Why no Gr.4 Camaro for Chevrolet?

• Thread starter Egghaus88
  • 37 comments
What would Suzuki use as Gr.3 car though? (I asked this back during Manufacturer's Exhibition in 2019 when they instead ran a Lexus with livery of their MotoGP team).
Kizashi or even better the Kizashi Concept 2 or 3

kizconc.JPG
kizconc3.jpg

A "detuned" Escudo Pikes Peak for Gr. 3 would also have been awesome

escudo.JPG

Last edited:
I feel they chose the GT-R over the Z as Gr.4 car since GT-R is considered as more flagship (apart from lack of Z33 as you mentioned - but see the Scirocco).
Well, for sure the Mercedes AMG GT is the flagship of Mercedes, not the old model, but still they put the old one in Gr. 4 suit. Despite there is a real world AMG GT GT4 version and never existed such a version of the SLS.

Missed putting the SLS Gr. 3 in too. That was a glorious GT3 car. Loved the fact there was the ability to blow the gull wing doors off if it would end up on the roof in a race.

Well, for sure the Mercedes AMG GT is the flagship of Mercedes, not the old model, but still they put the old one in Gr. 4 suit. Despite there is a real world AMG GT GT4 version and never existed such a version of the SLS.
It was probably cheap and easy to reuse/repurpose the AMG Academy version. Yet, it STILL does not make sense to spend the time converting the FF cars to MR and not make the new AMG GT Gr. 4, to match the available 2016 GT3 model.

I'm of the opinion that Gr.4 class should've been scrapped from the game, the GT4 cars are almost road cars, with the tuning system of the game you can apply to any road car the modifications the GT4 cars have IRL, such as sequential transmissions. Some of the road cars with Gr.4 versions in GT7 even have the Gr.4 parts available. Besides, tuning cars is more fun.

Gr.4 is meh, has always been meh in GT Sport, slow and underpowered cars with too much grip. The Alfa 155 is a proper race car and destroys everything in Gr.4.

Gr.3 cars on the other hand are much superior to any road car and you can't make a road car drive like a GT3 car just with tuning. Those cars are worth having in the game, despite also being outdated. They're actually fast and demanding, unlike Gr.4.

IMO the Camaro wasn't used because it was more economical for PD to simply reuse the Corvette. I would have preferred the Camaro, of course.

The basis is that it’s a cost effective series to the more expensive(and yet, cost effective) GT3 series. The cars aren’t slouches, with 400-500hp before BOP. Sure, any tuned cars have more BHP and more downforce for whatever Time Attack or non-GT3&GT4 regulated series. They’re essentially customer cars, built for amatuer racers. I’m sure you know this.

Anyway, it’s just how PD went about it for Manufactueres and still are carrying it forward with GT7. Been like this since GT1. It’s just, there was no GT4 series in the late 1990s. We got JGTC cars with 500bhp and the GT300(BHP) cars. Le Mans GT1 and Super Touring cars. Super Taikyu cars(Mitsubishi GTO, Group A) that are similar to GT4 cars in being homologated production based race cars.

The problem will continue to be PD, not the classes, per se.

So I made my own Gr.4 Camaro to try and use in the WTC 700 races. It is quick but definitely hard on fuel, I cannot do a no stopper in the Laguna Seca to beat the Suzuki Swift. I suppose I cheated a bit by adding a wide body, I don't think Gr.4 really has that. I tried the standard SS and ZL1 but the ZL1 just has better turn in even with similar setups.

Attachments

• 1805b8f34b682-screenshotUrl.png
    1805b8f34b682-screenshotUrl.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 15
Back