Why is the Veyron undriveable?

• Thread starter Topsu
  • 152 comments
Finland
Finland
Why is this car so unstable at high speeds? Anything over 300 kph and it starts sliding like it's on ice, even with RS tyres. The Veyron mission at Le Mans was almost impossible for me. The car just starts veering left and right, and sliding around. It's crazy. Surely someone else has the same issue?

The Veyron was built for one purpose, top speed. It was not built for cornering or handling. Trying to race with the Veyron is like trying to drift in a tank, it just doesn't work. It's a car fit for purpose and it fulfils it's purpose very well.
Did you even read my post? It starts becoming uncontrollable on a straight line at 300 kph. No corners involved!

I'm very familiar with the Veyron and its characteristics, thank you.

Did you even read my post? It starts becoming uncontrollable on a straight line at 300 kph. No corners involved!

I'm very familiar with the Veyron and its characteristics, thank you.
You're welcome

Isn't that what happens in real life though? When travelling at high speed, the car starts to shake and becomes very difficult to keep straight. I don't know why, you'll probably need to ask a theoretical physicist, but I don't think it's a bug.

Last edited:
You're welcome

Isn't that what happens in real life though? When travelling at high speed, the car starts to shake and becomes very difficult to keep straight. I don't know why, you'll probably need to ask a theoretical physicist, but I don't think it's a bug.
I assure you what happens in the game will not happen in real time...

Can anyone go try the Le Mans speed mission and tell me of the Veyron is stable at high speed?

I assure you what happens in the game will not happen in real time...

Can anyone go try the Le Mans speed mission and tell me of the Veyron is stable at high speed?
I know exactly what you are referring to by the way, I took the bugtatti VGT to Route X and it kept rearing to the left or right I couldn't keep it straight, this was at about 287mph.

Didn't think anything to it, figured it was just normal, guess it's not.

What’s the wind doing? A car profile like the Veyron likely creates lift and not downforce at speed so the tires get light and the wind can blow it around pretty easily.

IndyCars in speedway configuration produce some downforce and even they are sensitive to wind at high speeds.

The top speed mission also has you ducking in and out of wakes from other cars and that difference in air pressure also pushes the car around regardless of steering angle.

Last edited:
Why is this car so unstable at high speeds? Anything over 300 kph and it starts sliding like it's on ice, even with RS tyres. The Veyron mission at Le Mans was almost impossible for me. The car just starts veering left and right, and sliding around. It's crazy. Surely someone else has the same issue?
In that mission you have no downforce. When you draft someone, the Veyron is being pulled forward by a vacuum. There's less air in that space, and the car body's friction with surrounding air is what causes downforce. The closer you get, the less downforce, and thus less (or in this case, zero) grip you have.
For a similar yet opposite phenomenon, look up Nikki Lauda's run withe the Brabham BT46B. Lauda could generate more grip by revving the engine. When a crash fouled the track with oil, everyone slowed down in that area...except Lauda. He floored it instead, which spun up the car's cooling/sucker fan and offered him the required grip.
We don't have that luxury in the Veyron, so when drafting minute inputs are needed. I won this mission by setting the controls to steer with the d pad. I just pressed it briefly when I needed to guide the car. Til then I had the same problem you do. Once I switch to using the D pad, I golded the mission immediately.

By contrast, the St Croix Circuit Experience shows you how well the Veyron can hold the road at speed when there is no drafting involved.

The bottom line is that you'll need to adapt your assists and control style to match the current situation, and that goes for the entire game.

Last edited:
This has been an issue with almost every street car that can go over 300km/h, for a few months by now, it's not exclusive to the Veyron. All of my engine swapped cars exhibits the same behavior after said speed if I'm using tires of equal compounds on both axles.

Try using tires of inferior grip on the front, it's what I had to do fix my maxed cars, I'm running full wets on the front and racing softs on the rear. Also remove any toe angle.

