Why is weight not increased on tuning parts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter covan2306
  • 11 comments
  • 761 views
Messages
165
United States
MI
Messages
covan2306
I'm sure there is more than just superchargers have some weight parts wise, but my question is; Why when I add additional parts to a car does the cars weight, and weight balance not increase/change?
 
TXR0 is the only game I know to simulate this afaik. :)
 
TXR0 is the only game I know to simulate this afaik. :)
Forza also increases weight depending on the parts added. Especially if you install the AWD swap.
 
Last edited:
I'm sure there is more than just superchargers have some weight parts wise, but my question is; Why when I add additional parts to a car does the cars weight, and weight balance not increase/change?

You make a good point. Forza 4 and previous versions do take the weight of upgrade parts into account, and the weight distribution may be affected if it's significant.

For example, I'm looking at the Ford XB Falcon (Eric Bana's car), and an upgrade from Sport Pistons to Race Pistons sheds 2 pounds, with no change in weight distribution. I'm guessing that such a small reduction of weight in the front doesn't trigger a weight distribution threshold.

However, upgrading to a Race Supercharger adds 8 pounds and changes the "54% front" weight distribution number to a red 54%, so there is some slight increase in the front/rear imbalance.

One could argue that the difference is so small, that maybe it's nothing to worry about, but it just feels good to see these figures change, even if it's only one pound for a step up in tire width.
 
The game caters to the most casual of players and having the car balance/handling/PP etc. change as you add parts will be too complicated for little Timmy and his Mom or Johnny Casual to figure out. "I added a supercharger Mommy and now I can't get into the race, this game sucks!!" It's a great idea for realism and I'd like to see it, but too complicated for the majority of GT5 users I'm afraid.
 
Majority? Or just a decent share? I'd like to think the majority would see the change to weight/performance and understand why they were preventedfrom participating. But I did say I'd like to think that.
Concerning the feature: I never gave it that much but have to admit I like the sound of it, only there are plenty of issues to address before implementing it. Not complaining about issues, just stating a truth.
 
I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was, PD simply did not think about it.
 
I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was, PD simply did not think about it.
Oh they thought about it, they just got one guy to work on it. ;)
 
I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was, PD simply did not think about it.

I'd say it's likely that they were completely aware of these effects, but that they consciously decided the impact of ignoring them would be very small compared to getting other detailed physics modeling done.

It's like Forza's removal of the ability to tune in an online lobby in FM3 and later. Someone decided that this flexibility was no longer required and removed the code.

Such are the differences in game design choices.
 
The game caters to the most casual of players and having the car balance/handling/PP etc. change as you add parts will be too complicated for little Timmy and his Mom or Johnny Casual to figure out. "I added a supercharger Mommy and now I can't get into the race, this game sucks!!" It's a great idea for realism and I'd like to see it, but too complicated for the majority of GT5 users I'm afraid.
That already happens. I also have a feeling that such a thing would be met with no complaint at all from a casual player unless it wasn't clear what was causing a problem. This issue highlighted above is also easily dealt with; if you look at Forza most of the race rules are optional and you can switch them on/off. If it was just catering to anyone, PD would add this.

I think the reason this feature isn't seen might be a possible combination of "didn't think of it" and "didn't think of a way to implement it". By the second part I don't mean PD didn't know how to code it, but couldn't decide on how far to model it. They might have thought it wasn't worth considering.

While I do like that in Forza, there are various impacts to performance for a single part, I do wonder how they came up with the numbers. They seem reasonable enough, but I doubt they're anything but rough estimates. If PD decided that there wasn't enough merit to adding semi guessed weight numbers into the parts, I guess I could understand. The small differences do have a fair overall impact in Forza though.
 
Back