Why do you still play GT3?

• Thread starter buziii
  • 77 comments
It's the most fun game of the series and u don't have to worry about being oh too technical for race requirements. I like it. It's easier. Gran Turismo 5 is almost unplayable.

Simulation mode is quick and it just feels better.

There is no Rome on GT4 or PSP I believe, there's no SS11. The track selection was good and arcade mode was more straightforward.

As for not having high speed ring, Grindelwald, Pikes Peak, Tahiti Road, Rome and Seattle Short (only both full versions), and Red Rock Valley, in gt3, that's ok. Everything else makes up for it nicely.

that's my opinion and peace.

Childhood memories came into mind and forced me into dusting off the case and take out Gran Turismo 3. This is the longest daily streak I have ever played this game, four days so far. Started from 0% to 20% since Wednesday. I am glad to have revisited those memories, but the sad feelings that dragged along weren't helpful at all. :(

well, the reason i play it, is because the tracks are looking beautiful for a PS2 game compared to GT4. Also in some races the AI is a lot harder to beat and forces you to tune your car, since the opponent cars are also tuned. I found it just sad that GT3 was a rushed release. If they took only 1 more year for development, we'd probably have the High Speed Ring and some more tracks from GT2 aswell.

I recently have started my own walkthrough of this game, which can be seen on my YT-channel.

I really like the cars, and tracks, in the game. Believe it or not, GT3 is the latest GT game I've played for the first time (I played 1,4, and 5 before it). It's a great game overall.

GT3 was the first gran turismo game I ever own and I was really young when I got along with my ps2. I fell in love with it a grew up with it. Probably my fav memories of the game is the soundtrack and constantly doing races on special stage route 5. It is still my favorite gran turismo to date and would love to see tracks like complex string revived to drive on again. GT3 forever.

Why?...well, I'm afraid there isn't enough words that can describe why. And I say this being perfectly aware that there's thousand of verbs and adjectives in the English language that could come pretty close.

After beating the beans out of GT2, my next sept would be GT3. I got a brand new PS3 Christmas 2001, and along with it came GT3. I was already a sucker for the Gran Turismo name, and I was in for one hell of a ride...

Back then all my school "friends" had the bad habit of never returning borrowed items, and due to my naiveness I lost the GT3 disc for the first time. I was heart broken, because for the first time I found a way of expressing the love I had for cars. Nothing came as close as GT3 in saying how much I loved cars. And for a 11 year old boy, who spends most of his time alone, GT3 was the only true friend that I had.

At the age of 14 I was forced to move to the big city along with my parents due to serious financial problems. After things picked up a bit, my parents were able to afford buying me a new GT3 disc, and I was over the moon...until I feel for the same trick again.

And then, one day, at the age of 16, I got myself some pocket money. GT3 was history by now, all the heat was on the upcoming GT4 instead. But I still wanted GT3. I walked all over town, store after store looking for GT3, but I couldn't find it...until, at 10pm in the evening (nearly 6 hours later after I started my quest) I finally found it! Needless to say I spent the entire night playing it.

Maybe I got carried away with the story, but I'd like to point out that video games (for ANY platform) are extremely expensive in Portugal, they make nearly 20% of the minimum monthly payment of a full time job.

I still play Gran Turismo 3, because it reminds me of a simpler time. I can really go back to it any time, and enjoy it every time. The intro (PAL) still brings a tear to my eyes even today.
Sadly, my technique has evolved too much, and I can't drive at all with the simulation in GT3. The PS2 controller it's too sensitive, and I fail to control the cars, as I'm too much used to GT5 now.

...now ignore this sob story, and just go play GT3, I promise it will make you feel good about yourself! :dopey:

WOW WHAT A STORY!!!!!!:crazy::crazy::crazy:

are games really that expensive over there?

GT4 was 100 bucks when it first came out..if I remember correctly:idea:

It's the most fun game of the series and u don't have to worry about being oh too technical for race requirements. I like it. It's easier. Gran Turismo 5 is almost unplayable.

BINGO!!! the cars are so hard to control..

I thought GT4 was a challenge! GT5 is boarding on insane gameplay and driving skills:crazy::crazy:

I found GT3 to be a very fun an interesting game. I absolutely love the music that was in the car dealership, and I am missing it in GT5. Hope it's in GT6!

No nostalgia here, it's just a really great overall package. No stupid used dealers, VERY slick interface, HUGE improvement from 2 even with the drop in raw content... it's even got weird stuff like the whole drift system, and small silly decisions like having enough garage space to fit every car (only other game that does this is 5, iirc). Sure, it has flaws, but most of them are the same flaws as every other game in the series has.

WOW WHAT A STORY!!!!!!:crazy::crazy::crazy:

are games really that expensive over there?

