Why does Forza 7 still has 90 degree steering wheel animation?

• Thread starter GT Kelv
  • 35 comments
United States
United States
Kelv_Jr
I was looking at a video from E3 of a guy driving the 911 GT2RS and I noticed the same ol 90 degree wheel animation they've been using in all the other Forza games that have in-car cockpit views. I have to say I was very disappointed to see that after all the features and upgrades they've made to the game that there still is this unrealistic steering wheel animation. The guy even put the car into some little slides where counter steering would've been necessary, but still 90 degrees to the left and 90 degrees to the right. I just can't take this game seriously as an upscale racing game until they get rid of it the this. We have wobbling windshield wipers but no steering wheel that rotates at least 180 to 720 degrees. So is Turn 10's answer to this problem making an in-car view that sits behind the steering wheel?

Here's the video

There's a view where the wheel is gone, I suggest using that if the steering rotation bothers you.

I like seeing the wheel though, maybe they should just catch up to the standards of current racing games and fix it. That's all I'm saying.

That's a bit extreme.

I hope it's not too extreme. Lol. I'm just surprised to see in this game especially with all the other features they put in the game. Just my opinion though. Hopefully it gets fixed before the release.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think It's like that because they built this franchise with pads in mind, and not steering wheels. Another racing game, Assetto Corsa, does a wonderful job if you're using a wheel, but It's not very smooth with a controller (I'm talking about animations), even with a limited steering visual angle. The only way to make it completely smooth, It's to reduce it a lot and that's what Forza does. But there's no excuse for the horrible, wooden drivers' arms. I'm sure Turn 10 can do way better than that.

Edit: Scratch the first part, because Driveclub.

Last edited:
I have been impressed by FM7 so far, well expect for the wheel rotation and that the dude does not perform any gear changes with his hands, but as this is just a "demo" I dont make anything out of it. If you remember forza 3 or was it 4, had that issue where the dude did not change gears but they fixed it after a while. But if this issue persists I will still use the camera wihout the wheel so I will be enticed by the most impressive thing I have seen in a game, a life like revcounter needle... Its aaaaliiiiveeee mohahaha :) Still it is 2017, best they fix it :P

Last edited:
There's a view where the wheel is gone, I suggest using that if the steering rotation bothers you.

They did the same thing for Forza Horizon 3's E3 demo, but that view was never present in the released game.

They did the same thing for Forza Horizon 3's E3 demo, but that view was never present in the released game.
They've already confirmed the removal of the wheel in interior view. I'm pretty sure thats the exact view they confirmed would be there.

They've already confirmed the removal of the wheel in interior view. I'm pretty sure thats the exact view they confirmed would be there.
If that is the case then that is great. I was dissapointed that view never made it into the released version of FH3. Likely the view I will be using when I am playing with my wheel.

I think It's like that because they built this franchise with pads in mind, and not steering wheels. Another racing game, Assetto Corsa, does a wonderful job if you're using a wheel, but It's not very smooth with a controller (I'm talking about animations), even with a limited steering visual angle. The only way to make it completely smooth, It's to reduce it a lot and that's what Forza does. But there's no excuse for the horrible, wooden drivers' arms. I'm sure Turn 10 can do way better than that.

That is a valid point.

So in remedy to the limited steering wheel animation, they tighten the FOV until the A pillar eats up 1/5th of the screen and blocks a good portion of your view...

Sigh.

I know what I just wrote sounds silly. But why can't Turn 10 either animate the wheel to match your physical wheel and then remove the driver's hands, or remove the wheel and driver if getting the animation to match is impossible? Is that so hard? I am sure it's not immersion breaking either. What gives?

for 2 reasons maybe
1 when playing with joypad it looks very silly
2 extremely high number of cars means fixing details for each one = a time sink, and for what?

This makes me so happy, because i love the view Kunos did in AC which is a bit up closer, and now T10? Awesome!
I recently got Assetto Corsa, and I see what you mean. I still use the view with the wheel (because you have darn near infinite adjustability) and with a controller, I have the animation set to 260º. I still stand by my opinion of removing the driver's hands, removing both the steering wheel and the drivers' hands or, turning the wheel animation off.

But I will say, the zoomed in view isn't as bad as I originally thought. It's still kind of funny that this view appeared after a competing sim popularized it... :rolleyes:

Lol... GRiD Autosport had this view first... And AC got it in a update with new sounds and stuff when 505 made the ac console version... So basicly the console version improved the pc sim :P

I still use the view with the wheel (because you have darn near infinite adjustability)
That's one of the best things in AC. The level of camera customization is brilliant and more games should allow players to change these settings.

Lol... GRiD Autosport had this view first... And AC got it in a update with new sounds and stuff when 505 made the ac console version... So basicly the console version improved the pc sim :P
That view has been there since day one. And, by the way, 505 Games is just the publisher; the console version was made by Kunos.

That view was in Grid? I would have never known if you didn't write it here. The physics in Grid made the game a non-purchase for me. I still bought NFS Shift though... LOL.

