Why GT4's car acquisition system was much better than GT5's.

  • Thread starter Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 48 comments
  • 6,720 views

MustangRyan

GTP NASCAR Sprint Cup
Premium
Messages
5,629
United States
North Carolina
Messages
Droptop2001gt
In GT4, every car in the game could be found in a manufacturer's dealership at all times, even if it was a prize car that you could not purchase. 👍

Every car manufacturer in the game is represented with a permanently visible dealership. 👍

The dealerships are all broken down by country, making it easier to buy cars for country-specific events. 👍

All cars could be sold, regardless of price. 👍

You could duplicate your own cars by purchasing cars from a game save in memory card slot 2, but it actually cost you credits to do this. 👍

The biggest problem with GT4 is that it was way too easy to generate credits, because you could continually win prize cars again and again from every event. GT5 actually fixed this, by making every prize car available only once per event. 👍

But, they screwed up everything else listed above that made sense.

If it wasn't for the internet, I still wouldn't know that the S7, or even Saleen, were present in GT5. I've never seen an S7 in my used dealership, along with countless other cars.

Had they just left it so that you could buy most cars at a dealership, and added an online auction house that allowed players to buy and sell cars using in-game credits, the system would have been perfect. Oh well...
 
Last edited:
German Touring Car Championship + B-spec x3 + Zombie bob (he was totally consistent though) + all the prize cr + CLK-GTR as a prize car = +800,000cr in 15 minutes or less.


And not necessarily. Some cars were "hidden" and only won through certain races. I do however, support the idea of re-acquirable prize cars. Or least being able to sell the really expensive ones (instead of the game just getting rid of them for nothing in return).
 
That really bugs me. I should be able to sell a car I buy. The Suzuki Escudo is a prime example. You cannot sell the car after you purchase it, and this time around, it sucks.

There are numerous other cars you cannot sell like the Formula Gran Turismo, etc.

So dumb.
 
Here's a scenario that is very likely to play out in GT5:

While competing in a high-level race, I compete against an AI car I find interesting. Let's say it's a Pescarolo C60 Hybrid. I have 7.5M credits, so I go looking for one.

There is no Pescarolo dealership.

There are no Pescarolos in the used car dealership.

There are no Pescarolos in the online car dealership.

I can't find a Pescarolo C60 listed as a prize car, because the game has way too few events.

I continue to play the game in the hopes that the the UCD will grant my wish in one of those few 30 spaces.

I find another car I've been wanting to try out, a Bentley Speed 8. I purchase the Bentley, restore it, perform a turbo upgrade, purchase tires, and purchase the chassis reinforcement.

I enter a championship event. Upon completion, I find a Pescarolo C60 in the last day's slot of the UCD.

I can't afford it.

I can't enter any events without losing the chance to buy the car.

I can't get even 100 credits out of a car that I just invested over 5M credits.

An online auction house would enable me to sell the Bentley, or some of the other prize cars that have a zero value. It would also allow me to find and purchase that Pescarolo I want much more quickly.

Buyers actually spend money to expand their collections, sellers actually gain money from cars they don't want, and everyone has more incentive to actually sit down and play the game, because they need credits.

It's win-win-win. Thus, I'm sure we'll never see it happen.
 
online auction or what the OP said, or pretty much anything would have been better than the current method.

I know what you mean OP, it would have been amazing to see every 1010 cars in their respective dealerships righ from the beggining of the game. However just because you can view it does NOT mean you should be able to buy it.


Something like SEGA Gt 2002 would have been good, where you can see cars even if they are not for sale.
 
It's win-win-win. Thus, I'm sure we'll never see it happen.
I was going to contribute to the thread, but your attitude just made me scrap a post. It's people like you that make this place like a drug neighborhood more each day, and making the long time thoughtful posters avoid this place.

Thank you for helping to kill a really nice community. 👎
 
I would be happy if all cars could be in museum mode! you can look but you cant touch :) buy those cars only in USD store like nowdays.. but be able to check them all out would be cool in museum.. even better.. it would be great if PD created virtual museum where you can walk around and see all cars like in real life museum.. and only some of them could buy.. the rare ones would be able to buy only after some time in USD. (Pity Dupe cheat spoils alot of that.)

and I would be happy if the old country style like in GT4 would be back dealerships - USA, German, Japan, UK, France, Italy etc. would be awesome!
 