GT4 was 100 bucks when it first came out..if I remember correctly:idea:

Super late reply, but yes, very expensive indeed. Portugal does not have a pre-owned system for games. And there's not special deals.
A game will cost a set price, whatever the system. Good or bad, new or old. It will cost that same price regardless of all that.
Current PS3 games can go up to €70. And only get a price cut when they go platinum.
Bare in mind that the minimum wage is a pathetic €400-ish.

Even back then I had to pay full platinum price for my 3rd GT3 game. Even if the game was nearly 5 years old.

Reason why I'm glad to live in England. I just got a PS3 game for £3 the other day. This very same game in Portugal will still cost you full price.

Now back to the GT3 stories.
Aside from my personal reasons, GT3 has the best presentation. I love all that red glow and shinny cars.

I couldn't care less about the cars, graphics or anything that defines a "good" game in the eyes of the typical gamer. The gameplay and everything that comes with it is amazing and for that, GT3 is my favorite Gran Turismo to date, also I will be surprised if any future instalment surpasses it. I picked it up on summer again and all the memories were flooding in as everything was as I remembered it. Brillinant!

Vitz/Yaris Championship.
Expert level.
Special Stage Route 11.
Hardest GT3 race?
Remember tuning my Yaris Euro 1.5 to the teeth and still destroying my tyres before the end of the race, to pit meant game over!!

I'm in (was) due to only having a PS2 while I'm in between moves, and played GT4 to my limit (99.4%, just Mission 34 and Grand Canyon Hard undone). I'm on my second time thru GT3.

3 has an almost old school video quality. You can't get the video better than 480i, so it's grainy but still watchable. On 4 you can use a component cable and get 1080i and it looks better (but nothing like real HD in GT6).

I like the dirt physics in 3 best of all of the GT titles. This time around I actually finished the 2 Rally time trials that I could not do last time, so I was kind of proud of that. I don't like that you can only drive from bumper cam view (that silly floating view carp is for little kids).

So all in all it's fun, just not great. I guess I'm a sucker for HD and the eye candy of the PS3 titles. And even with all the griping about the problems with 6, it's still a technological marvel if you really think about it. Like GT3 was when it first came out. I look forward to one using the advanced capabilities of the PS4.

CDub

Last edited:
Vitz/Yaris Championship.
Expert level.
Special Stage Route 11.
Hardest GT3 race?
Remember tuning my Yaris Euro 1.5 to the teeth and still destroying my tyres before the end of the race, to pit meant game over!!
Yes that Vitz race was a major bugger, but at least it was doable. Is GT3 the one with the AI in 300mph Opel Speedsters, or was that GT4? That one was tough too.

The Complex String Challenge in 3 though is beyond ridiculous. They might as well put in a race on the moon...oh, wait, they did.

CDub

GT3 was actually the first video game I ever played, after my son got me interested. I enjoy the racing games and I played GT4 and now GT5. But, for some reason, I still enjoy going back and starting a new GT3 career.

I got bored with GT4, and now I'm bored with GT5.

I'm not sure what it is about GT3. I'm not a big car enthusiast or techie, it seems the game is just more fun than the newer versions.

Why do you guys still play it?

In my opinion: GT3 is a racing game, not like GT4 and GT5 which are spec point accumulation games. In GT3 you enter a race, if your car is better and you are a better driver you will win. In GT4 and GT5 you enter a race with a better car and you know you are a better driver, you will not win until you have enough spec points. I only wish Sony would take out the spec point requirements and go back to racing or at the very least make GT3 playable on the PS3. I have a PS3, a PS2 and a Xbox 360 and the best simulation racing is the GT3. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good racing games, but to update the GT3 and the NFS Underground 2 for the PS3 would be extremely enjoyable. Again, this is my opinion.

I recently got a PS2 and GT3 and I was amazed of how tough it really was unless you had a car nearly upgraded to the max or if certain cars you face are slower than yours. Plus unlike GT4, the handling was easier to learn but almost difficult to master and the driving itself was probably more easier since I was so used to Race Driver Grid, Forza 4, and so forth on my xbox 360. Starting off the simulation mode was a shaky start with a steep learning curve and generally unforgiving AI (though the AI isn't that bright due to pre-sent racing lines to follow and so forth) unless you were skillful enough to corner properly or use an obviously faster and better car (especially the JGTC racing cars and F1 race cars) plus the beginning races offer less money and requires careful money spending on upgrades and grinding for a few hours before getting to the meat of the career mode. And honestly, I got into GT3 more so than GT4 due to easier to navigate menus, quicker loading time and easier driving. However, it didn't have the cars as GT2 had and I didn't like the fact that there were no used cars lot. I currently have 4,096,722 Cr with 51 cars and 75.9 percent done after two months of playing since February 23 of this year.

Back