Why no Gr.4 Camaro for Chevrolet?

• Thread starter Egghaus88
  • 37 comments
It is quite likely that PD's fictional race cars were created in the middle of the last decade, when GT Sport was being produced. So it's likely that this GT4 model of the Camaro didn't exist. But, in my view, this would not be an impediment to PD. If you could create a fictional Corvette Gr.3 race car, I assume that wouldn't stop you from creating the Camaro Gr. 4. Maybe, was it a personal decision by the PD?

I also wonder about this repetition of cars. If you're going to invent fictional race cars, it would be a good idea to create models with different base cars. This doesn't just happen with Chevrolet. There are other brands like Dodge. In this case, instead of the Viper GR.4, it would be nice to have made a GR.4 model on top of the Dodge Challenger.

Anyway, I would like PD to add not only more updated GT4 and GT3/GTE cars, but also, as far as possible, new fictional cars from the Gr.3 and Gr.4 groups.

Last edited:
It may have been down to time, as the Camaro is from 2016. From what I've seen the newest car to be used as a basis for a fictional Group 4 car was the GT-R in GTS, so it may well have been left out because of the rush at the end of the game's development. Remember that at this point Chevrolet already had a Group 4 car and Nissan didn't. I would like to see a Camaro Gr4 though.

Is just the logic. PD had the road car versions through Gr.3. Some got a Gr.3 Riad Car as well. We just don’t know with some cars.

The SLS Is old. Yet, it got a Gr.4 and Gr.3. The AMG GT GT3 ‘16 is in as is the GT S. However, there was no AMG GT4 at the time until after GT Sport debuted. PD still could have built one.

Many cars from 2015 are in GT Sport. The 570S GT4 is from 2015. Yet, PD made the 650S Gr.4.

PD made the GTI and Beetle Gr.3 and no Gr.4 variants. Yet, we didn’t get the Scirocco ‘10, but got a Gr.4 car? Now, we have the Scirocco ‘10 in GT7. We just don’t know with much of PD’s thinking.

GT7 just debuted. It’s possible we could get a GT4.R. We’ll see.

I'm all for a GT4 Camaro. I feel that a Corvette vs Mustang is too much of a david vs goliath battle.

It may have been down to time, as the Camaro is from 2016. From what I've seen the newest car to be used as a basis for a fictional Group 4 car was the GT-R in GTS, so it may well have been left out because of the rush at the end of the game's development. Remember that at this point Chevrolet already had a Group 4 car and Nissan didn't. I would like to see a Camaro Gr4 though.
Suzuki Swift Sport Gr. 4 '17 has entered the chat

Mine does. The downforce is the main factor. Matches the Gr.4 Mustang. Same suspension and gearing. Just doesn’t have the same amount of front downforce. Has much more torque though.
1650169137114.jpeg

1650169114456.jpeg

Well, Nissan had GT4 versions of both 350Z and 370Z long before GT Sport was released. .
Still, they made us a GT-R Gr. 4.
There are GT4 versions of Audi R8 and Mercedes AMG GT, still don't have it in the game. At least the Audi TT cup isn't fictional like the Mercedes SLS Gr 4.
Already mentioned McLaren situation too.

The thing was taking shortcuts when finishing GT Sport.
Camaro '15 was one of the last models to be rendered in the game, they already and been working on body kits to Corvette, so a Corvette Gr 4 it was. Same with the Mercedes AMG GT. The Z33 wasn't even in road car form in GTS, so why bother to make a Gr 4?

After all, they couldn't use GT3 nor GT4 as class new, just took advantage of that to take some shortcuts

I wouldn't call polyphony's in house GR 4 fictional, they can be made in real life by anyone as long as they meet the required specs.
Ideally, it would be nice if they modeled them after a real-world counterpart.

And no, they do not handle the same, a Supra with the right PP/ HP, etc. is much harder to drive than the GR.4 cars and in a custom race, results in a non BOP regulated class.

This means you have to select opponents by hand-tuned to BOP spec.

I think it is lizencening issues. As most cars are from GT Sport, I do think PD implemented the cars they have the lizenses already from GT Sport for to include it.

They shouldn’t have Gr3 andGr4 versions of the same base car from any manufacturers, especially fictional ones, just makes things messy and confusing. The Mustang Gr 4 is great (but the Gr3 unnecessary as they have the real GT Gr3) and the (also real) Viper and fake C7 Gr3s should be paired with Gr4 Hellcat and Camaro, not Gr4 versions of the same models.

Ditto for all the manufacturers really. There are fake Gr3, Gr4 and even Gr 3 road car versions of so many models, even extra GrB models for some like the WRX and Lancer.

