Why does this game get so much hate?

• Thread starter shenfrey
  • 54 comments
i just hope that gt7 doesn't screw up what i think is a great sport mode. i know the penalty system needs work:), but everything else is pretty damn good.

I feel like GTsport was an project to get sport mode in a great place (besides penalty) and GT7 will have both single player and online sport done well.

They've never had online done really well until GtSport IMHO

Anyone mention online driving standards? Only gripe I’ve really seen. But that’s not the fault of the game.

Anyone mention online driving standards? Only gripe I’ve really seen. But that’s not the fault of the game.
In a way though, it is. There are insufficient rewards for clean driving, because the penalties for dirty / bad driving are random and inconsistently assigned. Trying to assign blame for contact is an incredibly difficult problem for software to handle, and the best systems just assign an equal amount of incident points to both / all cars. This way if you have one dirty driver in a race sure maybe half the field gets a few incident points or a small safety rating drop but that one driver ends up DQ'd for hitting everyone, rather than finishing top 5 because because they wrecked everybody else.

\
In a way though, it is. There are insufficient rewards for clean driving, because the penalties for dirty / bad driving are random and inconsistently assigned. Trying to assign blame for contact is an incredibly difficult problem for software to handle, and the best systems just assign an equal amount of incident points to both / all cars. This way if you have one dirty driver in a race sure maybe half the field gets a few incident points or a small safety rating drop but that one driver ends up DQ'd for hitting everyone, rather than finishing top 5 because because they wrecked everybody else.

There's a post on GTplanet that outlines good race craft but I can't find it anymore. I saw it yesterday and it was really well written. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

- Traditional GT fans hate it because it's too online focused, not enough cars, career mode too short.
- PC sim racers hate it because it's more popular than their chosen sim despite being less realistic.
- Forza fans hate it because it's not Forza.
- Actual GTS players hate it because of the endlessly frustrating penalty system.
- People waiting for GT7 hate it because they think every second PD spends on this game, it delays GT7 further.
- And finally, It's just trendy for people to hate on something once it becomes popular.

I feel like GTsport was an project to get sport mode in a great place (besides penalty) and GT7 will have both single player and online sport done well.

They've never had online done really well until GtSport IMHO

After playing GT Sport now for a week, I think those complaining that the game is short on content are expecting the same, year on year. GT Sport has a League mode which takes a long time to get through, a driving school, mission challenges and of course a very deep sport mode. The only content that seems to be missing are more cars/tracks (still a lot here, just maybe not certain favourites) and there are no buying parts or used cars. And that's it. People don't like the campaign because it doesn't give you new cars, and there are no PSN trophies attached to it, but that's a minor.

I think people are absolutely barmy for calling GT Sport a 'spin off' or a 'shell of what it use to be' because it's just not true. Photo Scapes, Social Features, Livery Editor, these are all features that I would rather have compared to used cars right now, and when GT 7 comes out we will get a lot more content. But GT Sport compared to other GT games is a huge step up graphically, physics wise, sound wise, that of course they were never going to give you everything, just like Forza 5 didn't, and GT3 didn't.

I am glad I have played enough now to form my own verdict, and whilst I do think there's a lot to improve upon, I am not going to get drawn into the petty comments about this not being a full GT game simply because you can't buy used cars or car parts, when these individuals seem to completely forget that we have additional features never seen in a GT game before that were given to used instead. And if we could not have car liverys, but could upgrade cars, you would still be upset I believe. It's a no win no fee, and these things just take time. GT sport came quite late into the console life cycle also, which is probably why we didn't get another GT game.

After playing GT Sport now for a week, I think those complaining that the game is short on content are expecting the same, year on year. GT Sport has a League mode which takes a long time to get through, a driving school, mission challenges and of course a very deep sport mode. The only content that seems to be missing are more cars/tracks (still a lot here, just maybe not certain favourites) and there are no buying parts or used cars. And that's it. People don't like the campaign because it doesn't give you new cars, and there are no PSN trophies attached to it, but that's a minor.

