Why isn’t there a progress bar for sportsmanship rating?

• Thread starter GEO_2009
  • 11 comments
GEO_2009
They show your progress through the driver ratings so why not your sportsmanship too? Might encourage people to be cleaner if the know they are close to going up a level, possibly if they think they may drop one too.

Yeah I have seen that, also reckon that if you are a member of GTPlanet you try your best to be a clean driver anyway. Think it would be more benificial for the newer users or more casual user to help them try and raise their ratings, at the moment it’s hard to tell how close you are to moving up and why, I have had many clean races recently and still only a B rating with no idea how close I am to an A.

You can sort of tell by who you are matched with. If you get close to the next level you should see more people of that level in the room that are at the lower end. If you want your SR to go up, just do the 10 lap races while staying on the road. 2 is enough for most levels.

Yeah it’s hard to tell for me, I normally play late night so get a real mixed bag of opponents, ranging from A- E in the same race.

Yeah it’s hard to tell for me, I normally play late night so get a real mixed bag of opponents, ranging from A- E in the same race.

Been hovering around low to mid B lately, when I am low B my opponents are all DRB and SRS. but when I get above mid I start seeing DRA and even DRS drivers in my matches.

I think if it was a bar then it might encourage some folks to just view it as a meter which shows them how much awful driving they can get away with.
This. In the first beta, it was a number and showed you the points being added and removed with each sector, but people were getting really hung up on it. Even now, it's a real focus for lots of people, where what PD wanted, I believe, was a near invisible system which just got on with its job of pairing up like-minded and similarly skilled players. If they can sort out the rogue penalty system, it's probably not far off that. For it to work, you just need to do what you do, race how you race, and not worry too much about what your SR and DR figures actually are.

It would be nice. Especially when there are subcategories of each class which determine who your opponents are.
There aren't really subcategories and even the main classes are arbitrary. It's a big sliding scale from terrible to awesome and the system does its best to pair you with a similar rating. That's why you get a mix if you're near a boundary or if there isn't a big pool of players online. PD just want you to drive as well and as clean as you can, then you'll be paired with more awesome players and less terrible ones. The reason they removed the numbers during the beta was because it was encouraging people to do something other than that.

The reason they removed the numbers during the beta was because it was encouraging people to do something other than that.

TBH I don't see that it makes any difference, there's still lots of feedback coming from the game about SR: orange/green markers during races, and red/white/blue SR letter at the end. It's quite transparent really, even without the numbers. And IMO that's as it should be, encouragement to race well.

The other thing they changed at the same time was to not show an orange -SR when going a little off track, and reduced that to simply being not a +SR sector. (Then later they added the cursed time penalties). I think that was in response to complaints as well, it made SR easier to gain.

I think SR moves quickly enough that it doesn't really matter - just a couple of clean 10 lap races is enough to go up a whole grade.

They show your progress through the driver ratings so why not your sportsmanship too? Might encourage people to be cleaner if the know they are close to going up a level, possibly if they think they may drop one too.
So people don’t game the system. If I’m at maximum S then I have some leeway to ram people off the road and still stay in S. Then next race I’ll get my S back to maximum and do it all over again.

There are many more reasons like this.

Back