Why is everything on TV at the same time?

• Thread starter daan
  • 31 comments

daan

Salut Gilles
Scotland
Scotland
GTP_daan
Gah!

Today we have BTCC + support, WTCC + F2 support, FIA GT3 & GT1 and MotoGP all on different channels at the same time. I want to watch them all, but I can't...

Why can't they stagger events so that they're all on at different times?

BTW GT3 is my favoured one at the minute....

If it makes you feel any better, the only motorsport coverage on free-to-air TV in Australia tonight is MotoGP, so no hard decisions for me. It sure would be nice to let PlayTV get a little more use though. :indiff:

Hadn't thought of that. I suppose too much is better than none, although I find myself just flicking channels and not really watching one properly.

Bloomberg. 609 on Virgin. I don't know what it is on anything else. Only 13 minutes left but the GT1s are on it later.

What channel is gt3 racing on?

ESPN and bloomberg tv.

Daan to answer your question. Its a may half bank holiday so people go out. So the racing is on today because people usually go out on a may bank holiday and the msa hope people will come to these racing events.

The reason its on tv is because its live so the only thing its replacing are rubbish daytime shows.

Daan to answer your question. Its a may half bank holiday so people go out. So the racing is on today because people usually go out on a may bank holiday and the msa hope people will come to these racing events.

The reason its on tv is because its live so the only thing its replacing are rubbish daytime shows.
But my point is why don't the different series get together and arrange the events so that there is no, or little, overlap between the events, especially for events on in the same country?

Something like (BTCC is at Brands Hatch, GTs at Silverstone)

11:10 BTCC race 1
12:00 GT3 race
1:10 BTCC race 2
2:00 GT1 race
3:10 BTCC race 3

I've managed to watch everything I wanted so far, BTCC FIA GT1 and WTCC. Mostly because in there was a total of about five racing laps over both WTCC races. Just waiting for the Championship GT1 race to start now, should then be finished by the time the last BTCC race is on.

I just stuck with BTCC and its support races as in my opinion they provide the most action over the day, especially the Ginetta Juniors and Ginetta G50s. 👍

I can watch the rest repeated in various places, but I agree that it should be organised a bit better, especially as they are mostly competing for the same audience. After watching Indycar through the online stream yesterday for free and outside of America..I have to wonder why on earth other series don't have this - it is much needed to boost the viewing numbers for motorsport. I wouldn't have ever watched Indycars otherwise and I can imagine its the same for many people who don't live in the UK with BTCC. Surely its hugely beneficial for sponsors and everyone involved to increase the profile of the series? Surely the cost of running such a service would be outweighed by the far bigger audience?

I think though, with so many motorsports..you have to accept that eventually there are going to be overlaps, you cannot possibly watch everything live. I have quickly grown used to this as I watch quite a range of series - its like expecting to watch every football match live. Its not going to be possible all the time.
It may be difficult to agree times that avoid each other too, as many series are rivals and would both like prime time TV. I also believe there is some avoidance of major sports events from time to time in the calendars. But its a timetabling-nightmare to be honest.

At the end of the day, I think they are going to worry more about avoiding major football games rather than other motorsport series.

I've got a twin tuner PVR so I record two with racing channels on and then watch a third channel/Internet site. It's the only way to do it on days like this. It makes for a long day though.

The reason so much happens on the same day is because everyone it trying to avoid clashing with Formula One and that leaves a limited number of available weekends to hold events.

You can't ask the organisers of different events to work together though, you'd have the fans and participants of lesser categories complaining about being put up against the more prestigious categories at other events.

It might also have the side effect of causing support races to be put on at awkward times, like late evening or early morning. This is not just a problem for light for certain races but also for any sponsors who want to come down and watch, which is one of the main attractions other than marketing.
Possibly also affecting tickets at the gate, as the spectators will be getting less action. I usually end up missing a race or two when I go to Oulton Park if races are on before 9am, because I usually get there around about 9am or 10am. So I wouldn't be happy if the BTCC race was pushed back even earlier, or any other race meeting.

The fun one this year is going to be Le Mans/Canadian Grand Prix/World Cup on the 12th/13th June. Le Mans starts at 2pm UK time, then qualifying for Canadian Grand Prix at 6pm, then Le Mans finishes 2pm the next day and the Canadian Grand Prix at 5pm. Then there will naturally be World Cup games around that time to keep track of.

Last edited:
Dam lucky all we get is delayed and not much else on free to air except for V8 Supercars, NZ racing season which being down here has finished, all thats delayed is motoGP MX1 speedway (by that I mean dirt) IRL (night races are live and japan) no WTCC or BTCC or GT1, 2, 3 (all the good stuff really)

F1, NASCAR, WRC is all pay tv so no watchy those unless the old man has kept some of it on mysky (not likely his one is full of girly movies)

Bloomberg. 609 on Virgin. I don't know what it is on anything else. Only 13 minutes left but the GT1s are on it later.

I thought i'd miss the Silverstone GT races as they were on ESPN, which i don't get, but i was flicking through the news channels when i noticed it was on Bloomberg. WTF? :odd: - new circuit layout looks a winner though 👍

I totally forgot about the BTCC as well until i flicked passed it on ITV3(?). As usual i missed the first two races but managed to catch the 3rd. :rolleyes:

This weekend we have LeMans Series at Spa, and F1 at Catalunya! I wanna watch both, but I don't know if they'll air Spa in the U.S.

This weekend we have LeMans Series at Spa, and F1 at Catalunya! I wanna watch both, but I don't know if they'll air Spa in the U.S.

I don't imagine so freshman, Im pretty sure it won't be of intrest to the majority of US public.

Well, the GT1 race from Yas Marina is on Bloomberg this weekend. I've just set the planner for quali on Saturday & the race on Sunday.

Don't forget there's WRC on Motors tv all weekend as well as F1 on BBC & Le Mans Series on Eurosport HD

Well, the GT1 race from Yas Marina is on Bloomberg this weekend. I've just set the planner for quali on Saturday & the race on Sunday.
Those were on 16th/17th April :confused:. They're showing highlights of the Silverstone races tomorrow.

This is why I hate living in America. No good racing. We have some, but the popular stuff that comes on TV is lame Nascrap. I wish i could move to europe, so I could watch LMS races and F1 on a regular time schedule, not this 4 in the morning stuff over here in the U.S. I'd move to Europe just for the racing! But not to mention that I think the 'old world' is a lot better than over here!

Don't you guys have anything like Sky+ in America?

This is brilliant tv technology, you can even set them to record via text message in case you suddenly realise that the rally you are standing in a forest watching is going to be on tv later that day. (For example)

sky_hd_box.jpg

sky-plus-new-tv-guide-planner-thumb-430x241-81370.jpg

Back