Why drive the META, when you can drive your favourite?

I wanted the Atenza when I first saw pics at launch. wasn't the fastest, but I like the Super Tourer aspect of it. Now, I use the gr.4 86 and Evo, as I don't see many when i race. I'll also add, I've found both cars to be easier and fun to drive harder and faster, than the Atenza.
I’ve always wanted to try the 86 but I don’t want to betray my beloved Viper. :(

Last edited:
I guess I qualify as a META driver.
I don't always pick a car based on what is #1, but I will always pick a car that is competitive, but it also has to be a car I get along with.

For example, I love driving the 911 gr.3, but I cannot for the life of me get that car through Bathurst (my best/favorite track), I lose the car through the downhill section so badly I'm assuming because it's a MR because my FR cars are stable through there.
So I'll usually drive the Lancer (before the buff, haven't driven it since), the new Lexus or the Corvette.
On other tracks if the 911 is good - I'll drive it (mostly because I love it and have by far the most KM's on it for gr.3).

I'm usually about 1.5 seconds off the #1 time depending how insane it is.

I do agree with this I use the viper primarily because I like it and its usually what I'm fastest in

but I don't like how you can hot lap your qualify in one car switch to another still be in a high start position in the actual race but use a different car that you are clearly slower in....

I usually qualify top 3-8 in any race but half the time either have to wait out someone who is clearly slower in front using a different unfamiliar car and is all over the place... Or get punted by someone behind because they don't know the break points for that car they are using to have fun in.... After qualifying with a meta car as you put it.

In other words you should have to use the car you set your qualify time in, if you don't have a quilify time in the car you entered then you start in the back or use the car you qualified with or skip a race and set one in that car.

I feel in some sr s, race c....this causes mayhem on the first lap and it is caused by ppl using unfamiliar cars with a qualify time they set in a different car often

Some people who are not very good (me) do use the same car that we qualified in. Only other variable is you don't have other cars breathing down your neck - so the pressure and intensity of the race usually slows me down. Also, I am more cautious in a race because one spinout and I am at the back....versus in qualifying I can push my limits since I can just reset when I go off the track. Once I get in the groove, I usually beat my qualifying time but the first two laps I am maybe 1 second off.

Thats what i do & if one or more of my favourite's become Meta's i find another car mostly in GR.1 ,Cough ehm (I hate how OP 919 Hybrid is it need's a nerf)
& many more examples like this.

Made the mistake a couple times using the meta car and regretted it in the race, I’m a much better hot lapper in all honesty than racer and that gives me the false impression that I’m comfortable with it then fail massively come race time.

For me generally I stick to the Atenza and the 911 RSR (since launch), I can drive most cars ok but some can’t click with, can’t stand FF cars just don’t like that exit never ending understeer!! To my knowledge the Atenza only had one BOP adjustment since release that was this week, yet now it’s a meta car??

I like to be different, (deliberately obtuse perhaps?) so normally avoid the obvious choice. Apart from the Atenza at Interlagos: I've always used it there as it handles all those bloody 1st gear hairpins so well. Used to be rare but recent BoP changes must have improved it? And I've tried a few gr1 cars but like the feel of the 919

For Brands gr3 it's the Vantage for me no question, love driving it there, don't care how fast it is (almost a 911 one-make last time out) I've a great replay where I clipped the outside kerb braking for dingle dell and took the corner completely sideways twice in a row! Looked ace from the following car's view. Any other car i've tried i would have been off there.

Nurb gp gr3 I go for the Lexus as it's sooo good on the brakes for the hairpin and final chicane... I do find myself bouncing it off the limiter though.