That said, it’s the other fake rally cars that stick out like a sore thumb, Gr B NSX, 86, GTR and RCZ? What the hell were they thinking? If they’d gone for the smaller cars, the Civic, Yaris, etc it’d at least be in the realms of possibility rather than sheer fantasy.

It's pretty obvious they did this across the board to save time. Nearly all of the fictional GR3/4/GrB cars use the same starer model when others would make more sense. I believe of all the manufacturers only Volkswagen is the one where the Gr.3 and Gr.4 car are from different road cars.

That said, it’s the other fake rally cars that stick out like a sore thumb, Gr B NSX, 86, GTR and RCZ? What the hell were they thinking? If they’d gone for the smaller cars, the Civic, Yaris, etc it’d at least be in the realms of possibility rather than sheer fantasy.
It's not just any fictional rally category though, it's fictional Group B. They had Porsches and Ferraris going up against Peugeots and Renaults. Anything goes.

It's not just any fictional rally category though, it's fictional Group B. They had Porsches and Ferraris going up against Peugeots and Renaults. Anything goes.
Yeah, I know all about Group B, it ended in 1986. If they did the S4, Rs200 and 6R4, fine. Even 288 or 308.

But having fake ‘GrB’ NSXs, GTRs and RCZs is just unfeasible if you’ve ever seen them IRL. Calling them GrB is the problem, Mixing them up with the real Quattro and T16 in the game. Calling them ‘offroad’ versions or something similar would be OK, but they’re not rally cars, and nothing at all like Gr B machinery.

It's pretty obvious they did this across the board to save time. Nearly all of the fictional GR3/4/GrB cars use the same starer model when others would make more sense. I believe of all the manufacturers only Volkswagen is the one where the Gr.3 and Gr.4 car are from different road cars.

And artificially inflate the game’s car count.

What really bugs me about all the fictional cars is that they’re often better/faster than the real non-fiction ones (the Alteza, RCZ, etc).

If I were Porsche, say, or Audi, and my real (and developed using my own real money and effort) Cayman or TTS Gr 4 cars were being constantly monstered in the game by any number of fakes (given made-up performance characteristics by PD) from other manufacturers, I’d be mightily peeved to put it mildly.

It does make me wonder why they accept it. Why doesn’t Audi just say, ‘yeah PD, do us a fake TTS that’s much faster than IRL, will ya?’

Edit: sorry for multiple posts, if I knew how to combine, I would...

Last edited:
Different categories might help, put real GT3 cars in one category and the fictional ones in Gr.3. Like Vision GT cars are in Gr. 1, doesen't fit. More likely the whish of PD and their car fantasies. But if you have all cars in their own classes like real GT3 and Gr 3. it would reflect the real world and the "Vision". You then could still go for mixed car class racing in some events.

Unfortunately it won't qualify under Gr.4 regulations which is my point.
Exactly. This is an important distinction to make, especially as time goes on and 'Sport' mode becomes the lingering component of GT7, the races for which are dictated by their Gr. restrictions.

They could really up the 'usefulness' of several of the cars in this came by adding a preset "Gr upgrade" option in the tuning shop. For example, turning the Camaro into a Gr.4 version, or the Viper GTS 2002 into Gr.3 model (as the iconic GTS-R). Ford Focus and Honda Civic could become a new touring car class...loads of stuff PD could do with the tools they have available tbh, they just need to get a bit creative with it. Would surely give Sport mode a new lease of life too having new tracks and new cars/classes.

It does seem typical PD oversight to include such a robust upgrade system but not allow you to actually upgrade road cars into the existing race car categories, or create some new ones.

Just imagine, you buy a car, go into GT Auto and pre-select a racing category. It then highlights all the parts you need to make your car GR.4 (or whatever) legal. Once you've bought them all there is a special 'homologation' button which sets your car as an actual Gr.4 car.

I believe of all the manufacturers only Volkswagen is the one where the Gr.3 and Gr.4 car are from different road cars.
And VW created the Beetle Gr.3 digital model inhouse, not PD! That was the reason JP Performance could get his hands on the data with his good connections to VAG and build the car irl.

beetlegr3_jp.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately it won't qualify under Gr.4 regulations which is my point.

Exactly. This is an important distinction to make, especially as time goes on and 'Sport' mode becomes the lingering component of GT7, the races for which are dictated by their Gr. restrictions.

