks."
"Would you like Nitrous with your order?"
"Sure, why not..."

The ability to, whenever you damn well please, take any car in your garage out for a blat around any of the circuits. Rumbling along in a 600hp TVR Griffith or a Shelby Cobra with that V8 thudding in your ears is a nice feeling. (Obviously real life would be nicer, but with my finances this is about as good as it's going to get...)

I just like the cars, the driveability, the playability, the detail...

Beautifully said. Thats just how I feel, but I have more to add.

Being able to, at the drop of a hat go into a showroom, pick up a car and test drive it as fast as you like, and wherever you like. See an RX8 on the street and want to test drive it? No problem. Super smooth racetrack? City circuit? Dirt track? No problem.
Now try going into your local Mazda dealer and asking if you can take a car to Germany for the week to drive like a maniac, and see how far you get.

Next day, and I'd like to take a Jensen Interceptor to the grand canyon. No problem. Now try finding a Jensen Interceptor for real - let alone one where the owner will allow you to take it rallying abroad.

It's not all about racecars. If I just wanted racing cars there's plenty of other racing games out there. But how many of them offer the regular cars?

Beautifully said. Thats just how I feel, but I have more to add.

Being able to, at the drop of a hat go into a showroom, pick up a car and test drive it as fast as you like, and wherever you like. See an RX8 on the street and want to test drive it? No problem. Super smooth racetrack? City circuit? Dirt track? No problem.
Now try going into your local Mazda dealer and asking if you can take a car to Germany for the week to drive like a maniac, and see how far you get.

Next day, and I'd like to take a Jensen Interceptor to the grand canyon. No problem. Now try finding a Jensen Interceptor for real - let alone one where the owner will allow you to take it rallying abroad.

It's not all about racecars. If I just wanted racing cars there's plenty of other racing games out there. But how many of them offer the regular cars?
Hehe, the other day my dad said he saw a Jensen Interceptor sitting in somone's driveway. Hmmm, maybe he likes rallying...

All are good points though.

So, why waste the bandwidth to post in it? :odd:
If you think it's a waste of bandwidth, then why did you bother posting a reply declaring it as such?

I could have elaborated on what I think of Gran Turismo 4, but I won't. In fact, I was going to leave this thread alone and let you guys have your fun, but seriously -- being moved to tears? Quoting Elizabeth Barrett Browning?

When you say "I really like Gran Turismo 4, because it's the most realistic driving game of them all," that's something I disagree with, but can ignore. When you start giving a game the same adoration that you would to, say, your life-partner, that's where a line is crossed.

Consider my previous post an equivalent to "hey! Get a room!"

How about this. You both stop spamming up this thread, and I do the same, and we let this thread hold posts that actually have something to do with the topic. The next thing I post here will be a reason I like gran turismo. I suggest you either do the same, or don't post here at all.

Thank you.

Last night i ran wide in a corner and clipped a witch's hat (traffic cone), next lap, it was lying on it's side in the middle of the track. How cool is that? :) I call it attention to detail.

Another example, I lowered my Datsun 1600 (510) to minimum ride height and put heaps of camber on the wheels, now this is clearly visible in replay mode! :)

i must say i've learned a number of things from the GT series, eg, we went to a racetrack called kyalami last weekend, and the instructor asked me where i learned to hold a racing line(obviously could'nt answer by saying errrr...Gran Turismo sir) but my point is, you learn a lot about a car's behaviour, understeer, oversteer, chaos theory, etc.

in real life, when you drive a wrx sti, it's a bit scarrier than in a game, since you feel it!

i hope gt5 lives up to gt4(*ahem* with force feedback too*ahem*)

still play gt4 daily.

Back