Learning Suzuka I tried all my usual cars and just couldn't get it right so tried the 911 for the first time. I'd deliberately avoided using it as it's a bit of a clitoris in the daily races, but quickly realised why people like it... very easy to drive. I can see why it's so popular at Brands now

In gr4 it's a toss up between the viper vantage or Atenza... not a big fan of gr4 though

I don't care too much about winning races... i play as i enjoy close racing with other drivers. Racing AI is boring no matter how good it is. Don't care about dr/sr either

Come to think about it, the more I race the less I care about the meta. I started using the 911 because it was a monster. Then, it got nerfed and people use all sorts of car, but I'm just so used to it that I usually stick to it. Even managed a second place with it at Blue Moon in Manufacturers Cup. Same thing with the 919. I used it because it's a super-fast one lapper around Nurb GP. I got so used to managing the hybrid system and its 4 wheel drive when exiting corners, that now I drive it it everywhere. Dragon Trail, Suzuka, Kyoto. Gr.2 is too new, so I don't know my weapon of choice yet, and that makes Gr.4 the only place where I kind of don't care about the cars too much, so I'll choose one META.

I've always used it there as it handles all those bloody 1st gear hairpins so well. Used to be rare but recent BoP changes must have improved it?

The Atenza was nerfed in last BOP so should be worse, and willing to bet because it’s so popular it will get nerfed again!

Much like the 4c, was dominant at one track (brands) because it handles great on a technical track but that was nerfed back again in a week, but it wasn’t OP just suits that track!

Depends so much on the time I have each night. If I got 2-3 hours I might try out a couple of cars I see in the top10 before going to my favorite. Lately I've found I'm always faster in the Citroen. I wonder why people don't use it more. It's very nice on Lago. In my hands it's faster through the S-curves than any other.

I never drive BMW's or FF-cars..

I have been driving the crap out of the Citroen Group 3 and 4 cars for the last month or so. The car just drives easy, plus it sounds great unlike the Group 4 M4.
I think I own all of the Group 3 and 4 cars so I try them all out. If I find one I like I will try it for a race or 2. Sometimes I will run a daily 3 or 4 times in a row with a different car each time. Speaking of the Gr86 I had to use in a manufacturers cup race at Monza last week, qualified 4th with it and won the race. Normally its not a car I would even consider using at Monza cause you get freight trained down the straights, I dont think there is a slower top speed car but I could get thru corners real nice and I kept on track the entire race.

Last edited:
I'm DR B and I really doubt the meta is that relevant to me, when clearly I'm not even pushing my current car to it's limits. I might care about the meta if I was DR S or competing for cash but otherwise I'll stick with cars that I know.

Totally agree with the OP. I'm most consistent in the FR's, and seem to do best in the Gr.4 Mustang and Gr.3 Vette. 'Stang is very balanced and has great visibility. M4 feels like it's always one compound softer, but I'm usually a touch quicker in the Pony. Look for the silver "RAYS" livery...

OK so prompted by another thread, I posted a shortened comment of what id like to post here.

The META, (Most Effective Tactic Available, for those that don't know) usually occupies at least 9 out of 10 times on the leaderboard, sometimes admirably ignored by one bold alien. Interlagos yesterday was all Atenza for GR4, today at Suzuka it's all 911s for GR3. Ok not the best comparison with different groups, but simply put, each car suits a certain track. Hence why if you want to make the leaderboard, you use the META. Easy, right?

So you've got yourself a great qualifying time using the META car, so what if you spun out on 70% of your laps, you got a great time, it's race time and you're starting 5th. You're already eyeing up a podium finish, you successfully navigate yourself around half a lap with a Hyundai breathing down your neck and suddenly you've spun out because you're using a car you're uncomfortable with, while the guy driving his favourite Hyundai goes sailing past, leaving you to question why you're even using "The Best Car" to begin with.

"This car is awful", you might think.. "I'd be better off in the WRX!"

So why are you using this so called "META" car to begin with? Quick story, I spent two x 30 minute sessions qualifying in the 911 RSR today because it was the META car, well guess what? I beat it by .500 in the Viper on my first go because it's my favourite. Guess what again, I beat it AGAIN using the NSX because I love the car and decided to use it after receiving a slight buff.

