Why not a console release?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 13 comments
GTP_Royalton
PCARS and Assetto Corsa are on console

Why not iRacing? Im sure the PS4 and Xbox One can run the game decently enough.

Maybe just a digital only release?

I doubt it's worth the cost of development either, for what would undoubtedly be a niche product.

I'm not so sure the console market would respond well to the exact same subscription model, ontop of the fact that barely anyone outside the sim racing audience (a niche group already) barely knows what Project C.A.R.S. and Assetto Corsa is.

How expensive can it be to put the game on the next gen consoles as a digital download only? PS4 and Xbox One are very similar to PCs, I cant imagine it being that tough to port the game over to them.

People pay $15 a month for Final Fantasy XV on top of PSN/Xbox Live fees, so price wont be an issue for people who are interested.

Just saying if something as small as Assetto Corsa is getting a console release, why not iRacing?

75% of the reason for me building a new PC is iRacing. I'd much rather it just work on my $350 console

Would the team behind iRacing be willing to give up revenue to Microsoft and Sony, on top of having to do all the required changes to the software for it to run properly on both consoles. On top of that, Microsoft doesn't allow cross-platform play, so that alienates one platform entirely.

How expensive can it be to put the game on the next gen consoles as a digital download only? PS4 and Xbox One are very similar to PCs, I cant imagine it being that tough to port the game over to them.

People pay $15 a month for Final Fantasy XV on top of PSN/Xbox Live fees, so price wont be an issue for people who are interested.

Just saying if something as small as Assetto Corsa is getting a console release, why not iRacing?

75% of the reason for me building a new PC is iRacing. I'd much rather it just work on my $350 console

Thing is, the console crowd is nothing like the PC crowd. Its all about plug-and-play. They are only willing to pay for subscripitions to Xbox live and PSN because unlike with iRacing, there's a large array of games, movies services and even discounted prices for same games & movies (which makes for one hell of a deal). All you literally pay for with iracing is for cars, tracks and racing online with others (something that people can do on the console for much less, at least going off the pricing I last saw).

Would the team behind iRacing be willing to give up revenue to Microsoft and Sony, on top of having to do all the required changes to the software for it to run properly on both consoles. On top of that, Microsoft doesn't allow cross-platform play, so that alienates one platform entirely.

There's also partially that (which is ironic).

it physically wouldn't work do to button mappings, the physics attention would probably stretch graphics and framerate to low for the average "gamer" (notice I didn't say racer...), and the amount of servers that would need to be dedicated to each console, and the type of racers that iRacing is looking to attract to, for every good driver on console, about 2 wreckers and bashers would join just due to the nature of the console, as 'Racecar' said, and has nothing to do with pc vs console.

I've played iRacing on a PC significantly weaker than a PS4 or X1 so I don't think hardware factors into it. I think the main reason is the devs prob don't want to go to all that effort for the relatively little reward they'd get.

The amount of people who didn't 'get it' when it was released on steam gives me the impression that a console release would go the same way.

Maybe and I'm not sure but one of the reason could be that the PS4 is like it said a playstation. It's probably not professionel enough for all the real virtual and real life iRacing racers. It makes iRacing sound like a game instead of a professional online race sim.
IMO, all sims are games but not all games are sims. So, iRacing is IMHO a game. :D

Also it is, when you have one PS4, impossible to play on a triple screen setup and impossible to have all the hardware, like button boxes, stand alone shifters (not sure about this) etc ... on the PS4.

I believe that iRacing runs on it's own servers? If so, is this possible with iRacing on the PS4? Is the online part of the PS4 good enough for iRacing?

I smiled when I saw this thread. I instantly remembered when it was rumored that iRacing would launch for Nintendo. Ha, imagine if it actually happened. :lol: :lol:

Back