I think people are absolutely barmy for calling GT Sport a 'spin off' or a 'shell of what it use to be' because it's just not true. Photo Scapes, Social Features, Livery Editor, these are all features that I would rather have compared to used cars right now, and when GT 7 comes out we will get a lot more content. But GT Sport compared to other GT games is a huge step up graphically, physics wise, sound wise, that of course they were never going to give you everything, just like Forza 5 didn't, and GT3 didn't.

I am glad I have played enough now to form my own verdict, and whilst I do think there's a lot to improve upon, I am not going to get drawn into the petty comments about this not being a full GT game simply because you can't buy used cars or car parts, when these individuals seem to completely forget that we have additional features never seen in a GT game before that were given to used instead. And if we could not have car liverys, but could upgrade cars, you would still be upset I believe. It's a no win no fee, and these things just take time. GT sport came quite late into the console life cycle also, which is probably why we didn't get another GT game.
One question... Why did you wait this long?

One question... Why did you wait this long?

Never got around to getting a PlayStation. Was just too busy I guess. But once I got the PS5, this was the first game I bought.
It’s not perfect, but no where near as bad as people made it out to be. I almost didn’t buy it because of people’s expectations getting a bit too carried away. But this thread helped me see that it’s not a bad game, just not as complete, which makes sense as it’s a new era. If GT3 came out today, there’d be just as much unrest I believe.

Some very good points in this thread.

Here is my opinion for what its worth.

I have owned every GT game. I bought my PS4 at launch(pretty much) to play gran turismo when it came out. I'm a filthy casual only really playing with a controller. I loved buying cars and upgrading them, playing with gear ratios etc to see how much I could push them to help me win races even with my lack of skill. Although I do try and race as cleanly as possible.

I live in Australia at the time of launch my internet speed was stuck 1.5Mbs now it's closer to 100. Being online focused killed this game for me. They then tacked on the campaign this helped but it still not enough. Great racing game. but GT sport never really felt like gran turismo to me. I couldn't even get into online races with my poor Internet back when it launched.

I was so upset and dissapointed with this game that I gave my PS4 away last year when the ps5 came out because I thought there was no chance of getting a proper GT release on PS4.

Now I have just re purchased a ps4 and am hanging on for GT7 (that I have pre ordered). This game means a lot to me and I'm sure it does for many who love the series. I think having a good strong online mode should not impact the classic gt gameplay it should compliment it. It should give players a place to go race when they inevitably get sick of the grind in GT mode plus cater to the sim racers there is no reason it can't do both.

Pretty sure GT7 will make or break me being a GT fan in the future. If we want more GT games then like it or not we need casual players to keep the sales high. Most console players tend to be more causal then their pc gamer counterparts.

Some very good points in this thread.

Here is my opinion for what its worth.

I have owned every GT game. I bought my PS4 at launch(pretty much) to play gran turismo when it came out. I'm a filthy casual only really playing with a controller. I loved buying cars and upgrading them, playing with gear ratios etc to see how much I could push them to help me win races even with my lack of skill. Although I do try and race as cleanly as possible.

I live in Australia at the time of launch my internet speed was stuck 1.5Mbs now it's closer to 100. Being online focused killed this game for me. They then tacked on the campaign this helped but it still not enough. Great racing game. but GT sport never really felt like gran turismo to me. I couldn't even get into online races with my poor Internet back when it launched.

I was so upset and dissapointed with this game that I gave my PS4 away last year when the ps5 came out because I thought there was no chance of getting a proper GT release on PS4.

Now I have just re purchased a ps4 and am hanging on for GT7 (that I have pre ordered). This game means a lot to me and I'm sure it does for many who love the series. I think having a good strong online mode should not impact the classic gt gameplay it should compliment it. It should give players a place to go race when they inevitably get sick of the grind in GT mode plus cater to the sim racers there is no reason it can't do both.

Pretty sure GT7 will make or break me being a GT fan in the future. If we want more GT games then like it or not we need casual players to keep the sales high. Most console players tend to be more causal then their pc gamer counterparts.
I can agree with almost everything you said. The only point I'll disagree with is being a great racing game. I think it's a great driving game if done correctly. There needs to be some fundamental changes to make it a great racing game. Perhaps different levels of racing including harshness of collisions, penalties, etc... Start with where Sport is now and give the option of competing on more unforgiving levels if desired. Or make AI far better than its current state. If AI was decent there would probably be far fewer people racing online. Which may be the reason AI may never change. Revenue is king.