They could really up the 'usefulness' of several of the cars in this came by adding a preset "Gr upgrade" option in the tuning shop. For example, turning the Camaro into a Gr.4 version, or the Viper GTS 2002 into Gr.3 model (as the iconic GTS-R). Ford Focus and Honda Civic could become a new touring car class...loads of stuff PD could do with the tools they have available tbh, they just need to get a bit creative with it. Would surely give Sport mode a new lease of life too having new tracks and new cars/classes.
Right. That IS the point. We players can build these cars to Gr.4 specs. What’s the programming that prevents the cars from becoming Gr.4? What’s the 100100 parameter that puts the user built car on par with the Gr.4 car?

I don’t know how long PD were following GT4, but the real class been active since 2006/2007. A 350Z GT4 had been active way back then and PD had a 350Z GT4 for GT Academy. We even got treated to a 370Z GT4 type FP car for one of the GT Academy Time Trials. Then, one was entered in the Dubai 24Hours a couple years.

The C7 Gr.4, I guess, is like the C6 Tuned we had in GT5P. There was a real C6 GT4, back in the early days of GT4. Not to say PD had that particular car in mind, when choosing what car to represent Chevrolet.

In regards to the Challenger, I think a private team made one close to GT4 specs.

That‘s the thing with certain brands. It’s always the why. If PD and the manufacturers agreed to have each base car represent both classes, why was the Golf VII not a Gr.4 car? Or the New Beetle added to the game to be another Gr.4 choice? The GT4.R comes up in several wish lists and Gr.3/Gr.4 threads. As do many other cars. PD add the Gr.4 Swift, but still no Gr.3 representation. Veyron is still out in the cold.

As for the Mustang, again, new real world GT4 & GT3(yes, a brand new to the series Mustang GT3) cars are being made for the 2023 season. We’ll see if they’ll be added in GT7 and hopefully Camaro could be one of those additions.

It does seem typical PD oversight to include such a robust upgrade system but not allow you to actually upgrade road cars into the existing race car categories, or create some new ones.

Just imagine, you buy a car, go into GT Auto and pre-select a racing category. It then highlights all the parts you need to make your car GR.4 (or whatever) legal. Once you've bought them all there is a special 'homologation' button which sets your car as an actual Gr.4 car.
Essentially we just need the old "Racing Modification" button brought back with this homologation option. Back in GT3/4/5/6 we had a Camaro LM race car.

Last edited:
Well, Nissan had GT4 versions of both 350Z and 370Z long before GT Sport was released. .
Still, they made us a GT-R Gr. 4.
There are GT4 versions of Audi R8 and Mercedes AMG GT, still don't have it in the game. At least the Audi TT cup isn't fictional like the Mercedes SLS Gr 4.
Already mentioned McLaren situation too.

The thing was taking shortcuts when finishing GT Sport.
Camaro '15 was one of the last models to be rendered in the game, they already and been working on body kits to Corvette, so a Corvette Gr 4 it was. Same with the Mercedes AMG GT. The Z33 wasn't even in road car form in GTS, so why bother to make a Gr 4?

After all, they couldn't use GT3 nor GT4 as class new, just took advantage of that to take some shortcuts
I feel they chose the GT-R over the Z as Gr.4 car since GT-R is considered as more flagship (apart from lack of Z33 as you mentioned - but see the Scirocco).

Ditto for all the manufacturers really. There are fake Gr3, Gr4 and even Gr 3 road car versions of so many models, even extra GrB models for some like the WRX and Lancer.

The NSX was likely because of they needing a mid-engine Gr.B rep, in vein of the RS200. The RCZ was that too, plus it being designed as a hillclimber. The 86 happened because of CS-R3, I guess - they were pushing the 86 as a customer rally car at one point (it even has the CS-R3 livery by default).

PD add the Gr.4 Swift, but still no Gr.3 representation. Veyron is still out in the cold.
What would Suzuki use as Gr.3 car though? (I asked this back during Manufacturer's Exhibition in 2019 when they instead ran a Lexus with livery of their MotoGP team).

I feel they chose the GT-R over the Z as Gr.4 car since GT-R is considered as more flagship (apart from lack of Z33 as you mentioned - but see the Scirocco).

The NSX was likely because of they needing a mid-engine Gr.B rep, in vein of the RS200. The RCZ was that too, plus it being designed as a hillclimber. The 86 happened because of CS-R3, I guess - they were pushing the 86 as a customer rally car at one point (it even has the CS-R3 livery by default).

What would Suzuki use as Gr.3 car though? (I asked this back during Manufacturer's Exhibition in 2019 when they instead ran a Lexus with livery of their MotoGP team).
They good build a modified Swift. Same as the Alfa 4C and RCZ, Beetle. Lower, wider, extreme.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the fourth generation camaro. Aw.

I hope they'll eventually include the 90's Camaro so I can slap a widebody and rear spoiler on it and call it a trans-am racecar.

Chevrolet_1996_Camaro_460195 (1).jpg

Back