Why GT3 is considered the best?

• Thread starter o000o
  • 91 comments
Indonesia
Indonesia
Don't mock me plz if you think I don't understand GT3 is the best
But I'm just curious why most of GT players
Consider GT3 is the best ever GT created over all and the most well received by GT community
If everything ever good about GT is mentioned, 'GT3' word will appear

IMO
GT4 is a huge step forward towards GT3
Almost everything in it is better than GT3 and also a lot more of content
Better menu screen (GT3 was lacking IMO)
Lots of more cars (Don't bother about duplicates)
Lots of events, and not repetitive like in GT3
Additions of Mission Races and Photo Mode
Etc.

And compared to GT2...
Sure GT3 has FAR graphical advantage
But I find myself to enjoy GT2 more because of it's content
GT2 has lots more of interesting cars, and tracks (Except Complex String and SSR11)
And it also has race mods
Events maybe less than GT3 but it's not repetitive

Doesn't mean GT3 is a bad game
GT3 is a great game compared to most other racing games
But...If compared to another GT, IMO GT3 feels lacking
Yet many GT fans's favorite is GT3

Is there any real reason why GT3 is the favorite of almost all GT fan?

I Agree, i think GT4 is more complete when compared to GT3 or even GT5 and GT6, GT3 had better reviews than any Gran Turismo game because GT3 was released in the early early 2000's (Actually in 2001) and the game had good graphics and technology for that time and everyone was so impressed with that amazing graphics, heck, you could even see the heat in the air on replay mode, but in my opinion GT2 and GT4 was the best Games of the Gran Turismo series.

GT4's physics don't seem as great as GT3's to me. Though GT4 does seem more complete than GT3 (car and track wise).
Yeah, I prefer GT3's physics. I think some people like GT3 the best because it's simpler than the later installments started to get. No long endurance races (Okay, GT6 doesn't have any either), no silly gimmicks like experience points, just straightforward racing. It may be lacking in terms of cars compared to other entries in the series, but the gameplay is there. And unlike GT4 and 5, there aren't any unbearably long endurance races, which I'm sure some people wouldn't like. The longest single race in the third game, the Tokyo R246 endurance, can be beaten in under 3 hours (which isn't too long by my standards) in a GT500 car. It took be about 2:48 in a GT500 NSX. And Tokyo is a fun track.

This is why, we dont even have ground reflections like this in GT5/6 because they take up waaay too much space if they were converted to HD, same goes with the awesome shimmering heat being thrown up from the surface of the track.

I played GT4 about 4 years longer than GT3 overall, but GT3 was still better, and I swear to god it had better graphics than GT4 because there was a whole lot less cars & tracks in the game.

Also it had Special Stage Route-11 & Complex String my most loved tracks!

The menu sound effects, the menu music, the menu art & UI, the race & replay music, the replays, the camera angles, the cars, the races, the challenges, it was the most refined GT game of them all in my opinion, sure it had less of everything, but it was all soo perfectly refined probably because of its lack of cars & tracks in comparison, yet it still had a **** load of them, were all something that would be chizzled into your memory for eternity.

These videos say it all:

Funny how I feel incredibly lonely on a track in a full lobby of 16 in GT5 & 6, while playing GT3 & GT4 minuets later, I feel I'm in a packed and fully-loaded race even though the races only have 6-8 cars on the track.

Hmmmm, maybe its because back then it was a CHALLENGE because a CHALLENGE was really damn fun, and the AI were not a bunc of A-holes, and they were actually smart about racing alongside with you.

Last edited:
GT4's career mode wasn't as good as GT3's.
IMO GT3's not great because some of the races are repeated (FF, FR, MR, 4WD Challenge, GT World Championship)

@ZedMan1996 No offense but the menu art & UI, the cars, the races in GT3 aren't THAT great to me (Especially the UI), even i like the UI in GT2 better...