TL;DR (This is the bit where I summarise what I'm trying to say) Don't use the car that has number one spot in the leaderboard, use the car that you love to drive, use the car that you won't spin under pressure. Sure, get the best qualifying time you can by any means possible if it means you start 8th instead of 13th, but when it comes to race time you want to be driving old reliable, and you'll enjoy it far more. Because enjoyment is the name of the game.
I always use the car i like, but that changes with the direction of the wind, one day i might be racing BMW's, the next its all about Benz.
One thing i will say is i dont like being beaten by the META car.
I think they may have re-adjusted the BoP for it but i remember everyone using the Renault Megane in Gr4 because it was faster on straights for... Reasons...
Not only do i find it a very ugly/boring car ( "oh wow, a FF hatchback! Im amazed) but, i also race in the Americas region, where that car, along with any other French car, is not, and probably wont be available. So who from North or South America in all honesty can say that Renault is there favorite manufacturer?

Now if they only allowed tuning, wouldn't that shake things up a lot? ;-) Especially in one make races ;-)
I really hope they don't allow tuning because I'd never win another race, lol. I just end up.ruining cars when i tune them (unless its for drift)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use the car i like, but that changes with the direction of the wind, one day i might be racing BMW's, the next its all about Benz.
One thing i will say is i dont like being beaten by the META car.
I think they may have re-adjusted the BoP for it but i remember everyone using the Renault Megane in Gr4 because it was faster on straights for... Reasons...
Not only do i find it a very ugly/boring car ( "oh wow, a FF hatchback! Im amazed) but, i also race in the Americas region, where that car, along with any other French car, is not, and probably wont be available. So who from North or South America in all honesty can say that Renault is there favorite manufacturer?
All the Renault is good at is running away at the straights

Not all too unfamiliar with their history... Whoops :P

All the Renault is good at is running away at the straights

Not all too unfamiliar with their history... Whoops :P
Yup, thats why i hate losing to it. I once finished second five times in a row to different Meganes at Bathurst, they would just block in the narrow hilly sections, and run away on the straights.
Personally, if i win purely on straight line speed i dont consider it a win

Yup, thats why i hate losing to it. I once finished second five times in a row to different Meganes at Bathurst, they would just block in the narrow hilly sections, and run away on the straights.
Personally, if i win purely on straight line speed i dont consider it a win
At the twistier tracks the Meganes should be behind, but yeah at Bathurst they were the meta for a while, then disappeared, but then popped up again
Considering that Bathurst's only reliable overtaking points are after long straights... Yeah rip :(
Try your luck at future dailies with different tracks, these Meganes should be gone

I think the cars are very well balanced right now and some are better at certain tracks (how it should be). I've battled many different cars that qualified near me and we were faster in certain areas but still pretty even. They'll gain half a second on the straights and i'll gain about the same through the turns or vice versa but at the finish line, we stay even. It comes down to fuel saving, pit strategy, tire preservation, and consistency. IMO, the sport racing right now is awesome. Crap still happens but overall it's great.

Monza was a good example, as everyone and their mothers drove the Mustang.
Except me, I thought I had to pick the 458 for a classic italian track. :embarrassed: And guess what, I won against all those META scrubs! Well, in one race at least, the other 2 races I got punted of the track as usual.

But I always try to change up my car choices. It would just bore me to death if I had to drive the same car in every race.
Also, people cry about the lack of content, but always drive the same car!? Thats one thing I dont get in my head... :odd:

When i have the possibility, i don't care about win rate in sport mode, i use to rotate theb cars.
For example if I race 10 race with gr.4 i
Except me, I thought I had to pick the 458 for a classic italian track. :embarrassed: And guess what, I won against all those META scrubs! Well, in one race at least, the other 2 races I got punted of the track as usual.

But I always try to change up my car choices. It would just bore me to death if I had to drive the same car in every race.
Also, people cry about the lack of content, but always drive the same car!? Thats one thing I dont get in my head... :odd:

one of my best day in GTS was when i won three times a race with different cars ...

IR

General "rule" is to use whatever you want. If your favorite car is part of the meta it's ok.
Lots of people love Porsche so i don't blame them, big plus if they enkoy racing it.
I used to drive the Veyron gr.4 before getting buffed because i never saw a racing version of a bugatti and really wanted to use it. It was still decent but i could see why no one picked it (also hoping for a gr3 version).
Now driving the lancer because i remember how much i loved Need for Speed Most Wanted Earl's car. Good or not!

