Why does PP go down when you do this?

• Thread starter moby323
  • 56 comments
We know for a fact that it isn't, hence the reason gear ratios have no bearing on a cars PP rating.
Gear ratios have no effect on a car's PP rating because PD specifically disabled that from affecting them. Do you not remember the Tomahawk exploit days?

If you change to either of the close-ratio gearboxes from standard, it changes the PP of the car. User-editable variables are what don't count anymore.

Gear ratios have no effect on a car's PP rating because PD specifically disabled that from affecting them. Do you not remember the Tomahawk exploit days?

If you change to either of the close-ratio gearboxes from standard, it changes the PP of the car. User-editable variables are what don't count anymore.
Yes, I am aware they used to, but they don't now, therefore the cars acceleration does not impact the cars PP rating, only which gearbox is installed.

Therefore, we know for a fact the PP is not calculated based off of the results of the cars cornering and acceleration tests.

Last edited:
Yes, I am aware they used to, but they don't now, therefore the cars acceleration does not impact the cars PP rating ony which gearbox is installed.

Therefore, we know for a fact the PP is not calculated based off of the results of the cars cornering and acceleration tests.
The fact that gear ratio calculations themselves are not factored does not prove that acceleration rates are not factored.

The fact that gear ratio calculations themselves are not factored does not prove that acceleration rates are not factored.
Of course it does, because you can shorten or lengthen the ratios to your hearts content, altering the cars acceleration performance in the process, and the PP score will not budge. Which gearbox is installed changes the score, not the ratios themselves. Therfore, its the part not the actual acceleration influencing the score.

PD tried to make it a really clever calculation, but it was too easily exploited, and broken and has been scaled back significantly since the games launch as a result. It's still broken, but not as easilly exploited (though it still can be).

Last edited:
Of course it does, because you can shorten or lengthen the ratios to your hearts content, altering the cars acceleration performance in the process, and the PP score will not budge. Which gearbox is installed changes the score, not the ratios themselves. Therfore, its the part not the actual acceleration influencing the score.

PD tried to make it a really clever calculation, but it was too easily exploited, and broken and has been scaled back significantly since the games launch as a result. It's still broken, but not as easilly exploited (though it still can be).
There are 5 different gearbox options in the game. The car's original, close-ratio transmission low, close-ratio transmission high, fully customizable manual and fully customizable racing. Every installation changes the car's pp value... for a fact.

The fact that modifying the default settings of different gearboxes does not make it a fact that the acceleration and turning of the car does not affect the car's pp calculation... for a fact.

There are 5 different gearbox options in the game. The car's original, close-ratio transmission low, close-ratio transmission high, fully customizable manual and fully customizable racing. Every installation changes the car's pp value... for a fact.

The fact that modifying the default settings of different gearboxes does not make it a fact that the acceleration and turning of the car does not affect the car's pp calculation... for a fact.
Yes it does, if I increase or decrease a cars acceleration by modifying the gear ratio's the cars PP does not change. Do you dispute this fact? Ergo, the cars acceleration does not affect the PP score of a car. When it comes to gears, no more than what gearbox is installed impacts the cars PP, this isn't reflective of how fast the car accelerates as you can install a racing gearbox and stretch those gears out wide or really narrow them and it makes no difference whatsoever.... For a fact.

Increasing a cars power typically increases the cars PP score, the increase in power will typically result in an increase in accelerative capability also, however this is a byproduct of the increased power which is what increases the PP score.

If what you were saying was true... For a fact, then we would see the PP score changing based on how fast of slow you set up a cars acceleration by means of adjusting the gear ratios. This has absolutely no impact. Therefore you can install a fully adjustable racing transmission but mae the car accelerate like treacle, and the score will only reflect that the reacing transmission is installed, not that the rations are far, far too wide and the car has terrible acceleration... For a fact.