In GT4, every car in the game could be found in a manufacturer's dealership at all times, even if it was a prize car that you could not purchase. 👍

This is wrong, quite far off the mark infact.
 
This is wrong, quite far off the mark infact.
Would you agree that the percentage of cars viewable in the GT4 dealerships is significantly higher than the 25% in GT5?
 
This thread is full of so much win.

The UCD sucks because it's a half implemented idea. The other half would have been a fully functional online auction house where cars can be traded for others cars and/or credits.

The way I see it, PD have 3 options:

1) Remove the £1million limit of gifting to allow duping on expensive cars again (I don't agree with it, but it's necessary if they don't do one of the other two)
2) Open up the UCD to allow the purchase of any car at any time
3) Implement the online marketplace system that was implied as a major feature in press releases for the game as far back as 2006.
 
Last edited:
It's one off those stupid mistakes made by PD and Kaz.

On the other hand i think it has more too do with the Premium/Standard cars discussion. I mean seriously could you guys imagine that they would show us all the terrible Standards in the Dealership where you could see the cars in the Night/Daytime menu.

I understand why they did it but it is a big big fail.

I'm now waiting till the FGT arrives i've been waiting for it 4 weeks. :grumpy:
 
I think they were just trying to add a bit of "realism" into the game as you can't buy any cars before 2010 in the dealerships anymore (for the most part) and you have to go to a used car lot. Granted they do have some decent older cars in the new dealership completely ruins that theory though.
 
Simple solution though, just have all premiums in a "new" car showroom, with lighting options, and bring back the "used" car showroom inside the dealerships for the standard models, just like in GT4.
 
Simple solution though, just have all premiums in a "new" car showroom, with lighting options, and bring back the "used" car showroom inside the dealerships for the standard models, just like in GT4.

+1 Loved the Make specfic New/Used Car dealership in GT2 I know that is going back to the stone age but it would be nice to see it again. But I know it would be a HUGE undertaking.
 
You bumped a thread nearly two years old just to say that?
 
You bumped a thread nearly two years old just to say that?
But what would you say if he had opened a new thread? :indiff:
 
+1 Loved the Make specfic New/Used Car dealership in GT2 I know that is going back to the stone age but it would be nice to see it again. But I know it would be a HUGE undertaking.

I also loved all the make specific races GT2 had when you were in the dealership, I think it was GT2 anyway
 
I also loved all the make specific races GT2 had when you were in the dealership, I think it was GT2 anyway


I think you mean the One Make Races in GT4 that were in most dealerships. I liked them too as it gave you some new/unique races to do when you didn't want to do a Championship race or whatever..
 
SimonK
You bumped a thread nearly two years old just to say that?

I like it when old threads are bumped gives me new threads to read especially the ones where the last poster was beforebi joined.
 
Eks


I think you mean the One Make Races in GT4 that were in most dealerships. I liked them too as it gave you some new/unique races to do when you didn't want to do a Championship race or whatever..
Indeed, sadly lacking. :odd:
These were great races to break the regular racing, even though it often required the purchase of that particular manufacturer, sometimes never to be used again. :confused:
Sorry to keep this going guys, but yes....it is better than starting/opening a new thread, yes?
 
Sorry to keep this going guys, but yes....it is better than starting/opening a new thread, yes?
Doesn't really matter, there will always be people who complain. So yeah, it's alright.
 
Eks


I think you mean the One Make Races in GT4 that were in most dealerships. I liked them too as it gave you some new/unique races to do when you didn't want to do a Championship race or whatever..

GT5 has one-make races in the Practice section of GT Mode.


Doesn't really matter, there will always be people who complain. So yeah, it's alright.

👍

Old thread is bumped. It happens, and it's OK. What's done is done. Why should anyone's comments relevant to a thread topic be restricted simply because the last post is old? The thread is not closed.
 
GT4's one-make races are slightly different to GT5's.