I remember a very similar view in a Codemasters attempt at challenging GT and Forza... IIRC it was the predecessor to Grid. It was on the PS2 and the OG Xbox. For the life of me, I can't recall the title of that game, but it was pretty good. That game didn't have a full interior view, but they did have a view where the camera was positioned behind the windshield and just above the dashboard.

Eh... It's still a decent view to use, no matter where it first appeared.

:edit: After a quick search, the name of the game is/was TOCA.

Last edited:
PC sims have had fully adjustable seat positioning and field of view settings for many years.

The close up dashcam is a good compromise, and I was happy to see it in numerous games (DiRT Rally, SLRE, lately AC, even GT5/6, etc...), and I am ecstatic that it has finally come to Forza.... but let's not say it's a step forward for PC sims compared to fully adjustable cockpit camera and FoV, shall we? ;)

I own AC since Early Access and drove it over 1000h. You can trust me that view was not in since day one.

To be honest that view is kind of useless as I cant lower/rize(fine tune) the camera view bedside the fov. But AC had the ability to remove, the wheel/driver and customize the fov and fine tune it even more if you like form day 1. The statement -You can trust me that view was not in since day one, is totally pointless and not true at all as we had it all along from day 1. Car games on pc have had these options since early 2000 from what I can remember. Toca racedriver was kind of a bit crappish as it did not live up the expectations form the earlier toca titles like the good old btcc one.

Last edited:
The lack of proper animation for wheel and gear shifting is here for the same reason as no pitstop animations.
I remeber some cars dont have any gear shift animation at all in fm6, and I doubt its gonna change in fm7.
T10 have different development priorities right now it seems, as licenses for cars and tracks are their selling point.

Forza games typically take a "one size fits all" approach, as they have to work on so many cars for every release. That's why every car has the same camera options, available assists, number of tuning sliders (when adjustable) etc..

I wouldn't be surprised if Turn 10 decided that 180 degree steering was a good "one size fits all" solution and used that as the base for their driver animations. Afterall, a Formula 1 car isn't going to have 900 degree steering anytime soon.

Another potential presumption is that setting the rotation to 180 degrees was made with controller users in mind. When playing on a controller it's possible to go from "lock to lock" within a fraction of a second (although steering becomes less sensitive at higher speeds), and animating anything above 180 degrees would look very odd to a player who's flicking the stick left and right multiple times a second.

Although staying true to the source material is important, sometimes you have to cut your losses and take some creative license in order to ensure the final product is fun or "believable enough" for the majority of the playerbase.

Need to quote (and correct) my own post, since I completely forgot about Driveclub, which features smooth and full steering animations, even with a pad. So, yeah, It's possible if a developer cares enough.

Need to quote (and correct) my own post, since I completely forgot about Driveclub, which features smooth and full steering animations, even with a pad. So, yeah, It's possible if a developer cares enough.
That's a fair point, Driveclub was a good game for its time too with impressive lighting effects.

That being said, their roster is much smaller than Forza's, so cars could be hand-tweaked with unique animations and features (manual deployment of KERS/DRS is another thing Driveclub did a good job on). With a roster of 500+ (soon to be 700+), Turn 10 likely don't have the time or manpower to hand-tweak every single car, outside of what they do for the Forzavista modelling, and a compromise has to be made. This isn't meant to be an excuse, just an educated guess at how this could happen.

On the other-hand, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of players don't even use cockpit view (in Codemasters games it's about 6%) and will never see such animations across a wide range of cars, or when they do they either don't know that it's "wrong" or don't care.

Personally, I don't care, and I only drive in Bumper or Chase Far.

The lack of proper animation for wheel and gear shifting is here for the same reason as no pitstop animations.
I remeber some cars dont have any gear shift animation at all in fm6, and I doubt its gonna change in fm7.
T10 have different development priorities right now it seems, as licenses for cars and tracks are their selling point.

I agree. The whole package should be their selling point because the only advantage they have over other racing games is car selection. Other games are doing what they are just starting to do. They can't possibly not notice that they're lacking in some of these areas.

Forza games typically take a "one size fits all" approach, as they have to work on so many cars for every release. That's why every car has the same camera options, available assists, number of tuning sliders (when adjustable) etc..

I wouldn't be surprised if Turn 10 decided that 180 degree steering was a good "one size fits all" solution and used that as the base for their driver animations. Afterall, a Formula 1 car isn't going to have 900 degree steering anytime soon.

Another potential presumption is that setting the rotation to 180 degrees was made with controller users in mind. When playing on a controller it's possible to go from "lock to lock" within a fraction of a second (although steering becomes less sensitive at higher speeds), and animating anything above 180 degrees would look very odd to a player who's flicking the stick left and right multiple times a second.

Although staying true to the source material is important, sometimes you have to cut your losses and take some creative license in order to ensure the final product is fun or "believable enough" for the majority of the playerbase.

Very very true. Somebody that likes realism such as my self feels that they need to take such a detail into consideration. They should especially if they can include vibrating wipers.

Driveclub's steering animations were very good. At a standstill the wheel rotates from lock to lock. And in slides/drifts the wheel rotated in a very realistic manner. Loved it, well done from a controller standpoint.

Back