Or crank up the front sway bar, add some camber, and fine tune the LSD, it seems to help with the issue as well.

But if you can't tune the car at all(if it's it's driving mission, for instance) then you're **** out if luck because there's nothing to be done.

I suspect this issue is something to do with the tire grip at higher speeds, but I can't confirm it.

Last edited:
This has been an issue with almost every street car that can go over 300km/h, for a few months by now, it's not exclusive to the Veyron. All of my engine swapped cars exhibits the same behavior after said speed if I'm using tires of equal compounds on both axles.

Try using tires of inferior grip on the front, it's what I had to do fix my maxed cars, I'm running full wets on the front and racing softs on the rear. Also remove any toe angle.

Or crank up the front sway bar, add some camber, and fine tune the LSD, it seems to help with the issue as well.

But if you can't tune the car at all(if it's it's driving mission, for instance) then you're **** out if luck because there's nothing to be done.

I suspect this issue is something to do with the tire grip at higher speeds, but I can't confirm it.
Ok, so the physics are simply bugged. Makes no sense how the cars handle at speed.

This is not a widespread topic around here?

It should be, but I suppose that not many people around here are playing this game with stock high-powered cars for this to be an widespread topic.

And almost everyone here got through the driving missions long ago, before this became an issue.
Yeah, figures. I only got my PS5 last month. But I actually remember doing the exact Veyron mission on my brother's PS5 ages ago, and it was fine. So PD definitely messed up the physics at some point.

Last edited:
Yes they have changed the tire or grip model which makes the veyron undrivable at high speed, previously it was fine even with little to no camber angle on the front etc..

What’s the wind doing? A car profile like the Veyron likely creates lift and not downforce at speed so the tires get light and the wind can blow it around pretty easily.

IndyCars in speedway configuration produce some downforce and even they are sensitive to wind at high speeds.

The top speed mission also has you ducking in and out of wakes from other cars and that difference in air pressure also pushes the car around regardless of steering angle.
They Veyron most certainly creates a lot of downforce at high speed, to design a car to be driven at over 200mph but would create lift at over 200mph would be insane and very much a failure in design.

That said, that's real life and having not driven the Veyron in GT7, so it's hard to say if the game isn't using the aero properly or if it is just bugged physics alone. But I've seen plenty of examples of the Veyron at over 200mph and it's extremely stable. It's also not too shabby in the corners, but that's not too shabby for such a heavy 4wd lump, it's never going to be as nible as more track focused machines.

Last edited:
They Veyron most certainly creates a lot of downforce at high speed, to design a car to be driven at over 200mph but would create lift at over 200mph would be insane and very much a failure in design.
You're right about the car generating some amount of downforce. I can't find reliable data in a quick Google search but the numbers I have seen suggest about 770 pounds at top speed, which isn't what I would call "a lot" by racecar terms but it certainly doesn't generate lift and I stand corrected on that. My presumption was based on the slippery profile of the car & assuming it wouldn't run an aggressive diffuser for the sake of drag.

My statement about the wind & wake having an effect is something I will stand by, however. It's a big deal to be driving an open wheeler at over 200 mph when the wind is blowing at anything over ~20 mph.

Last edited:
My statement about the wind & wake having an effect is something I will stand by, however. It's a big deal to be driving an open wheeler at over 200 mph when the wind is blowing at anything over ~20 mph.
Sure, that can have an impact, but if the car is starting to wallow and/or slide at speed all the time then it's not likely due to a variable like that as you should have inconsistent results if it's a cross wind which there won't always be. Also I don't think a crosswind should make the Veyron wallow/slide more than other cars that don't do this, that would affect all cars to varying degrees which doesn't appear to be the case in GT7. So while I agree with you that, certainly in real life that is a factor and it may be a part contributor in GT7 I don't think that's the main factor in GT7 here.