GT5's puts you against multiple clones of the car you're driving, but in different colours. GT4's puts you against cars that are in the same family. So you had Skyline races where you'd be against the different generations of Skylines. The Type R races where you'd be against not just the Civic Type R, but the Integra, Accord and NSX too. Then the Roadster event where you raced against different versions of the MX-5, which is now just a regular A-Spec race in GT5.

GT4 just had better events in general and as far as buying cars goes, GT4's multiple UCD's made finding cars a lot easier. If you wanted a 1988 Supra, you'd go to the 80's UCD. If you wanted a 1992 Supra, you'd go to the Early 90's UCD and if you wanted the 1997 Supra, you'd go to the Late 90's UCD. Much better than trying to find them all from the same list in the unorganized UCD that we have now.
 
VTiRoj
GT4's one-make races are slightly different to GT5's.

GT5's puts you against multiple clones of the car you're driving, but in different colours. GT4's puts you against cars that are in the same family. So you had Skyline races where you'd be against the different generations of Skylines. The Type R races where you'd be against not just the Civic Type R, but the Integra, Accord and NSX too. Then the Roadster event where you raced against different versions of the MX-5, which is now just a regular A-Spec race in GT5.

GT4 just had better events in general and as far as buying cars goes, GT4's multiple UCD's made finding cars a lot easier. If you wanted a 1988 Supra, you'd go to the 80's UCD. If you wanted a 1992 Supra, you'd go to the Early 90's UCD and if you wanted the 1997 Supra, you'd go to the Late 90's UCD. Much better than trying to find them all from the same list in the unorganized UCD that we have now.

I agree mate 👍
 
You bumped a thread nearly two years old just to say that?

Yep figured it was better than creating a new thread and since this fourm doesnt have rules against necroposting.
 
...
The biggest problem with GT4 is that it was way too easy to generate credits, because you could continually win prize cars again and again from every event. GT5 actually fixed this, by making every prize car available only once per event. 👍

I don't see why this was a problem, I bought the game(s) to race cars not as some economic simulator.

It makes a lot more sense for the prize for any given event to be available whenever that event is contested. In general, competitions have prizes not dependent on whether you have won that same competition on a previous occasion.

Would it make sense for Olympic gold medals to only be given for an event if you have never won one previously?
 
I don't see why this was a problem, I bought the game(s) to race cars not as some economic simulator.

GT is basically a CARPG/ownership simulator from the very first game in 1997. Actual racing is just a bi-product (secondary activity) that is essentially needed because of two paramount reasons:

- you need to drive to wear a vehicles (so you can repair and maintain them)
- you need to drive to obtain more money (so you can buy new vehicles to race them so you can maintain them and repair them)

Rinse & Repeat™

:D
 
The biggest problem with GT4 is that it was way too easy to generate credits, because you could continually win prize cars again and again from every event. GT5 actually fixed this, by making every prize car available only once per event. 👍

I don't see why this was a problem, I bought the game(s) to race cars not as some economic simulator.

It makes a lot more sense for the prize for any given event to be available whenever that event is contested. In general, competitions have prizes not dependent on whether you have won that same competition on a previous occasion.

Would it make sense for Olympic gold medals to only be given for an event if you have never won one previously?

I agree. Removing prize car re-wins was a terrible decision. GT-Mode in GT5 is tiny enough as it is. Removing re-playability in this way means that once Gt-Mode is complete it is done and there is no reason to go back to it.

At the very least, it should be a way of earning new 0/0/0 versions of standard cars.
 
amar212
GT is basically a CARPG/ownership simulator from the very first game in 1997. Actual racing is just a bi-product (secondary activity) that is essentially needed because of two paramount reasons:

- you need to drive to wear a vehicles (so you can repair and maintain them)
- you need to drive to obtain more money (so you can buy new vehicles to race them so you can maintain them and repair them)

Rinse & Repeat™

:D

Hi Amar

I have read a few of your posts and as much as I try to see things from your point of view I simply cant.

Alot of what gt5 represents is out of date as much of a good game it is gt5 suffers from alot of flaws that shouldnt be in a 2010 to 2012 game.

Im glad you have a passion for this game and see it as a vision of motoring but I see it as falling short.
 
Back