Last edited:
Yes it does, if I increase or decrease a cars acceleration by modifying the gear ratio's the cars PP does not change. Do you dispute this fact? Ergo, the cars acceleration does not affect the PP score of a car. When it comes to gears, no more than what gearbox is installed impacts the cars PP, this isn't reflective of how fast the car accelerates as you can install a racing gearbox and stretch those gears out wide or really narrow them and it makes no difference whatsoever.... For a fact.

Increasing a cars power typically increases the cars PP score, the increase in power will typically result in an increase in accelerative capability also, however this is a byproduct of the increased power which is what increases the PP score.

If what you were saying was true... For a fact, then we would see the PP score changing based on how fast of slow you set up a cars acceleration by means of adjusting the gear ratios. This has absolutely no impact. Therefore you can install a fully adjustable racing transmission but mae the car accelerate like treacle, and the score will only reflect that the reacing transmission is installed, not that the rations are far, far too wide and the car has terrible acceleration... For a fact.
And how about the fact that adjusting the settings for aerodynamics, which directly affect the vehicle's acceleration rates (and cornering ability), do affect PP ratings?

And how about the fact that adjusting the settings for aerodynamics, which directly affect the vehicle's acceleration rates (and cornering ability), do affect PP ratings?
You are increasing/decreasing the cars downforce, the byproduct of which is better/worse cornering at various speeds, faster/slower acceleration and higher/lower top speeds, amongst other things. We can eliminate acceleration as a direct factor into a cars PP by simply recognising that adjusting it directly by way of changing gear ratios, does nothing to the PP score. If the cars acceleration did figure into the PP score, then how would increasing the cars acceleration with good ratios not result in an increased PP score? Or likewise, worsening it by poor ratios not result in a decreased score?

It is only when you adjust certain other settings which do something else, but may also impact the cars acceleration in the process, that the PP score changes. Adjusting the dowforce settings proves that the cars downforce levels impacts the cars PP rating, not the acceleration which changes as a byproduct of whatever your downforce settings are.

If you have actual data to suggest otherwise I'm all virtual ears.

Last edited:
I think the game bases (or based, past-tense) PP values on whatever the default gear ratios are for the custom transmissions which would explain why the swapped Cappuccino loses PP because the default gear ratios max out closer to around 130 mph but we know it can do over 200 mph if you stretch the gears wide enough.

I think the game bases (or based, past-tense) PP values on whatever the default gear ratios are for the custom transmissions which would explain why the swapped Cappuccino loses PP because the default gear ratios max out closer to around 130 mph but we know it can do over 200 mph if you stretch the gears wide enough.
Interesting idea, hard to test though since the PP formulas have been tweaked from update to update. Even if someone had records of how much extra/less PP a specific transmissiom added to a certain car at the stock ratios prior to the update where gear ratios no longer impacted PP, it likely wouldn’t match the same increase/decrease adding the same gearbox to the same car now.

A look at the games data could result in an answer if you knew where to look, but the PP formula is likely embedded in the source code somewhere rather than the games databases.

Alternatively, the gearboxes could simply now have a fixed value floating point or Integer, which is based on the stock ratios maybe, but is a static number.

There are many ways to do a PP calculation, at their crudest, you have a value that considers power to weight. At the most complex, you have something far, far more detailed than what GT7 offers. At the end of the day, the vehicles acceleration capabilities don't, by themselves, impact a cars PP rating. Rather, it only seems to be when the acceleration capabilities change as a byproduct of something else that the PP rating changes as well as the acceleration capability.

Last edited:
We know for a fact that it isn't, hence the reason gear ratios have no bearing on a cars PP rating.

We know for a fact it is. The acceleration tests are unaffected by custom ratios, but they are affected by which trans you use.

Last edited:

Or maybe , Just maybe the game just ignores your gear ratios and test it with the default ratio. PD clearly designed the simulation to test acceleration and due to us exploiting just disabled the test for OUR custom ratios but as noted use the baseline preset to test it. The other guy is right .

Let’s for a moment assume that you are correct. Then two cars with the same PP should be equal in performance, right?