Last edited:
GT3's main feather in its cap from UI (even though it is obviously a product of its time) was that it was fast. Fast to load, fast/easy to navigate through, fast fast fast. It probably wouldn't work for a game with a scope larger than GT3's (though there has to be a middle ground between the straightforward and quick to navigate menu of GT3 and the bacon and ham disaster that was GT4's), but for what GT3 had it was about perfect.

GT3 is considered best? Interesting. It remains my least favorite GT, for many reasons. The only area which I consider it "best" is its replay system. I love all the options between viewing just the top car, or random cars, or the fixed options.

But for a lot of reasons, it's my least favorite.

I'd say GT4's actual career structure was better. Possibly even the best in the series. But the actual gameplay wasn't as good, due to regressions in physics and AI.

I agree. I like GT4's career mode better than 3.

There are a number of reasons why GT3 is my favourite:
The racing is hard, the AI really want to win.
The career races are a decent length and most importantly include pit stops.
The rally races don't have penalties and have the best tracks.
The endurance races are all a good length.
The best 'arcade type' handling (better than GT4 anyway).

I'm going to admit now that I've never played GT1 or GT2, so I'll admit that they could be better. GT4 was a real disappoinment to me, while I appreciated the extra cars and some of the new tracks, I didn't enjoy the racing as much. Some of the races Polyphony Digital Cup for example, were ruined for me.

GT3 was the biggest leap for GT in my opinion.
Cons:
Yes the car list was smaller (400-500 (I think) to 120)

Pros:

The track list and detail was much better than GT2
Cars were far more detailed and all looked amazing for a 2001 game, they even look pretty good today
Huge tuning options
Giant career mode
Great arcade mode that actually gave you something to work towards
Brilliant overall soundtrack (Best in the series IMO)
LAN Multiplayer
Great car list
Competitive AI
Proper rally and endurance events

In my opinion, I prefer the retro feel of the old black and orange GTs. (GT, GT2, GT3, GT Concept) GT3 was the most advanced of the classic GTs. I always liked GT3 better but liked that GT4 had more cars and tracks. I always liked GT3 better as it was my first ever PlayStation game, but was always conflicted as to whether GT3 or 4 was actually the better game.

For this reason, I've always wanted GT Concept. GT3 with GT4's cars.

Also, GT3's arcade mode was awesome. GT4's was too, but I just wish it had a progression system like GT3's (I'm not counting the way GT/sim mode influences what you can do in arcade mode, because it gives no reason to actually play arcade mode).

And GT4's career mode was much better in every way.

GT3 was my very first GT game back in 2008. I played it for a very short time, I lend it to one guy and it never came back, I don't think he even has this game anymore. I wasn't really sad because I got GT4 which has just more content. I still liked GT3 car handling more, I don't know why. But look, in 2001 when this game came it's graphics were jaw-dropping for sure, it still looks great to this day and it's 14 years old. I think it was revolutionary and that's why it may be considered as the best Gran Turismo. But GT2 had so many cool cars (I have never played GT2 in my childhood), and it came at time when games had 20-max cars. GT1 was way ahead of it's time in terms of cars count as well.

GT3 was my very first GT game back in 2008. I played it for a very short time, I lend it to one guy and it never came back, I don't think he even has this game anymore. I wasn't really sad because I got GT4 which has just more content. I still liked GT3 car handling more, I don't know why. But look, in 2001 when this game came it's graphics were jaw-dropping for sure, it still looks great to this day and it's 14 years old. I think it was revolutionary and that's why it may be considered as the best Gran Turismo. But GT2 had so many cool cars (I have never played GT2 in my childhood), and it came at time when games had 20-max cars. GT1 was way ahead of it's time in terms of cars count as well.
The way I see it-
GT3: better game
GT4: better content

Best way of putting it. Imagine the physics of GT3 with the content of GT4!
YES YES, AND A MILLION TIMES YES! What Polyphony Digital should've done was keep the original GT3-like physics they had in GT4 Prologue instead of creating a brand new one.

Back