The only thing a real Veyron (or Ve-ryon if you ask Clarkson lol) can do is going stupidly fast in a straight line, which is also what it did in GT7 the last time I drove one. I also had zero issues with the mission at Le Mans, granted I did this mission like 4 months ago or so...

Therefore I'm pretty sure it's a bug that was introduced with the latest update or the one before. I actually had the same issue like you describe but with the Genesis G70 3.3T AWD. I maxed out its power and wanted to try out its topspeed on Route X but everytime I went over 300km/h the car just started to swerve and spin out uncontrollably (even with absolutely ZERO steering input).

Edit: Spelling...

Last edited:
The Veyron produces 100kgs of downforce at 200+mph, compare that to a Mercedes/Sauber C9, which produces over 2000kgs at similar speeds. Wings and spliters create downforce which helps around corners, but they also create stability in a straight line.

I don't think I ever had any trouble with Gran Turismo 6's Veyron.

Would maxing out Downforce on both the front and rear make the thing more drivable in Gran Turismo 7, or have the people here already tried that?

What is your tune for it?

I know when the original, not upgraded suspension is it does that in a terribly way, with the slightest touch sending for a spin

James May remarked on how stable the SuperSport was, the original can’t be far off that. If it was this unstable in real life, May or their test driver would’ve crashed trying to reach its top speed. It must be a bug or an incorrect downforce/grip value for the car.

What is your tune for it?

I know when the original, not upgraded suspension is it does that in a terribly way, with the slightest touch sending for a spin
Completely stock. Please go try the Le Mans mission if you don't believe me. The same thing happens on any straight where the speed reaches a certain level. It's literally like driving on marbles.

I use it sometimes just to get my daily milage on route x.ive not noticed the issues you have though.I have to be a bit steady on the banked section but thats it.

Completely stock. Please go try the Le Mans mission if you don't believe me. The same thing happens on any straight where the speed reaches a certain level. It's literally like driving on marbles.
No, I Absolutely agree with you, there are some circumstances I was able to induce that caused that very issue. Thats why i was asking about the suspension. After I read your text I brought mine out on the “Special Stage Route X” time trial to see what was going on using a giant straightaway. I didn’t have an issue at first so i started removing upgrades and noticed as soon as the suspension was brought back to “stock” the car was completely bonkers.

From the little bit I experimented when the Torque-Vectoring differential and Power are upgraded with the suspension only being “Normal” things start getting worse exponentially

What do you mean Le Mans Mission? was that one’s of the cafe menus? and is this your car or a preconfigured one for some mission/race?

Last edited:
No, I Absolutely agree with you, there are some circumstances I was able to induce that caused that very issue. Thats why i was asking about the suspension. After I read your text I brought mine out on the “Special Stage Route X” time trial to see what was going on using a giant straightaway. I didn’t have an issue at first so i started removing upgrades and noticed as soon as the suspension was brought back to “stock” the car was completely bonkers.

From the little bit I experimented when the Torque-Vectoring differential and Power are upgraded with the suspension only being “Normal” things start getting worse exponentially

What do you mean Le Mans Mission? was that one’s of the cafe menus? and is this your car or a preconfigured one for some mission/race?
IIRC it's the mission in the "Gone With The Wind" section, where you use a Veyron to overtake a couple of cars and need to reach 400 kph. The car gets extremely unstable by the end.

IIRC it's the mission in the "Gone With The Wind" section, where you use a Veyron to overtake a couple of cars and need to reach 400 kph. The car gets extremely unstable by the end.
ahh,

Yeah I did that mission pretty recent, just revisited it. It’s accelerating much faster than normally can because of the slipstream, when you veer out of it and the air speed is 240+mph suddenly is going to be similar to braking hard (or accelerating) while moving the wheel.

When stock, the car’s suspension and differential aren’t up to the task. That’s probably why I had a similar result when testing by upgrading the power without suspension and it couldn’t handle it. It also comes stock with “sport” tires

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back