Here is an easy experiment I did, you can do the same if you want to verify the results independently. I bought two Toyota 86 GT and tuned them both to 550 pp.

With the first car I achieved this by making the car as lightweight as possible, maximising downforce and fitting the grippiest tyres, best brakes, and sports suspension, then adjusting the power limiters until I reached the desired PP limit.
F7DFE026-C448-43A8-B40F-FB317B0D7018.jpeg

The second car was tuned by maximising the power output, fitting sports soft tyres and then adjusting to 550 PP by adding ballast.

5405E9FF-5682-4662-802C-83148D59A5C5.jpeg

We now have one lightweight, low power, high grip car, and one heavy, high power and low grip car. Both have the same PP. In this scenario, which do you believe give you better information about the performance of these two cars: The PP score or the acceleration and cornering data?

Next, I took the two cars to High Speed Ring and did three laps in each of them. To my surprise (not really) there was an 8 second gap between the two cars. How is this possible when they have the same PP score?

3C41935A-D3DA-436C-880D-E9EF022B5D37.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes it does, if I increase or decrease a cars acceleration by modifying the gear ratio's the cars PP does not change. Do you dispute this fact?
No, because PD especially decided to remove this calculation because they didnt find a way to fix the flaws with gear ratio PP calculations.
But now, if you want to accuratly say that "acceleration has no impact on a cars performance", can you name any change that only affects a cars acceleration and doesnt change a cars top speed - without touching the gear box?
You would have to find some very specific setup on all components to reach this result, and then you could verify this claim.
Outside of that, we can assume accelation is part of the PP because simply there is info on the side panel the same way as for rotational G, and we now for a fact that rotational G is part of of PP calculation (because many glitches were abusing this part of the calculation).

We know for a fact it is. The acceleration tests are unaffected by custom ratios, but they are affected by which trans you use.
You know, I think I have been misunderstanding what you were getting at all this time. Correct me if I'm wrong but, you're talking specifically about the Acceleration Performance data on the left of the tuning screen which doesn't change based on your gear ratio's (which is flawed as heck as a result). I was thining you were refrering the tests using the cars actual acceleration performance, not the arbitary numbers, which are incorrect as soon as you change the cars settings.

So, yes, if you are saying the PP score is based onthe Acceleration Performance numbers on the left of the settings screen, I conceed that they assumedly are, however those numbers do not accurately reflect the cars accelerative performance and appear to be static floating points determined by which gearbox is installed.

So my point, and apologies as it seems it's me that's caused these crossed wires here, is that when you adjust your cars acceleration in the settings, this change has absolutely no impact on the cars PP score, so the cars actual acceleraltive perofrmance does not impact the PP score.

Last edited:
I can tell the pp system is flawed from doing my little custom endurance races at Nurburgring 24H. The cars on the grid range from 604pp to 600pp except for my car which I try to do as low pp as possible to make it more exciting, all on RH. I can win with a 540 pp R34 GTR or the old M3 but yet can barely keep up to last place with a 580pp Nismo R32 GTR. If it wasn't for the AI not being able to read a gas gauge 🙄 I would have finished last. I even had an engine swapped Mini spinning his little wheels in 3rd past me all race which was hilarious because of the sound.

That's definitely it. Same for suspension defaults.

Here’s a weird one I found today.

After the swap and upgrades there’s Race Muffler that doesn’t add pp and a Racing Trans that subtracts ~35pp
IMG_4286.png

IMG_4281.png

I’ve encountered several parts such as mufflers, air filters etc. for numerous cars since 1.34 that do absolutely nothing to the PP value despite increasing power.
It’s quite common to have a fully adjustable race transmission reduce PP and has been for as far back as I can remember, though -35PP seems exceptional.

@i386 I’m not sure what you mean by that, can you explain a little different?

@BangsMcCoy Are you confusing it with the regular “Manual Trans” from the (semi-racing section)? That one will regularly lower pp because the shifting is slow and the speed drops slightly between gears.

