Why drive the META, when you can drive your favourite?

Thing is, most people don't understand why that particular car is the meta for that track, that's why they "monkey see monkey do"
I remember at a Monza daily race someone set the fastest time on a Huracan so half the field were Huracans (the other Mustangs)
Needless to say the Mustangs decimated the Huracans

This isn't limited to GTS either- it's a problem of games in general. If people understamd why that car is the meta, then they can deconstruct why it's so and figure out a similar car, or better yet, an anti-meta.

For example, why is the Peugeot VGT the meta for Tokyo, but at Monza it's the Mustang?

I think the VGT is fast at Tokyo because it has real good acceleration and good top speed but probably not the best cornering car, I have never driven it except 1 race at Tokyo. Many of the tracks dont really seem to have a META car unless the META's are only fast for aliens. Most of the time I will try a couple different cars at the daily tracks after putting in a good 30-45 minutes of practice in 1 car. Usually I dont find but a couple of tenths difference in the cars which would probably be negated with more practice time. Maybe I dont see a big difference because I am not an alien yet, you can almost set your watch that I will be 2 seconds off the top of the leader board at most tracks. Easier tracks will be a little less, BB yesterday I was less than 2/10ths from the top spot, I think if I would have had time to keep practicing I would have found it, every few laps I would find a couple hundredths or so pretty consistent. Some cars stop better, some turn better, some accelerate better, etc.. but it seems that there are more than 1 or 2 cars that are strong in a single area, sometimes the car can feel completely wrong but if you change your driving habits you can put in the same lap times as a car that suits you better.

I think the VGT is fast at Tokyo because it has real good acceleration and good top speed but probably not the best cornering car, I have never driven it except 1 race at Tokyo. Many of the tracks dont really seem to have a META car unless the META's are only fast for aliens. Most of the time I will try a couple different cars at the daily tracks after putting in a good 30-45 minutes of practice in 1 car. Usually I dont find but a couple of tenths difference in the cars which would probably be negated with more practice time. Maybe I dont see a big difference because I am not an alien yet, you can almost set your watch that I will be 2 seconds off the top of the leader board at most tracks. Easier tracks will be a little less, BB yesterday I was less than 2/10ths from the top spot, I think if I would have had time to keep practicing I would have found it, every few laps I would find a couple hundredths or so pretty consistent. Some cars stop better, some turn better, some accelerate better, etc.. but it seems that there are more than 1 or 2 cars that are strong in a single area, sometimes the car can feel completely wrong but if you change your driving habits you can put in the same lap times as a car that suits you better.
Yup, you're correct at the VGT :)
For me driving cars that aren't close to the META would cost me around half a second so yeah :(
Cars that have negligible effects on lap times on a certain track for me are the ones that are similar to the META. Like the Ferrari at Suzuka since it's an agile car

Back