No one would buy this game just for the offline campaign.
I would ! I have a PS3 with GT6, ok you have more content in the campaign mode, you get to play more with parts and tuning, but the gap in term of graphics, visuals, driving pleasure with GTS is huge.

Fingers crossed that GT7 will make everyone happy : keep an excellent online racing community + give an excellent solo campaign (looks promising so far)

GTSport is primarily an online driving game. That's what their big push was for this game, the SPORT part of motorsports. Competing against other people.

The people who complain were expecting the single player RPG element of past GT games. That's why people complain.

The problem with the online part is that 90% of people can't race clean to save their lives. They're just not skilled enough./don't know the rules of motorsports, etc.

So take that plus a penalty system that isn't 100% accurate in who and how it penalizes people and the result is a lot of people complaining about GTSport for a bunch of different reasons.

But if you play this game online with a group of friends who know how to drive, it's a lot of fun.
I think this about sums it up.

I think this about sums it up.
I think people like me really expected GT Sport to be the GT game for the PS4(perhaps incorrectly). It lined up with the 3ish yeah cycle of Proper GT releases being 4 years after GT6(2013) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_(series)

It will now be 9 years without a proper GT game. So I think saying they were focusing on sport is a bit of a cop out. Perhaps the felt that should be the direction GT should go. But with a bit of backlash from GT fans they moved back to numbered releases.

I have no friends who play racing games. GT sport was a waste for anyone who wanted to play single player. Im sure there are plenty like me. If I did have firends that played im sure the game would be much more enjoyable.

I think people like me really expected GT Sport to be the GT game for the PS4(perhaps incorrectly). It lined up with the 3ish yeah cycle of Proper GT releases being 4 years after GT6(2013) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_(series)

It will now be 9 years without a proper GT game. So I think saying they were focusing on sport is a bit of a cop out. Perhaps the felt that should be the direction GT should go. But with a bit of backlash from GT fans they moved back to numbered releases.

I have no friends who play racing games. GT sport was a waste for anyone who wanted to play single player. Im sure there are plenty like me. If I did have firends that played im sure the game would be much more enjoyable.

It was hardly a waste. I barely played it online and had lots of fun with it. Great cars and great tracks that were fun to drive.

Last edited:
1 player entertainment value may be lacking. But as a driving/racing tool it's very deep. And for the most part comparable to dedicated sims.

The Driving School, Missions and Circuit Experience are very under appreciated I think. Most people play it like a game with stages, once completed it's done.

But in theory you can improve infinitely. ie comparing online times and chasing ghosts are a great way to improve.

Just started this week. I haven’t played GT since GT2 in the 90s so it certainly doesnt seem small. Games are just way too big these days. Ever start an open world game and zoom out on the map and just think, ‘sod that’!

I'd take it to another level and get rid of the credit system for cars, it's asinine. Just give us access to the cars. Maybe use credits for upgrades and mods etc but for the base car, don't make me grind, it is joyless and just means the game takes months before i can enjoy all of it.

Any road car slower than say a base 911, no idea why we bother, just taking up development time and budget. Same for trucks, rally, etc ..... focus PD, focus. They're like a 5 year old on sugar.
Did you ever play shuffle mode on previous GTs? Some of the best racing with the 'slow" cars.

Last edited:
We have slow cars all the time in Daily Race A. There's slow then there's just annoying. A bog stock corolla is much less fun to race than a bog stock 997 carrera and in the context of the game it still feels slow enough. IMHO of course.

We have slow cars all the time in Daily Race A. There's slow then there's just annoying. A bog stock corolla is much less fun to race than a bog stock 997 carrera and in the context of the game it still feels slow enough. IMHO of course.
I agree with this but if the grids were mixed, the slow cars would be as much fun as the fast cars.

Other As...... Players are Point Number 1 to 1000 what makes this Game so Hatefull. AND if you get Ban for x Days you cant do anything. Also you cant close your Abo on PSN Network.. that means you lost Money for NOTHING.

Every slow car is fun on comfort hard tyres. I would personally love CH races regardless of the car. If anyone is running them, look me up.

Back