Why no Chevy 396's

  • Thread starter Thread starter corky4891502
  • 35 comments
  • 1,619 views
Messages
1
I wonder what the reasoning is that Grand turismo has had muscle cars, and looks like it is going to have them in Grand Turismo 4, but it hasn't ever had a Chevy with a 396. Maybe they would make all the other old cars look to slow, lol. Actually, I just thought I would share my thought on it.
 
Welcome to GTP, corky4891502!

This question should be moved to a Gran Turismo Sub-Forum.
 
Yep, moving this to the GT4 section.
 
Well, look at it this way.

If you have a 396 '69 Camaro and a 427 '69 Yenko Camaro. Which would be faster?

If you have a 396 '70 Chevelle SS and 454 '70 Chevelle SS. Which would be faster?

It all comes down to having the faster versions of muscle cars available, IMO. If you really wanted to get nostalgic, you'd want to see a 354ci Hemi from the early 50's. That was hot. But, it wasnt fast nor did it make big power.

Hope that clears some stuff up for ya. And welcome to the board 👍
James-
 
Depending on how things go here, I don't think this thread will be respected well with the GTP crowd. It kind of sounds like a thread like "why no car damage?" Anyhow, I don't know more about muscle cars than I should know. When it comes to Chevrolet 396s, you'll have to introduce me to them, my friend.

And oh yeah, welcome to GTPlanet.
 
The 1971 Chevy Nova SS was badged a 396, but was really a 409. Chevy didn't change the car to a 409 because 396 was building quite a persona with the public. Also, Chevy knew how hard of a time drivers were having getting a decent insurance payment for their cars. Still, it would be great to see it in the game. It was one of the fastest cars Chevy made in 1971, and would be a great drag car.

The 1966 Chevelle SS had a 396 engine, and it would be pretty cool to see another Chevelle make into the game. So, I say we need a 396 in GT4.
 
accually it was a 402 ci engine in 70 not a 409. the 409 was an earlier version not even related to the 396/427/454 family.

ps mopar rules

b
 
We don't know if there won't be 396, we don't have the complete GT4 car list yet.
 
why not the 2 stroke engined DKW. why not the steam powered thing jay leno drives. why not the electric car the GM made. or one of those salt lake speed record breaking jet engined things.

there really should be a page that newbies have to read before they post. there should be a box for them to check to accept before they can post a topic/ question.

clown :dunce:
 
who cares.. gt4 has enough cars of old cars... i think
 
case dismissed.

people only want to look at threads about confirmed car lists and release dates. not questions and critisism. critisism is bad. Gran Turismo is beyond critisism.

i
 
Simple question, simple answer.

Chevy's suck. and they are slow, thats why they seem slow... CUZ THEY ARE.
 
I would rather GT4 have just about every "cool" muscle car than civics and skylines, to bad PD is a Japanese company.
 
Cagedheat
Simple question, simple answer.

Chevy's suck. and they are slow, thats why they seem slow... CUZ THEY ARE.
So Corvettes are slow? :dunce:
 
I'd rather GT4 had ever cool Euro sports and supercars than bulky muscle cars. I have nothng against muscle cars but to incite that they are better than Japanese cars is stupid, as it would be to incite the Japanese cars are better than muscle cars.
 
live4speed
I'd rather GT4 had ever cool Euro sports and supercars than bulky muscle cars. I have nothng against muscle cars but to incite that they are better than Japanese cars is stupid, as it would be to incite the Japanese cars are better than muscle cars.
Good thought, but wouldn't it be nice to have an equal amount of both because I would rather have American cars, but I would love to drive Euro cars on the game. It's mostly where you're born: I'm from America and guess what cars I want to see and you're from England and look what cars you want to see.
 
ya, it really bugs me how the makers of the GT series either dont care about the muscle cars, or dont know anything about them. They need to put engines in like the 427, and the 396, and the 426 hemi, and the yenko, copo camaro. They did at least one thing right with the 454 in the 70' chevelle (my favourite muscle car). They need to put more muscle cars in and take some of those skylines out, theres like 30 of them!!

btw live4speed, u obviously dont know that much about muscle cars, i mean how could u choose a little 4 cylinder sh*it box, or even a V6 over a big block V8, not much of a car guy are ya.
 
Adam_b24
btw live4speed, u obviously dont know that much about muscle cars, i mean how could u choose a little 4 cylinder sh*it box, or even a V6 over a big block V8, not much of a car guy are ya.
Cause you can throw it round a track and actually race around tight twists and turns as well the long straights that muscle cars so love. I'd love to see a stock Evo vs. a muscle car on a track, would be interesting to see how a 4 door pocket rocket that can keep up with a 360 and GT2 round the twisties would fair.

Also most people except for only the US want the big muscle cars, other people really want to race, no disrespect to US muscle but they arent ideal for racing... around twisty tracks.

PS a car that can hold it's own on a difficult track get's more respect from me than something that is fast in a straight line. It's just the way us europeans are I guess.
 
_aj
Cause you can throw it round a track and actually race around tight twists and turns as well the long straights that muscle cars so love. I'd love to see a stock Evo vs. a muscle car on a track, would be interesting to see how a 4 door pocket rocket that can keep up with a 360 and GT2 round the twisties would fair.

Also most people except for only the US want the big muscle cars, other people really want to race, no disrespect to US muscle but they arent ideal for racing... around twisty tracks.

PS a car that can hold it's own on a difficult track get's more respect from me than something that is fast in a straight line. It's just the way us europeans are I guess.
C'mon, they couldn't handle well because they are from the 60s and Evos are new. Back then, they didn't know much about suspension and handling.
 
It was mainly because of the post shooting down japanese imports, as I said no disrespect to muscle cars, I love them, their sound, their look, their power but not their track abilities is all.
 
_aj
It was mainly because of the post shooting down japanese imports, as I said no disrespect to muscle cars, I love them, their sound, their look, their power but not their track abilities is all.
Well here in America we don't emphasize the twisties on road courses as much as you guys in Europe. We emphasize a lot of power in a straight line; I guess that's why some of our old muscle cars didn't have great handling.
 
98cobra
Well here in America we don't emphasize the twisties on road courses as much as you guys in Europe. We emphasize a lot of power in a straight line; I guess that's why some of our old muscle cars didn't have great handling.
maybe back in the old days it was all straight line, but lately GM's been testing cars at the nubering(however you spell it).
 
Well here in America we don't emphasize the twisties on road courses as much as you guys in Europe. We emphasize a lot of power in a straight line; I guess that's why some of our old muscle cars didn't have great handling

Well, alot of it comes from the fact that we dont have many twisty roads. However, we have a crap load of stop lights. Thats why we go towards the all-out straight line enjoyment. Just my thoughts.
James-
 
super cirrus
maybe back in the old days it was all straight line, but lately GM's been testing cars at the nubering(however you spell it).
Yeah, I was referring to the old school muscle cars, but now American cars handle well.
 
not only that, but a lot more guys are turning their cars into g-machines instead of dragsters taking them road courses on open track days.

linky...
 
super cirrus
not only that, but a lot more guys are turning their cars into g-machines instead of dragsters taking them road courses on open track days.

linky...
Nice find 👍
 
totally true. Lot's of great track cars are made out of those hulking dinosaurs.

Isn't Gran Turismo centered around modification anyway?
 
that's what i'm saying. buy the new supension and tune it. then you got all the power and awesome looks of a muscle car with all the handling you need to make it compete with all those euro cars.
 
Back