It's been covered before here but winning with a .5-1 second a lap slower car than the Meta will not happen in the very top lobbies. At lower levels though car choice does not matter quite as much, as guys not used to driving the meta car will pick it because leaderboards and then drive poorly enough to give other more consistent drivers in other, technically slower cars, a chance.

I wouldn't mind using different cars all the time, instead of using the Porsche a lot for example but if I'd do I'm then going to get put smack bang in the middle of the pack, still at the top level and that is probably the worst place to be anyway and that is then multiplied by being in a different car to most of them.

Hopefully one day the BOP is better and more importantly stable, I can then get to know a few other, not seen as often, cars and run competitively in them but until then I have to take the word of the best drivers on which is the best car (or sometimes a choice of a few cars) to drive. :)

458 is a power car in Gr3, so it should really be competitive at Monza anyway. The Gr4 in theory is relatively weaker there considering the straight line speed of the RC-F yet I still got a top split win with it (strategy aided, but still right near the top of the leaderboards).

I liked the op to this thread and is a subject close to heart because one thing I really dislike in the leaderboards is seeing everyone
use the META car.

Admitedly I am guilty of this myself but some of the time it just happens to be a car I particularly like to drive (like the 911 RSR) but I do try
to use my own cars that I know I can handle.

Yesterday is a classic example though it was the META car but around Mount Panorama I tried to use the Lambo Hurrican and ended up having
a very poor 2:23 lap time so then switched to the Megane Gr4 car and after a bit of practice laps came back with a time of 2:16.

I know leaderboards are kinda important to people and seeing their name up top but for me qualifying time trials are not the best part of the
race because I know in my heart and head it comes down to what happens on the track in the race.

Another example is yesterday's online race at Interlagos, I qualified well with a 7th place start in the Veyron and then *wham* punted off in the
first corner by a car in front being too slow and one behind too fast and that was race ruined, last place for the rest of the race.

Maybe the META car is only the META car because 1 alien sets a fast time then everyone follows suit rather than trying other cars. Just sayin maybe its possible?? I was a long 2/10ths from making the top 10 at BB oval this morning but I set pretty much the same time in 4 different cars, the fastest one (by only 5/100ths) was not the META car.

Maybe the META car is only the META car because 1 alien sets a fast time then everyone follows suit rather than trying other cars. Just sayin maybe its possible?? I was a long 2/10ths from making the top 10 at BB oval this morning but I set pretty much the same time in 4 different cars, the fastest one (by only 5/100ths) was not the META car.
You got a point there
I think car choice is a lot of "monkey see monkey do". At least when it comes to some of the less skilled drivers (like myself)
In my experience the META car doesn't always get me better results, especially if i don't like the drivetrain layout. So i just drive what i like
Also my custom liveries have a lot to do with what car i pick. I know the Corvette isn't that great in Gr4 but i really like my Dale Earnhardt Sr. livery i made for it so i use it quite often

FYI- Today, April 29th 2018, would have been Dale Earnhardt's 67th birthday!

You got a point there
I think car choice is a lot of "monkey see monkey do". At least when it comes to some of the less skilled drivers (like myself)
In my experience the META car doesn't always get me better results, especially if i don't like the drivetrain layout. So i just drive what i like
Also my custom liveries have a lot to do with what car i pick. I know the Corvette isn't that great in Gr4 but i really like my Dale Earnhardt Sr. livery i made for it so i use it quite often

Yes sir, you are correct, 67 he would be i think?
I am usually fastest in my Citroen GR4, its my favorite car for some reason, I guess i just like the way it drives. In Group 3 I like Emil Frey Lexus, it used to be the Vette cause it stops so well regardless of the META car.

You got a point there

Thing is, most people don't understand why that particular car is the meta for that track, that's why they "monkey see monkey do"
I remember at a Monza daily race someone set the fastest time on a Huracan so half the field were Huracans (the other Mustangs)
Needless to say the Mustangs decimated the Huracans

This isn't limited to GTS either- it's a problem of games in general. If people understamd why that car is the meta, then they can deconstruct why it's so and figure out a similar car, or better yet, an anti-meta.

For example, why is the Peugeot VGT the meta for Tokyo, but at Monza it's the Mustang?

Back