The Race Trans is a sequential and usually adds (10-15pp) compared to the regular manual and “normal”. In almost every case the Race Trans is the fastest option. There may be some extremely rare cases that it lowers like 2pp or something when the “normal” stock trans is a really good 7/8 gear in a few cars.

——————
Also found this with the Cappuccino Swap…. Sequential Race Trans lowers 68pp and makes Fully Upgraded car under 600pp. All of this while making everything much faster, the 2nd pic shows the acceleration drop from switching Race to Normal while the pp skyrockets

IMG_4393.png

IMG_4401.png

Last edited:
@i386 I’m not sure what you mean by that, can you explain a little different?

@BangsMcCoy Are you confusing it with the regular “Manual Trans” from the (semi-racing section)? That one will regularly lower pp because the shifting is slow and the speed drops slightly between gears.

The Race Trans is a sequential and usually adds (10-15pp) compared to the regular manual and “normal”. In almost every case the Race Trans is the fastest option. There may be some extremely rare cases that it lowers like 2pp or something when the “normal” stock trans is a really good 7/8 gear in a few cars.

——————
Also found this with the Cappuccino Swap…. Sequential Race Trans lowers 68pp and makes Fully Upgraded car under 600pp. All of this while making everything much faster, the 2nd pic shows the acceleration drop from switching Race to Normal while the pp skyrockets

View attachment 1260701
View attachment 1260702
No, I’m not confusing the transmissions. I only ever use the stock or fully customizable racing transmissions. I’ve never attempted to use any of the others. There are lots of instances where I’ve seen the fully customizable racing trans lower the PP value of a car, though usually only by several PP, maybe 10, not 35 or 68. This is true in both road cars and racing cars that I’ve seen when tuning my cars.

No, I’m not confusing the transmissions. I only ever use the stock or fully customizable racing transmissions. I’ve never attempted to use any of the others. There are lots of instances where I’ve seen the fully customizable racing trans lower the PP value of a car, though usually only by several PP, maybe 10, not 35 or 68. This is true in both road cars and racing cars that I’ve seen when tuning my cars.
I’m certainly jumping into this late but a quick observation on the one point of the racing transmission having a lower PP value when added vs others, I believe what you described is due to the racing transmission also needing the additional racing clutch/flywheel to get power out of it to simulate real racing. Same as if you put in a racing transmission in a stock car, the stock clutch/flywheel will hinder its performance in real life.

I’m certainly jumping into this late but a quick observation on the one point of the racing transmission having a lower PP value when added vs others, I believe what you described is due to the racing transmission also needing the additional racing clutch/flywheel to get power out of it to simulate real racing. Same as if you put in a racing transmission in a stock car, the stock clutch/flywheel will hinder its performance in real life.
I only run the racing clutch/flywheel except on a few cars that I dedicate for the super low PP restrictions where you have to be VERY selective with the few upgrades you can make.

The pp-system was buggy from release. In stead of fixing it, PD blacked us out of a part of it's calculations by not updating the results on the left of the setup screen. That doesn't mean the settings you change do not affect the true pp or handling. It was a lazy way to get away from those exploits, but it leaves us in the dark when the settings we choose are really bad (or good).
There is a tuning calculator available here on Gtplanet that really works, but some cars are so glitchy that it's hard to just find a basic starting point. With changing the AMG GT R's flywheel options you could change the car's stability about 70% and it shows on track.

On one side we have the broken pp-system and on the other side we have the lack of feedback in numbers.

Also, when you are checked into a lobby for testing and tuning, and you don't check out (red cross) prior to making changes in your settings sheet, when you go out on track not all settings are applied.
You have to go in and out the sheet a few times with selecting a few settings each time if you can't check out. Or, just press red cross, go in and out of your settings sheet and check in again.

You can test this by changing your gearing a lot without checking out. Same issue in the public lobbies, dailies Idk.

Last edited:
Back